/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: __nakano_miku_go_toubun_no_hanayome_drawn_by_xiaoyu__22f3ee562442e138a6a07ba365e81e8f.jpg (4082x2400, 1.47M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uNleQykOoEE?t=18
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for sniff my feet.

Never forget to parade your sennheiser remorse!

Attached: sennheiserremorse.jpg (1324x8120, 2.02M)

Stop, sapphire is already mentally ill and his headphones have snapped, he's going to kill himself at this rate!

Imagine being this obsessed over the HD6X0.

>he's going to kill himself at this rate!
Is that not what we want?

Attached: hd666.png (953x720, 994K)

No, I don't wish to end anyone's life, even one as rotten and cringeworthy as Sapphire's.

obsessed

I just don't want to see another death at the hands of /hpg/! Poor Nikita already overdosed on Krokodil, we can't let this happen again.

projection

obsessed

>mt. screech
lmao

welcome to the town of nobass good sir. We serve mudbeers and sourgrapes to the visitors who come to climb Mt Screech for the sake of exploring the veiled valley.

What's this?

Attached: 20190128_103405.jpg (2560x1440, 1.14M)

>mudbeers and sourgrapes
holy shit lmao

Stax!

Daily reminder not to fall for the STAX shilling.

Daily reminder that STAX is an old company that had outdated shitty sounding headphone tech that was considered high end back in the 1960s and 1970s but sounds like ass by today's standards, then they were purchased by a Chinese company who decided to market STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 audio cables that don't sound any better than cheap $20 ones.

>In December 2011, Chinese loudspeaker manufacturer Edifier announced the acquisition of 100% equity in Stax

Attached: LMFAO at Stax.png (697x422, 36K)

nikki...

na the box is small

Attached: 20190128_105957.jpg (2560x1440, 1.22M)

Based and objectivepilled.

Thoughts? Its a combined dac+amp for only £110. or is it better to get a MODI 3+MAGNI 3?

Attached: 1540846528022.png (1127x165, 45K)

why are you replying to yourself nikki?

>STAX to the audiophool "more expensive is better" demographic who buys those crappy $3000 audio cables
Stax don't even have detachable cables. You're high on drugs.

Yes, Schiit is a reputable company in the audio world. You can't go wrong with any of their products.

>schiit
OH NO NO NO NO NO NO

I love the HD600 is veiled meme. /hpg/ is filled with a bunch of deaf boomers.

Attached: STAX SR-404 - hd600.png (640x444, 51K)

Now post the version without the turd ED-1.

o b s s e s e d

because that is all he can do to justify his pathetic existence

ED-1 was discontinued for a reason. Post without the turd as the other user said.

nikki.....

ITT:

Attached: 2456245624572457.png (643x600, 74K)

it's better to not get anything from schiit ever

Reminder

Attached: 37DD5C5E-988E-4762-AB3F-E2DFDA2568C1.jpg (746x2192, 123K)

nice depiction of a golem throwing a tantrum

Attached: STAX SR-404 - ed-1 eq raw.png (640x444, 43K)

Oh hey, Mt. Screech suddenly disappears and the veiled valley is cleaned up. Really makes you think.

Much better tonal balance.

moondrop kanas

>not a boomer
seriously?

Stay delusional.

no surprise, df sounds like shit just like harman
maybe that's why hd600 sounds so bad

Boomers use HD600 silly. They were at the perfect age to buy it when it came out.

>t. triggered snapheiser incel

boomers grew in a world of trashy consumer products made of shitty plastic, the earliest of which was the brittle bakelite
they don't mind gaudy kitchen countertops

Two people buy HD600
Boomers who bought it when it came out and continue to buy it because “back in my day we had REAL headphones”
Zoomers who’re seeking approval from dad not realizing that the HD600 is an outdated piece of trash.

>Budget
$400
>Location
US
>Source
JDS Labs Atom
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Looking for an upgrade from my DT990, leaning towards HD600. Anything else to look at? I don't think I want beyers again. Hifiman? Audio-Technica?

Attached: xrw443aa.jpg (1051x1500, 193K)

>replacing midfi with more midfi
You people are all fucked in the head.

I get far more enjoyment out of my headphones than anything else in the world short of my maybe my computer itself.
do you love your headphones user?

Attached: IMG_20190102_135846-01.jpg (1920x1440, 1.52M)

remember : not all plastics are equal
youtu.be/uNleQykOoEE?t=18
HD600 are built with antediluvian synthetic materials
just like their drivers

My DT990 sounds too fatiguing on longer listening sessions.

They could have at least upgraded the headband material when they made the $500 (FIVE HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS) 660S but shitheiser, being the kikes they are, wouldn't even do that.

not trying to get you to keep these, I'm not a shill, but have you tried eq before considering buying new headphones?

I too upgraded from a dt990. My purchasing "path" was M1060 -> HE500 -> HD650 -> LCD2 -> HD660S. Likely only keeping the he500 and selling or sold everything else.
You have a lot of options so I'm going to say either a planar you like or get more money/good deal on a lambda.
HD600 isnt even a upgrade from equalized dt990(unless your pads are so heavily used that the 990 is useless, like mine).

I use Equalizer APO at times but I find myself wanting something different. Sometimes I feel I have to keep on messing with the EQ and I feel like it's not worth it.
I'm not really interested in STAX, I recently bought the Atom and my plan is to build my headphone collection around that. I'm interested in planars however.

>"high end" headphone
>doesn't even have detachable cables

Jesus fuck STAX is garbage.

>I recently bought the Atom and my plan is to build my headphone collection around that.
Building your headphone collection around a budgetfi amp. Embarrassing.

I feel like the x2 might be a decent alternative here because they're much bassist than most shit without treble rape but I haven't heard them nor have I seen them around in forever.
Anyone know what happened to the x2? Did the whole Philips HiFi department go under or something?
they and the shp9500 were ridiculously successful

Philips Fidelio X2

I've owned a pair for years now and they won't disappoint. Amazing headphone.

what's in the box senpai?

HD600 is the best option if you want an actual neutral reference headphone.
X2 is bright but it's mostly due to one peak as seen here.

Attached: df.png (700x512, 49K)

Gibson killed philips headphones.

don't listen to him, i just bought hd600 and they sound really embarassingly bad

Well then a used he500 was my solution. You don't have many options at $400 really. If you just want less treble get a 880 maybe? With the senns you're giving up sub bass which isn't a big deal in most genres because they have fine mid bass but its a real issue on others.
Used he500 -$3-400, hd800 $6-800, elex $700, lcd2c(I don't like the lcd2 but people say the c is better) - $650.

>I'm not really interested in STAX, I recently bought the Atom and my plan is to build my headphone collection around that. I'm interested in planars however.
you're just going to audition stax one day and then sell all you stuff :/ you're not the first person to go down this path, it happens all the time

Sorry, I'm not interested in used headphones. I really appreciate the replies but I fear the DT880's treble will be too forward like the DT990 which leaves me at the HD600. Most reviews outside /hpg/ seems to recommend them which is why I'm leaning towards them. I think I may order them tonight, if I don't like it amazon's return policy is really great.

No, it's the HaafeeHD1. I got it this morning and can say that the first 1 hour I was disspointed and it didn't sound better than the ath-m50 and was roughly the same sound. After like 2 hours with bass heavy music you could tell that these headphones are really good. The bass doesn't bleed into the mids and the treble isn't as bright as the m50, ad900x. HD600 is a weird one to compare it to because HD600 is unironically really good with weeb high pitch music with japanese female voice and anime.

Pros: Good quality and quantity bass (don't listen to people who exaggerate say it sounds like subwoofer on your ear because it doesn't have that earthshaking rumble) Might change with pads though cause the stock memory foam is kinda squishy. Super light and have virtually ZERO clamp force. I haven't read anyone mentioning the clamp force who bought the rbh-hp2/haafee. m50 clamp isn't that bad after you stretch it out but when you get it new it crush your head.
Cons: build quality is kind of shit because the plastic is low quality plastic. M50 and HD600 plastic are extremely well built (inb4 anti-hd600 says the plastic are weak it is not. At least not a new HD600 plastic). Here is a "con" but not a con for me because I have super small ears. The earpad is 2 and 1/4 inches long and 1 and 1/2 inches wide. Mine ears are exactly the same size and will barely fit perfectly. The stock pads aren't bad imo and are pretty soft but will probably swap it out for a genuine leather pad later. The pads are the same size like m50, so if you can't fit sony v6 or m50 then you will have your ear touching. It is meant for earlets like me.

Would I recommend it for someone using it outdoors? No, because I have a feeling if you drop it on the ground that isn't carpet it will break. For 99dollars it's pretty solid recommendation.

(will continue in next post with another con)

Attached: 20190128_110421.jpg (2560x1440, 1.15M)

Thanks user. That really sucks actually. SHP9500 filled a good niche as poverty tier over ear open backs. X2 was kind of unique. I wouldnt have bought either headphone but certainly it would have been better for the market for them to remain.

>don't listen to people who exaggerate say it sounds like subwoofer on your ear because it doesn't have that earthshaking rumble
You're supposed to EQ that in.

HD600 are shit

STAX are shit

They're both old, outdated crap with shitty plastic build quality, absolutely shit-tier bass, sibilant treble and a thin hollow sound that is not at all enjoyable to listen to for anyone that isn't a deaf boomer that can't hear anything under 1000hz.

They're marketed to Redditors and hipsters, who think something that is old, expensive and obscure must be good.

Vastly superior options exist today, modern drivers created with modern materials and vastly superior build quality.

Attached: STAX CRT.jpg (2016x1134, 451K)

do a bass shelf 150hz and below by 5dB for none electronic genres

Well go for it they're going to have less treble and significantly worse bass but are better overall. Just not an upgrade worth $300 since you're already $150 in, at least sell the 990.

Yet people who actually know what they're talking about swear by Stax headphones. Only poorfags who can only afford decades old Stax shit on them.

Zeos isn't someone who knows what he's talking about.

There is a reason headphone shops don't want to put out STAX for demo: because nobody wants to buy them if they hear them first.

Nah, I'm keeping the 990. I actually like it but I find myself not in the mood to enjoy it as of lately. Maybe I'm tired from my new job so I want something more relaxing to listen to.

>There is a reason headphone shops don't want to put out STAX for demo

Is this even true?

You're a retard. I've actually talked to owners of hi-fi shops, the reason they don't put their stuff out is that it's a bitch to work with STAX since they don't give a flying fuck about retarded westerners.

Con: I have this weird tiny cable sticking out of the hinge on the left side. Doesn't effect the sound quality but it's an eyesore and I can seem to unscrew it to get the hinge off so i can push the cable under. Maybe the chink glued it because even with it unscrewed I can't grab the plastic out and put the cable down.

Also will post 1 more picture after this one.

Attached: 20190128_165446.jpg (2560x1440, 1.15M)

Nikita why u betray me bro?

Now if you're shitposting against the HD600 I'm afraid we must sever ties.

I'm confused. Is everyone finally on board to shill Sony xb950n1 with me to keep fags away from the good shit?
I would be willing to monitor 16 hours a day shilling some random consumer headphone. Just lemmmino

Attached: IMG_20181105_120035-01.jpg (1920x1440, 1.33M)

based xb950n1 shill

Miku > Eatsuki

>zeos

>I've actually talked to owners of hi-fi shops, the reason they don't put their stuff out is that it's a bitch to work with STAX since they don't give a flying fuck about retarded westerners.
Sure you have STAXshill.

You can't fool anyone who actually listens to STAX, that's why they dont' want to demo them. Because you can't sell STAX once its "legendary brand from the 1930s" aura is shattered by the brutal reality that they sound like hollow crap, where the sound has no weight and no sense of soundstage.

People buy STAX for the same reason they buy CRT monitors, keyboards from the 1980s, VCR players, Vinyl players...etc: because they're needlessly expensive status symbols for internet nerds.

Attached: STAX virgins.jpg (4032x3024, 3.14M)

>he thinks having high voltage cables be quick detaching is a good idea

it would be for him, since he seeks death

are you done yet nikita?

All I'm getting from this post is that you're butthurt people can afford nice things and you can't.

Alright hope you enjoy them. They're not bad headphones(no holy war pls). I look at everything from poorfag objectivist point of view so DT990->HD600 is ludicrous but if you can afford it who cares

"no weight"
"stage"
okay now I'm lost I thought they were mislead russian-tier poorfags(so much poorer than i, a proud ebt american) who circle jerk objectivity but now they're spouting audiophool words?
Sound doesn't have weight.
Sound stage is a myth.

They spout whatever the fuck they can to shit on stuff they can't afford. It's an emotional investment, not a rational one. FUCK people who like nice things.

Here is another con, but not really. I was curious to see how the driver looks in real life so I took off the pads. If you take off the pads it will take over 20minutes to put them back on unless you know the trick of flipping them inside out then wiggling it side to side in a zig zag fashion. Will update if it breaks under normal use (not using it outdoors or traveling so in theory it shouldn't break). Worse case scenario if it breaks I might just cut the driver and put it into my ath-m50 and re-solder it.
Might sell my hd600 or just give it to my sister if the stax meme are true.

I'm this guy from the old thread btw. I mean I already bought all the /meme/ headphones after all. m50, kossporta pro, ad900x, hd600, haafeehd1...now I just need stax L300 limited edition to complete the circle. I want the golden stax logo for aesthetic.

/blog

Attached: 20190128_111828.jpg (2560x1440, 1.09M)

when are you going to understand that these are dishonest people who are not bound by integrity and as such cannot be called hypocrites? hypocrisy is only an insult to those with integrity.

Thanks for the quality content.

Protip: Forget Sennheiser, STAX...etc

Get a $800 Audeze LCD2C and EQ to any type of sound signature you want. Its distortion is under 1% from 20hz and up, and basically under 0.1% for most of the audible range.

By default its a smooth warm sound, but you can have it be as hollow as STAX or as ear piercing as the DT 1990 or as bass heavy as a Fostex TR-X00.

Its basically the perfect headphone, the only caveat is that with a diaphram so huge the driver can tear if you don't handle them with care.

Attached: 20171222_234154.jpg (1579x888, 230K)

Am I supposed to take someone who bought a $1500 multibit DAC seriously? Get the fuck out of here. And that's not even your fucking image you poorfag loser.

>CRTs are expensive
dude, I'm literally buying a Triniton tmr or this week for 20bucks, can't get any cheaper than that, 20 bucks for a 1600 x 1200 monitor with a dynamic range better than most LCDs

btw stax sucks :)

Except I literally have $4000 LCD4s.

You're not fooling anyone shill.

please read and no headphone should be tuned stock to rumble levels of bass. bass boosting needs an amp and EQ. cut the bass to get them more neutral or boost them to get more rumble. the reason beryllium and this headphone in particular is very popular is because it's linear and takes EQ like a champ.

>triggered STAXlet mad that his shilling on STAX in /hpg/ isn't working

Stay mad faggot