Productive WM/DE thread

Let's discuss unix-like GUIs without shitflinging. Show off your enviornment, no le anime girl with neofetch open shit though.
I'll start with my comfy dwm setup.
Textbooks/articles/whatever in assorted tags that I call over (no I don't have to hunt for shit, I have a dmenu script that lists out open windows and switches to the tag/focuses them mapped to alt+w). ctrl +alt +number merges the tags and alt tab gives me the big view if I need to see a diagram.
latex compilation is mapped to f3 and zathura automagically updates, ranger automatically opens shit with zathura + tabbed so I can have less windows open.
Calcurse is based, my conky cats out the to-do list so it's always on my desktop.
latex is shit but I'm stuck with it, and yes I color my pages so my eyes don't die.
When I need to insert images based ranger lets me easily yank the filename to primary.
when I'm docked to my monitor in my room alt + brackets moves from screen to screen and focuses on the last window, making it super easy to use 2 tags at the same time without a mouse.

not pictured is my 5 dmenu scripts and my scratch pad st which is called with alt+ -, usually it's running ncmpcc or vim for quick notes.
this setup installs itself with my scripts. I've tried it on
>arch (pictured)
>artix
>void
>devuan
>gentoo
>openbsd (kinda, I need to figure out how to use sndio with my usb DAC, need to convert my .xinitrc to whatever xenodm used because they got rid of xinit for some reason etc.)

You can kinda have the same thing with i3 but it's messy and i3 fucking sucks at multi-monitor. Also once you start using tags you can't go back to regular desktops.
And yes I have gaps, cron randomly changes my wallpaper every 10 minutes and the splash of color is nice.

Attached: 2019-01-27-1548627373.png (1366x768, 402K)

Are you the same autismo vim user who made that useless script to try to automate latex but just got blown out in his own thread

yeah I was totally btfo by a retard that didn't understand what a macro was, he actually thought I was copy pasting lmao.
how will I EVER recover from the based nanofags

Attached: vim-2019-01-23_19.09.22.webm (616x606, 197K)

How the fuck do you do this?
>tfw I actually copy paste from a template or just use gummi

>30/5740
why

nobody who actually does work uses a tiling wm

What do they use?

Do you know where you are?

I have a shit ton more images in folders too, plus like 3 gigs worth of wallpapers.
I've been keeping the same "Pictures" folder since 2013ish is why.

Windows

>i3 fucking sucks at multi-monitor

yeah, can't believe i used it over dwm for a year, switch to dwm recently and works with multi monitor better out of the box

There is nothing productive about your faggot's dm ricing

>image browser
>a fucking calendar
who the fuck has that many completely unrelated windows opened at the same time. you spend 10 minutes trying to think of stuff to put in your workspace so you can take a picture of it and show it to other retards on the internet just so you could feel like less of a failure to your family. just use the default wm like every other functioning human being you sad sacks of shit

fuck you sage

having 9+9 tags is fucking amazing. It's so simple in execution too, it literally just makes a new screen. dwm is life changing when you get to know how to use it, especially tag sharing.
lmao stop projecting user. Also read the damn post. Calcurse outputs to literal plain text files, which is nice for piping in and out. When you're a big boy like me you'll have things to do every day and it's nice to automate shit.
ranger is not just an image browser. it lets me take a screenshot and insert it into a latex document in seconds.
absolutely seething. tidy up your soul user

Attached: 1548482061329.jpg (2186x2892, 443K)

Emacs.

Attached: latex.png (1920x1078, 348K)

EXWM is based and part of the holy trinity
>dwm
>EXWM
>WMaker/FVWM2

Attached: bestdesktop.png (1920x1080, 1.01M)

based, but why evince over pdftools?

It's not my screenshot. I use pdf-tools for auctex and mupdf for reading.

why not zathura for index support?

>tag sharing

what cool stuff can you do with it?

can I get the colors on the left?

simple example
watch the bar

Attached: dwmtags.webm (854x480, 1.15M)

Any chance you can post those dmenu scripts? I've been incorporating it more into my workflow recently so some inspiration would be nice.

Dude that script is so slow it might as well be copy paste

it's a 10fps webm, also I was being slow to show the leader key.
I ended up writing all of them on my own but the dmenu page on the arch wiki has a link to a github with some decent stuff.
xdotool is your friend for window swtiching and shit

speak for yourself, mate

I do hope someday I will have time to achieve your level, senpai

I use i3 (no gaps) in Trisquel. Emacs is my text editor and I pretty much never had a problem with anything. Extremely productive since migrated to i3.
Not posting print.

personally I use stumpwm
exwm is good, but freezing the wm every time emacs froze wasn't great

Attached: 1548544223363.gif (600x600, 910K)

To be honest every screenshot of Ratpoison looks plain and simple so it won't make justice to this wm. But that is alright, is not for ricing, is for work. As lightweight as DWM, but with more features. And is sooooo easy to configure, hands down the easiest to script.

Attached: ratpoison.png (180x197, 38K)

Get windowmaker. Ditch all meme options like GNome, KDE, or le epic haxor i3

Hey user, what's that calendar program on the bottom right?

as opposed to the top left?

calcurse

Well unless that calendar is a vim add-on then yes

>Hi, Vim user here. Today I'll show you how I made a shittier Emacs with more bloat!

Thanks

calcurse

Here I am rocking BSPWM and not giving a shit...simple AF

>5740 unclassified pictures
>Games folder
>lame empty calendar
>seeks attention on 4chins
yep sure looks like you get aton of work done kiddo, kys

Why does literally every faggot who uses dwm use terminus as bar font?
Not that I'm complaining, I use it myself.

i got bored of my other one

Attached: 2018-12-30-1546218137.png (1366x768, 672K)

Are you using some specific patch for st to display images? On a vanilla, unpatched st images seem to disappear after an instant using w3m hacks, while they display properly in urxvt.

Attached: how to tell if someone isn't productive at all.png (1412x1158, 120K)

none of that applies to me

Vim macros. Or snippets.

>5740 unclassified pictures
I rip wg and w so I have a shitload of wallpapers. It's sorted decently well and everything is timestamped.
>he doesn't have a massive local repository of wallpapers to choose randomly from.

Attached: random-2019-01-28_06.11.26.webm (854x480, 2.48M)

>everything is timestamped.
Of course it is, everyone's Jow Forums image collections are. You'd have to be a special kind of retard to have image rips from sites with unix timestamp filenames not timestamped.

you're just mad because I have a lot pictures and you dont

That made me curious how much I do have, so I looked up the 3 biggest folders:
>37,735 Files, 685 Folders
>25,865 Files, 135 Folders
>41,261 Files, 591 Folders
Well, shit. That's a lot.

bretty good
hope you have it all backed up

Yeah. Almost lost it all a few months back, but I could restore it. Learned my lesson.

what happened user

HDD shit the bed (after ~10 years), no recovery tools could even recognize it. Tried the standards on linux live cd etc to no avail.
Finally tried "HDD regenerator" demo and it did actually work. so I caved in, bought the license and had my files an hour later (copied on another replacement hdd I bought). bought another hdd for backup right away.

>I rip wg and w so I have a shitload of wallpapers
would you mind sharing a dump?

i have a bash function to open 9 instances of mpv tiled in a grid to replicate my bspwm ``workflow"

Attached: one-of-these-is-not-like-the-others.png (1600x900, 1.73M)

But isn't storing them pointless if you can't really access any specific one? You've got like 5 thousands images with names like 1548575289574.jpg.

I like AmiWM. One of the features I like is that window and keyboard focus follows to wherever the cursor hovers. It does everything I need it to while being lightweight and easy to use. Tiling shit is a pain in the dick and I want title bars and buttons that I can click and use the mouse with. I use NEdit, Worker, XTerm with mksh, XClock, feh, and NetSurf as my main set of applications here. This setup is FAST, even on an ARM board like a Raspberry Pi.

WindowMaker is nice but all the applications and documents are so fragmented and all over the place that I've never been able to reproduce a desktop as nice as yours with it.

Attached: 20190107165109_1280x1024_scrot.png (1280x1024, 114K)

is dwm actually that much better than i3? I've been having issues with i3 and want to give something else a go

What's the problem with i3 and multi-monitor? You mean the fact that each workspace is associated with a display and you have to explicitly move it to another monitor to display it there?

Tags make workspaces completely obsolete

dwm is definitely more autistic, requiring editing a header and applying patches for basic configuration, and the developer's attitude understandably puts some people off, but the core feature, that is, the way it arranges windows automatically, is imho superior to i3. That alone makes it overall better.
i3 is nice and all, but I often find myself resizing and moving windows around, when this is pretty much never necessary with dwm. It just feels smoother and more natural to work with it compared to something like i3.
I haven't tired other wms besides these two, but overall, I prefer dwm.
Plus, by now it's a mature and stable project, not to mention that many tiling window managers in use today are derived from it.

running dwm from Windows10 is comfy user

Attached: vcxsrv_2019-01-28_20-55-38.png (2560x1440, 110K)

how can you stand all those random icons on the lower right. hide that shit

can you share that script desu?

No reason for ricing if you do actual work

I use pretty much default bspwm with rofi.
Conky when I need time and general PC status.
2 monitors, 4 desktops each.

Best setup I've had.

rofi is fucking shit.

>rofi is fucking shit.
It looks way better than dmenu, is just as fast and is better in some regards.

What don't you like about it?

half the modes are useless like ssh, and the other modes are better done with your own dmenu scripts.

>half the modes are useless like ssh
That is true.
I use it in run/dmenu replacement mode.

Guess I just hate how dmenu looks.
(Conky is only shown when I need it and is above all other windows)

Attached: 2019-01-28-19:14:13-screenshot.png (2560x1440, 234K)

Cwm is the chad wm.
Btw I don't reall like lout syntax and how it write math. Too bad because I can't stand latex bloatness. I recently start using groff_me but while it produce bettere technical documents than ms, it's more complex

dmenu also has a vertical mode

>dmenu also has a vertical mode
How does it look?
Last time I checked, I couldn't make it look similar to what I have now.

Attached: dwm-2019-01-07_23.54.26.webm (854x480, 2.53M)

>Full width
>One column
>No gap
Thanks for the demo, but that's no good.
Probably has gimped color modification options too.

columns? Don't tell me you dont just type out a bit of what you're selecting.
That's the whole point of this.

>Don't tell me you dont just type out a bit of what you're selecting.
Most of the time I select the first or second entry (based on usage frequency) using keyboard.
I type when that's not the case.

That said, I find that columns look better, considering the length of programs' names.
If dmenu allowed for customisation at least similar to rofi, I'd gladly switch.

>tiling wm means unproductive
??????????

theres dmenu2.
dmenu is something i look at for like 2 seconds at most, I don't really care as long as it works

Is framebuffer not used in linux anymore?
Seeing how X is bloat and all.

>dmenu is something i look at for like 2 seconds at most,
Same for me, but I do want it to look nice.
Luckily, rofi does everything dmenu does, while looking pleasantly.
Fortunately, you can launch it exclusively in drun/dmenu mode if you don't need everything extra.

there's nothing to discuss

xorg
i3
awesome
xfce

wayland
sway
enlightenment
gnome

herbstluftwm for me.
im using cmus, ranger/vim, and sxiv.

Attached: scrot_2019-01-28-15_1366x768.png (1366x768, 258K)