Is Steam really a botnet?

Is Steam really a botnet?

Attached: share_steam_logo.png (512x512, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XjxT7Vj-aok
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everything is a botnet.

t. Jow Forums

even if it was youd all still use it, nice try OP

>see thread
>"i bet it's that autist's retarded neocities page"
>*click*

Attached: notsurprisedkirk.jpg (487x274, 41K)

Proprietary storefront packed with DRM
Of course it is you fucking idiot

Rule if thumb is if its free then its a botnet
>inb4 loonix is free
yeah im pretty sure any distro logs what ip address and packages you install from their servers/mirrors

>linked to some form of real world identity
>linked to some form of real world currency
>logs fucking everything
>individual profiles

if you don't own the servers you're connecting to then it's a botnet
everything is a botnet on the world wide web.

Fuck you

>epic shills this desperate

1. It's closed source, so non free software rules apply.
2. That OP is a retard.
3. In order to offer online purchases you are required by law to keep a shipping address of your customers' purchase. Credit Card info has to be processed if you use that as a payment option of course, just like every other online storefront, they can't charge you if they don't get the payment method, which the user gave freely.
4. Steam DRM is optional for the developer to implement and you can even run Steam offline.
5. Hardware surveys are optional and picked at random.
6. The whole point of Steam is to collect how many hours you spend on certain games for bragging rights.
7. Technically you can set up a Steam account where you can only receive gifts to or play free games and you won't have to give address/real world info. But those fags never think of that. Valve doesn't care that they have this info, it's all part of their regular service offering.

>not starting lists at 0

>that thread
How can /v/ be so stupid?

OP is a /v/-tard. I bet he doesn't even know how video games work, so why use concepts that are way above his head?

It runs on Linux, which is spyware free, so of course Steam is safe.

It was never good, but now it's obnoxiously underage.

fuck you

Oh no! You showed me!

quality post

Attached: homr hapi.jpg (426x436, 36K)

No, fuck you!

>logging stuff on your own server is bad
>logging stuff from your users computers is good

Attached: 1491223201451.gif (236x224, 1.92M)

people indicate the first item with a 1, because its the 1st item.

as someone who writes mostly back-end software, starting with a 0 makes sense, but only for computers.

>6. The whole point of Steam is to collect how many hours you spend on certain games for bragging rights.
if that's the point of steam how come it didn't record hours played when it was first launched?

Because Valve found out that people like to boast hours. Literally every other gaming company adopted this, PS4, Xbone and Switch all proudly display and share your hours now too.

haha us nerds am I right?

>1. It's closed source, so non free software rules apply.
Seriously, why Steam isn't OSS? Do they have any reason to keep it proprietary? I guess people could make their own clients later, but so what? They would still have to purchase games from Valve.

It tracks which games you play when and for how long.
It tracks which computers you use to play games.
It tracks what you look at in the store.
It probably tracks a lot more.

I assume because it relies on their servers and platform and store too much. As well as that they offer a form of DRM in it.

even if they collect our data i doubt they're selling it

Pretty sure the second Valve would sell that data, that they'd lose a ton of their userbase, it's in their best interest to not do such practices.

so why worries? your data is safe with gaben, everything is botnet you just need to trust the platform you trust

Attached: j8_1.jpg (877x1413, 138K)

youtube.com/watch?v=XjxT7Vj-aok

I wouldn't say safe. Nothing is 100% secure. I just prefer some platforms over other based on their companies, and business practices.

At least they contribute to linux development ?

you sound like intel press releases

Epic won't even support linux screw them.

Can you refute that nothing is 100% secure?

yes, but at least it's not epic sturd

lmao fucking idiots. Morons like you don't care if your data is sold because you still use fucking Windows, Google, Youtube, Facebook etc. You don't even have any way of finding out if Steam are selling your data..

>assumptions

Why does Jow Forums hate that Neocities Spyware site?

the point is that there's an entity that can do that with your computer. valve can do that. not that they will.

Jow Forums is botnet
also

>tracks your IP
>individual profiles
>logs
/v/irgins are so fucking retarded.

I'm embarrassed about my hours. Wish I could delete.

what are you? a hobo freecuck? what are you even doing on the internet lmao everything is a botnet just embrace it and trust your trusted platform even Jow Forums also a botnet, gtfo

You truly are an idiot.

Uh a botnet is when a large group of computational devices are co-opted for nefarious purposes, it's not just anything you don't like. (unless you're retarded)

Pretty sure you can

Account, yes. Hours, no.

Cardinal instead of ordinal my dude

They're not an advertising company. Other than track the games you play, browse and blacklist to use them for their game recommendation algorithm, I don't know why they would keep other irrelevant info in the long term when, for all intents and purposes, all that information is essentially noise. They probably trash the raw data for their hardware surveys once they make the graphs and if it's already a few years old. No point in keeping all that data when you're releasing terabytes of new games everyday.