queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because brainlets
also because it's not as fast as well-written c

>well-written c
nobody know if such unicorn exist

Because monads.

Cabal is awful.

because poojeet-tier retards with no knowledge of CS who infested software development can't wrap their brains around horizontal categorification of monoid

its the best language ever written, take the haskell pill and spend the rest of your days shilling it on Jow Forums

It's a lot of developmental burden for not a whole lot of benefit. Also it's not all that great compared to Idris

USE STACK

The burden consists of thinking about what effects you need and modeling that with MTL or whatever. That's about it, the rest is more productive than your average OOP lang.

Yeah, I agree. Haskell is the best language ever written. I think better languages exist and have probably even been implemented, but as a function of language quality *and* compiler quality, GHC is superior. What. A. Compiler.

No, it really isn't. If it were worth it, you'd see more usage. Most people are getting away with basic linting, test driven development and good specs in these oop langs and it works well enough with less burden.

It just isn't practical for real applications.
"Immutable" means "Time is wasted on copying shit", so performance is garbage and since side effects have to be nested in IO monads it's really uncomfortable to do them in Haskell.

They exist, but the real unicorn are,
>as fast as well-written c

this guy knows whats up, that fucking compiler gets my dick hard

Serious question, if the variables are never side-effected then you have to probably use recursion for repetative tasks. Wouldn't you run out of stack very quickly?

tail recursion in functional languages is based, stack space can get reused since your recursive call is at the end of the function so you never run out

>Why Haskell is meme?
Haskell infest (You)r brain, disapoints (You), and force to infect other people brains with Haskell

Attached: VINNY.jpg (416x287, 27K)

But tail recursion is just a fancy way of saying "{in,de}crement the recursion variable at the end than at the beginning." which still side-effects the variable.

What happens inside ghc doesn't matter as far as the language is concerned.
You can't have a program without side-effects, because hw can't work that way. But you can hide it, which is what ghc does for Haskell.

You do know what a side effect is right?

I personally find haskell fascinating, and if it was better developed I could imagine it or a language in the same vein taking off

Haskell is absolute proof that "worse is better" in the development world.

You have a language that introduces an awful lot of great things, and then after years of ignoring it the world says

>This Javascript we have in browsers. We should put it on a server.

People entering the coding world are so caught in everything pre-dating them being "old" they can't think critically.

There have been tonnes of people shilling that Javascript invented functional coding. Have a look at Jow Forumsjavscript and just search for any medium.com link. I've seen similar arguments about async (kek, I write Erlang), and immutability. "How good is it having a const operator because now we are the first language with immutability".

Likewise, there's a guy on I was arguing with at one point claiming C# will kill Ruby and Python because it has.... OOP.

Someone should take something like Ada or Haskell and release with slight changes, and call it JSPlus or something and watch people lose their shit over new capabilities.

Because its a committee designed academic language the is ill suited for the majority of projects. Its only promoted by people who think partially knowing a specific programming language means they are smart because partially knowing that language is the only "talent" they possess.

Worse is better is only true because software development still isn't considered an engineering process. You only need neon hair or mental disease to work at FAANG.
See Ada for an example of language that's used in an industry where you need to be an actual engineer to write software.

Every haskell shill tells you it's basically the most efficient and reliable way to write software and yet there isn't any successful project to back this up.
It's like haskellers are either hobbyists stuck in a loop of solving leetcode challenges and writing Jow Forums scrapers or academics using it as a platform on top of which they can write their PhD thesis.
If Google and friends have the money to hire the best developers from around the world and they still make them write Java there must be a reason.

It may be a meme, but it's a good meme.
It's objectively the most well-designed language ever created.
Sure, it's not suited for every purpose, but it can still be used in many cases if you know it well. It may not be omgfast like some other languages, but it's still fast enough for 90% of the shit you will ever write.

Shitty libraries with no documentation
Only autists want to reimplement basic functionality in their hipster lang to feel superior

based

Wire server is written in haskell. Apart from that, you won't see many mentions of haskell because it's mostly internal tools that are written in it. Yuropoor fintech has been moving to haskell a lot in this decade. It's not just small tools too, for instance a pretty prominent market-maker i worked for rewrote their backtesting platform in haskell, plus everything that's facing quants is exposed as haskell modules.
>If Google and friends have the money to hire the best developers from around the world
Money is not what speaks to that kind of people. Google has very little to offer them. It also doesn't make them write Java, but anything from python down to C++.
Google doesn't let them use "fancy" languages because their diversity hires have to be able to maintain the code these people write. It's the same in every big tech company, the tools they use target the lcd, not an average employee, not gcd.

>yet there isn't any successful project to back this up.
xmonad is the greatest wm ever created.

functional programming is a meme
math nerds do not understand how computers work and write shit software with their lang since it doesn't map well to current computer architecture

>No, it really isn't. If it were worth it, you'd see more usage.
If you had a brain, we'd see more usage of it. The reason I see when actually trying to use Haskell (just personally) is this: . Or more like just the lack of libraries. You can write pretty much anything in Haskell, and most of the time it will be actually easier due to easier and more general abstractions in Haskell. The thing is, somebody has to write it. Haskell isn't gaining popularity because it's not popular, it's just this simple. And it's a good thing. Having a small community means the language can freely evolve. Also possibly non-strict evaluation might be actually difficult since most programmers spend all their life in strict languages.

>You only need neon hair or mental disease to work at FAANG.

Can confirm, I absolutely nailed the entire Google interview and had interviewers say stuff like "oh, noone actually totally solves that usually" then still got rejected.

>. Having a small community means the language can freely evolve.

I haven't used Haskell but I really agree with this. "Big communities" totally kills some platforms. Look at Wordpress. It's the most horrid clusterfuck in existence. And largely because they have a history of delivering what people want.

Name one (1) language which "maps well to the current computer architecture" besides machine code, microcode and assembly.

C obviously

End this meme.
queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479

didn't say it was low level, CPUs and OSs are designed with C like languages in mind, deal with it

Because you are a brainlet

qs (p:xs) = qs [x | x

They literally aren't. Read the article again.

This. XMonad is great. So fast, resource efficient and configurable. Ironically, prefer dwm because of 1gb+ haskell toolset.

It's like Scala, but even less focussed on/fit for real life development.

I really like Haskell, the only large issue is the tooling. It's a fucking mess.
>cabal is a mess (versioning is ridiculous, metadata is a pita to deal with, automating cabal is even worse, you have to parse the entire cabal repo and recurse over the metadata to get the latest version of a package)
>stack uses cabal
>a single stack project with average amount of dependencies is easily 2gb on disk
>getting GHC to work with Qt on Windows is a fucking nightmare (Qt has to be built with the EXACT same mingw version as GHC, have fun building GHC and Qt because they don't provide up to date GHC builds)
>have fun actually compiling GHC on Windows
>Windows is a second class citizen, have fun getting your cross platform program to work on Windows at all (more specifically, your programs' dependencies)
>many packages on hackage are of low quality or haven't been updated in forever
>many of those packages haven't been tested on anything but linux and will outright fail on windows
>finding out which packages are "good" is practically half your project time

>mfw I really like language but the tooling is holding it back from being usable in production

Attached: just_do_it.jpg (217x320, 12K)

no actual well paying jobs for that

>GHC allocates one (1) tebibyte (TiB) of memory on start
>GHC(i) takes forever to start
>one small mistake and you fill your entire memory with thunks
>IO is a second class citizen, you need a PhD in Haskell to get to learning it
>has more than one numeric type (why?)
>disgusting whitespace-based sytnax
I still like Haskell, it's a nice language to learn new things.

>IO is a second class citizen, you need a PhD in Haskell to get to learning it
must be hard have room temp IQ

Have you tried learning Haskell from any book?

>Someone should take something like Ada or Haskell and release with slight changes, and call it JSPlus or something and watch people lose their shit over new capabilities.
That's what Rust is, if you include Cyclone in the mix.