Reminder you can install a whole house surge protector easily

it'll protect all your large appliances

Attached: 1539961786948.jpg (1000x1000, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nycosh.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/FS-Electrical-FS-I-120-volts.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=rdQR7-Ap6YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6hpE5LYj-CY
hipages.com.au/article/how_much_does_an_electrician_cost
buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-101-most-insane-things-that-have-ever-happened-in-florid
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Great blog

Just buy new stuff when your appliances die. You aren't poor, are you?

don't live in a 3rd world newyork or London apartment that you pay fuckloads for.

only from external surges

You can't turn off the power to your house to install that unless you're a licensed electrician.

Just install it on live mains, I don't see a problem. Get those gloves if you are afraid. It's not a rocket science.

low iq future darwin award winner

just turn off the master breaker you fucking idiot, i installed the thing in like under 15 minutes

based

>t. Never worked a day in his life

No laws against that here and this is the first world. Sure it's the nggr n juden free 1st world though.

Don't forget a UPS also, enterprise grade UPS with batteries still ready to go for a few years are literally a couple dozen euro these days on corporate sales.

Attached: 1548499011520.jpg (324x282, 30K)

>I can't do what I want with the house I own unless I pay a (((licensed))) electrician $6,000,000 to flip a circuit breaker first

how do you think a licensed electrician turns off power to your home?

Wait, don't houses in the US have surge protectors in the fusebox?

only the old homes built before computers were invented

this

literally just move house if ya power is shit.

you made a bad investment its ya own fault.

This is great and all, but 20A is fucking nothing.

it'll protect from internal surge too

>it's the nggr n juden free 1st world though
Okay so that rules out Canada, Australia, all of Western Europe, and the United States (really 2nd world but, you know)

What country are you talking about, exactly?

Not everyone is a low voltage pleb.

It's still nothing, even at 240V.

Imagine living in a country where there aren't surge protectors integrated in the power lines.

Attached: murica.jpg (563x459, 51K)

Nope

>imagine living in a country

>obeying unconstitutional laws
S O Y B O Y

This.
My tiny shitbox townhouse has 40A per floor and a 120A mains breaker.

>imagine living

they disable it from the meter, not the box.

>mfw my house doesn't have a main breaker
>mfw the breaker is on the end of the house surrounded by finished walls on all sides
>mfw all aluminum wiring from the late 60s
feels goodman ;_;

Pulling a meter takes all of 30 seconds.

enjoying those light flickers and dead hardware, chump?

nothing dead, but it sucks worrying about wires breaking when I want to change a fixture or switch. can't rewire or add more circuits unless i tear the shit out of my drywall. fucking sucks.

>having to do all that extra work instead of just replacing the surge protector.
The mere fact you bring money into the equation as an assumed reason suggests you are poor.

a friend had the same issue. he called his electrical company and they fixed it the next day. replaced his entire alu wiring.

throughout the entire building? why would the utility front the cost for that? or are you referring only to the line from the transformer?

nah, it was a house.

and yeah, the issue was just from outside his fence into his house

NEVER EVER EVER IN YOUR FUCKING LIFE FUCK WITH THE GOD DAMNED MAINS UNLESS YOU'RE SURE YOU WANT TO FUCKING DIE

nycosh.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/FS-Electrical-FS-I-120-volts.pdf

Not only are you going to die but it's going to fucking hurt the whole time you're dying.

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Disregard.

Just pull the breaker dude

If you have never worked as an electrician a day in your life then you have no business fucking with the mains. All sorts of things go wrong at the mains including faulty breakers, if you're not even remotely prepared to deal with anything going wrong then you're probably going to die. I'm not okay with paying out the ass for half of the electrical work that contractors do but then again I actually value my life so I'm always conflicted.

youtube.com/watch?v=rdQR7-Ap6YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6hpE5LYj-CY

>t. has never use a volt meter in his life

>"a volt meter will save me when arcs burn a hole through my chest"
Stick to apartments lad.

Fuck man, it's not that hard. If you know even vaguely what you are doing, it is a thing you can learn how to do perfectly safely.

>videos about industrial facilities
what a fucking idiot you are

Yes, on every circuit not just one which is weird. Nice quads though.

Maybe it isn't but shit can hit the fan at any moment and do you have 10+ years of experience working with home electrical wiring to know what to do when things go wrong? This same kind of thinking is what causes little faucet leaks to turn into flooding resulting in ceiling/wall/floor damage.

You don't need a gorillion volts for arc flashes to occur, it has been known to occur in your average home mains. Maybe it will be a few thousand degrees less hot but it's still going to melt your skin and pop your heart like a water balloon. I don't know much else but I know enough that I don't want to play pretend electrician anytime soon.

There is absolutely nothing in a home installation that could go wrong that needs an immediate response other than "turn the damn thing off at the big switch".

Are you an electrician with 10+ years of experience in home wiring? If not then shut your face, you could cause someone here to at best set their house on fire with your retarded advice. If electrical stuff was that fucking simple and devoid of horrifying things that could go wrong then nobody would have to pay these greedy cunts and arm and a leg to install a few stupid lights or outlets.

RCD's / GFCI are standard on pretty much all Australian homes from the fuse box, so all outlets are protected if the appliance has a working ground.

Also, 240V master race

Attached: mk-fuse-board.png (570x427, 180K)

>Are you an electrician with 10+ years of experience in home wiring?
Nope.

>If electrical stuff was that fucking simple and devoid of horrifying things that could go wrong
I'm not saying it's devoid of horrifying things that could go wrong. Pay attention to what I'm saying.

>Also, 240V master race
How much do electricians over there charge you? 120V can already kill you if your hands are even a little sweaty, 240V must be able to kill you on contact.

lmao kill yourself
it's a fucking house installation, not rocket science.

you're a fucking idiot.

>240V must be able to kill you on contact.
Don't fucking touch it then, isolate before you work on anything retard.

Don't forget about how thicc your copper needs to be to push the same power at 240v.

I bet you still boil water on the stove

Attached: 9364136_ra.jpg (638x770, 44K)

in australia its illegal to replace a lightbulb

Nah not me, I like being alive. If you guys want to die that badly there are better ways to go than getting electrocuted to death. Hell even the electric chair on death row which is supposed to kill you quickly has been abolished.

If you think electrocution is the main hazard when doing amateur electrical installations, you have no business being anywhere near this thread.

240 is also easily survived by plenty of people. Duration of contact, resistance, etc. matter a lot here and it’s kind of ridiculous when people just go by voltage alone because 99.9999% of people who’ve ever been shocked by 120 have been perfectly fine afterwards.

Yeah. Gas is a lot faster and more efficient than electricity.

>99.9999% of people who’ve ever been shocked by 120 have been perfectly fine afterwards.
I dunno man, one of my uncle works as an electrician and he's always drinking even during the weekdays when he gets home from work. If all those zaps don't kill him first, his liver will.

Its not faster idiot, and its way more inconvenient

Being an electrician isn't dangerous if you aren't stupid.
Treat everything as live.

>"Many sparkies will charge a flat service fee and a per hour rate. The service fee will often cover the first 30 minutes they are working on your job. Expect them to charge a service fee in the region of $70 - $130 and $70 - $95 per hour"

hipages.com.au/article/how_much_does_an_electrician_cost

shiiiieeeeeet, that's about 5X more than I make being a web dev.

fuck off i'm not going to pay you for simple stuff like breakers

yeah fuck them, just install your own surge protection breakers, it's easy as fuck

This, the paramedics will probably only take 5-10 minutes to come shock you back to life. You'll still be half-alive.

its fucked. same shit for plumbers because replacing a washer is also illegal.

your business must be down eh

Fuck man, are people here really so incompetent that they couldn't wire up a power socket without killing themselves?

You have no idea man, the average american has the intellectual prowess of a mouse.

buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-101-most-insane-things-that-have-ever-happened-in-florid

I'm a residential electrician. It's not as hard or as dangerous as it looks. If you can think logically, act safely, and put in hard physical work without fear of getting dirty, you can do it. It's pretty good money and I choose to work 3 or 4 days a week at most, usually less.

Are you also a rampant alcoholic?

forgot to mention I'm in murica. Operating legally in my city only requires insurance. Just about anyone can do it.

No, but I smoke a lot of weed.

Well he’d be one of the 0.00001% of people who have ever touched 120 and had any health issues or death afterwards. Almost all others become immortal

>because replacing a washer is also illegal.
What? No, it's not. You're just not likely to get insurance cover if you fuck it up and flood your house.
Same with electricians.

washers are not hardwired here senpai, they just use standard 10A plugs

this
I got slapped with a $400 fine from switching the stock 40W bulbs to 15W by the inspector because I didn't have a permit

If you're not a fucking idiot and have a few years electrical experience, there is nothing wrong with working on live panels, if I'm working on a live panel when having to pull wires or feed wires from it, I always cover the mains lugs with cardboard, it's not perfect but it works, its more than what most electricians do to work safely.

What if i have literally zero knowledge about electricity

>What? No, it's not. You're just not likely to get insurance cover if you fuck it up and flood your house.
>Same with electricians.

If the work is up to code or surpasses it then it's fucking nothing.

>imagine

>What if i have literally zero knowledge about electricity

Turn the mains breaker off or better yet pull the meter if you're not confident and always check everything with a voltmeter afterwards just to be sure.

Exactly.

>Turn the mains breaker off or better yet pull the meter
Always check after you turn the main breaker off that where you are working is not live anymore. There have been cases of really, really, shitty work people have done where they bypass the main breaker because they're fucking stupid.
Always check.

>There have been cases of really, really, shitty work people have done where they bypass the main breaker because they're fucking stupid.
>Always check.

I've seen retards do that kind of work and is why I always double check with a voltmeter NOT a tick tester.

>with a voltmeter NOT a tick tester.
Ever since I fucked up and put my tester on DC mode I do both plus shorting the wires to ground just in case neutral isn't neutral to ground.

>Ever since I fucked up and put my tester on DC mode I do both plus shorting the wires to ground just in case neutral isn't neutral to ground.

indeed

It's only 240V, just blow-dry your hands to keep the skin resistance high.

My dad got hit with 220 a couple times, still kicking.

I have a master breaker but i would feel rather confortable working live with gloves on.

Also i got hit by 640v dc once when making a DIY gauss gun and didnt feel shit, just the smell of burnt flesh.