Newfag to Linux here

Newfag to Linux here.
I've always wanted to switch but never got to it. I'm switching from Windows 10. Any suggestions on a speific distro? Right now I'm looking at either Ubuntu or Mint. Also, anyone know a specific way or having it, should I dual boot, live usb, or just go all the way and install it directly.

Attached: todd.jpg (1920x1080, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mxlinux.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Both are good imo. But for the love of god Dual Boot before you completely switch. You may find a need for Windows gayming or some random program, or when Linux applications act stupid as fuck.

Gentoo is the easiest to install and maintain
Doesn't deserve trips

What would you say is better for a slower computer?

wow thanks my Jow Forumsay looks like im a XxX_hAcKeRmAn_XxX_64 now

whos laughin now

Gentoo?
For a newfag?

Attached: 53234410(1).jpg (396x478, 111K)

Better idea:
Get dedicated second computer, and play with distributions on that.

You're welcome.

Don't do it user. There's no good software on Linux. Computers should make your life easier not harder.

mint
It's easy enough for a newbie. Distro hop later when you're more experienced.

use nixOS

Attached: 1536375667484.png (518x421, 308K)

Use live disks/virtual machines for both Ubuntu and Mint, see which you like more. Both are good distros, but I would recommend Ubuntu over Mint.

Both distros have lighter-weight versions, this really isn't an issue.

Lubuntu or unironically void lxqt.
The former will just werk.
The latter will learn you somethin' AND just werk.

This is how I do it. Used computers can be found for cheap and you're very unlikely to have driver issues with older hardware. A standalone Linux system can be used as a simple home server for hosting a printer, file storage, torrent seeding, whatever you want, these are all things that the Windows system can take advantage of.

What are your goals? If you just want to a daily desktop environment that's not Windows, install Mint or an Ubuntu variant (I wouldn't recommend stock Ubuntu as the Unity DE is absolute garbage, but Xubuntu or Kubuntu should have a more familiar UI and are also officially supported). If you want to learn more about operating systems and Linux itself, but are OK with having your system be down a lot as you try to figure things out, try Gentoo, Arch, or Linux from Scratch. I could go on but the bottom line is, find the right distro for you. Distrowatch.com is a good place to browse through reviews of available distros if you're looking for more suggestions.

Also, is right, dual boot if you're doing this on your daily machine.

It depends on what you're running now and what you want out of a computer. Reading this thread, I would recommend Mint MATE or Mint Xfce.

Ubuntu don't use Unity any more

Pic related
>poo ez graphical install, as ez a *buntu's
>its own rolling release repository
>stable Debian base
>no system doing (this one's important)
Only downside is all of the pre-installed packages, but that's easily remedied.

I'm a simple man. I recommend PCLinuxOS for the newbs, and Gentoo for the seasoned. Distros in between them are memes to me

Attached: 1e041d2e.png (200x200, 14K)

As I always say with anyone new to Linux, start with Ubuntu. Test it out with a live USB disk, and if you like it enough, dual boot it with Windows. If you end up using it regularly and don't need any Windows-exclusive programs, wipe the drive and install Ubuntu from that live USB you have.

Fuck, you're right, I forgot they're back on GNOME now. I think in my mind I put GNOME 3 in the same category since it had mixed reviews at the time, but I've heard it's gotten better. I stick to XFCE myself.

Any kind of programming, with the exception of proprietary garbage languages, is easier on Linux than on Windows

>tfw you really enjoy programming in Swift but refuse to sell your anal virginity to Apple

Attached: _20190128_011523.jpg (637x345, 27K)

mxlinux.org/ for news. Is more easy to understand that Ubuntu and Mint. Use XFCE.

Im pretty new myself a year or so. Idk about mint but ubuntu was a nice transition. Tho i hate gnome. All i can say is learn bash and the terminal....ill never go back to shitblows now that i have this much xo trol over my computer

not debian based you retard

Consider Fedora in your list of beginner distros. Ubuntu has a lot of out of date packages. For example, Ubuntu still ships Eclipse 3.8... from 2012. Fedora has the latest build of Eclipse, even on ARM. Eclipse doesn't even ship ARM builds, but Fedora does.

Manjaro

xubuntu lts
/thread