Q2VKPT supports RTX

Quake 2 now has a realtime raytracer renderer, requiring VK_NV_ray_tracing extension. So that's one (1) game that supports RTX functionality.

But I guess congratulations to RTX owners for being the first people on the planet to actually play realtime-performance raytraced games. There will be more in the future and more GPUs will support raytracing, too.

Attached: d02ad676a543a5033cd992da62006df5.jpg (2558x1438, 1001K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vrq1T93uLag
youtube.com/watch?v=0YYJwwSrwtg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But it now looks like shit. This is 2019 you know. Graphical fidelity has moved on.

>one (1)
I've never understood this retarded meme.

Consider it a tech demo.

The assets look like shit but the lighting is fucking incredible.

>missing the point
Literally the best real-time lighting that currently exists. It's about the technology behind it.

I'll wait for gen 2 or 3 before deciding if it is a meme or not. The tech is too soon for modern gaming. Maybe they should use it for low impact RPG games to begin with.

Gen 2 and 3 often bring huge upgrades over gen 1. Hopefully in 10 years time, fully raytraced graphics will become the norm and we could all forget about all this polygon rasterization and shading horseshit that's been plaguing 3d graphics for decades.

Attached: ac0ea959825e22a3c8aefd6589540ea432c88f1e42160d3492f30856ee9d7869.png (432x429, 232K)

youtube.com/watch?v=vrq1T93uLag
youtube.com/watch?v=0YYJwwSrwtg

looks like shit to be honest.

It's not ray tracing, its path tracing, and it's more computationally expensive then ray tracing, but ray tracing is the way to path tracing.

Pretty cool desu.

is this negroid playing quake with a fucking controller ?
so this is the power of raytracing

I can get behind gaytracing iff it's a feature you can get on a separate GPU which only does that so that you don't end up sacrificing all your fps.

>hopefully in 10 years time
4k will be fully adopted and the successor to 8k will be richfag stuff. Raytrac8ng as Nvidia has implemented it, in the best of cases, is still reliant on resolution for performance. A 2080Ti cant handle 1080p full RTX, what makes you think, with the slowdown in lith tech, and tue impending clock cieling, and the general slowdown of GPU advancement, raytracing is anything but a neat trick?

Just buy more GPUs
what are you, poor?

>it's all about demonstration!
Or did you meant to say, marketing?
Filthy kike

I seriously hope this is a funpost.

Richfags/moneyburners can just get the RTX GPU instead so I'm not forced to waste money on this bundled monstrosity.

KYS shill

did you even watch the video

the scene in op is 100% baked. explosions light their surroundings. woop de fucking do. ffs you even have dynamic light sources in minecraft.

That's like some kid saying we need a separate GPU for antialiasing in 2000.

Q2VPT looks WAY better with good looking shadows. Also, this renderer does some questionable things (like reduced texture quality in water reflections). Shadows in it are laughable and barely visible, and the entire thing looks like a painting. Still, it's the best tech demo of path tracing to date, as it actually path traces the entire screen, and it show how far we are from it being viable (4 samples per pixel is orders of magnitude below a requirement for good looking image, and light doesn't bounce much in this game).

I'm still waiting for a new version of darkplaces with path tracing support, as I prefer quake 1 over quake 2.

Can this be combined with kmquake2's Oculus support?

We're in 2019 and there's not a whole lot of room for our hardware to improve due to the laws of physics. Shove your false analogy far far up your bumhole.

Full path tracing, let alone full ray tracing is at least 2 architectures away from being viable, and the value is really in just some complicated lighting effects. No one has implemented RTX intelligently so far. It's just been across the board applied to all surfaces meeting a roughness threshold on a map.

I say we remove antialiasing altogether and go back to 1280x1024 first.

Reminds me of PhysX. No one wants to pay for a new coprocessor just for fancy lighting/particle effects.

Attached: horror.jpg (239x209, 14K)

it doesnt quite work in English and may originate from Finnish

About fucking time we get rid of the giant hack that is rasterisation. But today is not that time, sadly.

It's used in legal documents that are written by hand, to avoid possible confusion. It goes like "1 (one)" though.

Nice, cool I guess
>still waiting for ragdoll physics for Q2

Attached: 1541514244787.jpg (506x533, 19K)

would love to agree, but that's debatable

this really is a meme? shit I need to implement it to my routines

It’s a joke, implying you’re too stupid to understand one = one and needs a reminder than one = 1

WE HAVE HAD RAYTRACED QUAKE 2 FOR LIKE 15 YEARS AND NOBODY GAVE A FUCK, NOW ITS RTX AND SUDDENLY EVERYONE'S GOING NUTS
FUCK OFF ZOOMERS

>first people on the planet to actually play realtime-performance raytraced games.
Are you actually retarded? This shit is not new.

Eternal reminder that RTX is not real raytracing, just a buzzword for deep learning tricks.

wonder what theif or that brutal doom stuff would look like with rtx

Attached: 1523835231683.jpg (540x720, 66K)

RT cores != tensor cores
You use RT cores to accelerate raytracing and then use tensor cores to accelerate denoising.