/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkCat54.jpg (3072x2304, 497K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/13771/amd-ces-2019-ryzen-mobile-3000-series-launched
notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-Roadmap-Chinese-leak-reveals-Lenovo-s-release-plans-for-2019-including-new-ThinkPad-X390-T495s.400896.0.html
lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/batteries/BATTERY-ThinkPad-Battery-70/p/0A36303
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is the nu-thinkpad with the best island-style keyboard?

Kind reminder that this command is good
>xrandr --output LVDS1 --gamma .70:.70:.50

i have been browsing this general for years but never actually found something worth buying here on ebay EU

Well that just sucks. Why is the world so cruel, bros?

thanks user for giving me a solution, I always wonndered why that hole was there. Ill look into the lock. got any other security suggestions?

I can't afford to lose it is all. don't have the money, and I see constant oppurtunities for people to steal off me. (my bag stolen, my room broken into [theres a lot of theft I hear in my area].)
It's just TOO expensive, and I don't want to just..lose it, with no justice for me.

Insurance is that Justice. Police NEVER give a fuck about stolen items. I'm the only one who cares about my laptop which sucks. And the nigger who stole it, might....AH! THANKS user. YOU MADE ME REALISE SOMETHING. I have warranty, SO...as long as the Police catch the nigger who stole it. whatever STATE OF DISREPAIR its in, Lenovo will fix it for me, under the base warranty.
THEREFORE, I dont have to worry, not until 2020! (pleased sigh) ( ⋂⋂’) thanks user for talking to me.

So NOW, the only problem, is if the nigger gets away. HEY GUYS..what can I do to always know my laptops location, or special info I need to help police??

Attached: sad.jpg (307x164, 7K)

should i dodge a i7 dual core and instead get a i5 on my t440

This might be the cutest thinkcat yet

Shame that P70 is a brick. I got second hand X1C, a slim concealable (under-jacket) backpack, and have it on me at all times.

yeah i know. I cant even remember what the benefits were? imy battery sucks ass on it.

>tfw you thought you were 2 levels of Jow Forums higher than the average man, so to stroke your ego you bought it, and now it just causes you annoyance, without any noticable reward for your effort

Attached: images.jpg (216x233, 9K)

>falling for muh manly heavy laptop meme
lmao

>My only concern is that it has the fix for meltdown/spectre/whatever which would cut down performance.
Since you're on an older machine installing Retpoline under Linux should be enough, which has a performance hit much smaller than the one you'd get when patching Spectre on Windows.

yall told me it was fine b4.as long as you can handle it. "extra computing power" whatever the fuck that even means?

ALSO...I reread the warranty. It only covers "out-of-box, technical, or common-use issues that may arise during warranty term."
Included:
• Phone support (9am - 5pm, Monday - Friday)
• Free parts & labor
Not Included:
• Drops
• Spills
• Electrical Surges

Is it possible to disguise a drop as a technical or manafactural problem? Also, how hard is it to fix ThinkPad drops?

Attached: crossed.jpg (960x720, 60K)

>Is it possible to disguise a drop as a technical or manafactural problem?
Usually not. Service centers have ways to tell.
>Also, how hard is it to fix ThinkPad drops?
Depends how hard it lands. HDD can get busted by even a small height drop (eg. off the table) and will need to be replaced if that happends. Next vulnerable point is screen if you drop the machine open - again, doesn't so much get fixed but rather needs replacement. Eveything else should live unless you literally throw it out of the window. Brickpads are resilient like that.

Besides worse battery life, are there other downsides to the AMD Thinkpads?

>>Also, how hard is it to fix ThinkPad drops?
I've heard people complaining about driver support or rather lack of, I've seen stories where the drivers laptop shipped with were the only drivers ever made, no updates ever so if something doesn't work you're fucked amd isn't patching anything, maybe it's better on linux idk

So I'm having a grinding fan noise issue on my T420. It works perfectly otherwise or when you tap the bottom, but you only hear it when it goes into overdrive. Is the bearing lubricant going bad is it situated incorrectly?

amd now handles drivers on lappies :)

>

Part of AMD's announcement also touched on a policy change in its Windows driver line-up. Starting in Q1, any laptop with a Ryzen Mobile CPU that uses integrated graphics will be supported direct from AMD with a single driver package to cover all devices. This will, according to AMD, enable them with Day 0 driver support for the latest game titles and updates, as well as simplify the process between AMD, OEMs, and end users. This proved to be an especially rough point of friction with gamers and other power users on the first-generation parts, so it's a significant improvement in how AMD is going about driver support.

anandtech.com/show/13771/amd-ces-2019-ryzen-mobile-3000-series-launched

>laptop gamers
lol

well it is true that the A series has a faster gpu

You can get T series with nvidia graphics and then it's roughly equal to A series igpu, though intel beats both in terms of power efficiency by a huge margin

I have a coworker that has a w530 and wants to sell it for 200 due to the screen.
Should I get it?

what does it do?

What's with the screen and what's the specs

I'll have to investigate main question to see is it even worth asking at that price price

h...hello

Attached: IMG_1294.jpg (4032x3024, 2.39M)

I'd get it.

Do I have to do this with my x200 or is the screen okay?

What ThinkPad will let me play AOE2 well?

Repasted my X230 today
Solid ~13C difference in temps and improved overall comfort of using on the lap.

Once you go black, you never go back. Never bought this with niggers, but with lappies it seems true.
Just tried it, pretty cozy. Do I have to add this to xinit or something?

uwu

yoga 460 desu

Might be nice to put it as a cron job for evenings

Is the 1600x1200 IPS screen in the T43p the same one as the 1600x1200 IPS screen in the T60p? I have a T43p with the 1600x1200 screen, and considering buying a T60 or T60p and swapping it into one of those

Attached: 1548624460823805.jpg (1746x2328, 2.31M)

>FOTS
Fuck you for buying that garbage.

Nice. What thermal paste did you use?

How easy is it to buy the actual IPS T60p screen now (instead of some chinky compatible panel)? There's a cheap t60 for sale nearby, if it's easy to get and fit in the IPS panel I might actually buy it.

LOL i have one and riced my T43 with it
don't ask how I got it to fit lel

nani desu

takes care of your eyes
you can keep it in your .xinitrc or set it manually from GUI depending on your DE. Or you can use redshift and set it there.

whats the best X___ for someone who's poor and doesn't care about performance

X200/1, X220, X230

thx

>tfw ccfl memepads will eventually die, probably before 2025.
On one hand I’m very sad, on the other I’m happy that the libreboot trannies are getting fucked by this. Fuck them for ruining the market for the most qt thinkpads

You can convert them all to LED

I can already see some fag claiming that x60 is still all he needs in 2025.

nigga at least give me some credit for that sheesh
glad you like it though

Attached: 2019-01-26-1548534380.png (1278x710, 198K)

Just sharing the word. Didn't know credit was a thing in anonymous image boards

it was a joke

Fuck off redditor.

>wanting credit on anonymous basket weeving forum

don't blame him, he's autistic

You can have an 8.37lb laptop with pic related + 9cell + 90W power brick + slice battery + hdd in caddy
it was a joke you troglodytes. it's a fucking xrandr line with some options jesus christ the autism in this thread.

Attached: hackintoshelitebook.jpg (4640x2610, 2.53M)

I just got myself a T440s, with an i7 dual core and 12gb ram and 240 gig SSD. You cannot get a better deal on a laptop. Battery life is not the greatest, but not the worst, coming from a shitty gaming laptop. My 2013 MBP still has this thing beat in terms of battery life and screen quality but I'm looking into upgrading the screen. Any recommendations for a good 1080p IPS display, this thing really fucking sucks and 1600x900 is for poor faggots

$250 by the way and just ordered a dock for $15

You get more than what you pay for.

Battery life on that thing is amazing with the 6cell battery.

got a dock for my t420, ideally I want to be able to throw a running/sleeping laptop on it and pass the signal to a monitor, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Usb kbm activates just fine, but the monitor doesn't unless I turn the laptop on from a cold state when it's already on the dock. What am I doing wrong?

Attached: cb116379-6e5e-4430-a672-5c8814c12bb3_1.cdf4c6f0c2fdcc2a3a27e4c1fb967fe1.jpg (1500x570, 109K)

>complains about autism
>posts his thinkpadCollection.txt every fucking thread

Attached: really_dude_really.gif (202x360, 1.84M)

i completely riced my T43 out because I had a dead T60 with a good screen and the T43 screen died
>
now having second thought but good for laughs

>thinkpad post in a thinkpad thread
woaw so autistic

hes not cool enough for a thinkpad

Attached: 20171125_204318.png (1080x1830, 509K)

>irrelevant and unrequested list of shit you bought once upon a time
>insightful commentary such as "32 fukken gigs" and "why did I buy this lol so rAnDuMb"
>craves attention so badly he adds it to a random post in every thread just to let people know he's here
>thinking it's useful to anyone in the thread at all, ever
>always sure to take a new screenshot so no one can easily search the archives and display his autism
I'm sorry, it's terminal.

Don't be so stingy, he's actually been helpful last thread

Imagine getting this asspained over an image of a text file.
And I take new screenshots of it because I change shit up or add machines. Sorry I don’t have a tracking device to take pictures of shit alongside autistic anime girls and post them for upboats.
Also I post them because sometimes people ask for recs or help. It’s a way to show that I have experience with whatever model. And damn you must be jelly as fuck at that W520. It’s a steal, I know.
The fucking thing came with the original packing material. It doesn’t even have the corner wear on the lid like every other thinkpad “mint” out there.
What do you think of the ips X220’s I just picked up, do they make you mad too?

Don't reply to attention-starved redditors.

is a Z61M worth getting? someone is selling one and i want to talk the price down because their screen is busted. Never really see the Z series discussed here so just wondering if anyone has any experience with this model

What the slimmest/portable & cheap model?

googaru, or ready the 1st post

any model that has XP support. That means *30 series and earlier. It's the only way to run AoE with proper CD support.
(protip: you need nlite to bundle the sata and network drivers and remember to put the usb controller in 2.0 mode)

You don’t want a slim laptop

Pick up a trip already, redditor

>if I receive criticism it means the other party is asspained
Try not projecting so hard.

Even my X200 runs it well through wine. The original though, I couldn’t get the HD version to run on anything. udev rule with xrandr script

>own small, light modern laptop
>still use old x200 for everything
When they ask why I say ok now this is epic.

Attached: mm.jpg (1346x2002, 591K)

>modern laptop
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
modern laptops are shit

How about L470?

what ThinkPad is Stallman using in that pic?

It's one of the new E series thinkpads, its pretty neat just never use it even after paying like 600€

lmaoing at you from my t480s

X1 Yoga or x380 (or a Dell?)
all I want is: 2in1 that I can flip, under 1.5kg (3lbs) and has a stylus that isn't Ntrig tech and with thunderbolt and isn't loud.

I don't care if it gets hot so long as it's not very loud.

I have a yoga 730 and it's great but I want to upgrade to an actual thinkpad and since CES showed fuck all, I might as well get one of the current models

I've been using my T430 with the chiclet keyboard for some time now, and despite how much hate it gets, It has worked nicely for me. I've had the misfortune to work with truly atrocious chiclet keyboards before and in comparison the T430's keyboard feels like heaven.

Is the shilling for the classic keyboard upgrade just coming from a bunch of nostalgiafags who hated the change/missed the old key layout or is it truly an enhanced typing experience that makes the upgrade worth it?

>enhanced typing experience
no not really, what's better about classic keyboard is the layout and if you got used to the new layout it'll be nothing but awkward for you

iirc he used an x60 before his T400s, think it's docked in that picture. Looks t60ish though

Just nostalgiafagging. I like the new keyboards because pageup/pagedown is grouped together with the arrow keys so easier navigation, and the home/end keys are much closer to home row where I can just extend a finger. In comparison to the old layoutI have to move my entire hand to reach them.
Also the keys are better spaced, and they wear out much harder so no shiny, worn out keys.

real advice, set up an xmodmap file.
having a layer on meta makes any keyboard layout you use irrelevant.
meta +j,k for page up,down is life changing. So is meta + whatever for volume, brightness, mpc controls etc.
if your laptop is great why do you want to change it? don't be a consumerist whore.
lmao three (3) fucking posts because your tushy hurts. I don't know what your problem is but you need to tidy up your life user.

Attached: 1548482061329.jpg (2186x2892, 443K)

how loud is the x200?

X1 Yoga
What's wrong with ntrig?

You've got a point but for some reason, the fans go crazy at times and it's gotten to the point that it's too distracting for work since I take it in as netflix machine/games when we have downtime.

We're talking just playing Morrowind on it for example so nothingp ushing it hard

Surface Ntrig is the issue - Yoga is AES NTrig which is better.

You'll notice it maybe if you take a ruler and draw slowly, a diagonal line.
But I've noticed also with the Surface 6 a few months ago that I tried, it would jump and act as if resting my hand on the screen = constant input so the cursor would jump.

I've not noticed this with my Yoga 730 which is AES ntrig

So clean the fan out and repaste.

notebookcheck.net/ThinkPad-Roadmap-Chinese-leak-reveals-Lenovo-s-release-plans-for-2019-including-new-ThinkPad-X390-T495s.400896.0.html
How good the AMD Ryzen Mobile variants would be? Especially the T495s

Attached: 1546893298174.jpg (540x720, 71K)

Mine are dead silent after replacing the thermal paste. Temps usually never go near/above 50

Attached: 1530880995699-a.jpg (4093x2232, 529K)

I've only ever worked on desktops.
How does repasting work on a laptop since isn't the CPU soldered?

When I press the space bar on the far sides it often doesn't respond.

Bruh it's the same thing only thinner, like what do you mean by 'soldered cpu' kek
Unscrew everything, take off the heat pipe on top of the cpu and clean it. Even my superthin vaio pro is done this way

but user you forgot about the BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
My fucking X220T has insane coil whine, much more than any other machine. mSATA ssds make it even worse since they whine like a bitch too.

What is the absolute best battery I can buy for a T420? This one?
lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/batteries/BATTERY-ThinkPad-Battery-70/p/0A36303

Is it worth the price tag? Or should I go for a third party. I just want to max out my battery life

Huh, okay. I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the help, user.

Why is it that I can HEAR the cpu processing. If I go to the top of this page and hold "down", and put my ear right above the computer, I can hear it screetch everytime it has to rerender the page. And it's not the fans. I've tried this on a different thinkpad with a different OS and it's still noticable.

obsessed

My x200's have no such whine. I had to replace one my my machines fans though because it started to show it's age. But other than that I've had no problems. I don't know how my one x220 performs though, basically bought it and threw it in the corner.

Attached: 1530865271884-v.jpg (3169x2343, 367K)