Discord alternatives

Alright anons, why is everyone and their mothers using this?
Is there any sane FOSS alternative or do we succumb to the succubus?

How do we get others to use a more sane alternative ?

Attached: succubus.jpg (320x180, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

doc.qt.io/qt-5/licensing.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Mumble

That looks pretty good, but looks like a teamspeak alternative. From what I can tell, discord is more like whatsapp but without it being tied to your number.

IRC

I want to keep my friends, so I'll just keep using discord.
:^)

Use IRC you fucking retards.

Attached: 1541684312659.jpg (443x455, 96K)

Riot / other clients on the matrix protocol

IRC for text chat, Mumble for voice chat.

ripcord

The clients absolute dog shit on linux its not even at version 1. They have no spell checking consistent crashes because they don't have linux devs but are trying to force windows api calls onto linux and seeing what happens. Its time to make an IRC plugin to talk to this that isn't complete ass like discord-irc. That also supports voice.

use ingame chat or text chat in game.

you cant force ya friends to change only solution is not to get on and try and communicate best you can with out it or not be friends with them and catch up on singleplayer backlog until it stops being popular.

the video game store wars will lead to epic/steam making better solution eventually.

and if you think using ingame text chat is noob the top guild in world of Warcraft used it for its leader they still have the most world first kills in wow a decade later. some of the sub groups in the guild used voip but the commander only used chat as it has better latency and is quicker to read.

Teamspeak was so much better. Does discord even have directional plugins? Arma 2 with acre was dope. Actually using your radios and having to set to whisper in close contact.

XMPP is the most promising one.

why the hell are there 5 threads per day about shitcord?

You pretty much answered it yourself. It's shit, but everyone uses it, so something must be done. These threads cry for justice.

teamspeak has higher latency

thou I have noticed pro CSGO players using it in training not sure if its for security or if there is some hacked codex you can download to make it faster than discord.

There is none. You can only get half the product (IRC, Mumble, TS).

do it faggot

'I want to keep my friends, so I'm joining the idiocracy'. Way to be a lazy follower who requires others for validation. Go your own way kemosabe...

newsflash, retard: nobody is going to abandon their friends just to "save" the software industry.

I use Discord because IRC is shit and doesn't include voice. My friend group consists of people in a variety of tech positions (including one director level and one who's lead dev ops at a huge company) and we all switched over because ultimately Discord offered a feature rich easy to use alternative that wasn't annoying. Not like we're talking about taking over the government nor does it suddenly become the only communication channel you have to use so it's fine for just our casual daily hangout stuff

If you have to use discord you can use ripcord to escape the bloatnet

Riot is p. gud.

Attached: unnamed.png (300x300, 24K)

Doesn't matter for me anyway, I've never played a twitch shooter seriously in my life

Didn't know about this. Thanks for the tip, I can't stand the discord UI

Riot.im
Or this for low latency perfect quality voice chat

Teamspeak

matrix.org
Does everything discord does but better and federated and encrypted.
But if you want to chat with friends and family, tox is more suited for that

>Alright anons, why is everyone and their mothers using this?
Its an IRC with a lot more features without the hassle. I always used IRC and I quite like Discord, its nice to have people of different communities gathered in a standart place.
Just stay on topic specific servers and avoid the retarded weeb/furry ones and you'll be fine.

is tox even being updated anymore?

Yeah, slowly but surely (I hope, there is nothing better really.)
I'm sure they would work on it more if more people used it, unfortunately it seems that people forgot about prism, Snowden and privacy or just don't care anymore :/

if you use an irc client already, you can use bitlbee to discord chat in it

people just don't really think anything of privacy anymore. Most people I tell this stuff to think that they'll never be targeted in one way or another. Ironic considering the NSA is surveying millions of people as we speak.

If it hasn't been audited, avoid it.

wtf do you play then if you have to talk to people while gaming its prob pvp even if its not FPS still needs good latancy for that.

Why would anybody use an alternative that nobody uses.
Sorry but everyone has settled on discord. Maybe socializing isn't for you if you're not willing to cope.

Riot.im and Wire
Mumble if you just need VoIP

Tox is a protocol, pretty sure it's finished. The only thing that needs development is the client(s).

>nobody uses
Then start using it. If you're so beta that you can't move your friends away from discord then you're retarded.

That's what people said about skype, MSN messenger, and AIM.
IT's really not a big deal and a replacement will come along eventually.

This.
I use hexchat

ill ditch discord when an alternative can offer the following in one stop:

>messages are saved for an indefinitely long time frame by default (no copying and pasting manually)
>inline image and video embedding
>useful search function
>audio quality and latency at acceptable levels
>custom emoji support
>intuitive UI so that i dont have to listen to my friends complain about how pretentious i am

i used to use mumble and irc before discord. the path to beating (((them))) is convenience.

whatever happened with tox??

>muh foss

OS for users: windows/mac >>>> linux
OS for servers: redhat > any foss distro
photoshop >>>>>>>>> GIMP
maya3d/3dmax/autocad/etc >>> blender
discord/slach > IRC
chrome > firefox
illustrator > inkscape
after effects > blender
premiere > davinci resolve
jira > redmine/bugzilla
oracle > mysql/mariadb
intellij > eclipse
sublime > vscode/atom/vim/emacs
word > open/libre office
excel > open/libre office
powerpoint > open/libre office
outlook > thunderbird
shadowplay > obs
any video game ever > foss videogames (nonexistent for 30 years running)
spotify > ???
netflix/hulu > ???
pdf > ???
that 10 year old version of utorrent people still use > foss torrent clients
scrivener > bibisco/w.e else
oracle/vmware/etc > foss virtual machine garbage
premier/vegas/after effects > any foss garbage video editors if they even exist
iphone os > android
docker > kubernetes
cuda > opencl
qt > any free UI toolkit

theres only a few things left that I can think of where FOSS is actually superior

nginx/haproxy > ? dont think proprietary options even really exist because it's basically a solved problem not much to improve
literally anything > matlab mostly because matlab is a total scam that benefits from the bullshit nonfree market that is higher education
vlc/random ffmpeg frontends > ? because normal ppl just use hulu/netfix
kafka/cassandra/redis might be better than the amazon/oracle alternatives though I'm not 100% on that, they are just open sourced so they can sell support anyways so its hard to count this as a W

teamspeak sure was great it was buggy as shit and you gave your ip to the random who volunteered to shell out the 25 bucks a month for a server, which was the reason behind llike 90% of all the ddosing in online games back in the day. also people kept using teamspeak 2 over ts3 for years despite there being an unpatched remote code execution exploit in the client

Attached: 1541303572505.jpg (711x459, 51K)

Jow Forums can't into convenience; This whole board is about berating people for using Windows or iOS and then refusing to provide an alternative.

just play singleplayer games and cut off all ya friends until it falls out of popularity or just play games where you can type to team mates and pretend to be a girl.

>all this "no, u" bullshit
Kys

I was agreeing with you until
>custom emoji support
This is a horrible invention which I would like to be able to block so I don't have to see them

>someone does a better job if they get paid for it
Imagine my shock!

I have been using matrix/riot for about 2 years now. It's good. I even got my normie friends on board with it and they use it regularly.

>all this whining about Discord
Just don't use it, is that simple.

I use GroupMe. No idea if that's any better :/

It's one of my favorite discord features personally. Really makes communities feel unique. Then again I'm not in any gamer shit fuckhuge edgelord sort of servers so I don't deal with spam or people making emojis their personality

Literally mumble+XMPP.

>anymore
They never did. People didn't care about phone tapping and shit like that back in the day. No one went out of their way to make sure everything they're doing is private in the past.

bitlbee-discord kinda works some of the time. Also, how the hell do you expect to pair IRC and voice?

Midland CB-Talk app
It's the most based alternative only real men are using.

>OS for users: windows/mac >>>> linux
lol
>OS for servers: redhat > any foss distro
RHEL is FOSS
>discord/slach > IRC
lol
>chrome > firefox
lol
>oracle > mysql/mariadb
lol
>sublime > vscode/atom/vim/emacs
lol
>sublime > vscode/atom/vim/emacs
lol
>pdf > ???
standard PDF has tons of FOSS tools, also DjVu > PDF
>oracle/vmware/etc > foss virtual machine garbage
lol, KVM is the clear leader in server virtualization and VirtualBox is buggy crap
>iphone os > android
lol
>docker > kubernetes
you don't even know what you're talking about
>cuda > opencl
lol
>qt > any free UI toolkit
Qt is FOSS

There's nothing to audit. Discord doesn't have end-to-end encryption.

Riot is the only real alternative to Discord.
Everything else isn't normie friendly.

Oh no. Since it can't be audited that means it's automatically disqualified, huh. Bummer.

>not using teamspeak or steam

It's not about whether it can be audited or not. It does not even *have* features you'd want to audit, i.e. no E2EE. Discord chat is only encrypted during transport from you to their server and the other way around, but they can access its plaintext.

My priority is to be happy, and this means having friends and spending time with them.
This means I will keep using discord.

You're making the world a worse place.

Oh no. Since it can't be audited that means it's automatically disqualified, huh. Bummer. You said it yourself, "It does not even *have* features you'd want to audit", but since you responded dazed and confused maybe you don't even understand what you yourself are saying. I feel for you, user. It can't be easy being so confused.

FUCKING ZOOMERS PEOPLE HAVE HAD FRIENDS FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS BEFORE YOU DONT NEED DISCORD TO HAVE FRIENDS YOU FUCKING RETARD

How would you even talk to your friends without Discord, huh?

A lot of people who prioritized their own happiness are now in jail.

> RHEL is FOSS
But their _built_ update packages aren't.

Just use steam's built in discord. You are expected to have steam if you use discord, kek.

No, they are. They're required to be by license too. Access to their repositories is restricted to subscribers, though.

> Access to their repositories is restricted to subscribers
Waitwaitwait. Are there RHEL (not CentOS) repo mirrors maintained by volunteers? I may need one; installing CentOS packages on RHEL works, but I don't risk it for anything major.

Start a BBS make it underground AF, and allow everything on it.

Still, I'm happy. That's the only reason to keep living.
Stop screaming. You're becoming histerical.
Nice logic you got there.

it's fucking awful, this protocol is broken by design

There could, in theory, be. I don't know any details about that because I don't use RHEL personally and, presumably, most people who want a free RHEL without support just use CentOS.
Anyway, you can't just package a GPL'd program and have the binaries (or even package) be non-free. That's the whole point of the license.

just use email

Attached: 24_moebius.jpg (840x1227, 746K)

Epic bait. I bet you wasted half an hour sharting that turd of a post.

>lol
I'm going to assume this means you agree with me because not even the biggest retard would dispute the cuda>opencl one
>standard PDF has tons of FOSS tools, also DjVu > PDF
talking about the format not any specific tools though I doubt any of the FOSS ones are the best at what they do
>lol, KVM is the clear leader in server
I never mentioned virtualbox I agree it sucks and I've literally never seen KVM used anywhere in real life, not sure what you mean by clear leader like is it better than everything else? I'll take your word for it not really my area of expertise I just let the devop dweebs handle that shit
>you don't even know what you're talking about
pure projection, have you ever used either? swarm is so much more convenient than kubernetes or mesos and anything smaller than fucking ebay shouldnt be using either
>Qt is FOSS
straight up wrong a single google search will tell you this
nah not even 5 mins
yikes tho i cant imagine how much of a brainlet youd have to be to make that estimation

>talking about the format not any specific tools though I doubt any of the FOSS ones are the best at what they do
In that case, DjVu is outright better. Also, the best known nonfree tools (Adobe Acrobat) don't bring that much to standard PHP and their nonstandard PHP extensions are poorly supported elsewhere (i.e. the resulting PHP is not portable and many people won't be able to view it properly), not to mention well known for their security vulnerabilities.
>I've literally never seen KVM used anywhere in real life
Almost every decent VPS provider uses it. It's also the default for OpenStack. VMWare is usually used just for virtualization of Windows (often on Windows) and so makes a minority of real-world VM usage.
>pure projection, have you ever used either?
You implied that one is better than others (not only do they do different things but Kubernetes also uses Docker as its main container engine) and that Docker is not FOSS (it is).
>straight up wrong a single google search will tell you this
Educate yourself:
doc.qt.io/qt-5/licensing.html
>Qt licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) version 3 is appropriate for the development of Qt applications provided you can comply with the terms and conditions of the GNU LGPL version 3 (or GNU GPL version 3).
Qt has a non-free commercial license available, but that's just when you're using it in a non-free program and don't want to have LGPL things linked to it.