Jow Forums, how do we cleanse the internet off this shit?

Jow Forums, how do we cleanse the internet off this shit?

Attached: discord.png (204x200, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mastodon.xyz/@TheKinrar/100504098312571577
riot.im/
riot.im/app/
about.riot.im/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: matrix.png (279x129, 2K)

don't be social with people you play games with become antisocial and play singleplayer shit you need to catch up on until it falls out of popularity and inbuild steam voip or Microsoft voip or some thing improves.

it'll die within the next few years like literally everything else before it did and something else will replace it
something else which will likely be even worse

Make a better product.

This.

t. moron who has never done anything of worth in your life

this. Freetards need to realize that no one is going to use their software if it's not retard friendly and is able to provide something that other products can't do

ddos

yeah like cutting yourself while snorting HRT drugs

It's already been around since 2015. It's not going away any time soon. That doesn't mean I like using it. I've just uninstalled the client from my PC and use it in the browser and have been trying to use it as little as possible as you mention.

mastodon.xyz/@TheKinrar/100504098312571577

Just get rid of your tranny friends.

how about uhm

we do

something

to uhmmmmmm
to take
*insert something to evade fbi filters*
it down

Build something with the same or improved feature set that's somehow even easier to use and maybe at that point you might attract some users. Good luck matching Discord's dev pace and funding tho.

Bring back the telegraph
I'll talk to my friends with beeps

Sorry but I doubt.

What's to hate about it anyways outside of Jow Forums's usual crazy "muh privacy, gotta stop the government from getting to my cp" bullshit pulled out of your ass?
It's just a fucking app to chat with groups of people.

Its retard and faggot bait which is unsurprisingly filled with retards and faggots.

If right in this moment the door to your living room opens and some people show up, adjusting cameras everywhere and just stay, watching every move and every word, would you enjoy it? Because this us what literally happens when you use discord. Everything is collected, analysed, profiled and sold further.

Matrix is functionally equivalent to Discord, you degenerate (((data merchant))) apologist.

killing yourself would be a start to cleanse the internet of shit.

nobody uses it

And so you should fix that. It's also pretty much alone it at least the niche of E2EE and federation, since the alternatives usually require your phone number (Signal, WhatsApp, Telegram), are nonfree or have nonfree parts (WhatsApp, Telegram) or need special extensions that not every client supports (XMPP).

Consider the following:
- if a new community is looking for a place to chat, then they're not tied to Discord or IRC yet; make them start on Matrix right away
- if it's an existing IRC channel, just use the Matrix-IRC bridge; matrix.org has the bridge already available for several major IRC networks, such as Freenode and Rizon
- if it's an existing Discord guild, get a guild admin to set up the Matrix bridge for its channels, then use that and let other people know that it's available

By getting rid of stupid boomers like you

Does it have high quality voip, grops, conferences, room management?

>mastodon.xyz/@TheKinrar/100504098312571577
>Mastodon

Total trash

how did discord suddenly become so big

>it's a free open and secure IM!
>just have to set your own server up, goy ;)

Normies unironically do not know how to do this and probably don't want to forward ports to their home.

zoomers *sips*

It's still free and (if you turn on E2EE for the room) secure if you use a public server, such as the official matrix.org one. Do you even know what are you talking about?

Exactly, plus they most likely have a dynamic IP, and they don't want to pay for a VPS to host it either.

it's impossible to self-host unless you sell your data to other companies, or literally take the money out of your paycheck like moot.

By improving, and popularising, , and making sure there's enough public servers for all the people who don't want to maintain own servers to have a good user experience.

it's better than being a ts neckbeard

Wahhhhh, why don't normal people use my preferred weird, ugly, unintuitive, never heard of before, non advertised speaking program.

I have one set up as a back up in case discord dies

So why do you think that you need to self-host a Matrix node in order to use it to chat? There are public instances and E2EE takes care of message contents.

There are dozens of better products, from pidgin to trillian to mumble to teamspeak to cryptocat

I liked it in 2015
i hate it now
it even has a store and people pay $15 a month for skins and emotes to use in their chats.

anyway, twitch integration, reddit integration / linking, and amazon buying twitch / making amazon prime giving you twitch prime, which gives you discord benefits, etc, it's all part of the same ecosystem

Quit giving normies attention, even if you're making fun of them and mocking their stupidity e.g. this thread . Normies thrive on the hate because of their victim mentality and complex. Stop feeding the melodramatic attention-whores.

>just have to set your own server up
Just use riot.im/ if you don't want to set up your own server. It still support federation, so you're not really losing out on anything.

I swear I'm dyslexic. I read the OP as "how do we cleanse the internet of shit"

the only correct answer

riot.im is a client. You probably meant matrix.org, which is set as the default homeserver on the riot.im/app/ instance of Riot.

>been hosting vent/teamspeak for the last 10 years or more for bros, many random people joined us and we had a small community
>come 2019 everyone moved on to d*scord
Give it back! That wasn't right, that was ours! We built it, dammit!

Attached: 1455108529861.jpg (499x383, 37K)

being the same as discord doesn't give it a real reason why the average fag should switch over. Matrix needs to provide something that discord doesn't

- Federation
- Choice of multiple clients
- Way bigger file size limit (100 MiB on matrix.org and custom on other homeservers vs 8 MiB on Discord, 50 MiB when subscribed)
- Doesn't force people to have silly #1234 numbers in their username
- End-to-end encryption
- No dumb memes on loading screens, in settings, etc.
- Not after your private info
- Can easily bridge to other chat networks

what?

>Federation
>Choice of multiple clients
>Doesn't force people to have silly #1234 numbers in their username
>End-to-end encryption
>Not after your private info
>Can easily bridge to other chat networks
Normies don't care about all this, especially the choice of multiple clients. They don't want to even think about that

>Way bigger file size limit
Only useful if you're posting something over 50 MiB. Only thing I can think of that goes over that are 24bit lossless FLACs
>No dumb memes on loading screens, in settings, etc.
Normies probably love this feature

>Normies don't care about all this, especially the choice of multiple clients.
I've heard several complain about how resource-hungry or ugly the default client is and wanted some more normal alternative.

>Only useful if you're posting something over 50 MiB.
Even most normalfags will prefer to switch service than to pay $10/month just to upload slightly bigger files.

>Normies probably love this feature
These can stay there. I don't want them near my communities.

>I've heard several complain about how resource-hungry or ugly the default client is and wanted some more normal alternative.
Everyone would just use the client that is simple and intuitive to use, and light on resources if you gave them options. The Discord client I can agree, is a flat meme mess

>Even most normalfags will prefer to switch service than to pay $10/month just to upload slightly bigger files.
The extra 50 MiB you get from using Matrix is good, but majority of these normalfags will not even take advantage of this. I would say it's more of a nice thing to have but certainly not a need

>These can stay there. I don't want them near my communities.
Me neither

>The extra 50 MiB
Discord only has 8 MiB for free. You have to subscribe (i.e. pay monthly/annually) to have 50 MiB. 8 MiB is low enough that people would often hit limits (e.g. photographs, videos, archives of various things, programs, ...).

I thought it was 5 MiB?

The biggest problem is how matrix markets itself. No one will ever switch if they continue with the privacy activism and throwing technical words like "host", "decentralized", etc, because it looks daunting, hard and a hassle for non-enthusiasts

You can open matrix and discord's pages and see the difference youself. Matrix stamps on your face:
>An open network for secure, decentralized communication.
Sounds like some uber hacker stuff for the dumb average user. WTF is decentralized communication? I just want to chat with memes and play games.

Meanwhile, discord has the following:
>It's time to ditch Skype and TeamSpeak
They start by associating the product to something people already know. You read this sentence and know what discord is and have a sense of familiarity since you know skype and TS
Then they go for the kill
>All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.
Define the product in laymen terms, give the incentive to switch (""""""free""""""") and people are sold.

You can go deeper by the product itself. Discord has one client, and is pretty easy to use. Meanwhile matrix lets you choose a range of ways to use. No average person wants to have to chose, they want something to click that works with minimal input. Nothing made for enthusiasts will beat something made for the average public when it comes to userbase size unless they actually dress and dumb it down.

>You can open matrix and discord's pages and see the difference youself.
Matrix's homepage is aimed more at people interested at the protocol in general. If you want to advertise Discord-like chat capabilities, point people at Riot: about.riot.im/
Also, not saying that it doesn't work as advertisement, but comparing your product by implying that competitors are bad with unsubstantiated statements like that is just rude.

Offer a better product on all fronts to demographics that matter.
Sorry, but all of these alternatives fail on this most important aspect, and unlike Slack for example, they don't target a different demographic.

You want gamers on board, but you don't want to market to them. You want the IRC crowd to make the switch, but don't actually offer them something better. You want enterprise but don't bother actually figuring out what enterprise clients need.

Endlessly spamming about how Riot is secure isn't a good enough reason, it's as if everyone who pushes for Riot is completely blind to why anyone started using Discord in the first place. I guess it's what happens when there's a huge social disconnect.

Everyone started using Discord because Slack and Matrix/Riot weren't out yet and, not everyone was able to trivially host their own Mumble server, Skype that they used for group chat became even worse, XMPP was partially killed off when Google split Hangouts away from it and no existing service offered decent integration of VOIP and text chat channels.
If not for voice chat almost on pair with Mumble and TeamSpeak, few people would be using Discord. Even for normalfags, the Discord text chat has few adventages over Skype, IRC and XMPP.

Yes, everybody started using Discord because they offered FREE voice and text services in a unified platform that integrated well with games. They STILL haven't dropped marketing almost exclusively to gamers.

Riot doesn't have a good platform, it just doesn't. It doesn't know who it wants to market to, and "people who want secure messaging" isn't a demographic. You hit the website, and you're smacked with vague shit. Team collaboration, voice chat, share, call, crypto. You hit discord's website and immediately are met with "DUMP SKYPE AND TEAMSPEAK, SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE". They know EXACTLY who they're marketing to, gamers who are frustrated by skype or these individual services and it's worked there's a huge demographic for that and in turn those people spread discord to their friends.

Marketing matters. Without it, your product/service dies. Marketing isn't just buying some google ads or spamming 4channel, it's about a lot more.

Perhaps. Also note that gamers aren't the only audience and Matrix/Riot might be more attractive to various more technical communities that still stick to IRC and Slack, since Discord isn't exactly something that looks attractive to them (the various memes and other stupidity has been shown to turn away at least some people).
Anyway, I'll continue to try to convince people on smaller scale to use it. It's probably the best we have right now and certainly better than yet another field of the Internet dominated by a single proprietary anti-user service.

Riot is a host server as well as a client, so if you want to use Matrix without hosting your own server or downloading a client program to use it, Riot is a solution.

No, Matrix (the matrix.org homeserver) is a server. Riot is only a client that uses it by default. Not that it matters much, since they're owned and developed by the same company.

Attached: last.png (444x395, 20K)

Right, and in those cases, Riot is being beaten out for other reasons. Slack was first on the scene so it has that advantage and it relentlessly goes after Enterprise. Microsoft Teams has the huge warchest of Microsoft being bundled with O365.
Then there are other solutions that are trying to bridge certain technical gaps, like Spectrum which offer more visible/public searchable discussions.

Riot just doesn't know what it wants. It's leaving it up to users to figure out reasons why they should use it. That just doesn't scale. Without a really solid answer to this, it will, like other great products that neglected marketing, flounder until something else comes along.

Slack also cut their IRC endpoint in an attempt at EEE and quite a lot of users were greatly annoyed by that. Also, Matrix can be self-hosted, which is quite important for a lot of enterprise groups. For example, the French government is deploying a Matrix network for their internal use.

>Normies unironically do not know how to do this

Not even that. I just can't be fucked to do so and I'm smart enough not to give personal information out on Gamer Skype.

Just use the browser version... You only have to worry about what you say being collected, rather than a literal botnet on your PC.