Is debian testing the final solution for distro hopping?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thenewstack.io/systemd-vs-linux-kernel/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No. Fedora is.

No, it's Gentoo.

I landed on Gentoo a year and a half ago and and it's so comfy nothing can make me hop again.

Maybe a decade ago. Not now. What's with all the Debian shilling lately? Damage control over censoring packages?

Bloat: The Distro

unironically debian distro for boomers

>fedora

Is Jow Forums finally coming around?

> Gentoo
cringe

I've been using Fedora for 10 years m8

>not using gentoo

No, Ubuntu is. Better GPU drivers by default. I tried Dolphin emulator on both and runs slow as fuck under a fresh Debian install. I see no point to Debian hen there's Ubuntu out there
Use Crunchbang++ instead fora bare minimal Debian OS

Fedora was my first "Linux" distro back in 2007, not using it anymore but recommend it for beginners or Ubuntu

Debian stable is all you need if time and security is valuable and you don't care of "new" features.

Ubuntu a shit

>what are weak dependencies
>security
nice joke

Nice argument you have there

Ubuntu unironically

cba to spend time configuring shit anymore, i want shit to just work

You know that testing is freezing for the next release right now, yes? It's gonna stop rolling until this summer.

Anyway this guy is right , 98% of the people here who complain about the age of the packages wouldn't notice anything at all if you put them on stable and then patched apt and uname to report that the numbers were still going up. They're just playing an MMO with package versions as their stats and gear.

no and yes?
imho, you will stop being distro hopper once you find a distro that suits you

Fedora is lighter than Ubuntu and openPepe.

Look, OpenSUSE exists, so you only need to try it out and find by yourself. Debian testing isn't very consistent with libraries versions, and occasionally you are going to run into problems because of that. In the other hand, OpenSUSE tumbleweed is just perfect, very solid in the library aspect mentioned before (even being a rolling release distro), very last software version, and if is your first time installing it you will find it very easy and with encryption options everywhere without the need of almost any knowledge of it.

So, Debian testing into trash, OpenSUSE is your main and only distro.

Regards my best friend, I love you (no homo)

How long did it take you to install it?

No.
Debian Unstable is.

SystemD.
The Final Solution.

Attached: Auschwitz-birkenau-main_track(1).jpg (600x450, 68K)

Debian Stable for servers and Debian Testing for desktops. Always been my philosophy and has always just worked.

on early stage it breaks more than arch

No, Devuan ASCII is.

not just no but hell no,

debian shot itself in the foot when they switched to systemd, what debian should have done was made debian init_agnostic so the user could choose which init system they wanted, and there are several to choose from, there is the traditional sysV and the BSD style rc.d , openrc, runit,

Debian should have kept sysV as default, with the option of switching to any of the others that are available

can confirm, been on fedora for 10yrs

>the most popular and newbie friendly distro is shit

whats so bad about sysd

It is.

No. Built it yourself Linux is the final solution to distro hopping. You compile the Linux kernel yourself, then add on whatever options you want and roll your own distro. Anything less is pleb tier or a meme like Gentoo or Arch. All distributions are garbage but if you had to go with one just to save the trouble of DIY Linux than I'd go with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS which has support for 9.5 more years if you want to be lazy. Also, you didn't say desktop or server, as I run my desktop on a DIY and all my servers on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS because I want them to sit and run. I used to used Debian Stable for these but the new Ubuntu is better. Still not testing for a server because you don't need bleeding edge, you need stability.

>Debian
Linux as a whole switched to systemd Debian just followed suit. Blame Linus.

>debian stable is perfectly usable and just werkz
>NO DUDE TESTING IS BETTER
and that's why linux on desktop will never thrive, people don't want unstable shit but that's the rec you always get

Yes it is.

This
No, you have to reinstall it with every new release.

Linus hates poetteringware.

I can't wait until testing freezes, I'm tired of running apt update and seeing like 200 packages that need inconsequential updates. Rolling release are the biggest meme around

>Linus hates poetteringware
lel

thenewstack.io/systemd-vs-linux-kernel/

Most of the people that complain about systemd don't even use it for daily tasks anyway. Wtf do you care what init system you use when 90% of your computer use is just browsing the internet anyway, the other 10% is pretending like you are a programmer because you have a bunch of sub 1000 line "projects" started

>"weboob" is offensive and problematic
>"thefuck" is perfectly fine and inoffensive

The Debian community have gone off the deep end and have lost touch with common sense and morality. But of course this was bleedingly evident when Ian died and no one in the Debian community seemed to gave a hoot. No respect or gratitude, no appreciation for the man or what he did. No. There more pressing concerns. A package needed to be removed because it came to have the word 'boob' in it, though there is literally nothing with boobs, objectively speaking. "boob" is considering a bad word to use, but "fuck" is apparently perfectly fine. Debian and its community is a shadow of its former self; it died when Ian did.

Debian testing is shit, there's no effort into integrating anything and stuff breaks in subtle ways. Used it for a while, never again

>redhat
>fedora
Linus hates systemd.

For me it is opensuse.

yet he uses a systemd distro

And so do you

>98% of the people here who complain about the age of the packages
thats a bullshit debiantard lie. You'll notice when apps like youtube-dl stop working because they're too damn old.

Jokes on you. I just went back to using Windows instead of continuing on with Linux.

>jokes on you, I'm even more retarded than I pretend to be
Okay...

No and I'm running Debian Sid. At this point I might consider Fedora to be the goto distro. Arch for the guys that want that, centOS/debian for home servers, and gentoo for the dumbasses who want to compile literally everything.

There's no point in using gnu/Linux anymore. It's dead, and everyone involved are asshats.
Prove me wrong.
(Pro tip: you can't)

Another retard who never used gentoo but uses sid.

The burden of proof lies on the one who makes the claim.

At least it doesn't update when it is not asked.

Windows 10, or Ubuntu?
Also you can't Adobe, so fuck you chump.

Why does Fedora come preinstalled with 5000 packages? RedHat beta tester cuck

lmao if anything it'll MAKE you distro hop with how fucking trash it is.
Gentoo is the final solution for the linux kernel.
The real end to OS hopping is OpenBSD.

>what is net install

Install youtube-dl with pip you tard, that way you'll always have the latest version.

he hates its developers, systemd itself is a nice idea to unify userspace. Something Linus has said he wants for Linux. But it needs people who aren't cocky assholes like pottering, sometimes they have reported a systemd bug caused in conflict to the kernel, as a Linux kernel bug instead of fixing systemd.
Try Fedora, think of it as a 6 month release Debian. Except things actually get updated. You need to add rpmfusion because of licensing problems, rpmfusion has international licenses or something like that so they can add ffmpeg codecs, and in Fedora itself they can't because it is US based, but think of it as a the non-free repositories of Debian (except RPMfusion is divided in free and non free).
Oh and dnf is slower than apt because it does a lot of shit, so be patient. Do a net install and it is very similar to debian, no need to start from the live distro. And the installer is way better. I think I'm gonna make a thread to shill Fedora since I like it so much now, I've distro hopped a lot

OpenBSD is a joke, especially if you are using anything but a bare install (which is useless for desktop)

KDE NEON

Im thinking about switching to Gentoo but I don't want to compile everything just some things.
Calculate has the same problem as Mint, to much preinstalled.
I'll try Cover in a vm to see if it's a good meme.

If I use a binary overlay can I have portage compile programs if I want it to? That sounds like a improvement over the AUR.

Attached: 1488763294948.jpg (407x653, 26K)

You're a joke for not knowing how to use a computer.

>he hates its developers
Sauce
>sometimes they have reported a systemd bug caused in conflict to the kernel, as a Linux kernel bug instead of fixing systemd.
Isn't this the first rule of kernel maintenance if quoting Linus, so they would be correct in considering it a "kernel bug".

>If you say that my toy OS sucks then it must be because you don't know how to use it

He doesn't hate systemd developers, you are exagerating. He only had conflicts with a handful of them.
There's times where systemd did expose kernel bugs like the one that bricked motherboards with an awful efi implementation.

>if i don't know how to use a tool then it must be a toy
bad b8 senpai

I don't think I'll distro hop anytime soon. I just settled with debian two weeks in and never looked back. There are some concerns with their politics bullshit, but I quite like it aside from that. These days I'm looking more into switching to KDE more than anything.

that time I think it was a kernel problem but Linus was ranting on google+ regardless
> "I don't actually have any particularly strong opinions on systemd itself. I've had issues with some of the core developers that I think are much too cavalier about bugs and compatibility, and I think some of the design details are insane (I dislike the binary logs, for example), but those are details, not big issues."
I know, and so saying that eh hates systemd is stretching it too far for some few development conflicts

Ubuntu LTS or Debian Stable for school laptops?

Sure, after all you don't want to feel like you wasted all that time of your life configuring flags and compiling from source.

>debian testing
>more problems than the unstable version because it has dependencies of packages that do not exists yet
yeah it's the future, but too much ahead

>OpenBSD
LMAO

If you can't use openbsd as a daily machine then you're retarded.
This is the final redpill.

youtube-dl is a simple tool that requires no compiling or configuring. You have many options available for installation without the Debian maintainer handholding you, including a command-line update option.

#1:uhhhhh no.
#2: package counter, checked and Kek'ed!

Attached: file.png (164x54, 4K)

no

it's what initiates it