Russian YouTube-Ripping Site Wins In US Court

>YouTube rippers are seen as the largest piracy threat to the music industry, and record labels are doing their best to shut them down. In 2017, YouTube-MP3, the world's largest ripping site at the time, shut down after being sued, and several other folded in response to increased legal uncertainty. Not all stream-ripping sites throw in the towel without a fight though. FLVTO.biz and 2conv.com, owned by Russian developer Tofig Kurbanov, remained online despite being sued by several record labels last August....

>According to the defense, the court has no jurisdiction over the matter. Only a small fraction of the visitors come from the US, and the site is managed entirely from Russia, it argued.... Tuesday, U.S. District Court Judge Claude M. Hilton ruled on the matter. In a 14-page opinion, he clearly sides with the operator of the YouTube rippers. Kurbanov doesn't have to stand trial in the U.S. so the case was dismissed.

The absolute state of mutts

Attached: 3DC34C26-2A26-41C8-AF6E-F6D543848F6F.png (2518x1024, 320K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
en.savefrom.net/#url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=OwQ9ZRgOp7Q&utm_source=youtube.com&utm_medium=short_domains&utm_campaign=www.ssyoutube.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>pirates everything even free games
kek
Can confirm as a Russian.

Don't all these 'Youtube-mp3-converter' websites just use youtube-dl anyway?

Is the issue just that they run ads and make money for the service?

kekked
can confirm as a shit skin pajeet

>eyes always on the torrent
topzozzle

Probably true to a certain degree.

>its not illegal for youtube to host illegal content, they are untouchable
>but its illegal for you to view that content
>but its illegal for you to have that content for private use
fuck capitalism

That has fuck all to do with capitalism you idiot

BR here, I unironically pirated Mass Effect when it was free on Origin just because I was too lazy to create an account kek

>pirates everything, even free games
based brazuka

Attached: 1546456093050.png (581x800, 135K)

Why do American companies seemingly think they have power over any foreign entity?

Mutts are taught in school that murrica controls the world, no less.

Because companies are literally more powerful than governments in 2019?

You are subject to local laws wherever you do business.
If it's legal to sell marijuana where I am, and I sell it to you but it isn't legal where you are, I broke your local laws. The reason they won this case is because most of their traffic comes from places where the court has no jurisdiction.

>>its not illegal for youtube to host illegal content, they are untouchable
This has always been the aspect of all of this that has confused the ever living shit out of me. Also, I frequently see statements from youtubers where they complain about their videos getting pulled because they contain copyrighted material (usually playing in the background), but you can find virtually any song on youtube. What the hell are their guidelines for making these decisions?

> youtube-ripping site
Do Russians not know of youtube-dl?

This, or just fire up Audacity and record the audio output

Some music publishers dmca claim videos to put their ads on them, others dmca claim to take them down.

You dodged a bullet there. Origin is absolute horsefire dogshit.

They use windows, so of course they are retarded. Wintoddlers don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.

Because they do.I don't mean to say this in a smug way, I personally find it disgusting, but, the US pretty much owns the UN and pushes it will upon others through that mechanism. Money talks, and the puppets don't want to lose their aide from Uncle Sam.

>What the hell are their guidelines for making these decisions?
The short answer is they don't have guidelines. The actual decisions are made by a loose collection of people who don't communicate with each other and work off of vague notions of political expediency. Think Jow Forums's Jannies and Mods, but twice as autistic and twice as dumb.

To give a better understanding, consider how Alex Jones is banned from Youtube, and Youtube is currently trying to scrub any mention of him from their site. This isn't a concerted effort, they didn't even give him a reason for why he's being unpersoned. If they gave him a reason, they would set a clear rule about what you can and cannot do: That would take power away from them because Youtube would be beholden to that rule as well ("we can't get rid of this guy because he hasn't done x").

As it stands, Youtube can give you the boot for any reason they want

>horsefire
lmao, we have a folk tale about something like that

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 40K)

If their argument is that the US has no jurisdiction over them, why'd they even show up in court? Could've just ignored it, not like a US court ruling would be enforceable in Russia.

how do you even pirate free games?
you talking about the ones who go free for a short time? does that count?

>everyone knows how to use command line tools

if it's drm'd but free you get it elsewhere

If you can recognise letters you can use them.

You also need the meta-knowledge that, for example, unixoid shells are case-sensitive and how the file system works, as well as what command line parameters are and how to both navigate to a folder and launch software from there, unless you actually installed it in which case you used either a package manager or make, which is also not exactly common knowledge.

It's not complicated.

But neither is there any good and easy to find documentation for this shit.

Youtube has automatic and manual content flagging, so if a music owner puts their song into Youtube's automatic content flag system it will automatically either demonetize the video or send the ad revenue to the claimant while the strike is resolved (if multiple companies claim the video, it's just demonetized). I'm not sure if the automatic system can also remove videos, that seems to be something only the manual one can do. Presumably, there is also a mechanism for content holders to tell Youtube which channels have a license to play their music, so VEVO and those ones don't get flagged. The random people uploading songs probably get automatically flagged but don't really care since it just demonetizes a video they probably didn't care about getting money for anyway.

Once a video is claimed, the video owner can counterclaim the video, and the original claimant has something like a week to respond with a court filing, which they apparently almost never do. If they don't, the video monetization goes back to the video owner, except that the money that was already made doesn't, so the uploader often loses a lot of money since most video views for channels with subscribers are within the first week of it going up.

Ultimately, this isn't entirely Youtube's fault, they've just created the most hands-off system they can that lets them claim safe harbor from DMCA claims.

Man pages.

> youtube-dl youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
it's not hard

Audacity has a GUI, doesn't it?

so does youtube-dl

No.

Are neither good, nor easy to find. Especially for the use-case of informing someone who's got literally no prior knowledge.

This is why Linux is still restricted to niches.

Linux is the most popular kernel in the world, hardly niche. You are just retarded.

So what you're saying is that we can completely ruin YouTube by abusing their DMCA system to effectively completely demonetize their most popular "youtube stars" which deserve no money whatsoever

And what the fuck are they going to do about it if it's hosted in russia and the russian government doesnt give a fuck?

Kernel =/= software smoothbrain

That's what people already do, so sure. Those channels get a lot of their money through Patreon already though, since Youtube fucked their own ad system and now any video that says a naughty word loses almost all of its ad revenue.

This is what I'm wondering.

You don't even have the power of self-awareness. Stop being a literal phrase-spouting NPC.

You said Linux. Linux is a kernel.
Stop spouting old memes.

sounds like they really screwed the pooch
how they gonna justify their costs if they can't even get ads out on their most popular videos?

They also run ffmpeg to, as Youtube only provides music in m4a and ogg. However normies don't know what those are and want mp3. So the sites have to temporarily host the converted music files themselves.

Their most popular videos are official content from movies and video games and videos from major cable channels, which seem to be magically immune to these issues. Youtube seems like it wants all the full time content creators to find another platform but doesn't want to come out and say it.

normalfags aren't exactly tech literate is the point i was trying to make

en.savefrom.net/#url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=OwQ9ZRgOp7Q&utm_source=youtube.com&utm_medium=short_domains&utm_campaign=www.ssyoutube.com

Literally none of what you said is true.

Attached: chris-hansen.png (434x610, 234K)