Can we stop pretending Linux is a good OS

It is shit and will probably stay shit.

Why the fuck do you need 16 distros and a need for more when the existing ones are bugged out and require time and energy to set up.

Also, nothing fucking works. There is always something wrong with it.

Attached: IMG-20190124-WA0013.jpg (500x376, 21K)

Get debian if you want stability, fag.

It's the best one there is. I have to use Windows at work and it's like a mini holiday to get home and use Linux instead. I don't even want to touch Windows in my free time.

What do you mean?
For Desktop? For Servers? For Fones?
For desktops, yes.
For servers, no.
For fones, maybe.

>Why the fuck do you need 16 distros
You don't, install one of them and be happy.

I've been using Linux for years and it works just fine with a minimal or comparable amount of software bugs (not a distro issue retard) to Windows. Many other people on the site have as well.

>Require time and energy to setup
So you're a lazy brainlet who wants everything spoonfeed to them, got it.

stay mad you have a tiny brain, OP

sneed

Linux for servers is golden.

Linux for basic computing is good. Web browsing, writing documents, watching videos, email, basically normie stuff all works.

Only when you need to ingest sound or video and edit them, or game, should you go for WIndows.

Not even, found ubuntu to be more stable

True, windows is worse in many areas, however stability is not one of them

Desktops

> (OP) (You)
>I've been using Linux for years and it works just fine with a minimal or comparable amount of software bugs (not a distro issue retard) to Windows. Many other people on the site have as well.
I am really glad for you

>So you're a lazy brainlet who wants everything spoonfeed to them, got it.
>Spoonfeed
Not having to read through tons of documentation just to set up an android emulator is a great start(most recent example)

Linux is a kernel.

True, strongly agree.

GNU/Linux works just fine for audio and video editing, Ardour is easily comparable to some.of the better DAWs out there, and even has video timeline capabilities. GIMP and plugins handle most of the shit you can do with Photoshop, Krita is used by professional artists on a regular basis. The only thing Windows is actually good for is gaming, and even that is starting to change.

Attached: 1538090812980.png (625x626, 111K)

Pull that gnu dildo out your arse, then we can talk.

You probably could have just looked up a step by step guide on setting up your emulator instead of reading the actual documentation. You are clearly a brainlet.

sneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

Doesn't matter. You use Linux every day whether you want to or not. You think all those servers that are necessary to bring a page to you are running on Windows?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm here to say the actual literal factual exact opposite.

We need to autoban the discussion of linux for a few days, Jow Forums. Not forever, just for a few days, until the over zealous Linux users realize that they are only 1% of that market and it is NOT fair that 1% of the market gets half the threads and discussion here. This isn't representative of the populace and is NOT FUCKING FAIR. I come here to discuss technology, particularly computers. Why is such a small minority in this arena practically owning the fucking board?

I do use Windows, and while I have apple, at least the Macfags and the threads here are representative of population and market of OSX users. Unlike the tiny Linux using minority here that seems to make at least 3 threads a piece, because I know there is not that fucking many linux users.

STOP SHITTING UP THE BOARD WITH SUB PAR SHIT

Not bait, just wanna see what everyone here thinks.

XD based you posted it again

I don't need 16 distros. I need one, but my needs are the same as every other person in the world. Thus, people have created different distros for different users.

>Nothing works
Peak user error my dude

Linux is for programming and servers. Also free software fags use it because they don't like m$ or crapple.

It's not a home OS for dumb normies that don't actually understand computers at all.

>and it is NOT fair that 1% of the market gets half the threads
That's funny, do you think there's a committee that allocates threads for different subjects?

hmmm.....strange post user.
I got into linux pretty easily a few years back with mint iirc, its not hard to learn....theres man pages for everything, its a computer....it only does what its told to do.
I've ran 5-6 distros....mint fedora, debian, kali, ubuntu, archlinux....and they all worked fine.
they have chatrooms on IRC that can help you if you are having issues m8
linux is the best OS for running servers

I use fedora without any problems. Just absolutely hate snapstore and that sort of crap.

but user, fedora shills flatpak hard

A larger portion of the Jow Forums audience uses Linux, not Windows. If it were filled with Windows threads it would actually be a misrepresentation of the board. You are the outliers, not us.

16 distros? Wat. I basically just used Gentoo for the last >13 years. And recently Fedora on a WOL but otherwise off NAS box.

Yes, your Windows admin skills -if you even got any- don't transfer. Learn and be done with it. It's still very little that you need to know about these immensely conplex machines.

Yeah i agree. I just worded it "Linux" to make things easier. Sorry for the short reply, don't have much to add.

He referes to the market in general, not just Jow Forums

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Dumb normies never managed to be sysadmins anyhow.

The only solution for them that works for them is actually rootless sandboxed Android. They get botnet backups of the most important shit and can't turn it into one giant virus outbreak.

You said unequivocally that "it's shit and will probably stay shit," so no, you've clearly made up your mind.

Jow Forums isn't the entire market retard, naturally people with an interest in technology gravitate to Linux because guess what, everything is open-source, you can study and discuss the source, you can't do that with Windows or MacOs, it's an impossibility because it is proprietary, hence why there is so little discussion of it. I'm sure if Windows or MacOS is ever made open-source you'll see a lot more people on here discuss it, because we can openly shit on how arcane the technologies it uses are.

Sure, but you missed the 'ingesting' part which is actually giving problems.

I added the rage flavour this board has to it :D

The general stuff is easy to learn and somewhat fun. The annoying part is dealing with the more complex problems.

True, damned pulseaudio, you make me feel bad

works on my machine
if you want good things, you have to invest time and energy. Eventually GNU/Linux becomes the path of least resistance.

You have no fucking clue what you are talking about, Windows is not your boot disk, it is not your drivers. Those are separate entities from Windows entirely. Linux has proprietary drivers available for it, it has services that are both better and comparable to Windows services, as well as a fuck load more available to it. Your understanding of computing is incredibly basic.

like what pulseaudio? gfx drivers for proprietary chips?

>Why the fuck do you need 16 distros
First, there are WAY more than 16. Second, why do you care? Are you somehow forced to install them all? Why are you mad that unpaid volunteers didn't spend their free time doing what you wanted?
>Also, nothing fucking works.
Works good enough for me to post this calling you a faggot.

>Can we stop pretending Linux is a good OS
that is because it isn't an OS, it is a kernel.

dumb nigger

Baseless assumption

>the minority
Nearly every server I administer professionally runs some flavor of Linux (usually RHEL or CentOS because otherwise one of our ISVs gets all pissy when, heaven forbid, they have to learn something different.) The only exception is an AD domain controller (running Server 2016) which is consistently a problem child. This board isn't Jow Forums - consumer whores, although I can understand how it may appear that way to a casual phoneposter. The people on this board use computers to do actual computing, not play games, which is about the only thing your shitty OS is good at these days. Go back to /v/.

Attached: 2019-01-28_10-06-06.png (1182x47, 6K)

Their time is better spent supporting other older project insted of producing shit, just like your parents.

>The people on this board use computers to do actual computing
kek

kek. Now this is some high quality bait.

Companies do sell computers without Windows on them, most servers run GNU/Linux or a derivative of Solaris/BSD as standard, it is not as popular in the desktop field precisely because of its market share, precisely because people like yourself believe that it cannot provide a desktop experience comparable to Windows. And where does that come from? It comes out of general ignorance of GNU/Linux and its capabilities as a desktop system. There are distributions like Linux Mint that provide a pre-configured environment which will handle all of the general needs of an average desktop user. There are distributions like KXStudio and Ubuntu Studio that provide pre-configured environments for multimedia production. Environments that require even less work than setting up a similar environment to Windows, as you do not have to install or configure any software, it is all done out-of-the-box.

Harsh,

It took me 2 days of work to set up android develoment on linux, while on windows its just a few hours of work. Even though its a shit OS, its still lightyears more convenient.

Attached: 1546520481040.jpg (1000x800, 85K)

This post gets a 10 out of 10

Linux is not a "new alternative" it is based on an even more prolific system that was used by the vast majority of the industry prior to the en-masse adoption of Windows NT for desktop based computing. The reason we don't have to spend $9 billion on shit like Vista is because we have thousands upon thousands of engineers, a much larger workforce than Microsoft fields, doing it for FREE. And why? Because they care, they care about providing an operating system that can be freely studied and used without limitation.

>apple moved to Microsoft
What the fuck are you talking about? MacOS is derived from the same fucking system as GNU/Linux is.

Good post.

Attached: 1460308700604.jpg (600x522, 27K)

Kernel btw

I dont see how this will happen at all.

Windows 10 is far more powerful than windows 7, and runs twice as fast. It is also much harder to pirate, and this point more than anything else has the Linux crowd in a panic.

It wont be long until Windows 7 is no longer supported, and when that happens, what is Linux going to do ?

Linux will have to find a way to work under Windows 10 from here on, since it wont be able to rely on Windows 7 being readily available anymore.

Linux may seem like a good alternative to Office, but all that is happening in linux is that the windows interface is cleverly hidden away. It still needs the drivers and software services in order to run, and in most cases - that happens WITHOUT a valid windows licence.

This is just plain piracy.

Windows 10 will finally put an end to this blatant abuse of intellectual property, and linux should decline, taking the pirates with it.

Anyone that supports the continuation of Windows 7 in place of Windows 10 surely has a hidden agenda .. and you will surely be caught out.

The only stable thing about debian is that the bugs never get fixed so you can manually port a patch from a competent OS and be sure it will work for the next 50 years.
PS: install gentoo

Then again, alsa with plug and softvol works fine. There's also JACK (which windows has no realistic alternative to).

Kek'd
Fucking newfags.

Are you implying that this bait is art? Trolling died as an artform long ago.

>runs twice as fast
No it doesn't, the only thing that made Windows 10 perform better than Windows 7 was the removal of Aero and a move to a flat-colour based UI, even then it is not even close to being rendered "twice as fast". As far as gaming goes it supports DirectX 12 and newer processors without having to go through workarounds, which is the only major advantage it has over Windows 7. The rest of your post is retarded and obvious bait.

Windows did not create the UI it currently uses, if anything Apple should be given the majority of credit for the current desktop environment UIs we see in use today.

Debian is a buggy timesink. It may be stable, but you either have to simply tolerate or work around all the bugs. It's pretty bad when issues never get addressed or fixed in an Linux OS, and its community never bothers to fix it, just telling the user to learn to fix it himself.

Windows 10 is just as easy to pirate as Windows 7 is m8, people have been providing pre-activated copies of Windows as torrents since XP, maybe even earlier

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.

But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linus.

My mind is open for change

Linux is a kernel.

I just got here, what are you on about?

10/10 bait

That's terrific, Richard, just swell

Don't reply in any meaningful way, just sit back and imagine that there may actually be people this retarded out there.

i don't use or like linux in particular myself ... but you fail to see the how your view on it is broken to begin with

there's a plenty of distro's to fit different needs

take ubuntu for instance - its the closest thing to windows

/end

Attached: 2.gif (342x342, 404K)

oh that and every damn os is flawed, bugged, worse just about any software is

Attached: 1bdcaf8c07.jpg (1068x1056, 116K)

if you ask me its like an intelligence test - if you're dumb fuck, you'll manage to get stuck otherwise to maneuver your way around the problems

Attached: 1477850969040.png (634x623, 943K)

I'm really old, over 30, and remember using Linux first time before 9/11 in dedicated machine. Same fundamental issues that plagued it then plague it now, in a sense things have gotten even worse since Mandrake days as desktops have "matured", gotten more bloated, glitchy and incompatible with each other. There was a time when I didn't have to care what toolkit application was made in, they all shared same basic themes and base logic. Not anymore. Mandrake was more stable and usable than Windows XP, but at least since Windows 7 desktop Linux is lagging behind Microsoft so much it's not funny.

>GIMP and plugins handle most of the shit you can do with Photoshop,
Terribly

My point is that GNU(what ever distro you pick) is still not user friendly, still requires a ton of work and its gets waaay more praise than it should. I currently dailty ubuntu but find myself switching to windows for work/school work due to the ease of use

Linux SUCKS. Why? Because:

1)Command lines/Lack of GUI's

Why the fvck would I want to use a command line? I have a modern computer, capable of displaying color and icons. Why should their be a command line? And further, why doesn't everything have a gui? Gui's are good, and easy, and don't require me to learn commands. Yey for Gui's.

2)Root/sudo is stupid.

Why on earth should I have to deal with either using sudo or running as root to actually use my programs? I still can't get a lot of programs to run because they keep whining about permissions. What ever happened to good old admin accounts? Why does sudo break everything?

3)Apt-get

Now this is just plane stupid. Why is it so damn hard to install anything? I have a desktop, why not do it the way it should be done? I get the installer icon, click on it, press forward a few times, wait, and have a nice icon on my desktop. Why isn't it done this way?

4)Compiling

Again, stupid. Just give me a fvcking installer program. None of this compiling sh1t.

Come on Linux. The rest of the world has moved beyond 1990. It's time for you to do so also. I'm giving up and installing windows.

Generally in the same way and often even using the same algorithms. The only major issue with GIMP is the dated UI, moreover that isn't the Photoshop UI and people are too fucking lazy to learn a new one.

>Now this is just plane stupid
>plane stupid

My point is that GNU(what ever distro you pick) is still not user friendly, still requires a ton of work and its gets waaay more praise than it should. I currently dailty ubuntu but find myself switching to windows for work/school work due to the ease of use
The only thing i do not agree with is the command line section. There are things that are faster done with a terminal.

yes. and linux works better than any os ever did. this means that all the shit comes from the gnu part

This post also gets a 10 out of 10

no u

kys back to plebbit newfig

buy amd
pacman -S xfce4
trizen -S xfwm4,13
yw

1) We have desktop environments for a reason retard, you don't need to use CLI for anything unless you are administrating a server; as far as Windows is concerned, everything in that regard is generally done in PowerShell, so it's the same experience.

2) Sudo shouldn't break anything, you should not need to run any desktop software as root and only use sudo to change system configuration files and install the software in the first place. root is literally the equivalent to the Administrator account on Windows and they are used for nearly identical purposes.

3) Many popular software vendors (retards who made Discord for instance) provided pre-packaged binaries that will install the application on your system, including a desktop shortcut. Generally a package manager is preferred because you can update all of your software with a simple command compared to having to go back to the vendor's site and install a new piece of software.

4) You only need to compile on distributions like Gentoo, or if you're using some software not available in your current distributions repository, in which case the vendor usually provides a package for you to make this painless. If you're a programmer you should already know you need to compile most shit for your use-case, this is true even on Windows.

tl;dr you don't understand what you are doing and are making moot points related to your own ignorance and not GNU/Linux itself.

If you use Ubuntu or Linux Mint you don't ever need to touch the shell, it is pretty much the same as Windows, except you can see all of the software available for your system in a repository browser. It does everything you're looking for.

If you tried Gentoo after just switching from Windows I feel bad for you son.

> summer

GNU's Linux or whatever you call it the fricken penguin doesn't recognize as much RAM as windows does. So let's say, if I have 8 GiB of RAM in Windows they are only 3.5 GiB on your communist operating system, making it much slower on new machines since software fallbacks to 32-bit mode with tiny amounts of RAM. I learned it from my .NET class.

Also i HEARD linux was copied from Mac by soviets in the 80's, and now they are trying to sell it in America. Keep trying niggers, I have Jesus to guide my family and friends on what to buy.

And since source code is state property, everyone is able to add virus to it. No thanks. I'll might try that open anus when Panda or Kaspersky experts manage to have their antivira installed on those unstable systems.

kys OP

Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel.

>Why the fuck do you need 1000 different companies that make computers and a need for more when the existing ones require time and energy learning how they work, how to use the keyboard, how to plug them in, money to pay the electric bill so the computer actually works, etc
Retard

>Also, nothing fucking works. There is always something wrong with it.
Bugs should be reported to the maintainers. It's your responsibility as a user to do that, maintainers can't fix bugs they don't know about and can't reproduce.

Linux is used in billions of mobile devices in the Android OS.

This is clearly bait, but I will say this so other people don't get the wrong idea by reading your post:

Linux has supported large memory addresses far longer than Windows has.

This whole thread has been nothing but bait from start to finish.

I tried to get as far away as possible from Adobe and no, fucking no. Gimp is shit.

Then pay someone to improve it or send them some patches.

Yes, but there are people (read: Windows users) will read this bait and think it is true, hence it is necessary to debunk the blatant lies.
Why is GIMP shit?