Plex or Kodi?

Plex or Kodi?
Leaning toward Plex for seamless web streaming but requires a $200 purchase.

Attached: plex-vs-kodi.jpg (630x378, 32K)

Kodi doesn't transcode.

Which means you can't watch shit outside your house with anything less than a superb internet connection on both ends.

You get plex and you can either use the plex frontend or just kodi.

this, if you want to play unsupported media on a device plex is the easiest way because it transcodes on the fly.

Why would it cost 200 dollars? Just put it on a computer you already own.

Those aren't really the same thing. Kodi is media player with plugin support and an interface geared towards HTPC use. Plex is a media server. What do you want? You can use a Plex server from Kodi with a plugin, what are you even looking for?

You don't need to pay anything to use Plex. For mobile streaming you need to buy the app, or use the client with chrome or something but the experience is kinda shitty.

You have to pay up if you want hardware transcoding in plex. Basically a must if you want to stream outside your house,

GPU transcoding was put behind a paywall a while ago, which is a shame because realtime encoding on x264 or x265 is near impossible on slower processors.

>$200 purchase.

but it doesn't cost 200 dollars. A lifetime pass is 150 and its 5 bucks a month otherwise.

>Basically a must if you want to stream outside your house,
What? How do you need hardware accelerated transcoding to stream outside your house? The two issues aren't even connected.

>slower processors
What do you mean by slow?
i have a 3rd gen i5 and transcoding x264 and x265 works perfectly fine. Even 3 or 4 transcodes at a time. No problem at all

This

It uses your GPU bro, there's no way in hell you're transcoding 3 or 4 1080p/4k video streams with x265 at the same time in realtime.

No GPU in the server, no Plex Pass

1. you can software encode with plex just fine with basically every CPU, it's free
2. hardware encoding is ugly
3. if you live in a civilized country you don't even need transcoding; I can stream raw files from my plex server on my phone

Well don't do x265 then dummy

Why can't some user make an open source Plex clone?

Odds are you don't need hardware transcoding in the first place. I presume you primarily use Plex at home?

Also you can watch 1080p via 4G just fine. I haven't had any problems watching Plex's 1080p streamed content from my S8+, and I don't have a Pass.

>3. if you live in a civilized country you don't even need transcoding; I can stream raw files from my plex server on my phone
/thread

3 streams at a time, all three playing perfectly, no buffering

Attached: Screenshot_20190126_225517.png (1583x328, 287K)

You have cracked version of the Plex app on your S8+ then? Or do you use your browser on your phone to get to Plex?

You don't need a Pass to stream to your phone, you just need the App, which is $5 (not a subscription). The ads on the website are intentionally misleading, what it actually says is that if you want to download stuff onto your phone and use Plex in offline mode, then you need the Pass.

Plex + Kodi + MadVr

That's right. I forgot you can also pay the one time $5.
Still, I never watch on my phone and luckily casting from the app works in "free mode"

Yeah, I don't either, but I'm not gonna complain about a one-time $5 expense on a box that cost me $1500.

>outside your house
>Jow Forums