Should I switch to Linux?

Should I switch to Linux?

Attached: 85250_990x624.jpg (990x624, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lutris.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you want to then sure

Yes, I'd recommend it desu.

It depends. I have few practical reasons to use Windows, but I know a few that are rather irrifutable currently.
Why are you thinking of switching?

Attached: neo6.png (3840x2160, 3.61M)

If you need or want it enough you will make the switch. I recently switched once I got my second gpu (rx 580) to passthrough to a qemu/kvm for windows games and OneNote.

Attached: 1548454107748.gif (200x296, 1.84M)

I highly recomend you begin installing linux to a separate usb stick and boot off that. Start off with Ubuntu and start using the terminal. Remember! The [TAB] key in the terminal is your best friend. The man command is your second best friend.

Is it possible to do a qemu passthrough for NVidia GPUs? And hows performance on your windows VM using said passthrough? Little less than native performance?

Yes but it is no simple task. The hardest part is figuring out which usb ports and which card to output your display on and configuring which card the system uses at boot and disabling the other just for the vm to see.

I'm testing out looking-glass from a z170 board with a 7700k using a rx580 as my host and a gtx1060 for the windows 10 vm.

Performance is fine for medium 1440p settings but the system settings are very fine tuned for my weird setup. Once update could screw up my config.

Dualboot is honestly much simpler. I'm thinking about going back to a dualboot setup with KDE neon and Windows 10 ltsc just for my windows steam games (mainly Rainbow Six Siege).

If you just want to make the just to linux I recommend you start out with Ubuntu and installing steam games and signing up with Lutris for wine support of many windows games. lutris.net/

Question from a rolling GNOME Fedora user. Is KDE neon using Wayland yet? If so is it stable?

only switch if you need to or think you need to.

Been wondering the same thing OP. Currently use 7 and idea of having to go to 10 grosses me out. But then ... games... yeah I know people wanna hate on the games but..still.

>Should I switch to Linux?
install gentoo

Yes, by default, and it works very well. Better than on GNOME, in my experience. Though, last time I was on GNOME I was using Poop!_OS and that was 8 months ago, so in that time it could have improved there.
Only real downside of using Wayland on KDE is that GTK applications scale improperly on HiDPI displays OOTB. It's not unusable since they are the correct size, but they are the incorrect resolution so text is blury, for example. I say OOTB since there's apparently a fix for it, but I can't find it anywhere.
Not a major issue for me, theoreticlly, since GTK is inherently a trashfire that should be purged along with X ASAP.

Attached: neo8.png (3840x2160, 2.67M)

It's the same goddamn shit at the end.

Have you tried not being a manchild?

What games do you play?
TouHou, osu!, and Thumper run better through Wine on KDE Neon with the compositor disabled than they do on their native platforms.
I actually initially was attracted to Linux because of just how much better osu! performed; there's 4ms less input lag on average.

Attached: Screenshot_20190128_165502.png (3840x2160, 3.5M)

Because I occasionally play a video game I'm a manchild? Maybe I do serious shit too like how empty an existence do you have when you never just take a moment to relax?

Well I have been lookin around and it seems most of what I play or might be interested in playing does seem to work or use proton, hopefully the list of what doesn't shrinks?

Ignore him. He has one of the most vile mindsets I'm aware of, that being: "my way of leisure is the best way of leisure, because I just say so"
It's infuriating, really. Linux isn't bad for gaming, but most Linux users on Jow Forums adopted that mindset so they can have yet another delusion for why they're superior to Windows users. Nu-Jow Forums is gross.
That's good. I might be able to give insight if you say what the titles are. Only game I played on Windows that doesn't work on Linux so far is Duck Game, which is a genuine shame; it's one of my favorites.

Pretending to be an adult on Jow Forums doesn't make you an adult in real life.

Well I mean I won't really know quite for sure til I actually build the computer I guess. the games I had on the system that died are mostly older but newer games I might be interested in could be an issue. Again I'll have to see how it goes. My current steam library seems to at least list most of it in the steamos + linux category and that's without that steamplay or proton or whatever. I'll prob have to come back or do more research. Proton DB is the main site I've been looking at. Seeing what games are borked vs sorta working vs greatly working.

So you don't remember any of the title names? The point of me asking was so that you could have a live reference to go off of; so you could potentially sparing yourself from bothering with digging through various reports.

Well ok, what about VR stuff ?

Again, I'm asking for titles YOU play.
But, Thumper is VR. I'm not sure if it works under VR in Linux, but it is a VR capable game that works with Linux. McOsu works with VR on Linux, but it is a Linux native game so that's no big deal.

Start with Mint and work with it for a few months. Then choose the distro of your choice.
>stability
Debian
>customization
Arch or Gentoo
>no systemd
Gentoo

Is there any reason not to use Antergos?

Cities skylines seems to be native, eu4 seems to native, dragonball fighterz seems to have some issues, all the valve source engine games are native, VR Chat seems to kinda work at least in desktop mode? Doom and GTA seem to work... Planet Coaster doesn't seem like it does, though I'm just going by reports here on protondb, these are some more well known examples.

Try Ubuntu people here shit on it because they're snowflakes. it has a fuck ton of people who use it. even the dumbest question has an answer for it on the first page of Google

I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I meant Windows games you play that aren't native to Linux. I also meant games regardless of whether you've confirmed yourself for them to work or not. Again, the whole point is for me to give a separate insight to save you trouble.