KDE Neon

Im installing KDE Neon. What am I in for?

Attached: kde.png (230x51, 3K)

comfyness, assuming you like KDE of course.

The best KDE experience you can get (besides OpenSuse)

seems positive so far

its ok, I don't like ubuntu LTS, but its a really good kde experience.

slow ugly shit with scandalous defaults that uses 600mb idling

based

outdated packages, bloat

I'd argue they're on par with each other, aiming for different things. Neon wants to showcase the DE in its "purest" form while openSUSE expands upon it. Thinking mostly about yast when I say that.

For testing for kde devs.

I tried it and liked it. However, I use CentOS and Fedora for business purposes.

The best ease of use DE in my opinion. It follows Nintendo's "Kirby theory": the theory that things are more enjoyable when they're easy to get in to yet offer technicality for when it's desired.
I wouldn't recommend anything else to someone just getting in to desktop Linux, especially if migrating from Windows. I would have been sooooo much comfier with Linux right off the bat if I'd migrated to a distro using Plasma 5 instead of god-forsaken PopOS.

TL;DR: You're most likely in for a treat

Attached: neo4.jpg (3840x2160, 631K)

>What am I in for?

Disappointment

and don't judge my memory use too hard; over 2 gigs are taken up by an SVP filter running in MPV.
The "KDE is bloat" meme is long dead, I swear.

>The "KDE is bloat" meme is long dead, I swear.
Truth doesn't get in the way here.

Even with most of the default desktop effects enabled my Neon installation idles at 400MB.

Same here. Memeblur and qtcurve nudges it to 500mb. People talk about how even that's recource hogging. But, to those people I say: try to implement all the complex features KDE has by default into your special snowflake XFCE, openbox, etc. and see where you end up. I mean, seriously. Placebo eye-candy everywhere and just 500mb? How does that not deserve respect?

firefox won't have the file picker

Bugs.

Firefox has KDE file picker support, but it's experimental.

>install
sudo apt install xdg-desktop-portal xdg-desktop-portal-kde
>launch
GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 firefox

See:

20 hours of installation and 200gb used because you realllllllly need Konqueror in 2019

An outdated system. Install Manjaro KDE if you want an easy distro with almost bleeding edge packages.

Attached: 1547313028735.png (664x520, 177K)

That's pretty low compared to Gnome or Windows.

Prepare for the horror that is Ubuntu LTS
Most non-apt distros would fare better. This is not related to apt directly, it's just a coincidental indicator. Install Gentoo.
(Except for this one.) Imagine using a spinoff of a hobbyist distro maintained by utterly incompetent people.

You're in for KDE Neon.