/ag/

Speaker and audio system general.
What are Jow Forums approved speakers and setups?

Attached: aaO410.jpg (1080x1920, 1.53M)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundonsound.com/reviews/pioneer-rm-07
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: d77aace72bb1947bf2b91ddfc57fa01a_1024x1024.jpg (800x800, 56K)

D I Y
I
Y

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1066, 109K)

pioneer rm-05/07

Attached: 56DB7078-BDA6-4AC3-AA4A-D7E83982F735.jpg (472x312, 34K)

o410 and kh420 are hard to not approve

I have cheapo edifier monitors. They sound breddy good imo.

Attached: 915DxQnParL._SX466_.jpg (466x466, 21K)

Attached: liquido-75000-antes-130-mil-full-range-akai-fostex-D_NQ_NP_20810-MLC20197583971_112014-F.jpg (675x1200, 163K)

what's this?

Realistic brand plastic junk. I'd bet they sound hollow af

why does everyone seem to love bookshelves so much? towers are the way.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x632, 30K)

because they don't have any space in their basement bedrooms

towers with a sub sounds perfect. sucks for them.

Easier to handle, can setup on your table or on a stand, adjust their height and position easily.
They have many advantages over towers.
I personally like towers and how they look, but things like in OP is much better in terms of flexibility of placement (if you want large speaker). I wouldn't call that a bookshelf though.

i suppose but towers are usually at an optimal height because of their very nature. the only way i can see bookshelves making sense it if you literally have no way to scoot anything over to make space or you want to do surround with bookshelves all around mounted high up on the wall.

Mostly over priced and they all look like shit even if they cost thousands of dollars and are made out of hipster approved wood with some grandiose back story of their origin or some dudes signature on it. No one has a clear opinion on the range of products since people spend too much money on one thing and then force themselves to be loyal to a brand.

Because bookshelves are cute, and bookshelves+sub(s) is equal, or superior to, most towers' performance.

Only necessary if you have a large theater style room or hall that you use to entertain large groups. Otherwise it's overkill for insecure morons who think they can buy class.

Still more options. I can have use bookshelves as PC speakers and at the same time easily use them for living room. Can't do with towers.

Attached: jbl xpl 14.jpg (640x495, 28K)

you can use towers on a pc setup just fine if you prop them up to be on ear level with your chair position

You can, but you need to adjust your desk, adjust your table. While on bookshelves everything it takes to do is to buy adjustable stand. It's not that convenient.

Anyway what are tower speaker advantages? Just larger cabinet volume? That can be good, but looks like speakers similar to those K+H 410 already reach low enough, so no more cabinet volume is needed.

I need the cheapest amp that gives 50Wx2 RMS and a pre-out sub.

the advantages are the cabinet volume you get without needing stands, at least for a couch seat height
midfield monitors like O410 do need stands, massive ones

Guys, my sub cabinets won't be here for another god damn week. I'm dying staring at these things

Attached: 20190115_211312.jpg (622x1106, 134K)

After a long long though and some "4 week rule" ordering myself Neumann KH805 sub next week.

Stands are pretty cheap compared to the price of these speakers so it's not a problem. Stands last a long time and are adjustable for any speaker you can decide to buy later.

you know what's even cheaper? not having to buy stands

apparently they don't sound good

>bookshelve speakers are fine

Attached: FB_IMG_1548459554226.jpg (750x839, 50K)

Nice pussy

Attached: quality.jpg (800x600, 147K)

Onkyo TX-8020 is ~$140 on amazon
Pioneer SX-10AE ~$150
SMSL AD18 ~$145
Otherwise, go shopping for used.

apparently you are wrong
soundonsound.com/reviews/pioneer-rm-07

remember that last meter is most important!

>literally no clarity and detail

True, just add stands (and grille) price to those KH speakers price when comparing them to towers in performance then.

>He didn't buy a power conditioner

i've had bookshelves, bookshelves + sub, towers, and towers + sub.

1st place- towers + sub

2nd place- towers

3rd best- bookshelf + sub

4th best- bookshelves w no sub

the bookshelves took the same amount of space because they were on stands. the only advantage is price or the ability to put them right on your desk/on the wall.

Name a flaw
protip you cant

Attached: 20190126130620.png (1351x709, 376K)

why is class d more dynamic than class ab?

single amp channel with passive crossover defeats the purpose of building an active speaker in the first place
bundled with the highish price for the mediocre performance it's a clear do not buy

you joke but i hear mine click all the time when the fridge, trash smasher, or heater go off. i want my stuff to last.

yeah badly designed electronics will do that

What bookshelves and what towers did you have, though? We're they from the same line from the same company?

sorry i think we might be talking about different things

the power supplies in every piece of audio gear should filter what ever comes from the line to a point where nothing of that gets near the transducers. if that's not the case then it's badly designed

With its EQ options flat, the RM-07 has a slightly warm, almost BBC-like tonal balance, so it doesn’t immediately seduce with overt clarity and detail. But as I tuned in to its qualities I began to appreciate that all the clarity and detail is present and correct, it’s just presented in a neutral and undemonstrative manner. The RM-07 is not one of those nearfield monitors that will prove tiring with its insistent “listen to me!” character

true they were'nt all identical apples/apples but they were closish. first was ascend acoustics sierra bookshelf. later i added a rythmik f15 sub and had it crossed at 60 or 70hz. sounded pretty great but i wanted more. i saved up and got the sierra towers with ribbon tweeters. they sounded almost perfect crossed over at 50hz but i finally achieved happiness when i downgraded to a vented 12" sub. i think the smaller driver works better in my smallish living room. the 15" sealed subs would rattle the windows but i couldn't really hear it.

sorry if i wasn't clear. my equipment doesn't make any inappropriate noises. the power conditioner i recently installed makes a clicking noise whenever it has to adjust the voltage. that's how i know it's doing it's just and protecting my electronics during brownouts and other fluctuations. it's not about sound quality, it's about longevity.

Did you try EQ'ing the f15 to flatten it out in the room? I do agree that a smaller sub can work better in the same room, especially in music.

i only messed with the crossover and the volume. i probably could have done a better job in hindsight but i'm still happy with a smaller vented model. it seems easier to blend in this particular room.

Whether it is on a stand or placed on the floor is not really a concern with the volume of the cabinet. The large format mains are greater in volume than most tower speakers and have more LF output. Floor standing makes it easier to get the volume with a limited floor space.

O410 is a bit more limited down low than it might seem. The woofer is a pro-style woofer, so it is much more efficient in the midbass than the low frequency range. It gets the low-end from EQ and dedicated amplifiers.

An underappreciated aspect of home audio and Hi-Fi: If it just works, it works. I'm still on the verge of replacing an old JLB Sub150P (10-inch ported) with an SVS-SB1000 (or similar sealed 12"), but I just spent a day or two tweaking my MiniDSP to flatten out the response in the room/location, and I think I've got it good now. Gotta switch in my SB1000 from another setup in the house in to see if it makes that big of a difference, but then I have to start re-profiling the DSP for just that sub.

Anyone turned his attention to room treatment before? How did you go about it and what solutions did you go for?

Attached: IMG_2742.jpg (1024x765, 123K)

I just like how those speakers like this O410 look on stands. So nice.
Much better than most of the towers look.

buying and learning to use dsp is on my bucket list but i think i just got lucky and everything ended up working out with my setup. good luck with your project. good bass makes a big difference imo.

I build 6 free standing absorbers on wheels, 180x100x25cm filled with rockwool, measured before and after with REW. since it was way too fucking dry in the midrange I only used 4, partially covered with thin foil to let some more of the high end live.
after a lot of measuring, tweaking and positioning the speakers, absorbers and listening spot I decided on something, and slapped some thickish melamine foam on the remaining early reflection spots on ceiling and a door.
now it's the time to build some resonant absorbers to kill the remaining room modes, hopefully that's happening in march or so

So I'm guessing the rock wool is for absorbing lower frequencies?

yeah, it's a pretty dense material and in that 25cm thickness combined with the possibility to be placed in a certain distance from the wall these absorbers work down to 80ish Hz with good efficiency

My test idea was Ikea bookshelves and 6 inches of Safe'n'Sound. It absolutely absorbs sound when you stick it in front of the speaker no doubt but I need to find a better way to do it to make them wider to be more optimal. Diffusion on the back wall will be after I get a 4k Projector and AT screen

Attached: 20180908_180952.jpg (602x1071, 130K)

Are you ok with placing this stuff in your room?
Its nasty shit, you can't contain this mineral stuff with anything.

You glue fabric over it

Not really sure it can be contained with a fabric.

You know how the old saying goes: "Worry about highs, let the neighbors worry about bass."

only works with literal paper walls

The stuff doesn't just fall apart like saw dust you need a knife to cut it. Or you can get rigid fiberglass stuff if that makes you feel any better. My bookshelves are covered in a thick felt type material

What's the difference between "mid-field" and "near-field" monitors?
Better directivity control on lower end and higher SPL?

The P4's, N22 Desktop Amp & D1 DAC are pretty awesome.

In case of thicc brick walls they won't reflect bass though, they'll just absorb it.

How much have you spend on audio and gear Jow Forums?

That and a more distant summing zone. Larger speaker and such.

r8 my audio setup

Attached: 684B9537-3A89-416F-B5EB-51971388BDA3.jpg (4032x3024, 1.64M)

Finally. I've been autistically trying to pick some speakers but there are so many fucking options. Looking to spend $250-500 for a pair to place on my desk.
The fuck do I get? I want front ported, right? I won't be using a sub.

looks classy

Attached: 1539283478871.jpg (482x700, 105K)

well that's just wrong

15ish k

thx breh. what are those loud speakers?

Only gonna list the gear I use on a regular basis and not all the unused stuff sitting around

>Amount paid: $7,400 burgerbux
>Retail: $10,800

And I just spent ~$2,000 to build subs and the amp for them
>mfw realizing just how much I've spent in the last 5 years

Attached: 1540007654612.gif (500x500, 234K)

this is muh setup
cost around ~1800.- CHF

But WHAT is it?

It's literally no bass, the setup

Telefunken tl-41. 70's German stuff is quite often seen in thrift stores here.

Canton Karat 720
Onkyo A-9050
Onkyo C-7030

I had two Canton Sub 600 to accompany the bookshelves. I live in an apartment in a 100 year old house and I eventually decided to sell the subs. If I want good bass, I'll use headphones.

Location of the port doesn't really matter especially if you're putting them on a desk. I would take a look at Adam T5Vs

Maybe I should post what I'm considering right now
How about the monitor audio bronze 2?

Attached: 41S+s8e0NoL.jpg (365x500, 31K)

The desk is pushed up against a wall of course, that's not a problem?

Only if the speaker itself is also against the back wall with a rear port

Onkyo in general gud? I'm gonna move out soon and I've been thinking about an Onkyo AV receiver to tie the living room entertainment together.

Alright so its not a big deal then. Is Adam t5v the best pair to buy? There are many gorgeous speakers now. KEF q150, kanto , elac unifi ub5.
Should I just pick on looks?

KEF Q150 + SVS PB-1000/SB-1000

Are you mostly going to be listening while sitting at the desk? If so I would probably get near fields instead of bookshelfs

ideally you compare at a store or order a shitload and return everything but the pair you like best

I've read worriful reports about the lower end parts such as failing potentiometers on the A-9010. I also had a (low end) 5.1 receiver die on me after 7 years. If I had to buy a new one today I would buy Yamaha. Whatever you do, do not buy low end Onkyo.

you should get gold100

Attached: F9A6035F-B8E6-43BC-9AC2-04115402C6E9.jpg (600x450, 102K)

because class d is high tech

>SVS
overpriced meme

I have a thing for slim and tall towers

Attached: IMG_20190113_162749.jpg (713x950, 161K)

*cheap tech

Good to know, thanks.

I agree. My 14 year old Polk Monitor 60's sound great even without a sub. That's not to say I don't have good sounding bookshelf speakers, 'cause I do with my pair of original Paradigm Atom's. But when I listen, I prefer it on the larger speakers.