Software has taken a step backwards with these flat designs...

Software has taken a step backwards with these flat designs. Windows 7 / OS X Mavericks were the last good looking (commercial, desktop) operating systems.

Attached: skeuomorphic_vs_minimalistic[1].png (1920x1080, 284K)

Minimalistic design looks better

Don't know.
I've had my flat Linux GUI since 2011 and still love it.
Was happy when Windows 10 became cute.

>implying people should make their PCs look like newgrounds flash games

why not both

Attached: 1544555174971.png (1920x1080, 160K)

pure flat is outdated, "designers" came up with a "3d flat" thing now that is basically layers of flat things with shadows.

Agreed.
Vista is beautiful
So is KDE

lmao what
windows 10 is unironically 80% of how I imagined my dream GUI back in the windows 7 days
I hate the w7 look so god damn much... really, windows 2000 was the last pre-w10 look that was good (not gonna touch on linux DEs, but for how shitty gnome is, it's the one that looks best out of the box).

I hate when useful things are removed because a useless fag wants a clean blank space instead.

Attached: 1516082359958.jpg (750x880, 233K)

>text floats on top of button

The greatest design type coming through

Attached: sv35iconmail.png (1152x900, 16K)

Flat itself isn't bad, its the padding and whitepsace shit that came with it.
Years ago 1080p was roomy, now 1080p feels cramped like 768p

It still kinda sucks. I miss when the different UI elements gave an illusion of depth. 3D flat fails to do it just right.

my toolbar is ultra tiny on ubuntu because of this

It's the result of graphics artists convincing the industry that they should be paid more for doing less work. Convince me otherwise.

>mfw i realised windows 10 looks like a scratch project
>mfw you're right

Flat shit is awful. This hide everything behind an arbitrarily placed single icon is awful.

Stupid, stupid interfaces designed for stupid, stupid people. And I guarantee that this is precisely what anyone on the UI teams would tell you: That they were instructed to make it for morons.

Attached: idiocracy_hospital.jpg (500x273, 69K)

At least the DON'T FUCKING USE PANCAKE MENUS.
FOOTFAGS, WHAT DOES PANCAKE BUTTON DO? WHAT DOES SYRUP PANCAKE BUTTON DO?
YOUR ARE TOO STUPID TO READ, AREN'T YOU? FUCKING GNOMEFAGS AND GNOME PROGRAMMERS.

Attached: 32324.png (1366x768, 130K)

The retarded thing is that things like depth or outlines on buttons weren't skeuomorphic. Skeuomorphic originally referred to imitating physical interfaces on software ui. Like music software having knob that you had to turn or imitation dangling wires. Apple was criticized by web designers for having imitation textures on their apps, but that wasn't part of the function of the software. The calendar software had leather texture complete with stitching and bits of paper. They updated it to flat design, but the software functioned exactly the same. It's just that you could no longer tell what was clickable or active. Same with iOS, they removed all of the gloss and depth, but ios6 and ios7 were functionally the same.

Attached: iCal-Messy.png (450x192, 70K)

>Writes it on flat background
phew, i believe ya

Actually skeuomorphic interface. You have to operating by "turning" the knobs and sliders with your cursor. Other music software has you "patch" components with virtual wires. The texture has nothing to do with it, it could the same images in the background, but use the standard OS interface controls and it wouldn't be skeuomorphic because then it's not imitating physical interfaces.

Web designers think that if they got rid of the depth and texture but left knob/slider interface that it would be non-skeuomorphic.

Attached: thor-closeup.af6481aa313e.jpg (756x621, 160K)

IBM's RealThings software was some of the first to call itself skeuomorphic. Their research said that people were intimidated by traditional software interfaces, so IBM that thought that by imitating real physical objects people would transfer their knowledge to software. In RealPhone you had to click the receiver before you could dial and you had to click it again to "hang-up". Of course software that superficially imitated real objects didn't really function like the objects that they were imitating. A software rolodex that required required you to click on a knob to flip virtual animated pages didn't novices use a computer, it only complicated things. The way a novice learned how to use a computer was to spend time using a computer and getting used to it.

Web developers think that skeuomorphic design means being able to distinguish between usable and non-usable elements.

Attached: ibm.gif (455x236, 16K)

I honestly thin flat design is superior to everything else

Attached: flat.jpg (1920x1080, 651K)

I don't even use Apple but I fucking like this

Holo>all

Attached: holo-theme-android-40.jpg (1600x900, 106K)

>no colors
that's completely retarded, why would you not use one of the fundamentals in design to make things easier to distinguish?

Honestly, text-only design is superior to everything else

Attached: 2322.png (442x226, 3K)

i cannot wait until skeumorps become popular again

I agree but IMO both ios 6 and 7 calendars are actually skeuomorphic. i mean, it still looks like a real calendar structurally

>implying skumorphism is hard or requires effort
t. never worked in graphic design

Most people don't make the distinction, I still think it's useful to distinguish between skeuomorphic as in simulating real world interfaces and "skeuomorphic" as in calling a clickable element that resembles a button a button. The problem with true skeuomorphic – a term introduced by researchers who created it – was that the metaphor broke down between the interfaces of actually physical objects and the 2d gui representations of them.

I wouldn't say a software calendar is skeuomorphic in the traditional sense since representing days as blocks and arranging them by day-of-the-week is useful metaphor even when separated from a physical calendar. A lot of words were written about the bits of torn paper on Apple's calendar, but it was just decoration, you didn't actually drag virtual pages off of the calendar. You changed months by clicking back and forth buttons. Same as after the design was flattened.

This would be in contrast to iBooks, where you show more text by clicking or touching the virtual page and "turning" it. Or the podcast app which had imitation tape wheels which you could touch and manipulate.

Attached: podcasts-screen-700x525.png (700x525, 347K)

That is not a "Text-only" design. That is an ASCII-only design.

Same with buttons. I don't think adding visual depth to an interactive element and calling it a "button" is necessarily skeuomorphism, since it's not trying to create a virtual simulation of a physical button. Same differences as calling a software workspace a "desktop" and Microsoft Bob or Magicap having representations of physical desktops clickable representations of in-and-out boxes standing in for email.

In ios6 buttons were an element that looked like they popped off the surface, to show that they were interactable. In io7 they removed all of the depth, leaving it as text in a sea of whitespace. Functionally it was the same except you couldn't what was an interactive element and what was just text. In subsequent updates they added a solid color background, as in the op image. Throughout these revisions the element was still functionally the same.

If you want the actual answer, it's phones.

First, they're lighter on system resources. A flat background is easier to render than a more detailed one; with a detailed background, you have to load in a texture, and then have the proper UVs on the polygons it's going to be applied to to prevent it from being distorted. With a flat block color, all you have to do is set the polygons to the color you want to use. This not only saves on processing time, it also saves on storage space, since you don't need to store an entire texture.

Second, it's easier to scale to multiple resolutions. A flat polygon or vector image with a single color will always look fine no matter how much you scale it up or down. The raster images used in more realistic designs scale poorly, ending up heavily pixelated 100% of the time, and realistic vector graphics almost always look like dogshit

Third, and most importantly, they're easier to make out. Phones present a ton of problems when it comes to legibility; they're significantly smaller than a computer monitor, are viewed from inconsistent angles, and are going to be in tons of very different lighting conditions. A flatter interface is simply easier to read under these conditions. Realistic textures might be nice, but they also introduce a lot of visual noise.

The long and short of it is that the style is pragmatic one that resulted from limitations.

Attached: 1546392377923.gif (400x699, 977K)

blame apple for it.. they started this shit trend with ios7, the rest followes soon after

>FOOTFAGS, WHAT DOES PANCAKE BUTTON DO? WHAT DOES SYRUP PANCAKE BUTTON DO?
Damn you, now I have to look up more videos on that topic

i miss holo's default theme and have gone out of my way to use theme modern phones i have to use that look as best i can

Everything is in Spanish but the weather is set to Finland, are you living in Finland?

It actually Microsoft's metro design, which was supposedly inspired by Swiss typography. Even Johnny Fireball and web designers were praising it before Apple finally adopted it.

Why they though Swiss train timetables would good for interface design ("metro" geddit?) is unknown. Web design and graphical interface design are very different no matter how much web designer talk about "web apps"

It was different, so people imitated it until it stopped being different.

I find it really amusing that Jow Forums doesn't know what a trend is.

Thats a good way to describe that. It fits riht in with all those "Download Adobe Macromedia" banners.

That actually looks pretty nice
Is this a distro?

It's the old SunView interface for Sun OS (pre Solaris)