/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 1497281189393.jpg (2272x1704, 997K)

Other urls found in this thread:

boston.craigslist.org/nos/sys/d/melrose-lenovo-t61-laptop-computer/6803523023.html
smartdeal.cl/
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

niggers

As a muh freedom autist, is a T420 with me_cleaner/reserve_hap good enough or should I just get a T500 and libreboot it?

What's my best bet for an X200 WLAN card upgrade? Could I just take a WLAN from an X230 or X220 and expect it to work under Arch? Or is there a whitelist and I need to flash Libreboot or some shit to get a better card?

I'm not gonna be a double cuck and waste time and even more money on getting this damn thing functional.

I'll buy something that works now, and upgrade/ repair as needed at a more economical price point.

Attached: NTR'd.jpg (924x900, 97K)

For me it's good enough but if you're a freedom autist like stallman you should go with libreboot.

Didn't notice the other thread was on its way out, reposting here.

Is it possible to turn off the loud beep that happens when I hit enter/f12 while booting on a T430? I found an option to turn off the beep when certain keyboard issues arise but nothing for this one, it's irritating.

rip out the speaker itself
keep it for beep codes though.

Guys, My T440p just died! It was working this morning but later today it just wont turn on.Plugging it in did not turn on the charging light. I tested the power cord on my siblings x1 and that work. I would assume that its the motherboard, but I wouldn't know that for certain. Can I trust the thinkpad motherboards on eBay or am I better off taking it to a repair place? Help me bros!

Attached: 1545295732694.png (500x366, 92K)

Sorry for the spelling, I'm phone posting.

Try taking out the cmos battery, powercord and battery
Hold the power button for 60seconds to 5min
Put everything back in and check if it works

my used x230 just came in the mail

what a beautiful machine

what's the diferrence between x1 carbon and t series beside the weight?

old keyboard or new keyboard for durability

new keyboard feels more solid tbqh

So one of the feet fell off of my x230 and I superglued it back on and got a little glue on the case. What should I use to get it off?

negligible difference in durability. bluepill is that they are different, redpill is that theyre just as good save some minor layout quips which honestly you should get used to anyway because it's standard on all computers now

>you should get used to anyway because it's standard on all computers now
FUCK APPLE AND FUCK CHICLETS

I have the new one right now but I fucked up the r key and it wont stay on. I think I like the look of the old one more. I havent used that style in a long time but on a different laptop brand I remember messing up a few of the keys by getting my fingers stuck underneath a nearby key when I had one pressed down. Can that happen with thinkpads? Ill just get another one of the new ones if thats the case.

post wpm

fuck apple

youre still a fag

The layout sucks ass, dude, but I'll give you that nuThinkpad's keyboard is the best of the worst.

Yeah the old one is more stuffy/anti-fashion cool and had a good layout. The chiclet design is reddit fashionfagging but is functionally no different, you won't be able to tell the difference when you type I promise. Unless you type by literally sliding your fingers from key to key like you have freaking ALS or something.

The new ones' layout is objectively worse. On the new ones the fact that you can't find home/end by touch is abysmal. Replacing the menu key with printscreen is useless.

For durability they are both equally bad, same as any laptop board. Both the new and old boards are basically un-cleanable on account of it being tedious/impossible to remove all the keycaps without snapping the tiny mm-scale clips & studs in the mechanism. They never go back together just right either even if you do get them off.

> Can that happen with thinkpads?
No that has literally never happened to me either on the old or new keyboards.

Dell's Precision laptop keyboards are slept on & thinkpad tier imo & even have a nipple mouse. But afaict they don't make any ~12" that aren't neutered in some way :(

Attached: walkman.jpg (600x841, 58K)

Where can I find thinkpads in Chile

Holy crap thank you user! I almost gave up trying to remove the stripped screw on the back pannel, but I managed to get it with some dremmel trickery. Taking out the battery worked, holding the power, and putting it back together worked thankfully.
So what exactly was the problem? What exactly causes this to happen I wonder?

you should get that screw out anyway.

I really dont know i assume its something to do with power cycling and bios. I just saw it online when my laptop broke and thought it was the dumbest shit ever, then it worked
enjoy

honestly have no clue why that shit works but I had to do exactly the same thing after buying my new motherboard in my desktop. Been more than a year since then and I haven't had any trouble.

What arr my chances of finding a think pad at a flea market ?

none

check craigslist

HP EliteBook 2170p HP
INTEL CORE I5-3427U 1.8 GHZ, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB 2,5", SATA, 11.6"

for 220 USD, is this a decent deal?

God Bless America

Attached: 35BF4AFA-2AD6-40BF-A0C6-8DCC77D8313F.jpg (3024x2268, 3.17M)

what's this dude's angle? Surely there must be a catch.

boston.craigslist.org/nos/sys/d/melrose-lenovo-t61-laptop-computer/6803523023.html

This, and visit local electronic stores/recycling centres - no doubt you'll find something you want.

yapo
wanna buy a fhd t440p kid

I wouldn't to be honest
Even for $40 you could use it for parts - if it isn't stolen or something i'd take it without 2nd thoughts.

might have the notoriously shaky nvidia gpu. ask if it has it and if so what month and year it was made.
>basic bitch thinkpad
>basic bitch operating system
>basic bitch rifle
only thing that’s impressive about that photo is the amount of ammunition you took the time to load. i bet you get killed by police before you get to the third mag if you try to an hero

I'm this guy
The screen cable just arrived and I replaced it successfully, but the lines are still there. Do I need to change the whole panel?

Attached: IMG_20190126_095039.jpg (3443x3024, 1.65M)

I really need to get a W520, but I can't pay out the nose for it. Am I gonna be waiting forever? Certainly feels like it.

Have you reminded a macook user you are better than him today?

Lcd controller could also be the culprit
Idk how you could tell if it's that or the panel though

>used 70% capacity authentic lenovo battery
>new knockoff chink battery
Which one? Most of the time my T450s connected to ac adapter. I just need the battery when I relocate.

Is there any chinese knock of these things?

Attached: ?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MTM1ODU5fGltYWdlL2pwZWd8aDg0L2g1YS85NDQ4MTYwMDAyMDc4LmpwZ3xkNDVjYzAwOWM1YmF (1000x784, 121K)

I'm mostly hoping. The fact is that when I move the lid the problem comes and goes: I can find almost safe spots where the lines are barely visible if you're close.
Since it's susceptible to screen movements and the LCD controller half of the cable is held in place with a screw I'm hoping I just need to change the panel.
This way I would also do the FHD upgrade, but if that doesn't solve the problem I would be really upset.
Here's a picture of the panel connector

Attached: IMG_20190126_113335.jpg (3024x2969, 1.92M)

if you have a soldering iron reflow all the pins on that connector

nice dude

The power button holding thing apparently clears a static discharge or something like that.

That fisherman saw some shit. Also wtf does stallman do on his laptop on a remote jungle river? I bet there's no internet there to read his emails

Unfortunately I don't have the skill nor an accurate soldering iron

does rms still use thinkpads?

Newfag here. Basically want a seperate laptop as a pseudonymous/anonymous device that I can run tails on at public places. Just an autistic haven without a big brother watching and knowing me. I read up on Intel ME and I think that's the last instance I have control over, rest is up in the air in terms of privacy.

I've looked on ebay, there are quite some good thinkpads. If I don't want the Intel ME risk, is any thinkpad with intel core2duo viable? Other recommendations? I think 2GB RAM are a minimum for tails.

Which one of the X range should I go for as my first memepad?

X220 looks nice but its pretty old now.

Can get a T60 for 40 eurobucks
Should I pull the trigger?

T400, strip ME / deactivate it with the NSA bit or if you want to support the third gender movement, libreboot it

is librebooting it enough to remove the botnet firmware?

I got a x200 tablet and the stylus's little clip on it snapped off and now it gets stuck inside the little container in the laptop when I put it in there. I bet I can get it out with small pliers but how do I make it not stuck in there when I put it in? The clip the broke off is long gone so I can't just glue it back on.

Yes, but consider again if you really support Leah and his pathology

x201 for peak comf

Attached: 635eb6302918fe8492cb72cdfd00d427.png (935x662, 363K)

Can a T420 play 1080p60 videos without dropping frames?

The x230 is a little better than the x220 except for the different keyboard. If you want native 1080p the x250 is alright but pricier for the same or sightly worse performance.

I'm a retard, can I trust minifree.org with that?

Yes, if you have extra money to spend

X230, make sure the screen is IPS, then if possible buy ones without ssd/ram so it'll be cheaper and you can upgrade it yourself
Unless you're in need of graphics power, or more than 5-6 hours battery life, there won't be that much difference buying newer models

So the clip is what controls the push-to-release mechanism?

I have a T400 that i wanna use as a server (keeping it closed but running in a bookshelf or something).
Is this an intrinsically bad idea?

Otherwise, i remember on another thinkpad there was a physical lever getting pushed by the screen, initiating sleep mode. I can't find any such thing on this thinkpad, so im guessing that must be done in software.
Arguably more a linux question. Is it relatively straight forward to disable sleeping when i close the lid, and either way tell it to boot without ever turning on the screen?

Attached: 1386752886194.png (140x145, 33K)

Bad idea in general
T400's C2D is pretty cold, but the hard drive will die pretty quickly
Just get a cheap refurbished server for like $150

ah, ok. i thought since i have a left over thinkpad i might as well. but if i end up wearing it down to the point where i need to get another server anyway, that's just extra work.
thanks for your answer.

Yes, he's currently using a T400s.

>you can't use software if you disagree with the devs
Autism.

yapo
mercadolibre
smartdeal.cl/

tell me which thinkpad to buy

Wrong, he has a x60

T25

stallman.org/stallman-computing.html

Oh, looks like he changed it recently
Lmao, Stallman falling for Leah's side project

Is there any reason to get an x201 over an x200, considering you cant libreboot an x201?

No.
I have X201 and the difference between it's first-gen core i5 compared to the c2d in x200 is detectable only in benchmarks
Also, X201's i5 idles at around 42-5 C, so the fan kicks in while doing almost anything else than idling, which is annoying (can be corrected with thinkfan though)

>US citizens: support the Raise the Wage Act, which would raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour over a few years.
For a freedomtard, he wants some limitation on wages.

>you aren't for freedom if you don't want freedom for corporations too
damn, stallman btfo

It's also the freedom of the worker. How can you negotiate your wages if there's $15 minimum wage law?

If you've been searching for a job, you might notice alot of companies requiring college degree in an entry level job.

Any ideas what good points will I bring up for my family about not buying overpriced shit? That laptop below 700$ is still a good machine?

I just can't seem to make them understand that they won't use them even to half their capacity, and price doesn't translate into value directly.

they saw you tinker with your shit and they dont wanna tinker. they dont trust you with the thinkpads. they trust the sales clerk making them pay extra for insurance, because it makes all of it someone elses problem

A good guess probably from personal experience, but I never did any physical tinkering, only software-related, which they couldn't have guessed.

It's fine by me if they buy a brand new laptop with a three-year insurance, but for fuck's sake do they really need a quad core processor, and 16GB ram for internet? Or a 1TB hard drive? Even if they fill it with movies, I know they'll switch to a new device two years from now on.

>get shot before you an hero
>before you an hero
NPC detected

God dammit ! why are there so many pictures of Stallman doing mundane shit and not paying attention to his surroundings while he's using his ThinkPad ?!!!! There's one with the dogs, there's one on the boat.. HOW MANY ARE THERE ?! why is Stallman so weird ?!

ps : post more "photos of Stallman doing mundane shit and not paying attention to his surroundings while he's using his ThinkPad"
please

Attached: 1537221979356.png (500x500, 149K)

you can coreboot an x201

It clears RAM I heard, if that's such a thing?

rms.sexy
Are you new here? rms is a sex symbol

post your waifu with her thinkpad

Attached: kanna thinkpad.png (802x1129, 851K)

Just purchased a mutitouch, matte screen for daylight while tuning my car, 8 ram, and 128ssd for $239.

In your opinion, what's the nu-thinkpad with the best island-style keyboard?

Attached: UNATCO.jpg (358x497, 19K)

yoga 460

Attached: IMG_20190103_095351.jpg (2688x1512, 675K)

cute

Attached: 1480001267996.jpg (1920x1080, 393K)

shitty trigger

Attached: 1342028260520.jpg (900x675, 138K)

this
chiclets are depressionville

Multitouch? So an x230 tablet then?

New upgrades coming in, MX300 525GB for $50

Attached: 20190126_231337_1_1.jpg (1500x961, 282K)

Just got a T470S from work
how should i pimp it out?
i was thinking about some snowden sticker for the lols

>Are you new here
no but somehow I had never heard about rms.sexy.
Is Stallman self aware ? is he posing or is he genuinely incapable of just enjoying the scenery when on vacation ?

He is answering mails (offline, and sending them when back online), he's basically a GNU/Rockstar