In /hmg/ we discuss pentesting, ctfs, exploits, and general being a hackerman. Elliot edition

In /hmg/ we discuss pentesting, ctfs, exploits, and general being a hackerman. Elliot edition
>
Resources:
VM/CTFs:
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>easy beginner bullshit
vulnhub.com/
>prebroken images to work on.
hackthebox.eu/
>super secret club
ctf.hacker101.com
>part of hackerone, a bug bounty program. Find flags, get private invitations to bug bounty programs

Tools:
kali.org/
>meme dragon distro but it just werks
metasploit.com/
>scriptkiddie starting point and swiss army knife

Tutorials/Guides:
abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob
>From zero to OSCP-hero rough outline
youtube.com/channel/UCa6eh7gCkpPo5XXUDfygQQA
>IppSec, video guides for retired HTB VMs.

Certs:
eccouncil.org/programs/certified-ethical-hacker-ceh/
>CEH, only looks good a resume to non-technical in HR
offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/
>OSCP, the big dick swinging exam, 24 hours to own 5 machines and a further 24 hours to write up a report detailing your methods.

Attached: wallhaven-310460.png (1920x1080, 3.27M)

Other urls found in this thread:

abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can't hack a single htb machine, that means that I'm a complete useless and I must end my life?

Give 'Access' a try, getting user is really easy you just need to keep pocking around. Supposedly 'Help' is straight forward too but I haven't got around to trying it yet.
If you're more in the camp of 'no idea where to start' though, just watch ippsec's videos and google any tool he uses you're not familiar with.

What's a good fuzzer for black box? I've been reading up on AFL but that's more of a white box setup.

I'd start with otw. It's progressive

Additional info:

I've used both AFL and WinAFL but those are both used to instrument the source at compile time. I need a true black box fuzzer, both for compiled binaries and network protocols

niggers

Just do the easy ones and keep learning....it took me a month to get my first user and three months to get my first root.

how good do y'all think National Cyber League is? I was able to place pretty well in it because I bashed head to wall for 30 hours in a 48 hour window but I question if it has any real value.

Nah man that's where everyone starts.

I know this might feel like "cheating", but watch or read some walkthroughs when you get stuck. Do something like this: 1) set up the VM and try your best. 2) get stuck. 3) watch a walkthrough up to the point where they do the step you're stuck on. 4) pause video. 5) go to 1.
There is *NO POINT* in getting stuck on something for hours; you might eventually get it but since you wasted so much time, it's just not very efficient. But always try everything first, of course. Even the idea you think has a 0.1% chance of working. Because every 1000 times, that works ;) Eventually you'll need the walkthroughs less and less, and one day you'll be making your own!

Some good Youtubers: Ippsec, LiveOverflow, Derek Rook, OJ Reeves, Kindred Security, and a lot more!

How long did it take you autists to start hitting bug bounties?
Assuming basic Linux and programming knowledge

how to crack/bypass a basic http autheticator? it's a challenge that's part of the application process for a summer internship position

friend was doing it before me, really wanted to do it, did my "first" one yesterday, I fell in love and want to pursue it more, it's the best damn thing I've done in 5 years, and 5 years ago I could have done it, idk what was holding me back. Pursue it fucker.

Attached: 1542507342233.gif (352x232, 511K)

Is running through hacker101 a good way to get up to speed or is that a meme?

its still info, your call, but I would say yes.

Yes to good idea or yes to meme?

yes to good idea.

Today I learned how to secretly embed shitposts into images I upload (didn't do it to this pic in case your wondering).
Also learned a bit about networking and data packets. What a productive day.

Attached: 7c6.jpg (222x525, 17K)

lol, thats all you did? slacker.
Learn networking stacks front to back then you can show your face around here.

Kek I am Slackerman. Downloading meme dragon right now. About to pop this skid cherry

I got user on access but Im stuck because I know very little about Windows CMD, I know its some stupid little thing. I got root on Carrier which was awesome. The latest box is def on par with Reddish, super advanced and hard. When I can own a box like that I'll know Im ready for OSCP.

As a separate issue, I asked this before, how do I do an nmap scan on a website that using a service like Cloudflare or a load balancer? I want to bypass Cloudflare and connect directly to the website, if anyone knows where the research materials are Id appreciate it.

Its nice for fundamentals and actual real world bug bounties. I learned a bunch about SQL and real world stuff, and got an invite to own a website for cash which is awesome. Being able to be a hackerman without the 3 letters after you and get paid is great

I use hackthebox as learning. If you can't get anywhere use it as a point to learn. Learn nmap, learn burpsuite, learn dirb. Learn how to find cracks in the system. Learn how to think like an admin, and where they might have been lazy. Even if you can't get a flag right now if you're learning its not time wasted.

> Im stuck because I know very little about Windows CMD
I'm in the exact position as you user. Just keep googling shit and hopefully we'll both figure it out.
I'm unfamiliar with Carrier. Is that a retired box? If not, how hard was it? I might take a look.
I'm unfamiliar with how Cloudfare really works, but nmap is very good at getting around restrictions placed on it's probing. I would google around it, maybe look at specific nmap commands and you might find something.

try looking up "Verb tampering"

>abatchy.com/2017/03/how-to-prepare-for-pwkoscp-noob
No Carrier is still active

Ahh, I had looked over it because the difficulty bars didn't all seem stacked to the left, but looks like user is a lot easier than root so I'll try it.