How does Jow Forums deal with impostor syndrome? Why is it so prevalent in people who work with tech?

How does Jow Forums deal with impostor syndrome? Why is it so prevalent in people who work with tech?

Attached: imposter-syndrome.png (288x262, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

just let your dick hang out bud. It's a damn shame that the tech industry is hyper-competitive like it is, but you jus gotta let your dick drag over them as you assert your dominance. Destroy their subtle dominance plays by pretending to be chad.

>How does Jow Forums deal with impostor syndrome?
I'm actually confident in my knowledge and what I do and don't know. I work in a particular field of programming niche enough that there truly aren't many people out there which know much about it, and you can easily identify the people that know their shit.

why do millenials feel they have to call being newbie "imposter syndrome" and act like it's a mental disorder

Attached: 3832d14eb9cd9b5d8b7469e9814f6430361927d5ed83f9116ce91dc12b2017a9.jpg (625x564, 68K)

It isn't a syndrome, it's reality

Attached: imposter-imposter-syndrome.png (288x262, 8K)

come up with an original insult

You might know enough to get the job done, but you're still only mildly successful. If you actually were in control of your life you'd have the precedent to back up your dick.

Struck a nerve, did he?

>Why is it so prevalent in people who work with tech?
Because "tech" includes things that are not tech, such as browsing social media sites or being HR.

I know. It's ridiculous.
You either know your shit (which takes decades of time) or you're still wet behind the ears.

>throw back a couple of leaded bleach shots

oof
u mad? Most of you faggots don't know shit.

lel you know this feeling has been part of the human condition since before fucking Socrates right?

Tell me more.

no I wouldn't know, I'm not stupid so I've never felt dumb or inferior around other people, but if you do it's probably because it's true and not because you have some mental illness

I def wouldn't call it mental illness, but if you've never felt dumb or inferior around any other person ever you're probably too stupid to realize you're useless.

No I'm just smart and not useless

There's a fuck tonne to learn in software and it keeps getting bigger all the time and if you don't know the latest buzzwords you're literally unemployable

btfo

>did I do that or was it the software that did it for me?

It's a bit of both for me. On one hand, I acknowledge I'm competent enough to piece technologies together, on the other, I acknowledge that all the hard work has already been done for me, and that I'm a literal monkey

A lot of people who think they have impostor syndrome really are impostors and it isn't a "syndrome"

Codelets will never learn.

Because they all cheat in school, don't learn anything then shit their pants when they have to solve problems in the real world.

>In the advanced classes for comp sci
>We are spending the entire semester building a WordPress website
>No actual coding, the hardest thing is installing plugins
>Half the class is terrified
>Constantly stopping the professor to ask what button to click to add paragraphs and other similarly retarded questions
>This is suppose to be an advanced class towards the end of the degree
>MFW

Attached: 1412042073980.gif (480x270, 248K)

>mfw data science class
>Bunch of retards cant make an average with python from an iterable.
Just fucking nuke us

It's not a mental disorder, it's a normal psychological phenomenon like Pavlovian conditioning or recency bias.

>Why is it so prevalent in people who work with tech?
Because people who work in tech tend to be smart. It's the reverse of the Dunning-Kruger effect, just like how stupid people think they're smarter than they are, smart people think they're dumber than they are.

It's a pampered work culture phenomenon

You're asking the wrong place. Most people here are dealing with the Dunning-Kruger effect instead.

Because everything that liberals dont like is a mental illness and what they like is not

I know that I don't know as much as some people so I don't get the sad when I meet somebody who knows stuff I don't. I also know I know a lot more then some other people

i have the reverse

my coworkers fucking hate it

what gay ass school are you going to? sophomores at my school learn how to program with Java, C and use makefiles and shit

Yes, highly valued knowledge workers have historically been pampered. Even going back to the medieval ages, positions like archivists and librarians were valued and thus there has always been a correlation between pampered work environments and impostor syndrome.

>be me
>land a nice tech internship
>love every second of it
>nice office
>nice people
>intern there for 6 months
>they want me full time
>feel like an idiot
>feel like I was a nuisance for the company
>leave
>half a year passes
>regret leaving
>email old boss
>he's down with me coming back even though I performed terribly
>afraid I'll let my social anxiety and impostor syndrome kick back into action

How do I beat this bros?

stop being a pussy

Can confirm. I know my stuff, everyone I've talked to on the subject agrees I'm competent, but I don't care for buzzword bingo so I can't get a job.

Millennial, in every sphere of life, are afraid of being "exposed" as inauthentic.

you're not doing compsci

this.
also because they expect you to know and be able to do everything once you're called or marketed as a senior {insert job title} consultant.
even if you only have 3-4 years of experience.

that means you're the dumbest person there.
dunning-kruger effect

> t. actually in a 6month web dev class
you're a fucking joke, your "advanced classes" are a joke, and you will only ever have a job as someone real developers laugh at

Impostor syndrome is not real, you are worthless
Depression ain't real, just stop being sad

>Depression ain't real, just stop being sad
this but unironically

I wasn't being ironic
Depression isn't the flu, depression is your mind telling you your life is shit
So stop taking meds, find what's wrong with your life and change at any cost and now you stop being sad

Funny thing about the Dunning Kruger effect. It does NOT mean that dumb people think they are smart while smart people think they are dumb. In the original paper the estimations of ability were almost flat across the spectrum of actual skill. It's probably another result of people failing to be sufficiently pessimistic, this time about what they still have left to learn.

>depression is your mind telling you your life is shit
It is possible to have an arbitrary chemical imbalance in the brain, but for the most part you're right. My bouts of depression are entirely caused by having an accurate idea of how shit my life is and how little I can do to fix it. Different user btw.

that isn;t imposter syndrome

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

things that never happened.

lmao
In my last year of comp sci I took courses in computer vision, compilers and machine learning
Are you sure you aren't at a special school? Like there's a good chance you're actually spud tier retarded and your wranglers are letting you do some community college webdev bootcamp to get you to stop pestering them about your "combutda sience"

Attached: honk.jpg (1024x746, 283K)

>It is possible to have an arbitrary chemical imbalance in the brain
materialist propaganda

that's how you know people who "attempt" suicide but fail are not really depressed, they just crave attention.

people who actually realise that life is what's wrong with their life just make sure they dont fail suicide.

A 100% shit tier community college with an extremely low graduation rate. I'm just here because it's free and I'm trying to get the degree. I self taught myself Java, but that doesn't get you a job.

I am.

The class is a joke, i'm only going here because everything is retarded easy and iv got scholarships.

It happened.

>machine learning
Oh wow you learned how to install TensorFlow and watch it run. Very impressive.

The school is a scam, but it's an easy degree and im not paying for it so IDGAF.

Attached: 1403809400628.png (10000x9441, 1.95M)

>It is possible to have an arbitrary chemical imbalance in the brain
In the same way it's possible to have an arbitrary lead imbalance in the brain.

Attached: tshirt-m-gunhead-Black-art-280[1].gif (280x280, 1000)

Unbridled irrational confidence

For me it's more like: how motivated I am vs how my average colleague appears to be

Attached: 6a00d83451c0aa69e201b8d13a0701970c-320wi.jpg (280x139, 14K)

>Because they all cheat in school
It's not a "syndrome" if you are an actual impostor.

The world is a lie.
t. millenial

Do you guys honestly feel this way? For me it's the other way around.. I'm surprised at how incompetent some seniors are (read older than 30). Obviously some are gods but the only difference between me and them is experience and maturity. I consistently overcome every expectation left for me, except for spending 9 hours at work because I don't. I finish the assigned feature(s) fully tested in three days flat and chill the rest of the week

This user has it right but idk if it's irrational

Attached: 1530708105588.png (593x540, 306K)

>he's down with me coming back even though I performed terribly

Did he tell you that?

I have never felt this. If you're invited somewhere, you have as much a right to be there as anyone else.

I've found you on this chart. Hint: you're near the start.

Attached: mt-stupid[1].png (613x481, 36K)

Isn't that the opposite of imposter syndrome? That's actually what i see WAY more often than people playing down their achievements.

>study real fucking hard
>get excellent grades
>finish uni terrified because I know enough to know how much I don't know

Shit's bad anons. I just keep pretending I'm an expert and people keep listening.

That is 100% not what imposter syndrome is, that is called being a newbie.

Imposter syndrome is when boomers tell you "you kids don't know shit" so much your whole life that you actually start to believe it and still question your own abilities even after performing open heart surgery while simultaneously landing a rover on pluto.

Boomers are the saltiest fucks alive and never stop trying to fuck over younger generations, you could literally cure cancer and invent FTL travel and they'd just bring up some shit about how you still don't know shit because you didn't storm the beaches of the Daytona 500 in 92 or some bullshit.
Their greatest fear is conceding the world to their own children, so much so that they are willing to take steps to directly assault their morale to prevent it, and this is the result.

Attached: hqdefault[5].jpg (480x360, 12K)

>Thinking 4 years of school prepares you for 40+ years in a constantly changing landscape with evolving problems and tools
Absolute brainlet tier