Mfw arch users spend their weekend figuring out why a specific component of Xorg broke down...

>mfw arch users spend their weekend figuring out why a specific component of Xorg broke down, but all it spits out is a cryptic/generic error message with no results in Google
>mfw gentoo users spend their weekend tweaking USE flags or whatever, waiting for LibreOffice to compile, or again, reading error messages
>mfw I can just click a few "Next"s and have a working system I can customize to my liking, never breaks, and overall just werks
Man, it sure is comfy to be me.

Attached: 1535258236483.png (245x324, 15K)

Debian testing breaks more often than Arch.

all this language shit is gay, just use macOS OP. It works.

Actually, if Mac OS gave you more freedoms, I'd consider it.

compiling FaOSS CAD Software on my Thinkpad running Arch right now

what kind of freedoms cant you get on macos?

The same freedom you would have on any other BSD.

>arch
true
>gentoo
partially true but only including the tweaking of USE flags, which is a recreational activity for them at this point
>debian
absolute trash. your packages are either older than dinosaurs or less stable than a schizo. maintainers are fags. its systemd implementation is among the worst and one of the main reasons why people hate it so much. apt is vulnerable and even with that fixed it's complete and utter garbage. tacked-on niggerrigged packagekit support. graphical installers are all horrible. manually syncing repos is so 1970 (*zooms away*). dependencies are a nightmare, so are custom repos. at least apt install -f works somewhat well. foss only is a bad policy for desktop usage.

I said: *if* it gave you more freedoms than it does right now

Well user, what distro do YOU recommend?

Gentoo if you have the brain capacity, time, will and resources to roll your own perfect desktop setup, but don't want to run your own repos for a whole distro. Make your own distro with custom-configured and optimized rpm packages if you have sufficient server hardware. rpm specs are about as configurable as ebuilds and dnf is great. As I don't have buckets of time available right now, I ended up switching to Fedora for now as it comes decently close to what I want for me. I will definitely set up my own repo for a few specific packages at some point.

Fedora+rpmfusion , gentoo is a waste of time

Why? And what advantages does Fedora have over Gentoo?

windows 7 professional doesn't have this problem

>he uses libreoffice

Laughs in LaTeX

So you don't ever have to take a quick look at a .docx file? Huh, the advantages of not working.

Debian neither, yet it's better than Windows.

They all know this deep down. The only issue is systemd which is pretty much in almost every distro, sadly
>o-old packages
They're not a problem and if there's bugs there's multiple ways to solve them. Or you can compile the newer programs you need.

If you want a rolling release distro avoid any debian branch, if not, use stable with backports.

Debian is about the same as arch.
But with ten years old software and bugs, no decent build system, no AUR, no good wiki, no real security, no drivers and a language police thrown in.

it's binary based, and has better tested packages. Meaning quicker to setup and easy to maintain.
You can consider it rolling since upgrades between releases are seamless, they don't have problems. I'm rolling 4.20 Linux right now on fedora 29.
And it's hardened by default with SELinux.
All of this you will get on gentoo at the price of your own time. And package will sometimes be broken unless you compile them with certain config or do a workaround, this happens less often on Fedora because of the large team testing and the release policy.
A bad thing you could say it is systemd, but in this case it's the best systemd distribution since this is where most fixes will come first, as red hat developers want to ensure it works since they backport those fixes to Enterprise Linux. So you have the less broken systemd distro. On Debian they still have security bugs from the last week because the systemd maintainer said fuck it and went to take a break. But this were fixed like in the same day they were anounced as CVEs, on Fedora.
Shilling this distro hard, sorry but I like it.

Debian netinstall is not minimal, I don't know why it is constantly referred to as such. There are hundreds of useless packages that contribute to bloat, and if you try to remove them, it wants to remove your DE along with them. Also

>"weboob" is considered offensive enough to remove from packages list
>but "thefuck" is perfectly fine and acceptable and inoffensive to keep around

Debian is a pathetic shadow of its former self and its community is full of mean-spirited hypocrites.

Debian is shit. Apt breaks all the fucking time, even without pinning. If a dependency isn't juuuust the way it wants, your system is hosed forever.

You can run most X11 software on Mac, you don't even need to run Aqua DE or Cocoa-toolkit apps if you don't want to.
I would definitely use MacOS if it were FOSS, but I don't hate using it occasionally because it's not bad at all.

Attached: image0-3.png (960x704, 957K)

If not for systemd bloat, would be king distro. Also, in principal they shouldn’t mirror nonfree repositories, but at least it is 100 free from start. Devuan is interesting, but too small a community.

wrong

it doesn't break, either on stable or on testing

maybe it breaks on sid, but that's not the case

I've been using debian for two years, it's quite stable, I never had to reinstall, and I have a job unlike you

It just works

"Debian Stable" is not stable. First of all, any software that interacts with an online API is doomed to be broken (e.g. mps-youtube, rtv, etc.). It baffles me that they even include these softwares in their repositories. Are they not aware that dozens of packages in the "stable" Debian repo are broken? If you use Debian you open yourself to vulnerabilities. All webkit browsers in Debian repos have security issues and crash all the time (e.g. install any webkit browser and open web inspector). Softwares in Debian are old. For example tesseract-ocr in Debian repos uses the old OCR engine, which is completely useless compared to the newer tesseract engine. Imagine finding out tesseract in Debian and converting many pdf books into text. It will be subpar quality, if you were using a rolling-release distro the conversion would be the best quality possible. Debian repos also miss many popular productivity software (e.g. Godot, azpainter, etc.). apt package manager is complete garbage. It will fuck up your dependencies, mark packages "manually installed" when you're checking if a package is installed or not, immediately start a daemon when you """install""" it. On top of these it's slow as molasses. If you try to use backports as a remedy for old packages, apt is guaranteed to fuck up your dependencies. Also apt syntax is cumbersome, its output is unclear and unhelpful. apt will also install gazillion of unneeded packages. If you use --no-install-recommends, apt will fuck up your dependencies sooner or later. Debian sucks in other ways too, namely systemd. So, install Void.

>ITT: JWZ and his drones doing FUD job

Calm down, JWZ.

>le arch breaks fanfic
how's 2008 treating ya?

>muh bloat
Are you trying to run a PDP 8 gramps?

>I have a job unlike you
Sure

this tb h