Calculator thread

calculators are technology

are you a based and redpilled RPL user or a cringe and bluepilled TI infix crap user?

Attached: file.png (479x879, 386K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation#Postfix_evaluation_algorithm
hansklav.home.xs4all.nl/rpn/
youtube.com/watch?v=lUe0W1fvQIg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mixed_division_and_multiplication
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 1492641899925.webm (1280x720, 991K)

Why the fuck are programmable calculators so expensive in first place

Variety of reasons, some good, some bad.

Basically they're specialty hardware, and like all specialty hardware they cost money.

Sure, someone could make an android phone, lock it down to run something like Maple or Octave, not put a network chip in it, and make hotcakes, but the entrenched players dont want to, and the amount of capital needed to get something actually available, and not banned by the testing bureaus, is very high

do you guys own ti-92 and is it good for anything

its from the year 1992 but it still beats a common calculator in any task

Attached: 92P-2.gif (500x290, 84K)

Attached: sneakyTI.jpg (1370x1600, 397K)

greatest calculator of all time

Attached: grorious_hp15c.jpg (400x400, 23K)

I have a 92, 92 II, a 92+, and a Voyage 200

They're no better than the 89, just easier to input shit on. The HP50g is a far better calculator in almost all applicable regards

>easier to input the calculations

so it is in fact the best calculator in terms of usability? or is its processing power too limited or are there this kind of drawbacks?

you can still pick these up on ebay for about $20

or you can buy one of the swissmicros ones for like $400

that said, I dislike only having 66 registers. Sure its better than 4, but its still less than the 16 which could do up to 203

NNNEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRDDD

Well, if you're not a schoolcuck its pretty good. Banned on all major tests due to being a "computer" instead of a calculator, due to the QWERTY.

But its got no better hardware than an 89 Titanium, and, depending on the model, may have a slower CPU

Best calculator in terms of sheer usability is again the 50g, or barring that a HP Prime. RPN input beats the everloving shit out of infix. But if you like textbook style stuff, I'd recommend an NSpire CAS. It has textbook input (Like HP's equation editor) as well as output. 89 series only has textbook input

The thing is that they are so expensive they encroach on netbook territory, as a HP Prime is around 250$+, and it's far, far weaker and more limited.

I saw a HP Prime on ebay for $115 the other day.

If you're in a situation where you could use a netbook over a calc, I'd say just run Julia or Octave or Matlab on your desktop.

I like my HP because it runs forever and is always right there at my desk, regardless of what the computer is doing

you could make a phone app that does everything a calculator can do in a few days

The other day my professor kept on alluding about Polish calculators. I was expecting a Polish joke but it it’s just a type of calculator notation.

Attached: 53E279A9-C1E1-4F72-9CEA-8A35F899AB7B.jpg (300x225, 23K)

Wouldn't satisfy the test bureaus. They don't want anything with a usable network connection in the test room

Aren't modern calcs basically emulated old hardware on ARM chips? There already are official desktop emulators for calcs, but porting to phones is off limits. I guess it would bankrupt their business.
Use a Faraday cage

Casio fx-82MS . Using it for 9 years.

Attached: IMG_20190128_115243.jpg (2448x3264, 849K)

No, there's plenty of android apps that emulate old HP calcs, HP even sells official emulators of it's HP prime and 12C as android apps.

so a Texas instrument and a Polish calculator walk into a bar...

I had one
It was fucking heavy
I think somebody stole it though
Just shows how much I used and cared for it
Its a neat pony that can solve algebriac polynomials for variables, but thats about the only thing special it did compared to a new TI89

Cheater tier here.

Attached: tinsp.jpg (640x480, 19K)

theres a pretty good app in the apple store that is modeled after the hp 31s layout. It's quite good, it's my go to calculator, but for classroom i'd say the hp prime is a good bet.

Reverse Polish Notation is a postfix way of writing formulae.

Instead of doing 1 + 2, you'd do 1 2 +. Seems stupid, but there's a reason for it

RPN calculators implement a stack. You push 1 and 2 onto the stack, and then the + operator is binary, and pops two items off the stack, computes their sum, and pushes the result back onto the stack.

It may seem like an implementation detail, but it is important

Whats the answer to this:
6÷2(1+2)

You'll get 1 or 9, depending on if you were taught PEDMAS or PEMDAS. This is a problem because PEMDAS doesn't encode order-of-operations equality.

P E MD AS. Parenthesis are first, then exponents, then EITHER Multiplication or Division, then EITHER Addition or Subtraction. They have equal precedence.

RPN (and FPN, prefix notation) solve this issue neatly.

6 2 1 2 + * ÷ will ALWAYS equal 1
6 2 ÷ 1 2 + * will ALWAYS equal 9

No ambiguity.

FPN, or forward polish notation, is a bit different, as it varies by implementation. Many implementations treat basic operations as variadic, meaning you can do + 1 2 3 4 and get 10. As such, you need parens

Its a pretty onerous ask to make highschools build one classroom as a faraday cage

89 and 92 ran the same ROMs

>you can still pick these up on ebay for about $20
You're thinking of the 12C. The Swiss Micros DM15 is $135 new, cheaper than a used 15C.

instead high schools make you buy an expensive obsolete piece of hardware

maybe he mistook 89 for the earlier 8x models which are un-symbolic calcs

89s are probably the most common symbolic calc even to this day, mostly due to the difficulty in finding an NSpire CAS (CX or otherwise) in your average best buy/office store

Attached: calculator 3.jpg (2656x759, 514K)

48GX masterrace reports in.

Attached: IMG_20190128_095701.jpg (4000x3000, 943K)

Casio fx-82c. Have it since ages, still works only changed batteries and cleaned it out of dust.
Pic related ain't mine specifically, my plastic cover broke a long time ago.

Attached: CasioFX82C-1.jpg (1347x2400, 515K)

Comes with a shit like this, that's what's broke.

Attached: CasioFX82C-6.jpg (1521x2397, 316K)

Because forced by universities.

Look into Chinese graphic calculators.

>$20 calculator
>God-tier
Is it really that good? Asking honestly.

Of course not, it's just a Casio

For what it costs is better than most Ti84 crap. Doesn't have a plotter, but its got other great things, like a spreadsheet matrix editor and some other things

Like most meme images on Jow Forums, it starts with some accuracy and then corrupts itself into shit.

Accurate parts:
>matlab is obscenely powerful
>hp50g is a fucking awesome computer but you have to actually be smart to use it
> casio graphing calculators have lots of nice features but are about as common as hens teeth
> the Ti84 is really damn bad for what it costs

uh, it's equal priority but always left to right whether you want to write it Pedmas/pemdas. Anyone who thinks they can choose the order of operations at equal precedence is doing math wrong. You cant pick and choose which one you want to do first.

Fair enough, but thats not commonly taught in schools, hence the whole 1 or 9 debate.

RPN is still superior, as there's no ambiguity

What custom programs do you use to cheat? the only thing i use this calculator for is to occasionally graph shit and play vidya

based

Not the first guy, but this is exactly what I was taught in school though. Equal precedence resolves from left to right. German school.

Every calculator that has no backlit display is trash.
Prove me wrong. (Protip: You can't.)

Its more cheater-tier because it has an algebraic solver built in, compared to the cheaper Nspire models

Matlab is a better calculator

>Calculator that takes time to boot

Idiot.

Fugg, guess buying the non case model was a waste. I guess vidya is still nice

You made the claim, back it up. Why are you doing so much math in the dark?

But is
6÷2(1+2)
now
6 2 1 2 + * ÷
or
6 2 ÷ 1 2 + * in regular polish notation? Your post is a bit confusing when it comes to that. Because both are RPN, right? Or was the first one meant to be RPN and the second one FPN? I thought + 1 2 3 4 was FPN.

reverse polish notation* lol

>Whats the answer to this:
>6÷2(1+2)

6 ÷ 2 * ( 1 + 2 )
6 2 ÷ 1 2 + * solve 6 2 ÷ = 3
3 1 2 + * solve 3 1 2 + = 6
What next? 6 *? That doesn't work. 6 times what? 1? That's 6 and therefore not 1 or 9 like you said it is. It is RPN with the Postfix evaluation algorithm from the wikipedia page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation#Postfix_evaluation_algorithm .

They're both RPN, but those are different functions

6 2 1 2 + * ÷ = 6÷(2(1 + 2))

6 2 ÷ 1 2 + * = (6 ÷ 2) * (1 + 2)

FPN, or prefix-notation, as its more commonly known, is fairly rare in normal mathematics. Its most common in programming languages, where its fairly standard.

func(foo, bar) is prefix-notation; the operation func is passed the arguments foo and bar.

There are RPN programming languages, like Forth and Factor, in one of those it could look like this: bar foo func or foo bar func, depending on how the function deals with the order of items it pops off the stack

You forgot to push the result of the 1 + 2 back on the stack.

In most implementations of RPN, + is binary, not variadic, so it only pops two registers, not all of them

Oh I seem to understand, you only work with 2 operands, I thought it could be more than that. It should be the following, right?
6 ÷ 2 * ( 1 + 2 )
6 2 ÷ 1 2 + * solve 6 2 ÷ = 3
3 1 2 + * solve 1 2 + = 3
3 3 * solve 3 3 * = 9

What a great day. Thanks user, you've teached me RPN.

Attached: 1541546961600.jpg (480x262, 21K)

It's $20 calculator + (pirated) Matlab = God Tier

For quick small and simple things, you don't need more than a FX991ex. For complicated stuff (large matrices/systems, visualization, numerical programming, etc) then Matlab is way better than any graphing calculator.

Attached: casio-fx-991ex.png (1550x1900, 755K)

Damned code tags

There's a really good tutorial by some dutch dude

hansklav.home.xs4all.nl/rpn/

You can find a HP emulator, or one of a dozen other RPN capable calcs out there, and play around with it.

Or you can mess with befunge, which is sort of a visual language that uses RPN

If we had latex like sci does, I could just show you the results in proper fractions and shit

0/10

>> casio graphing calculators have lots of nice features but are about as common as hens teeth
Casio's are the Gold Standard outside of burgerland while TI is unheard of in the calculator space.

youtube.com/watch?v=lUe0W1fvQIg

>0/10
If it can't into RPN then it's trash

Because you need to be an autist with nostalgia problems to want one in 2019

RPL (of course) and PostScript are a few more languages that use it. There's also dc, the original bc, which is RPN and Turing complete

Thank you. I've bookmarked it.
Thank you anyway, much appreciated!

Attached: Casio gets it wrong.png (957x555, 620K)

Never needed it

/ 0 10

Also Lotus 1-2-3 and BibTeX are RPN

Implicit multiplication, physicists, etc

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Mixed_division_and_multiplication

Depends on if you read it right to left or rank multiplication higher than division in OOO

I have TI cx cas. I cheat by using the software to upload photos of notes otherwise not allowed in class during assessments.

Did the same with my HP50g. Also abused the fuck out of the step-solver to "show your work"

MAH NIGGA
Playing pokemon fire red after taking the ACT was wonderful

it boggles my mind that people are still spending loads of cash on these when wolfram alpha and other services and apps exist

that's audiophile level crazy

Attached: ЭЛЛЕКТРОНИКА_МК161.jpg (700x525, 52K)

Why even bother with Matlab when GNU Octave works really good. There's virtually zero reason to use Matlab over Octave nowadays.

You can't bring your laptop and phone to an exam
When you attend school you will see

>GNU
No.

I still have that TI-83+ from university days. Back then smartphones were just becoming a thing, so there were no alternatives.

But nowadays this is really stupid. Many professors at my uni do something that's called "Kofferklausur" in German, literally meaning "suitcase exam". The idea is that student can use whatever they want other than actively communicating with each other or other people. During my days that meant mainly to take all kinds of notes and textbooks with you but I know that laptops are now allowed as well - though I'm not sure if they are allowed to access the internet or not.

These were the hardest exams of my life and also the only ones that actually had to do anything with what I have to do in my line of work now.
Limiting ressources and creating situations that are artificially distinct from real life is stupid

Nice argument right there. Though I meant to say "why even bother with PIRATED matlab(...)".
Sure if you do it for a living then perhaps your employers or coworkers expect you to use Matlab, but for your own stuff it's better to just use Octave. Also it's compatible enough with Matlab that you can write scripts that work on both.

Funny thing is it was right next to an 83+ for $7

Attached: ti89ti.jpg (1000x1000, 223K)

>tfw finish exam in 30 minutes and used the rest of my time to play fucking pokemon
In hindsight it's so damn easy to cheap with these

I am a huge brainlet on math and basically I just wanna get the fuck out of college but I just can’t unless I pass Linear Programming 1 & 2 and Differential Equations 1 & 2.
So far my best bet is looking like the TI nspire CAS with jailbreak on it. Or is there a newer calculator that does the exam for you now?

Attached: 6534C867-2F62-4B5B-89C2-93EAA8346D38.jpg (1745x1067, 199K)

What's with the keys on those? Looks super uncomfortable for typing.

Older model had normal keys.

Fuck man, I used to bring my 12C to high school every day, after my dad who worked in finance upgraded, he gave me his 12C.
I still remember the day I took it out of my bag just fo find that the screen had smashed somehow...

Attached: :(.jpg (970x545, 50K)

>mfw got complimented by my astronomy professor for using RPN Hewlett Packard calculator

Attached: 22154383_212799692591179_7067396045115408106_n.jpg (610x610, 34K)

Any coupons to bring this chink hp12c copy price down?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-28-13-28-45-294_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.png (1080x1920, 755K)

You can get a legitimate 12C for less than that. It loos a hell of a lot better too

a challenger appears

Attached: LD0001317688_2.jpg (1600x1600, 313K)

>big screen == good
no

it's a touchscreen, moron
I'm sure you don't even know how to use it

Attached: b90.png (645x729, 91K)

>touchscreen == good

I just use wolfram alpha for quick stuff and either octave or maxima for more complicated stuff (octave is for numbrr crunching and maxima for symbolic calculations)

>tfw i lost my TI-83+ which i used all through high school and engineering undergrad.
Feels really bad man

>tfw did the same and replaced it with a 50g
Feels great, man

simular to thisones

Attached: wantTHIS.jpg (1416x1424, 446K)

Find a flaw

Attached: 81HqOtDrGkL._SY679_.jpg (429x679, 38K)

$3

Attached: JOINUS_JS-83-MS-A.jpg (1001x1001, 101K)