/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: yoyoboy.jpg (480x640, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopscribes.com/laptops
rednotebook.sourceforge.io/downloads.html
avisynth.nl/index.php/AnimeIVTC#Hard_telecine_.28mode.3D1.29
amazon.com/dp/B079TTZ1X1/ref=twister_B07MSVWXLJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why does the captcha not work on red boards?

My friend's looking for a cheap Windows tablet to do basic tasks and run a few engineering programs. She's said she found some on Amazon for around $180, but I'm not sure if those could run engineering programs. Any recommendations?

Attached: samsung-ativ-tab.jpg (1766x1446, 465K)

Hello guys. I have Zenfone 3 Deluxe that I bought a little while back. My old phone is still kicking so I just used the zenfone as a tablet. I first encountered an issue charging, it basically said the device was too hot to charge. I looked it up, as recommended by asus support, I updated the Zen UI. Shortly, the battery completely drained and device turned off. I've tried charging it but it gets stuck in a loop, it just vibrates and resets. I am unable to get it to hold a charge. I am hesitant to send it to asus support because it is not password protected and has all my banking, email, and other account logons, as well as personal documents and pictures (again this was only meant for personal home use). What do?

Check umatrix, since it's a different domain.
Not using umatrix? Then I have no idea, maybe you're just fucked.

1. do cpu temperatures have anything to do with battery life?

2. how do i calculate my laptops battery life?

3. i bought my laptop in december 2014 should i think about buying a new battery?

What new speakers should I buy, mainly for listening to music?

I got some great logitech ones for around 200 I think it was, about 7 years ago. They've been great and lasted a long time.
Are there any good makes I should check out or should I just stick with what I know?
Or where is a good place to start learning about what makes speakers good?
Thanks.

Attached: 1544938297575.jpg (1000x763, 91K)

are ps/2 mice or keyboard faster than that of usb

Anyone experienced with local hosting mediawiki and its extensions? I can't work visual editor, it gets stuck on loading.
I installed mediawiki through bitnami, the wiki works fine, I also installed the visual edtior extension, enabled it from localsettings as stated in manual and then enabled it through my wikiuser preference. But whenever I try to edit something the loading bar stays put, pic related. I don't know how to get the error message, if there is an error message in the first place.
This is not browser spesific as it get stucks in the same place in chrome-firefox and i.e. Wiki runs fine without visual editor but I really like that extention. The vanialla editing tools of mediawiki are quite bad.

Attached: visualeditor.jpg (1428x410, 61K)

To add, when try to edit a page from wikipedia.org, visual editor loads quite normally. I don't know what causes this problem on my local wiki.

Is there a program to read news in a terminal? (Not a CLI browser)

Attached: 32R2FR23.jpg (885x884, 30K)

how hard is it to decode noaa weather satellites then livestream those to youtube/twitch?

Why don't we have a laptop general? I've been following this guide so far laptopscribes.com/laptops and the GYGABITE Aero looks pretty good. But I've never bought any gigabyte laptops before. Any issues with them?

Attached: bunsen.jpg (1920x1080, 374K)

hey so i have fresh install of debian testing with xfce on 2 computers.
At both, i turned off all the power management timers for auto sleep/screen off after some time.
Yet, when i manually hibernate or suspend the system, or manually lock it with xfce default lock function, sometimes, when i want to resume and login back from any of those states, my lockscreen is totally black, no mouse, nothing. So I have to blindly type my username, tab, password and enter, only then the screen is lit up again and logged in.
Sometimes its a pain in ass that i rather reboot the system.
How fix

Jow Forums shills newsboat, a cli rss feed and im tempted to try it as well. Luke Smith has a nice video on it.

How can I incorporate a dark theme with 4chanX in google chrome?

i have the exact same problem as this guy on ifixit but no one helped him so please help me babes

I also have this problem, however, if I turn on my phone and I'm on it for a max of 2 mins my iPhone will shut down no matter the percentage and then automatically turn on.after it has turned on it is at 1% then when I unlock the phone I go back to the original percent it was on when it turned off. I originally bought the phone from Tesco and are on a contract with them. so I contacted them and they then replied with ''we cannot do anything with your phone however if you take it to the nearest apple store (over 200 miles away) they will replace it there and then that is if they find an issue with the system. my phone is in pristine condition however Tesco said that they would not replace it because it was not within their 1-month quarantine which is total bullshit because it was on a year quarantine and I received the phone less than 6 months ago then they said that they changed the amount of time a week ago but i was not informed of this change at all

Are the drivers for recent AMD GPUs really open-source? Can I use them with linux-libre? I've read conflicting statements.

on the bottom right select "Tomorrow"

Man, I feel stupid. It was there all along. Thanks. But now I'm kinda on the fence in using dark theme on everything. Dark theme on my stuff, and light themes on websites I browse causes my pupils to dilate and constrict consecutively that it's actually starting to strain my eyes.

Windows 10 1809 has a dark themed explorer.

Attached: 1546458402830.jpg (1600x1066, 112K)

Yeah, I use that as well. My only gripe is that I use dark themes on everything, but when I search stuff in google it blasts me their huge-ass blinding white background.

installing arch, can't decide on a DE, should i use kde, xfce or budgie or something else?

is soulseek dead?
Is there a better alternative?

Just use stylus and theme it, I almost always find a dark theme for most sites using stylus, and it only takes like 3 clicks

You should consider your options and do some research, if you want better speakers it would be worth it to figure out what 'better' means to you.
You could probably look on youtube for comparison videos.

I have edifier speakers, I like them because they were in my price range, have pretty good volume control(small subwoofer, 2 bookshelf speakers, simple.) oh and they're very fixable(replaceable cables, common parts.)
>
>
>
It's difficult to answer without more detail, not that I would necessarily have the answer.

Thanks, but I tried Stylus and it's such a hassle installing themes for every site I use. Luckily, I found this extension in chrome called Dark Reader which is really nice because I can customize and use different settings for different websites. My only problem now is my browser opening this huge ass whitescreen whenever I open a new tab.

you could probably take it to a computer repair shop if you're really concerned.

Or if you're bent on fixing it yourself, figure out what the source of the problem is(it could be something simple like an overused battery.)

Have you had it for a long time?

Personally if I'd just take it to the local mall and get a tech person to look at it(if I couldn't fix it myself)

>ps/2
I doubt it, usb is newer technology, and apparently has a much higher bitrate.
Is the battery faulty on your phone? have you had it a long time?
Are you open to prying it open to see if the battery connection is in proper working condition?
------
If no or unsure, probably just find a person locally who fixes phones, and they can do it for you for cheap
>it doesn't matter if the oem is the one to fix it, as long as it gets fixed.

lots of places should be able to fix it, just google "phone repair near me"

>pc that I built in 2012 gets the time all wrong
>manually sync with time server last night
>put pc to sleep
>wake it up this morning
>time is still the same as around last night
Just replaced the cmos battery because that would be the most likely culprit, but it still showed 3.2V so I'm not sure. Any other suspects?

>I doubt it, usb is newer technology, and apparently has a much higher bitrate.
Don't go around spouting nonsense if you don't know anything.
PS/2 devices send interrupts which are handled by the CPU immediately, whereas USB devices need to be polled at regular intervals. So technically, PS/2 devices would be faster.

In which way does it get the time all wrong?
Is it a constant difference or does it literally reset when powered down?

Installed Mint on an external HD to use as get go pocket computer without fearing getting too many viruses.

But Im new to Linux so I still get confused: is Mint an Ubuntu fork?

I installed using a virtual machine and the VM had all possible Linux there except Mint.

Also, I want to use this program, and it has versions for all Linuxes except Mint.

Wtf should I install them? There is a repository just for Mint? What should I use if the program I need doesnt have on Mint repository?

Also, it is a safe OS (I cryptographed the entire partition)

It lags behind. Haven't noticed a clear pattern but then again I haven't looked for it either. Last night when I noticed it it was behind about 2 hours and a couple of minutes. Then I synced at around 23:30, put the computer to sleep mode and this morning it still was at around 23:30.
Wouldn't surprise me if it was indeed the cmos battery. It's at least 7 years old after all.
Running a malware scan just in case though.
Bit of a strange thing, never had this happen before.

Forgot to add the program:

rednotebook.sourceforge.io/downloads.html

If my laptop's maximum resolution is 1280x800 and I project my laptop wirelessly to a monitor with, let's say a 4k resolution, will I get the maximum resolution displayed or will it only be rescaled to my laptop's 1280x800 display?

Both. It depends if you want the imnage streched or not.

If not, it will be a small screen in the middle of yout TV. IF you want streched, it will be like that but blurry.

I've been using different laptops as my main computer for years now. My experience is that :
1. Cpu heat can empty your battery in a matter of minutes, i always say you can't work on a laptop without proper cooling.
2. I'd just say that you turn the laptop on and watch it every 15 mins. If it turns off in less then 2 hrs I'd say the battery is close to dead.
3. 4 yo laptopa aren't that bad, and battery usually dies if u keep charging the laptop with the battery plugged for a long time. If you don't use the battery, then plug it out and use the power cord.

Of course, it also depends on the capacity of your battery, laptop consumption and energy profiles within the os.

Which FOSS ROM should I install on Zenfone 2 Laser (Z00L) for daily use?
Or should I stay on stock?

I'm new to c#, and I'm not sure how to delete a list element while also changing the indices.
In Python you can just do the following:
a=["a","b","c","d"]
del a[0]
If I call a[0] now I'll get 2 as output. If I try the same in C#:
List buffer = new List();
buffer.Add("a");
buffer.Add("b");
and I want to delete the first entry in the list I can do:
buffer.RemoveAt(0);
but now if I call buffer[0] I'll not get "b", but NULL, because it just deletes the entry, instead of changing the list indices of all later entries. Is there a function I'm not aware of that does this?

I've been having recording issues with my Blue Yeti mic for a while now. At first, everything used to be fine, but for unknown reasons I have been unable to record any audio. Every recording software I've tried (including Audacity and various others) hasn't been working. I even bought a new mic to test if the physical device itself was the issue, but I'm still unable to record any audio. I suspect that it is the computer itself causing problems, but I am unsure what it is.

No it doesn't.
You seem to have messed up something else.

Attached: 1539410399153.png (459x264, 9K)

Well fuck me then. Thanks I guess, I'll look iinto it again.
So basically "a.RemoveAt(0)" is the equivalent of python "del a[0]".

So my grandma has his old tablet with a WhatsApp account. The account however is linked to a landline number.

Now we bought her a new smartphone for Christmas and I want to set up it so that the tablet and the smartphone have the same account. What do? Changing the old number to the new number on the phone like it says in the documentation doesn’t work.

I'm about to pull the trigger here: Which one is better?
ViewSonic XG2401
ViewSonic XG2402

Attached: 1531672232199.jpg (1200x798, 257K)

whats a good foobar 2000 skin?

>grandma
>his

So is it fine to download a 1080p video as long I can project it to a good monitor, even if I have a crappy 720p laptop?

yes.
I'm assuming the laptop can handle the increased datarate that comes with 1080p. It'd have to be REALLY shitty to handle 720 but not 1080p-

I just purchased a 32“ 4k monitor and when I plugged it in it said that the recommended resolution was 3840x2160 @30Hz. Upon reviewing the instruction manual and the websites tech specs it turns out HDMI1 is 1.4 and only supports 4k@30Hz while HDMI2 is 2.0 and supports 4k@60Hz.

What is the purpose of this? The difference in production costs can't be more than a dollar. It's it really due to them cheaping out and assuming no one will have two 4k monitors or is it some other form of hardware limitation? I have a PC and PS4 Pro connected so I have no need to use both ports simultaneously but it's kind of a hassle having to switch ports if you want more than 1080p.

Attached: serveimage(5).jpg (1024x683, 42K)

hello. i'm ripping a dvd of anime. source is telecined so i'm using Avisynth+ with AnimeIVTC to restore progressive frames. what i'm confused about is the mode parameter of AnimeIVTC. see pic. wtf does any of that mean? any of you use this? documentation didn't have anything on the matter.
mode=1 works ok with welcome to the nhk but what do those other parameters mean?

Attached: wut.png (369x133, 5K)

oh shit seems like i missed description of each mode
avisynth.nl/index.php/AnimeIVTC#Hard_telecine_.28mode.3D1.29
i still don't understand which one is better, though. they all seem the same to me.

Thx, teach

Jesus

When will we get a CPU that can run at 6 GHz right out of the box, without overclocking?

How is windows 7 holding up nowadays? Can you still run it without (((telemetry))) and with vulnerabilities patched out?

i just replaced the battery and its exactly the same problem as before i replaced it.

>try to install ejabberd on Debian server
>install the .deb package through terminal
>just installs, which is not what I expected from the tutorial
Now what? Was an admin password even set? And why was it installed in /opt?

Is Tor still the most effective way to privately experience the interwebs now that a Jew owns it? Are there any good alternatives?

Is there any salvaging a hard disk that's constantly running at 100%?
It's a three year old Acer laptop. CPU and RAM are running fine, but i can't get the disk to run at anything below 95%. sfc and chkdsk /F did nothing for it. Disk is only at 20% capacity, and only used for art.
Damn articles online only ever recommend sfc and chkdsk and shill their shitty products.
Resource monitor mostly reports processes identified as "system" as being the top consumers of bandwidth.

Attached: received_2300957923483446.png (527x594, 29K)

Where can I find examples/video tutorials that will actually SHOW what IT looks like?
I considered studying IT but I can't judge if I'm really interested in it without seeing what the work actually looks like and how it works

i need someth8ing like shadowplay to record gameplay
>inb4 OBS
i need aero, and OBs runs like ass with aero enabled

dxtory

thanks
can it take advantage of NVENC from my graphics card?

I understood none of that, only the thanks part
yw buddy

This is a question I probably already know the answer to, but when using filtered emails, e.g. [email protected] and [email protected], the idea is to figure out who is selling your email and the email provider collapses both down to [email protected]. If your email gets leaked/sold, you will be able to see that [email protected] is what you're being spammed with, and thus google is the one that mismanaged your email.

Question is: can't any site that's remotely competent (and especially those who are intentionally selling your email) just strip out anything after the '+' and sell your email as [email protected]? Is this feature/usage even worth mentioning in 2019?

Attached: 1526953065644.png (2400x2400, 60K)

I've had it for about year an a half, used it for about 8 months, I think asus support will still take it in under warranty. Really disappointed desu, the specs on paper is what sold me but I can't believe it's had a major failure within a year of use and my old af 7 year old note is still going. I'm just worried of most of my personal data and nude pics on that device.

How do you scroll tabs with the mousewheel in firefox 64?
Linux

where can i find a legit w10 activator
i'm guessing you have to know a specific website because i'm only finding shady websites

First link in OP.

Second link in OP.

Wen i tried ubuntu i used chrome and there was an addon for it
Firefox probably has one

A VPN.

This was default behavior back in like 30/40. Shouldnt need a fucking third party extension for something first party

That's all i know user, had the same issue and googling i found that answer

It's not first party anymore though is it? It was removed for a reason, probably due lack of support during the switch to quantum. Open an issue on their github if you want to be productive; don't yell at other users on a canadian sledding forum.

Alternatively, ESR probably still has it.

>First link in OP.
Shit, i feel like and asshole
Thanks

Are there drawbacks to buying a surveillance focused HDD for storage, besides the price increase? I keep my PC on 24/7 and i'd rather pay a few extra bux for a more reliable HDD.

>Mint an Ubuntu fork
Yes.

>the VM had all possible Linux there except Mint
The templates in VMMs aren't customized on some deep mysterious level. They're just general guesses of what a good amount of ram, hdd space etc would be useful for a given OS. Ubuntu 64 bit is going to be a good range for a whole swath of linuxes, but you can always tweak the machines settings later.

Mint does run its own repo, but it also works with Ubuntu PPAs.

I was told VPN's are just server side proxies and that nothing stops the data from being decrypted on the other side. As a matter of fact, most VPN companies track the content after it's been decrypted.

I have an external hard drive in NTFS that I torrent my anime to, and my Windows computer recognizes it just fine but when I tried connecting it to my laptop running Fedora it wouldn't recognize the drive
I've already tried mounting it with ntfs-3g, but it would give me an error saying
The device '/dev/sdb' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
What do?

Attached: 1536814149214.png (1000x1000, 166K)

>/dev/sdb/
You need to give it a partition number such as /dev/sdb1

I did that for both the sdb1 and sdb2 partitons, same error

I don't believe you

isn't all this surveillance shit really depressing
how can you not be blackpilled

NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb2': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sdb2' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?
The command I'm using is
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb2 /media/windows

What exactly does a "Computer Scientist" do? Are you a high-end code monkey? Are you an engineer?

Attached: osha-19.jpg (500x423, 38K)

Meant to reply to

How do the fuck do I make OAuth via PHP work

Specifically a 'log in with Discord' button

The examples online don't make sense to my smooth brain

what are you struggling with specifically?

Since IPv6 doesn't use NAT, could I use it to more easily remotely connect to a computer on my home network?

Attached: ip6.jpg (500x292, 57K)

The fuck is a Tabnab? And how do I prevent up?

When i right click an image to save it, firefox hardlocks up and has to be xkill'd.
The download location is valid and has the proper permissions.

This is what GParted shows for the drive

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-27 11-31-56.png (764x532, 40K)

You dont have ntfs support on your system

Is there a way I can get support for it or am I fucked?

what firefox version are you using? also try disabling all addons and extensions you have

Install ntfs-3g

I dont have any addons

Like I said before, I already have it installed and it still won't mount
This is the external drive I'm using
amazon.com/dp/B079TTZ1X1/ref=twister_B07MSVWXLJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If your system had ntfs-3g in it, gparted would not have said "filesystem UNKNOWN" it would identify it as ntfs

If my system doesn't have ntfs-3g then what's this?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-27 11-44-23.png (705x361, 52K)