>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti | If you can't afford to spend 350 dollar on a CPU go with AMD.
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3400CL16 is ideal
>All AMD chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are good low budget choices for medium settings or undemanding games
>RTX 2060 thanks to 6gb vram only good for 1080p or as a short-term solution; consider 1070/Ti or Vega56 ONLY if on sale
1440p
>RTX 2070; consider 1070/Ti or Vega 56 ONLY if on sale
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice but Vega7 launch is soon so better wait
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

prev

Attached: muo-customtower1.jpg (580x435, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Yd86ZR
pcpartpicker.com/list/hYtXtg
noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_Threadripper_2950X
github.com/teejee2008/ukuu
pcpartpicker.com/list/JPX9ZR
terabyteshop.com.br/produto/8407/placa-mae-biostar-racing-x370gt3-ddr4-amd-am4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is a 1080 still a good choice for a monitor or is 4k what people should be getting now?

good job retard

is getting a ryzen 1800X a better idea than 2600 for gaming? i can get one for the same price but is it worth it?

No it is measurably worse.

It shows up if you search for pcbg, that's all that matters. Get fucked.

1440 is what people should be getting now.

Get the 2600 with a b450 board then upgrade into Ryzen 3xxx in a year

>upgrade in a year
amdrones are pathetic

*if you have the hardware for 60+++ fps at almost-ultra settings
*if you don't care about ultra settings but are fine with turning down to med/high mix in 1-2 years
*if you want to just brute force with with an i7/3400mhz ram/2080 power build

I'm upgrading form a i5 2500k to a i9 9900k.
I know it's kinda overpriced, but still, I'll use it both for VM work and gayming, and for me, the futureproof-ness is important.
I'm wonder why it isn`t even mentioned in the OP

i9 9900k runs like a housefire and is like $600 for the CPU alone after tax not including motherboard, RAM, and aftermarket cooler.

This is my current specs, I mostly do music but rarely on the computer since I have a reel2reel for initial tracking then a digital multitracker for mixdown/master.

I play games and stuff sometimes, but in general things get bogged down if it's been running for more than a day... Sometimes firefox freezes and it's the only thing open. Since I only light game, would it be best to upgrade either the CPU or RAM, or would dual booting windows (for games) and any linux (for everything else) be best?

Attached: speccles.jpg (727x505, 95K)

Same reason TR and Titans aren't mentioned either.

Nobody can afford the required cooler to keep it from thermal throttling, that's why.

Attached: damage-control.jpg (490x301, 28K)

I don't see the issue

>old thread 404'd for over an hour
I didn't see you making a thread.

Obviously depending on what you need and how good price:performance of Ryzen 3xxxx is. But considering you can get a 2600 for $200AUD rn, it’s a small initial investment that can also be sold off for about $100 next yea to go towards say a 3600. $100 for 1yr or decent cpu isn’t that bad

>Haswell
Where you from user? I have a 4670 I can swing your way from my old rig for cheap if you’re close by

As for your question, CPU then ram. Ram should be fine but another 2 4gb sticks wouldn’t hurt

1440p is just a different ball game. If you're used to building PCs for 1080p/ultra/60+ fps with a new GPU after 3 years so your PC always delivers that fidelity switching to 1440p means you either have to upgrade much sooner or only buy absolute flagship hardware.

Attached: 170.png (300x100, 48K)

Max screen size I can fit is 27-28”, there are some 4K screens at this size, is it worth buying?

My draws to 4K are pretty much so I can stream a lot in 4K and also the supposed productivity benefits by using more windows.

I don’t game a whole lot but just how bad would a 1080p picture look when scaled to 4k? I’d be using the monitor with a console too but any PC games will most likely have to be 1080p or very low settings since a 2070 is really my upper limit.

>upgrade path doesn't matter!

>VM work and gayming
just get a 2700X and save yourself the hassle of trying to unfuck the 9900k's thermal issues

So you want 4k for screen real estate? I wouldn't recommend 4k below 30", you either have to sit pretty close to the screen(less than arms length) or make liberal use of the windows magnifier. 24" for 1080p, 27" for 1440p and 30"+ for 4k is pretty much standard monitor size for those resolutions.

Have all my parts arriving this Wednesday. Gonna do a W10 install. What’s some must do’s and must have’s?

Post part list

have a USB ready with all the drivers and software you need because going one by one to download and install them on the internet is a pain.

get a icecube tray to easily sort where screws go

avoid building on carpet and if you do then discharge yourself often by touching metal like your case.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Yd86ZR
All great ideas thanks user. I live in a shed so all concrete floor but I’ll be building on a wooden table

well, COULD you make a computer out of lego?

>order the whole rig thursday night
>parts arrive between friday afternoon and saturday morning
>PSU delivery delayed until tuesday
well fuck, can't even start putting it together because everything depends on the psu.

you could make a case out of lego but don't let kids/dogs play near it

pcpartpicker.com/list/hYtXtg

can someone tell me if that cooler is sufficient for the 2950? I didn't want to go 140mm because apparently ram fitment issues, ill be using all 8 DIMMS for 128gb set up; corsair lpx low profile modules, also I keep seeing mixed reviews on the motherboard, I need a motherboard with two m.2 slots that can run in raid, the less RGB leds the better. its pretty hard to make a GAYMER rig.

Water cooled or air cooled?

a 80 dollar air cooler easily beats an 80 dollar AIO because an 80 dollar air cooler is some of the best and an 80 dollar AIO is some of the worst.

That doesn't make sense

noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_Threadripper_2950X

Expensive air coolers are fucking massive though.

So?

But it does. Really good air coolers beat the shit out of cheap AIO. But the best air coolers can't touch custom loop liquid coolers.

Already a bit late, I guess. I already bought the Z390 MB from other store, so it will give me a lot of headache to sell/return everything.
I'll see what my H110 can do, otherwise I buy a noctua nh d15 or something better.

So a $200,000 mercedes is much better than a $200,000 ferrari?

being loyal to a multi-billion dollar corporation is even more pathetic.

That makes no sense because you can't objectively compare them. Coolers have exactly one purpose, cars have a thousand.

being a commie is even more pathetic

watercooling is a meme unless you have mini ITX or you're going 240mm or above.

Is itt a good year to buy a build or should I wait for the new ryzen to come out? Was looking at the i7 9700k but the new ryzen seems to be really close to it.

Here's a question. I'm undecided for which CPU to get. I want to future-proof and get something current, but i also want what is best for gaming/multitasking.. I'm looking at getting a i9 9900k vs a i9 9960x. Money isn't an issue.

Attached: Nekokirb.jpg (799x800, 172K)

Any higher end CPU will work pretty good in the future. The intel will be the lasting winner however.

If money and heat aren't a issue then get the i9 9900k

HELLO AND WELCOME TO KEK DEALS

the intel?

What the other dude said. Or save some shekles and get the 9700k and upgrade again in 3 years to something that will be more powerful than the 9900k.

I'm an user from 2 days ago. The website I buy from has literally only one(1) AM4 motherboard in stock and it's expensive as shit.(2.5K BRL, it's the Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO). I was wondering what is the Intel equivalent to Athlon 200GE. I'll use the computer mostly for old games (PS1,Simcity 4 etc) and the only relatively recent game will be Minecraft. I'll be running GNU/Linux on it and if I have enough hard drives ZFS with mirroring. My budget is 5K BRL. The website I buy shit from is kabum.com.br. I'll spend most of the budget on hard drives because I like to hoard shit(animay). I'd also like to setup atleast 16GB of RAM. I also plan on upgrading to a better CPU in the future. I'd also like to get a PSU that's is known for working 24/7 without many issues as I almost never turn off my PC because of torrents. If any brazilian anons have any website recommendations I'd be thankful because I currently really didn't want to buy Intel hardware. Also does the 200GE really only support DDR4 at 2666Mhz maximum? Because since I plan on upgrading later on I'd like to already buy 2933Mhz minimum. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the answers.

I just wasn't sure which of the two intels you were talking about

Hi user, brazilian user here as well.
One good tool you could use to pick up the PC parts for you is logicalincrements.com.
Your budget is 5k for what? Including monitor?
Another websites you could use is pichau.com.br and terabyteshop.com.br (however these stores are in the south, so depending on where you are, the shipping may be more expensive). I usually use Kabum as well, along with mercado livre from what I don't find there.

>$1700 cpu
i hope one would know why they would need 16cores for if they bought this
and its worse for gaming

Hi! First off thanks for answering.
The 5K budget is for the CPU, motherboard, RAM, storage(SSD for OS and HDD's for hoarding), case and PSU. So only for the computer as I already have a keyboard,mouse and monitor. I'll take a look at the websites you've mentioned and hopefully they'll have the parts I'm looking for. Also I can't buy shit from mercadolivre as I'm not the person paying for the parts and the one paying for it is a boomer so he's wary of buying anything that isn't from a "trusted big corp".

To the user who needed a quiet and low power PSU, what you're looking for is a "pico PSU"

2950X is better than the 9960x and almost the price of the 9900k.

Also there's not much reason to buy any Intel CPU with HT since their HT is architecturally broken. Only Intel CPU that's worth buying currently is the 9700k. But if that's not high end enough then your only option is Threadripper or a Xeon 28c/28t or whatever the new highest end Xeons are.

are there any VR specific benchmarks/GPU rankings?

Steam VR Benchmark or VRMark

yeah, the biggest and best you can afford.

Does the Ryzen 5 2400G run with Linux Mint 19.1? I read something about problems with older kernel versions or something but I don't know how all this stuff works.

Water cooling is also safer for rigs that are moved a lot. The NHD15 is a whopping 1.5kg, that sort of weight on any mobo isn’t a good idea whilst in transit. And yet you can get similar performance out of say a 280 AIO

The 2400G had some issues before kernel 4.19 from what I remember.(I had a 2400G at the time)
If you're gonna run Linux Mint you can rest assured it will work with it's default kernel but a newer kernel is always recommended and updating to a newer one is pretty easy as github.com/teejee2008/ukuu exists. The only issue is the greedy pajeet developing it made newer versions paid but I'm sure someone is gonna fork it and it's not like it's suddenly gonna stop working.

reposting from last thread:
Any thoughts on this chinese Socket 1155 motherboard?
I know RandomgaminginHD has done a video on it, and he concluded that it's mostly a gamble.
I'd like to "freshen up" a Dell optiplex (3rd gen i5, 8gb 1600mhz ram) for a friend and I need to get another motherboard because I'd like to get them a case with better airflow.
So far my only options are either used 2012-era socket 1155 ebay motherboards that sell for 70-80€ each, or this chinese mobo that seems very suspect.

Attached: chinese mobo.jpg (1001x1001, 89K)

Hi, I’m stuck between the following

570 4gb - £140
570 8gb - £150
580 4gb - £170
580 8gb - £185

DDR4 is cheap enough now that you should seriously just scrap the whole idea and start fresh. I could see going the Chinese mobo route if you really wanted to build an X79 system last year during the worst period of the DDR4 price gouge and if you had a load of DDR3 on hand, but to go through the hassle of buying a used 7 year old mobo or some offbrand chinkshit 1155 to salvage 8gb of DDR3 and a 4c/4t (locked I'm guessing) i5... for a new case with better airflow?

Not worth it my man.

what do you mean with broken
9700k is literally less worth than 9900k and its selling less too
id rather get the extra threads desu

He's talking about how last year's security patches have nerfed hyperthreading performance.

570 8gb is at the sweetspot, but I'd spend the 35 more to get the 580 8gb. There's considerable difference.

How much difference, like an extra year of future proofing?

Ok I am so pissed at my current build.

I wanted to wait for ryzen 3xxx but fuck it.
I am pretty sure I don't need that much power for gaming in the future and with an 8c/16t CPU I will be settled for years.
2700x now or will I really hate myself soon?

currently i7-920 and a R9 290 with 1440p 144Hz
crashing at Doom and CS:GO regulary which I am so sick right now.

This is impossible to know. There's no game that the 580 runs that the 570 doesn't. Your compromise will be on settings.

I have a crappy PSU working with my 570 and I was wondering about power limits. The card is quite noisy under load at 0%, temperatures kinda average since the fans don't really kick in, but what's noisy is that it's buzzing like hell. I put -30% on that power limit and the buzzing is much less noticeable. I put +30% and I'm begging for the computer not to explode, the temperatures go high enough somehow that to maintain a temperature 2C higher it goes from something like 1200RPM to 3200. I find that many people who do the whole overclocking thing suggest first to raise the power limit to 50% which... in my case seems overkill.

But, like I said, my PSU is absolute garbage. So I was thinking, would getting a really, really good PSU get rid of that problem? Or would temperatures be the same? It seems like the card is struggling right there and the noise is concerning but I'm not sure if it's capable of heating up more because the PSU can't handle it.

Yeah that’s what I thought. I imagine the 580 will last longer in terms of playing stuff at 1080/60/max than the 570 but I can’t find any definitive benchmarking results between the 570 8gb and the 580 8gb

Why don’t you care about performance/dollar, pcbg?

Attached: B7090857-DDD3-43C8-A9A8-2474D7DAC56B.jpg (4032x3024, 2.28M)

The 580 has about 12% more shader units and generally runs about 100 MHz faster out of the box than the 570. The 570s bandwidth is also nerfed a bit but this is unlikely to be what has an effect on performance. Best case scenario for a 570 is that if you could achieve similar clocks to a 580 then it'd be about 12% slower.

To follow up on what the other user said, the 570 is definitely "the deal" among all of the Polaris cards. You're definitely overpaying a little bit for that last 10-25% extra performance you get between jumping up to the 580 or 590 versions of Polaris.

What am I looking at nigga?

>the absolute state of g
A purchased a cpu for $11, shipped

No shit, what cpu?

Good luck with your ancient and/or chink motherboard I guess.

e5649

Need cooler recommendations for my i7 9700k, in an NZXT H500.
Not the Dark Rock Pro 4, bought it, piece of shit broke and they won't respond to my replacement requests.
The Noctua NH-D15 I'm pretty sure won't fit in my case. The DRP barely would and the NH is bigger.

Thanks.

>lga13xx is ancient

Thanks for the help anons. I think I’m going to go for the 580 just for the extra grunt and potential future proofing

My Cooler Master MC500m case has a "control board" that all the stock fans are plugged into. I don't know how the fuck to connect them from this control board to the actual motherboard and the manuals and google say nothing. What do I do?

What's a good monitor for 1440p 144hz for less than $500? Is it even possible?

>I'm binna use da same putta foreva!

Attached: drake-nfl-curse.jpg (600x453, 63K)

How the fuck do you break an air cooler?

Alphacool Eiszeit if you want to overclock. Memes aside look at the Thermalright lineup or go with next smaller Noctua, it will still be cool enough with all the fans attached.

Get a non-meme case and get an NH-D15 like I told you yesterday.

>a socket released 11 (eleven) years ago is not ancient
The only working LGA 1366 motherboards are either on their last legs or are sketchy Chinese knockoffs. I'm not knocking the CPU as those are usually bulletproof but the same can't be said for well worn mobos.

Attached: 1503098198868.gif (300x228, 1.91M)

You need at least a 360 rad

What's a good GPU that's just below high-end that will last me for 2-3 years?

Did you know?
You can turn LED's off

Same user again.
Here are some of the builds I made according to my budget, my worries and things I like about each. I made these because I want the opinion of other people on each of them so I can pick the best/least worst one.
This is the first build I tried to save up on everything in order to get a decent CPU,GPU, memory and PSU.
pcpartpicker.com/list/JPX9ZR
The motherboard is actually a Biostar Racing X370GT3 and is full ATX as I don't like other smaller form factors.
What I want to attempt with this setup is to have faster compile times on Gentoo, the distro I run. Also I got the 2x3TB hard drives to setup 'em up in a mirror on ZFS.
Now onto what worries me about this. The motherboard according to
terabyteshop.com.br/produto/8407/placa-mae-biostar-racing-x370gt3-ddr4-amd-am4 only supports 2933Mhz memory with overclocking. Also there's only one review on the Micro ATX one on pcpartpicker of a guy complaining about it. Also as I saved up on money on most things I'm not sure to whether or not it's safe to have only one fan in the case. The GPU is a RX580 because it's well supported on Linux and in the near future it might be supported on OpenBSD as well. Also I got the M2 SSD because that motherboard only has 4 sata ports so I didn't want to hog them with it and the SSD was cheap.
continuing in another post.

What’s your monitor