Just how the HECKEROO does wireless charging work through a case? I've googled this and the only answers are "duhhh...

Just how the HECKEROO does wireless charging work through a case? I've googled this and the only answers are "duhhh, yes wireless charging works through cases, derrrr" but they don't go into detail about how the HECK it is even possible. I want the real answer and not psuedo science mumbo jumbo like the electrons are so small in size they pass through the atoms of the rubber case. That is elementary level answer and I expect more from Jow Forums.

Attached: 1542628765631.jpg (576x768, 72K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Az0LzYmSaCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They work

They just work :')

The electrons are so small in size they pass through the atoms of the rubber case.

like this: youtube.com/watch?v=Az0LzYmSaCs

>electrons passing
Check what is induction

More important, how the HECK your phone receives all those voices and shit through a case?

Attached: 1244119614024.jpg (610x569, 70K)

It's magic.

The explanations are half-assed because consumers are getting stupider.

Attached: rvxn7ndiahw11.gif (660x780, 201K)

the case is transparent to electrons just the same a glass window is transparent to your brainlet retard eyes, roughly speaking
you have to be very retarded not to be able to google this shit though, jesus

Coils and magnets and shit.
Nobody really knows how they work.

1/2:

You're asking the wrong question. It's not "how does charging work through a case" it's "why wouldn't charging work through a case?"

First of all, lets look at this logically without wondering about the technical physics. If wireless charging works through the plastic case of the wireless charger, and the plastic on your phone, then it would make sense that it could work through another layer of plastic, given that the distance between the phone and charger is not too great.

As far as the low level physics, you clearly already understand the answer on some level. It wouldn't be quite right to say that the electrons pass through rubber molecules though. Although an electron is much much smaller than the nucleus of an atom, and most of the space in a molecule is actually empty, electrons won't pass through a molecule under normal conditions. Electrons like to bind to atoms, and if any nearby atom has a positive charge the electron will cling to that atom, also, relatedly, atoms don't like to just give up their electrons, it takes certain conditions for an atom to lose an electron, and many times, losing an electron will cause a chain reaction because of the changed properties in the atom which lost an electron.

Okay, anyway, to better understand wireless charging, it's worth considering the difference between an electrical current such as you'd find in a wire, and the electromagnetic field which is produced by a wireless charging device. Electrical currents always flow towards the ground. Electromagnetic fields are not the same thing as an electrical current, but are very related on a physical level. So understand this clearly: a wireless charger is not shooting electricity, it is producing an electromagnetic field.

To demonstrate in a simple way how it is possible that a wireless charger works through rubber or plastic, get a couple of decently strong magnets and see if they attract each other through rubber.

>I want the real answer not the real answer

It uses magnetic induction. Middle school physics.

>electrons can pass through rubber

This is how retarded zoomers are.
No, it's a magnetic field that passes through the case, not electrons.

There were simple aether teories, but jews banned them.

Attached: 1302455087474.jpg (354x354, 14K)

magnets, duh

Magnetic field is the music that makes pixies dance.
There are no pixies in glass or plastic, all the pixies are in the metal inside the phone.

If a phone had a metal case then the case puxies will steal all the music and give nothing to the phone pixies.

Protip: the average Jow Forums user thinks that electrons travel through wires at the speed of light, they don't even know what electron drift is

It works through air, the plastic of the charger itself, the plastic and glass of your phone.
If your case is just plastic or glass, it'll work.
It's based on magnetism, if magnets work through it, it'll charge

>I expect more from Jow Forums.

2/2

I'm sure without even playing around with magnets, you understand that magnets can attract each other through materials such as rubber. The force which causes this is the same force which we use to build wireless charging devices.

The truth is that we really don't understand the mechanics of the electromagnetic force. We understand many of the properties of the force though, and have figured out how to utilize the force in many ways. The most mainstream explanations of a lot of this stuff can be found in QED: quantum electrodynamics, which was built and taught by individuals such as Richard Feynman and Freeman Dyson. But even QED does not explain what fundamental interaction allows the electromagnetic force to exist. One popular theory is that our universe has a dimension which we call the electromagnetic field, and distortions of the shape of this dimension are what we refer to as electromagnetic energy. We really don't know though. This is all beside the main point anyway though. Basically, a phone charges through rubber because the electromagnetic field passes through rubber, and the energy from the field charges the phone battery through induction.

Thanks. An EMF is an explanation that makes enough sense.

But wouldn't that mean you can charge multiple phones in the same Magnetic field? Why don't they make a bag or a bowl where you and anyone can put their phones in to charge for a while then pickup later? A million dollar idea right there.

Please. They taught us about that in, like, middle school.
I fully understood forming of e/m field only at uni, though (at least now i can explain it in my own words to younger sister).

Not even OP, but 10/10 explanation. Would not skip your class.

Attached: 1508740963963.jpg (407x502, 157K)

The electric field travels at the speed of light and makes all the electrons move in the same time.

I remember trying to count it and if I'm not wrong the electons barely crawl through the wire at like 20A but that has a massive energy to it.

All you need to know is.
1A = 1Q/s
Look up how many electrns make a Q
Look up free electron density in copper
Imagine a 3mm copper wire
Figure out the ballpark figure of the speed they move at.

Attached: 1526398890707.png (1353x976, 328K)

>But wouldn't that mean you can charge multiple phones in the same Magnetic field?

When pixies hear the music they dance and play their own music that cancells out the other music so that the other pixies wouldnt hear them.

> But wouldn't that mean you can charge multiple phones in the same Magnetic field? Why don't they make a bag or a bowl where you and anyone can put their phones in to charge for a while then pickup later? A million dollar idea right there.

Well the first thing that comes to mind is that common wireless chargers are pretty weak and only switch on when the phone is placed on them correctly. I haven't looked at diagrams for the circuits used in Qi chargers so I don't know all the specific details, I just like to study physics and electricity. I also think there are pretty strict regulations regarding these sorts of devices, your idea probably isn't even legal (although if you could build it and prove it to be safe I'm sure you could get it regulated and on the market)

I think the two biggest issues with your idea of a bowl or bag that charges multiple phones are 1) the Qi pad in the phone would need to be redesigned, (the pic i uploaded is what QI coils look like, this is placed in the back of your phone in the center) the coils are designed so that your phone can rotate on the charger and still charge, but they won't work if the phone is tilted. I'd imagine to make phones work with your idea, the phone would need multiple coils or some totally different design that goes all the way around the phone to allow charging from different angles.
and 2) there would be a large efficiency loss, I'm not sure you could make these devices powerful enough and still be safe, although, I guess if someone was determined, they could figure out a way.

oops this was supposed to be in my post, pic is a qi coil very similar to what you'll find if you tear apart a phone with wireless charging capability.

Attached: qi coil.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Same reason LTE works through a case, you can't just block electromagnetic waves with a thin layer of rubber

Have we actually measured the speed which an electric field propagates at? I guess I've never really even thought about this. I guess it'd have to be about the speed of light for cathode-ray-tubes to work, but maybe i'm missing something

Sure. Why not? It's like transformer: primary winding is in charger, secondary - in phone. If you want pore secondary windings (phones), you have to make more powerful charger, that's all.

Attached: 1208072122589.jpg (512x384, 28K)

You could but you'd need more amps

>thinks that electrons travel through wires at the speed of light

you mean they don't?

Attached: 1536989116849.png (499x322, 28K)

The light is an electromagnetic wave which is pretty much
>Change in electric field
>Creates magnetic field
>Magnetic field creates electric field
>Creates magnetic field
>Ad infinitum

So yeah they propagate at the dpeed of light.
In matter the light travels slower so do the fields

Attached: elec_mag_field.gif (507x269, 7K)

Not even close. About 8*10^7 m/s. That's 0.3c.

Depends on the medium you moron

install cfw and get memory stick to micro sd adapter.

That's for CRT with 25kV anode voltage. Filled with vacuum, you moron.
Individual particles with mass (like electrons) NEVER travel at speed of light.

user said an electric field, not electrons, you absolute donut

I am at work and have long lost my physics notebook but you could calculate the speeds in copper as well as i mentioned

>matter travelling at speed of light

Attached: download.jpg (217x232, 10K)

It probably wouldn’t work out well unless you deliberately had a poor efficiency. has the right of it; when current is induced in the phone’s coil, that current will create its own field that directly opposes the one that created it. For perfect efficiency, this would mean the opposing field is equal in strength and cancels out the charging field, preventing the charging field reaching beyond the phone to ones behind it. Even with low efficiency, these types of magnetic fields grow weaker with distance cubed - that is, faster than light dims (distance squared).

electrons are waves

Cases have holes in them.

Wireless chargers are like mini microwaves
They send micro waves to your battery exciting it, which makes it charge from excitement

Literally, same thing happens when you charge your batteries in microwave

>Doesn't know the dual nature of electrons

>how does wireless charging occur through a case?
>meanwhile, has absolutely no problem with the internet travelling through his house, the sky and up to a satelite

Its electromagnetic radiation.

like 80% of my body is electrons i think i know how they work retard

Polite sage for double-posting. On second thought, the opposing field could be used to charge the next phone. In the ideal case of a transformer, I think this would form a parallel circuit and mitigate distance-associated losses. In the case of a stack of phones, it would be messier, since each phone-phone pair would have an associated loss without the aid of a permeable core. If anyone is bothered enough, taking the ratio of the Biot-Savart law for the Qi’s parameters (use outermost/max radius) and the depth of a phone should ball-park the efficiency. I doubt it will be that good though.

Electromagnetic radiation can penetrate through most materials.

much more of your mass is protons and neutrons, the electrons are just along for the ride

If you understand how transformers work the concept of wireless charging is incredibly simple.