/tpg/ thinkpad general

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, quadcore; USB 3.0, 32GB RAM in W-series
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p/T540p; W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Attached: 551852a3-a16f-46d6-bdd9-ce93eb8bbe60.jpg (500x375, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
alibaba.com/product-detail/IAQX10N_60440335716.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.6.1c937720DZafxR
medium.com/@n4ru/the-definitive-t430-modding-guide-3dff3f6a8e2e#94e5
thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade
weidian.com/?userid=387855275
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2668200806
cnmod.cn/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

TFW no X220 with up to date specs.
I just want newer hardware inside it with a better screen. :'(

Previous thread here

Silly archive, it's this one

Depends on what you do with them. They're still plenty fast if you use a botnet-free OS. The display is upgradable.

Decided to go the Frankenpad route, I wanted a T60 as my "real" laptop. Needed it to be better that what I currently use to be worth it though. Here's what I'm thinking for and how upgrade/mod it.

>Use my current T60, only relevant specs are that it's the 15" model, has the fingerprint scanner, and uses the 9 cell.
>Order, when I can hunt those slippery fuckers down at least, a T70 mobo. Need the 7700HQ for Gentoo, compiling is fun, and to run Windows in a VM.
>Order one of those sketchy AliExpress panels that allegedly swap right into the frame. I'm most hopeful for this upgrade, an IPS QXGA panel sounds amazing.
>8GBs of DDR4, newer RAM cause T70 board supports it.
>512GB EVO SSD. T70 boards support SATA III whereas the original T60/61 only SATA II. Not always noticeable but another nice perk.
>Standard Intel wireless/bluetooth card upgrades. Apparently the ones from the T420 fit just fine and are cheap.This true?

TL;DR Trying to make the best T60 possible for my daily driver. Already summed up the total cost and that isn't an issue, If I get to sell my current laptop, I'd frankly have money left over. So help me out, better to sell my ultrabook while it's still shiny and new and it'd be awesome if I got my dream laptop in the process. Let me know if I'm fucking up somewhere, or if this is a good idea and hit the order buttons. Only issue I forsee is getting a hold of those boards, but I'd manage with a T61 board, adjust other specs too, if it came to that. Thanks.

Attached: T70. Motherboard.jpg (3024x3024, 3.26M)

Can I find a cheap thinkpad with an HDMI port ?
A T410 preferably

How much does all of that cost?

I'm looking for a specific kind of ThinkPad. Needs to be small, under 11 inches. And it needs to relatively thin and needs a 4:3 or 5:4 display. The specs don't matter since I'll only be using it for text editing.

Attached: 1546547035341.jpg (1600x1018, 326K)

>>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
>github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt

Hello /tpg/, I'm the creator of this, and it's very close to being done. I've come to say that it's hosted on Github for a reason. Is anyone here able to figure out the early 90s models, or the i-Series? I don't know shit about 90s Thinkpads, all I can do is read Thinkwiki. See the "testing" branch for 96-99 models I added in already. At this point, I'm fairly sure everything from year 2000 to now is placed in there.

But a lot of shit still eats CPU

For me, more than likely cheaper than for you. I have most of those parts already from other stuff. Thankfully modular parts are a thing.
>The SSD is a holdover from my desktop, upgraded to a 1TB NVME stick.
>Already own the T60, and got a new battery with it when I ordered it a year ago.
>I own a T420 too, don't use it anymore but I can rip the bluetooth/wireless out of that. Screen is fucked and it's ugly, can't really sell it.

Only thing I'm really buying is the T70 board, some DDR4 RAM, and new QXGA panel. I got a Surface Book last year, love the thing but this would be an upgrade in almost every way but the screen. Surface Book's screen is damn near OLED quality, it's hard to beat. But 15" IPS QXGA is hardly bad either.

X60/s or X61/s
you can also libreboot them easily if you want

Link to said sketchy panels?

Here's one, I found the exact panel number I was looking for. There's other links on eBay and stuff.
alibaba.com/product-detail/IAQX10N_60440335716.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.6.1c937720DZafxR

whats the best thinkpad I could get for 300 usd?

Did I fuck up? I wanted a kino station with a big screen. First thing I'm doing is replacing the fhd with a 3k display

Attached: 20190129_111354.jpg (1440x1986, 595K)

Speaking of displays, is there a glass or glossy version of the T420 screen?

maybe the T420i has it, though I'm not sure; I know the X220i has a glossy display

I guess you could try with the alienware panel (mentioned here medium.com/@n4ru/the-definitive-t430-modding-guide-3dff3f6a8e2e#94e5 ). It's a guide about t430, but I think it'll fit. Afterall thinkwiki groups t420 and t430 screen upgrade in the same page without mentioning anything model specific ( thinkwiki.org/wiki/T420_and_T430_HD+_Screen_Upgrade )

No, I paid 450 yuros for the similar Zbook in October, though is has IPS display. IMO $380 isn't bad.

That thing needs a quad core cpu really

> it's not quad which starts with 4700MQ
Shiettt didn't even notice that. Then it's a bad deal since 4700MQ will cost additional $100.

I'm awful at e&m stuff, is a t430+2hdds+msata ssd excessive power draw for a "new" 9cell ebay battery?

uwu
kek do you know what cpu that was
try finding one with a quad core and cancelling if it hasn't been shipped yet desu

Attached: 1548624891973.jpg (1746x2328, 2.31M)

Any bros here who have done the T420 FHD IPS mod, have you noticed a decrease in battery life? I just installed mine and the screen looks glorious.

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series
Is there something wrong with the E Series? Lenovo have some great sales right now

Nigga how'd you place a T70 order, I've lost my link to that Zhang guy's website (which has the X210 / T70 mobo's), and some guy by the name of LCDfans hasn't responded to my email enquiry. Fukken ;_; x1000

IPS consumes more.
THE FACT

Cheap plastic everywhere!

A good program to stress test a laptop? Ideally for Windows, since pretty much all the used Thinkpads I've seen for sale have that shit installed.

can't answer your questions but thanks for making this

What do you guys think about convertible laptops? I keep seeing them in my search for a laptop, and I have no idea if I should book it as a pro or as a con feature.

Im tempted to rebuild another x200. I found a motherboard and a the base cover for cheap. I have a lcd assembly and palmrest and keyboard. Idk if i should do it since itll be my 3rd one

@anyone in EU
Where do you find cheap memepads?

Depends on your use case. From these threads they look like they've held up as well as non-tablets so I wouldn't worry about that as a factor. I just ordered an x201 and decided to not factor in the added functionality of the tablet version because I have an ssg note 10.1 from 6 or 7 years ago that works fine when I feel like drawfagging. The thinkpad was bought solely to bring IDEs to the couch so tablet functionality didn't affect my selection.
I'd really consider it a neutral feature because the only outright con is it can/will increase the average asking price. For what it's worth, the tablets seem to have been given better screen options for some models so you might look for them specifically if only for that reason. I would have bought an x201t instead of the non-convertible if I didn't own the note, I entered drawthreads more often than I do now, or I found a better deal on one than the x201.

you can always libreboot it and resell it for a profit

how do i repair my t410 or is it fucked?

the screen would glitch out or i would a BSOD every now and then especially if i moved the laptop in a weird way ot would set it off sometimes but this happened months ago and has been fine for awhile until yesterday when it the glitching/crashing started happening again and now it will turn on show the thinkpad screen and then shut off again.

it's definitely not a power issue, i did back when i had the issue earlier replace the yellow power socket thingy not sure what to do noe

its hard to get them cheap in europe, best bet is trying to find good ebay auctions or people who dont know what they are selling. check your local selling sites and search lenovo laptop, ive found thinkpads fairly cheap a few time that way since people dont know they are thinkpads

god, my x210 finally got shipped after placing an order like a month ago
i thought i got chinked cause he kept saying that he was gonna ship it next week for four weeks straight i'm glad its coming, can't wait
still hope i don't get chinked when its here
those slippery fuckers are hard to get your hands on

Attached: 080228igljmsllj7zkr7s0.jpg.thumb.jpg (800x534, 35K)

what's better a better shell for the motherboard, an x201 or x201s?

holy shit cant wait for you to post pics :3, i hope you didn't get chinked and thats the machine is good fo0r you. how much did you pay and did you get the full thing or just a mobo?

Attached: 1545062587951.jpg (800x1200, 206K)

Can I upgrade the bluetooth on a thinkpad?

Attached: proprietary cancer.png (300x217, 59K)

maybe if you cant swap that thing get a wifi/bluetooth combo

Attached: 1548438902518.png (900x588, 588K)

got mobo for £450 from the manufacturer, i7 8550u motherboard + 1080p ips display (they included those in all 3rd gen x210 purchases)
i was pretty nervous cause he had me wire transfer him the money through western union, so he could've just ran away with it at any point. i got images of the package with content labels and a tracking number so im pretty happy atm.

awesome can you link the site or sellers page or some shit think ima try get one in the next batch. it should be fine i imagine he wanted you to wire the money so you dont do a charge back

Does anyone know if any of these Thinkpads have good battery life?

weidian.com/?userid=387855275
is their official store, though its china only. i ended up emailing HOPE directly
next batch is x63,
weidian.com/item.html?itemID=2668200806
though they're using 5xxx cpus, so its just an x62 with an m.2 port. i heard he got pissed off or something working with coffee lake cpus. dunno wtf is up with the price, i saw it double a couple of weeks ago. maybe they're selling full laptops this time

also coffee lake cpus produce more heat and the x61 can't handle it

>thinkpad caveman specs in the year of 2019
>battery lasting longer than 10 minutes
get a macbook

I just got an x201 with a bad screen, is it worth it to do the AFFS screen upgrade? Is it that much of a benefit considering I'm replacing the screen regardless?

Attached: 1547510440718.jpg (637x637, 57K)

W2C 1080P screen for X220?

X210 works fine with the i7.

Is the 2013 MacBook air any good?

CPU? Prime95 GPU? Furmark
From KK @taobao, or directly from 51nb?
Man, is 1.5k petrodollars worth it, I was expecting it to be 750 at most

>Man, is 1.5k petrodollars worth it
no, is saw it at 490 dollars a couple weeks ago
i think someone hit an extra 0 accidentally
wait till its actually out and on sale i guess or message hope or ask on the forum what happened

is x230 mic really shitty or is it some defect/drivers im missing? mine sounds like im underwater or something. not that im planning on using it anyway, just curious

i love my new baby anyways

Attached: IMG_-mmq8nz.jpg (790x1024, 126K)

bump, anyone tried storage like this?

Attached: 2nd hdd.jpg (500x333, 15K)

Ok, I'll wait it out i guess. I'm guessing you've spoken/messaged them in their language? I'll just patiently use my x60 for now :3

I'm interested in getting one of these boards or a complete unit, what's the best way to get in contact with these chinese computer wizards?

Its not bad, but i don't really need that much storage space.

nah, he speaks english. i don't speak chink. i had to use chrome to auto translate all the pages

There's a W500 with a 1200p screen for 60€ I can buy. Is it worth it? Is the 1200p screen any good?

UltraBays are cheap and worth it, since disc technology is basically dead. Works great for dual-boot or more local storage.

i would
16:9 is for niggers

Is anyone willing to sell an X60s? Preferably one in good shape. Serious offers please.

Just grab a cheap one off ebay, and buy chink parts (new) to restore it (heatsink/LCD and bottom case cover / bezel / keyboard /etc)

hope's email address is
[email protected]
hope is the main guy

I was more interested in the power draw, abstractly or from experience. I don't really have a gauge on 2 hdds effect on the battery life, just that it'd be more costly than ssds
(I'm /ptg/'ng a bit and already have ~800gb of media so I'd use the storage, but I need decent battery life for school)

i love my x220t. it served me very well. it was my first thinkpad.
but i need to give it a new home.
I've tried selling on ebay, local craigslist, but nothing.
is it the price? is x220t really that unsellable?
specs
>yuropoor
>ips screen with few minimal scratches
>no multi-touch
>german keyboard
>one usb port isn't working
last price i put was 80€.

pls respond

Most people buy the x230t if they are getting the tablet version
Only poor fucks get the x220 so they dont want to pay extra for the tablet model. Grab some food coupons and add it as a bonus item they love that shit

Anyone here have an eGPU setup? How easy/hard was it to make the entire setup?

danke user, i will email him in a few weeks once the dust settles on the pricing. I emailed some guy name Jacky, but he hasnt responded in some time

also
cnmod.cn/
according to r/thinkpad is where most us fags get theirs

if you're in bed or in a quite place the hdd makes noise so i remove it because its annoying.
However , I would still recommend cause it makes the laptop lighter

>second monitor
>second power supply
>pcie/express adapter
>proper drivers
It """""""""works"""""""""" but you get some limited bandwidth

my x210 m.2 egpu is ready

what can i do with t420 i7 2620m + egpu ?

whats the max performance i can get? what card should i use and what games can I play with it?

Attached: chrome_2019-01-29_17-38-24.png (625x614, 366K)

40fps at 1366p irrespective of game or graphics if using internal display
if external display 120fps 1080p at least, probably no limit

What kind of egpu?
Also, hi /tpg/ im looking at spending my amazon $100 gift card and seriously considering the x131e thinkpad for $90
Is it possible to get more than intended usage out of something this low tier?
Someone said "u can seabios chromebooks"
Also considering using cardpool.com to spend it on ebay.
Let me know

Attached: th (4).jpg (474x355, 20K)

> if you want the Real Business Experience™
>line missing from the OP
cringe and bluepilled desu

>x131e
What is it you like about this machine over the x200/201/220/230 thinkpads? This thing looks woefully underpowered.

What is your setup or suggestion for $100 amazon?

If you could cardpool it, im certain you can nab an X2*0 series off ebay, just like mentioned. I reckon he's saying they are better options in almost all areas.

I don't buy products like computers on amazon so I couldn't tell you what to do there. I just know that's overpriced for the hardware. It's a 6 (7) year old chromebook listed for more or equal the price of what you can find the other main X series thinkpads selling for on ebay. It looks like the kind of laptop you'd get for grade school kids to learn how to use a computer on (1.3GHz APU or 1.4GHz i3, 2gb RAM) rather than for personal use. If you have some way to convert your gift card to ebay bux, I'd do that and then look around for awhile rather than buy Bezos' overpriced offerings.
The dankpad link in OP is actually pretty accurate if not slightly overvaluing some laptops, at least what I've seen recently. I just ordered an x201 in very good shape that was only missing a HDD for $60 and from just a quick search I see another listed that's missing HDD and charger for $55. If you have spare parts laying around that's a much better deal than a $90 x131e. You can watch for awhile and see ready-to-roll x220s in good shape go for $80-90 final bid price.

they're just built worse generally, lacking most of the QOL features that main series pads have in exchange for a lower price.
Also, rounded corners.

Attached: yuck.png (600x450, 143K)

Interesting. The only reason im looking at chromebooks is because of the ssd standard boot drive and plus theres a lot of people that run coreboot linux on them

Lain a cute. Rethemeing everything since I changed my wallpaper. Time to theme rofi.

Attached: 2019-01-29-190304_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 174K)

Attached: model and time of last reported coreboot.png (387x493, 28K)

Wow. Ive got my eye on a t60 in the $80 range but its hard to find one with a hard drive. It just makes it convenient if i can have a laptop in a week and get it coreboot

>tfw fresh LTSC install

Attached: 3.jpg (1400x1050, 223K)

What hard drives to people typically use for t61? What about batter/charger?
Just curious because its difficult stretching out this budget

>typically use for *
chink ssds
>What about batter/charger
chink battery/chargers
at least i do

>LTSC
how do i get my paws on this?

thinking of gettin X1 Extreme

t400 wont turn on
what do

pat its lid
then try again

lolis

Internet, can't post the sha1 because 4chen thinks it's spam.
Are a miracle of the universe

nah still dead