Do you trust your Linux distro? Do you think the maintainers provide security and stability...

Do you trust your Linux distro? Do you think the maintainers provide security and stability? Do you think they audit code? I doubt most of them test anything, as long as it compiles.

Attached: obsolete.png (616x260, 17K)

Sometimes maintainers break stuff on purpose!

Attached: deb-cdrtools.png (877x804, 577K)

Sometimes maintainers accidentally your cryptography for 2 years.

Attached: deb-openssh.png (932x302, 42K)

Sometimes software from the repo doesn't work, but compiling the same source yourself is fine. Many such cases!

Attached: broken_ass_debian_packages.png (964x580, 3K)

"If it compiles, good. If it runs, excellent."

Don't use debian and you won't have these problems.

Sounds like Debian problems then.

As a Debian user, I'm concerned by some of these things. But all things considered, I trust them more than some other distros - especially distros that just pass whatever upstream does straight on through.

I also rather like the Debian "it doesn't change" definition of stability, since it means that if Debian does break something, I can work around it and then not think about it until the next release, instead of possibly having to keep changing things every week.

>especially distros that just pass whatever upstream does straight on through
Those are literally the most trustworthy distros though. I trust what the actual devs are doing over some fags that just maintain packages.

I use Ubuntu, and as a business, Canonical have to make sure their product is inside-out functional. It's one thing for a community to build a buggy unreliable OS; it's another thing for a company to release a buggy unreliable OS (in the current year)

this is why i use BSDs

super easy to see what the maintainer does

Seeing how Gentoo is the base for Google's Chrome Os and yes I trust them perfectly. It is in Googles best interest to ensure Gentoo working fine.

Any other distro(especially Arch and Void) are memes.

Welp. when you're right you're right. was about to install devuan after what 6 years not using Debian. fuck that noise. I'm looking at SUSE or just putting that on work laptop and freebsd on mine. Though, container os and fedora I need to look at

This. Debian is the base for Tails, and the Tor project states that debian’s tor package with backported security updates is trustworthy.

or, you could just, you know, install gentoo.

If this is true, why didn't he sue that faggot? Copyright law still applies to free software

WTF? Communication protocols are free of copyright/patents. It's explicitly so to avoid compatibility issues and allow support as a third party. Does this not fall under the same?

>freebsd
*hugs*

Debian relies on people running testing or unstable and reporting bugs back.
If you want to help out, feel free to do that and report stuff such as But I know you won't OP because you made this thread just to trash talk Debian.

>Do you trust your Linux distro?
I don't trust anyone
>Do you think the maintainers provide security and stability?
They try I'd say
>Do you think they audit code? I doubt most of them test anything, as long as it compiles.
Maybe.

OpenSUSE.

and that is why I use gentoo and compile everything myself

...in the background while I'm doing something else and blindly assume that whatever just compiled is stable and secure

I remember this one well and I am still not at all convinced it was no random "accident". I don't know that it wasn't, but it was really odd. The "reasoning" for the Debian-specific patch made absolutely no sense at the time. It was really bad regardless of it being incompetence or intentional.

In the very real OpenSSL disaster the problem was that Debian decided to screw around with an upstream package in a way that totally broke it's security. I was using Gentoo at the time and I didn't have that problem. Gentoo trusts upstream pretty blindly but the distro itself has those very readable ebuild files. You can very easily see what, if anything, installing a package on Gentoo does in terms of patching, configuration files and so on.

Attached: intel-me-backdoors.png (1920x1080, 1.87M)