How do we kill gifs? It's ridiculous that people are still creating these from video files in the current year...

How do we kill gifs? It's ridiculous that people are still creating these from video files in the current year. Manufacturers like Samsung even include some kind of "convert to gif" feature in their phones, and I just can't comprehend why

Attached: 18mnokwzq5mz9gif.gif (200x230, 303K)

blacklist *.gif in your filters
it's really that simple

There's nothing wrong with gifs
Long live gifs

Doesn't stop the rest of the internet from creating these dumb things

There absolutely is. There's no point converting a video into an image file that ruins the image quality, while bloating the file size to like ten times larger. It's a menace

>looking in to some retarded article a coworker has shared with the department
>open it up
>every two scentences the article is broken up by a shitty 3-frame gif of a movie clip used as a reaction
>takes 100000 years to load on my i9 and 2080ti
>the subject matter of the gif doesnt even make sense in context

Normalfags should never be given access to technology I swear.

>max. 256 different colors
>not even as efficient as PNG at compressing this reduced color palette

You know what's really ridiculous?

>i attached this screenshot of my screen as an image in my word document to show you my problems [MSG FROM RUSSIA AV: ATTACHED FILE DELETED]

>tfw no APNG

No

The better question is, why doesn't Jow Forums allow vp9 webms? It's been years and vp8 is deprecated, yet webms are still being made with it.

Attached: wemb_masterrace.webm (1000x414, 2.99M)

Apng is really dissapointing. Its just a sequence of PNG images in a single file. You could do the same with JPG or any format. They dont take advantage of PNGs delta compression to predict pixels between frames like it predicts pixels in the next row.

How long has it even been now? I still remember when the webms first hit, but I can't remember what year it was. You kinda lose track of time, stuff from 2010 still feels recent to me but it's been almost a decade

Its been 4 years

it may be disappointing but sometimes it serves it purpose well

>Manufacturers like Samsung even include some kind of "convert to gif" feature in their phones
Does this actually produce a .gif file, or a video (like H.264 .mp4) and it's simply a naming thing?

No, an actual gif. Which just baffles me, since just cropping the video seems like a simpler thing, and the end file would have both a smaller size and better quality. Wouldn't affect the end user in any way, so I really don't get that thing

Old school things are nice because they're old school. It's a cultural thing.
The day everything done makes sense will be the day we are no longer human.

Attached: 1522264825270.gif (60x95, 24K)

These kinds of gifs are fine, and what the format was intended for. Simple and small animation loops. But when people take a video clip and convert that into a gif, it's just retarded. So I guess what I'm saying is, people and websites need to start using video formats instead of gif videos. Remove the sound or whatever, like we do here

>Jow Forums autist discovers that the world doesn't work according to his wish

gifs are an essential part of the internet

what's up grandpa

No format loops by default, no format autoplays by default. The aesthetics of gif is that they're like their own contained element, constantly moving

Easily doable website-side

Attached: cbb96a1b.jpg (1080x1080, 161K)