REDDIT IS BULLYING C++ AGAIN

This time they are saying C++ modules are literally DEAD ON ARRIVAL!
How do they keep getting away, bros? These fucking Rust SJWs don't belong on our ethnostate when the day of the rope comes.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-28 C++ Modules Might Be Dead-on-Arrival.png (1742x3520, 572K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ArvidGerstmann/status/1089180405645877248
youtu.be/mCrVYYlFTrA
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_C++
youtu.be/AxnotgLql0k?t=255
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

C++ is bloat, horrendous language.
It's time to write a new C preprocessor that doesn't need headers and supports proper generics, plus give the C language first class array support.

Attached: ark3.png (460x500, 16K)

>cout

Attached: 1.jpg (350x251, 8K)

The "but muh different compiler" is not an argument since you already can't mix C++ code from different compilers. Adding modules to C++ sure sounds challenging, but that picture is just fear mongering.

Modules is the piece of C++20 that I have by far the least amount of confidence in, but at least we're getting Concepts and (at least the groundwork for) Coroutines/Executors.

>-Os doesn't work in C++
>-Ofast doesn't work in C
what did compiler writers meant by this

Modules are a terrible idea anyway

We already got parallel executors in C++17

>ethnostate
cringe
>c++
Oh, that explains it.

Attached: Capture.png (520x422, 157K)

What distro will you run in the C++ ethnostate, Jow Forums?

Attached: slide_2-2.jpg (960x720, 122K)

>pointless recompilation is okay

It would be if C++ template parsing wouldn't be so slow. Hell the time spend on optimizations is minimum.

It's over, Rust won.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-28 18-41-44.png (1172x796, 152K)

Why do you say that -Ofast doesn't work in C?

sounds kinda like Vala. The problem is just ever having this shit become standard. Either you bite the pain of using C++ or the pain of some other less portable language.

>use macros like a moron
>be surprised when they make everything retarded
Also, any decent IDE will take you wherever something is declared with ctrl+click.

it generqtes utterly crappy code, especially on ARMs

This post makes no sense. I think it's time to put Carmack in a retirement home.

why the fuck is *eddit posting allowed now and why isnt anyone *aging this thread

I love how the nigger he responded to chicken'ed out.

People have higher hopes for modules than they should.
It'll be a weak feature like all the rest.
>concepts
I'm with Alexandrescu on this. They're the wrong path to go.

Based

It does in context
twitter.com/ArvidGerstmann/status/1089180405645877248
Basically C++ is too big.
He didn't.

Attached: file.png (1080x1157, 304K)

OP is a faggot. 90% of the point of modules is that you don't have to fuck around with the preprocessor. This is about as retarded as dereferencing a null pointer and being surprised when your program segfaults.

What does Alexandrescu say? I'm not sold on Concepts (I can already SFINAE) but I'm curious what criticisms he has.

He's not that vocal. And what he says is very spread. But I'd summarize it as being antithetical to his idea of design by introspection.
youtu.be/mCrVYYlFTrA
I think this is where he's most explicit about it. Normally he's just akin to Cato the Elders "Carthago delenda est" in his talks. It's a very small part of the talks he makes.
Constantly just claiming himself as displeased, but with implicit reference to older speeches to respect that audiences time.
But he's consistent in bringing it up.
I certainly think DbI is wiser than what concepts suggest.

This dude sounds like yet another one of those programming tourists who is autistically focused on certain language features but doesn't actually know how to build anything useful with them.

Absolutely.
He also thinks people haven't tried to build dialects and asking for dialect support. They get shut down by the committee. The embedded community has been most vocal about this.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embedded_C++
Bjarne has told people he's happy it's dead, to applause from the crowds.

Actually this might be better.
youtu.be/AxnotgLql0k?t=255

>if you do stupid shit like OP’s pic related, stupid shit will happen
Well fuck I never expected that, time to stock up on estradiol and cozy up with The Rust Book

Based

Sure you can. Ever heard of dynamic libraries? What about static libraries?

We've had this thread every day for weeks

Maybe if you're a winfag. On every other platform the Itanium ABI is standard.

C++ has itanium ABI, right?

Even John Carmack is using Rust. I told you all fuckers it was the next thing, but noooo, you think you know better than industry leaders. Never change, Jow Forums.

Yeah. Windows still has broken unstable MSVC mangling but on unix-likes every extant compiler uses Itanium.

This is written from the perspective of a compiler. So if the language supports macros being used by retards, the compiler must be able to handle it. That's one of the main arguments against feature bloat - compilers have to become gigantic behemoths of complexity because you can't say "just don't use it lol".

I don't think anyone on this board will be writing a C++ compiler soon.

>Even John Carmack is using Rust
making one tweet about trying something out doesn't mean he's using it

The implementation of standard library is different between compilers. You can't intermix. Hell, even same versions of gcc are incompatible between each other - code using std::string and gcc 4.8 can't be linked using gcc 5.0.

DAMN you just got fucking ROASTED by

Sure, but that's a library thing rather than a language thing. The libstdc++ doesn't guarantee ABI stability but you can totally write objects that do.

You've obviously never worked on a non-trivial C++ project my dude.

>Windows
not relevant

Just walk away from that code.

Standard library is now not a part of language?

Eh, it's a bit grey. Like I said if you want to make ABI-stable objects you can do so with C++. But there's no way you're getting efficient standard containers with a stable ABI.

The language spec /= the standard library
Theoretically, you could replace the standard library with one that only prints "I love traps"

No, the spec mandates that a particular standard library is there if you're going to run a hosted rather than freestanding implementation.

You can write #define true false and wreck havock through the preprocessor. It doesn't mean that you should.

Actually defining keywords is undefined behavior.

this lol
Its like these people are intentionally stupid.

Maybe we should all tweet him and ask him if he's tried using C++.