Archlinux user for more than 5 years here and never used anything else ever since...

Archlinux user for more than 5 years here and never used anything else ever since, redpill me on NixOS and why it could be better for a long-time Arch user

Attached: 487568?s=200&v=4.png (200x200, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Arch users should be sent to gulag to loose weight.

nixos and guixsd are both decent linux distros(I prefer guixsd for the scheme), but it would probably a better idea just to install the nix/guix package manager on your existing distro

A practically unbreakable system with reproducable builds and rollbacks needs no defense.
That we ever didn't do package management and OS design this way seems absolutely retarded retrospectively.
If you are unconvinced, you should prolly do us all a favor and kill yourself asap.

Attached: guixsd.png (462x287, 13K)

>redpill me on NixOS and why it could be better for a long-time Arch user
it's useless

Attached: 1518918327042.jpg (600x525, 51K)

>A practically unbreakable system with reproducable builds and rollbacks

do you mean it's like coreos where I can set /etc and installed applications once in a yaml file and install it via this config file automatically everywhere? that sounds awesome tbqh

how updated are the packages? I mean I hope they are as up-to-date as in Arch, also what about the missing packages? can it connect to AUR?

Hi, I also was an Arch user and moved to NixOS (I still use Arch on some machines though).
In fact my progression was Linux Mint -> Arch -> NixOS
You should consider using nix instead of the AUR for some packages not in Arch's repos. It will help get your feet wet if you don't want to switch OS. It is a portable package manager after all.
In addition.
Benefits
>stable, non rolling but still up to date
>super atomic, an update won't break things, rollbacks possible
>declarative package management and service management in one config file (configuration.nix)
>functional programming
>source based, but with a binary cache (aka not retarded like gentoo)
Cons
>Things aren't where you expect them to be, /bin/ only has sh, /usr/bin/ only has env
>may have to learn FP (the nix language)
>the way that it gets things to work may be considered harmful in some crowds, by using symlinks and the PATH variable extensively
You don't get the benefit of service management and a config file that describes the state of your system if you do that though. It's still good just to get your feet wet.

I've only used Guix and GuixSD so will speak about them, but I believe everything should also be the case with Nix/NixOS.
The main thing that sets them apart though is everything in GuixSD is configured with based beautiful Guile[Scheme(Lisp)] - So anything you want to do with the OS or package management can be easily extended humanely by you via normal lisp declarations.
Your entire OS is just defined by a text file of these normal lisp declarations. At any time you can change or write a now file and run a single command - Guix will then build you a new, perhaps completely different OS from this and spit you into it when it's ready. If something goes wrong or you don't like whatever, you previous working OSs are available in GRUB - You just reboot and roll back to something that worked.
There's so much more, just go read about it - Yes, it's worth it.
I've been using GuixSD as my main OS for a couple years now - And even though it's still in beta, I've found it to be even more stable and reliable than pre systemd Debian.
In a few years you're going to see all the major players trying to [poorly and incompletely] recreated all the glorious work these guys have done - Meta configuration, standardized processes not products - This is obviously the foreseeable future of OS design and development.

Attached: installguixsd1524415298200.jpg (2160x2160, 3.25M)

Install GuixSD

INSTALL NIXOS

Attached: cirnux.png (1366x768, 820K)

on distrowatch some nigger is bitching about a different file structure of the system and this is why packages don't work for him. how true is dat?

Guix does not install packages to the standard unix file hierarchy places.
The benefits gained in doing this far outweigh any complaints regrading nostalgia for how things were first done in the 70s and one"s inability to change anything they've gotten used to.

Void's pretty good.

how do you set a package up you want to use, write a config with thousands of references?

>five years of using one of the worst linux distros

Attached: 1548349412656.gif (700x700, 96K)

You can write most package configs decoratively on Nix/Guix, so when you install a package like Emacs or Vim, for instance, it already comes with all you plugins & configurations.

gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages
Not at all - Some of course are going to be more complex and involved than others, but Guix makes defining your own packages very straightforward, simple, and humane.

Attached: OOVNpcU.png (688x1430, 156K)

Attached: please upvote my i3 gaps rice.png (688x1430, 159K)

Lol nice fan edit, the tree even still has pacstrap written on it
And gentoo is easier to install than arch now because it comes with an installer these days

error corrected bro don't worry
was almost embarrassed but then you said
>gentoo comes with an installer
OH NONONONONONONO

Attached: please upvote my i3 gaps rice.png (688x1430, 162K)

If you switch, be prepared to have to install packages to change settings that could otherwise be easily managed with config files.