Do i need to call my internet provider if i decide to buy a modem instead of renting one?

do i need to call my internet provider if i decide to buy a modem instead of renting one?

Attached: iu-[00.12.516-00.20.384].webm (437x1080, 2.85M)

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA OH MY G*D IS THIS HOW IT WORKS IN MUTTMERICA

Attached: 1521695448698.jpg (5000x5000, 1.76M)

BUTTE
LOLE

Yeah you provide the MAC and they whitelist it. It's so people don't shanghai your network.

yeah in america, internet providers charge people like 5-10 dollars a month to use their modems
that adds up over time

just buy it niBBa

Do you want to continue paying for their modem?

Yikes. Just buy one online for 40 bucks.

Loving the anal devastation that America causes you. You can either buy your own modem or rent one from your isp.

>rent you modem
lamo good goy cuck amerifat rent goy cuck

Attached: 1548370301223.jpg (600x312, 44K)

yes
>mfw bought DOCSIS3.0 modem but only 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels since a few years old
>mfw ISP sends me upgraded one with 16 downstream and 4 upstream for free to make sure I get the best service
feels good. still even an Arris.

Attached: Screenshot_20190126_185234.png (922x919, 103K)

This, Used to be a cable tech,
Rent the fucking modem, it comes with free docsys upgrades and since 3.1 is the current standard you are actually fucking yourself by not getting your ISPs modem.
Because of Band-steering your ISP may lock you out of certain downstream carriers, or just lowers the QAM value of carriers off your node if not enough people have cable up to spec.

>40 SNR
>below 5dbs and above -5 on every downstream carrier
>almost at 45 TX
I see you are a man of class, post IFCR

you misunderstand, i was not renting and they still sent me an upgrade for free. because of their QOS i was cutting it close with my 100Mb/s plan

yes, i like my healthy levels. ifcr not available on my local modem page.

nice try chud

Attached: sandyteeth.jpg (205x246, 7K)

They sent you an upgrade because it's very likely your modem was effecting their plant health being unable to bond to those 8 carriers, and it may not have had band steering properly implemented.

no, it was literally because of their QOS and they only allowed something like 30Mb/s per bonded channel and with their speedboost shit it cuts it close to topping out. with 8 channels downstream now my theoretical max on their network would be ~240Mb/s

Attached: chrome_2019-01-26_22-08-54.png (919x1077, 81K)

oh god I just wanna yank up her dress and forcefully insert my penis in her pussy

Who's the best kpop star and why is it IU

>rent
>buy

wut. they dont just give it to you over there?

Attached: chelsea clinton.jpg (640x480, 46K)

Yeah you should, if they allow you to do that you have to ask them for what requirements the router has so you can purchase it with those requirements, some ISPs require VLAN and whatnots.
If they don't allow you to buy your own router instead of renting theirs then all you can do is to set a DMZ from their router to your router.
I like to just think of the router as part of ISPs infrastructure that happens to be installed inside the house.
That's how it works in Portugal too...

huh, ISPs aren't a charity, they don't give out things for free, the router's price is just included with the cost of your subscription and you don't even notice it.

They also tack on wifi that you cannot shut off shitting up your site and taking all the good channels.

>i am calling to find out what requirements and specifications any modem i purchase will need to meet in order to be compatible with my internet service provided by you guys
>yes, of course, sir, i will be happy to correct the problem you are having with your cable modem, can you please remove the power cable from the modem for 10 seconds and then plug it back in for me

I want her to brap so her skirt will fly up.

Attached: c42825a206bcc3c8fcc566c05f7e2b77.jpg (750x1000, 204K)

rolf, and also nice quads, oh I got trips too
Anyway, I only have experience doing that with busyness service, idk how it would go with home service t.b.h.

I used to buy my own modems. Then I had a problem and the ISP told me to contact the modem manufacturer. I knew that wasn't the problem so i switched my modem out for one of theirs and still had the same problems. They finally sent someone out and the guy found that rats had chewed up the lines going out to the pole. After that everything worked fine. Ever since then I just rent a modem.

>ISP using some janky fucking shit to connect you
>provided acc details don't work
>have to use their modem
it's why I want to into firewalls

Attached: 1514147294433.jpg (750x842, 73K)

No

They do. Don't know what nigger-tier providers everyone else is talking about.

Give it back, Tyrone.

No but they'll still charge you for the rented one if you don't

Wrong, cable modems are a line item. If you don't have a plan that explicitly include them it can be anywhere from $5 to $20 a month

Sometimes you do. Like they have to register the modem for it to work.

not op but should I only get a modem from my ISP and then buy a third party router so I don't have to deal with the shitty "all in one" that my ISP whats to give me

Is it really 5-10

In Canada it's like 2.95 and the modem is like $100, you need to be with them 3 years for it to be worth it and then you have to buy another when higher speeds come out the old modem can't handle.

Yes, the all-in-one units are only for NPCs and basically worse than a separate router at everything, besides maybe power usage.

>shanghai your network
thanks for making me spill my drink

but what is the most based router?
when is 802.11ax coming out?

>>>/sqt/
Depending on the ISP, you might have to call to activate it. Most of the time you can do it online.

It's worth it if the modem you buy yourself is better than the one they provide.

brap brap brap brap brap brap brap brap

>brap
>never an ass to be seen
huh?