Do i need to learn 10 finger typing to be a good programmer

i am not slow, but i really have issues utilizing my pinky fingers

Attached: wondering.png (191x186, 52K)

yes
you won't be able to implement really advanced data structures until you become really fast at typing
they're like guitar solos except on your keyboard

No, not really. Fun fact ,I type slower using my 10 fingers but so so because of rsi

No. Programming is never about how many lines of code you can shit out quickly.
You'll spend far more time thinking and researching than actually writing code.

i type slower when i try 10 fingers too. what is rsi?

>they're like guitar solos except on your keyboard
>mfw good with guitar solos, shit with typing

At least I shred like a boss, you faggots.

Attached: 1547388003800.jpg (191x252, 7K)

How much time do you spend daily on computer? I bet it's at least 5 hours. I think it's pathetic if you can't at least learn to interact faster with something that you spend on that much time everyday. Even if you're not programmer learn to touch type. You just need to spend like 30 mins a day and in a month you will be reaching 60-70wpms.

You just type like 2/3 characters and hit autocomplete

any advice on hwo to learn it? get some trainer programm or just type some text in my preferred editor without looking at the keyboard?

I have autism, I can't type fast at all. It sucks. I'm also bad at math thanks to that though, so I can't into programming anyways.

install tuxtype

I can type somewhat fast (~100wpm) with just using the index finger of my right hand but multiple fingers on my left hand.
If I try to use 10 fingers I easily make mistakes that take me multiple attempts to correct.
Really fucking need to learn it but it just feels like I'm slowing myself down.

thats whats holding me back too. i dont doubt that being good at 10 finger typing, but while i try to learn it i am so much slower than when i go back to my "6 finger style"

>I have autism
>bad at maths
I thought autists were sometimes better than most normalfags with math?

No. I played piano for years before starting programming. My fingers run all over the keyboard, over each other and hardly ever use the pinky unless it is to avoid reusing another finger.

Programming doesn't need any way near as much math as you think, only when you specifically do math related things, like game dev or something.

add100 = ( number ) => number + 100

what is add100(20)?
Well it just takes an input number and returns that input number + 100.

Now you know how to use a function, you can apply it everywhere, to everything, and end up chaining, piping them together and making them call eachother to get results and anything you want. It's really that simple.

>10 finger typing
It's called "touch typing".
>i am not slow, but i really have issues utilizing my pinky fingers
Basically me. I usually type fast, but using only 8 fingers without pinkies and look at keyboard. Recently started using pinkies, but I still make many typos and have to look at keyboard again.
>do i need to learn
Of course. If you type and don't look at the screen, then code completion is basically useless and generally you are more likely to make typos. Also typing in the dark without lamp is a hassle, it's like being handicapped really. Touch typing solves all these problems.
Plus, it is way easier to rewrite stuff from blackboards, other screens, or pictures. You just look at text and type it without looking at your keyboard.

>he didn't play MMOs as a kid
>he can't type 120wpm without ever having tried to type faster

off my board

You're going to be living in an IDE so just learn to autocomplete that shit cause uh it'll most likely be reiterating a lot of redundancy job to job

6+1 god tier reporting in
no

It doesn't matter.
If you need typing speed you're probably a Java programmer and should invest in effective autocompletion.

I've worked with a decent number of older engineers who couldn't touch type, but managed to advance in their career and do good work, so it's not necessary.

They did get made fun of though.

By me.

You don't even need to type with your fingers to be a good programmer

8 finger typing is good, 6 finger typing is sufficient, 10 finger typing is a bother

Honestly I played one of those browser extention typing games for an hour or two which got me familiar with character positions and correct finger placement. After that I just forced myself to type, however slowly in my daily use and slowly I got there. Not that I'm super fast now but it's definitely comfy to touchtype.

Im shit at typing , or at least I do it in a very incorrect manner. For programming it matters much less. You will spend so much time reaching for the shift key and special characters that there is no way to type efficiently.

Good programming is 30% planning, 60% thinking and 10% typing. Maybe even less typing. But regardless, learn Vim. That's going to give you much bigger gains than typing speed.

what's ur wpm

9 finger typing with an über-pinky or w/e the fuck you want as long as you can travel between and the home row at the speed of light.

Attached: 1547118739739.jpg (1352x1200, 159K)

> good programmer
> the bottleneck is in how fast you press keys

Maybe if you make Hello Worlds for a living.

This also 10 finger typing doesn't mean shit for speed. I'm confident in this for programmers especially. I type faster than most people I know and I'm a pecker.
Maybe home row typing is faster for English but most of what I type for programming is symbols, numbers, navigation keys, and hotkeys, not letters or sentences.

I spend the majority of my day pacing back and forth thinking than I do making less than 100 line changes.

worked as a web dev for 4 years not knowing how to and still averaged about 60 wpm so nobody really cared. I brought it up at a christmas party as a joke though and instead of lols everybody just kind of scoffed at me.
So no you don't have to but people look at you weird. It's not that hard though so I suggest just playing type racer for 2 weeks and youll be set.

> hurr durr programming needs no maths
> add100
Good luck coding recursive graph based dynamic programming problems

Attached: shutup.jpg (495x450, 60K)

Why learn to type fast when everything runs laggy or bloated?

Attached: 1524747380256.jpg (810x780, 70K)

>Most students with AS and HFA have average mathematical ability and test slightly worse in mathematics than in general intelligence

i type 120 with 4 fingers

ctrl+C and ctrl+V
2 fingers is enought

Attached: CPM_CLUB12.png (1066x554, 36K)

RSI is when you jack off 18 times a day every day for 10 years, and so your wrist tells you you need a break.

kek

Attached: 4chan_4.jpg (675x450, 32K)

No but you need to stop shitposting