How often do you restart your machine?

How often do you restart your machine?

My windows machine can go on for a month and more...

Attached: 1530453403968.png (127x69, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KmdNvD0QfJY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What the fuck are you doing?

Attached: file.png (1673x927, 129K)

Every night. Leaving your computer on when you are not using it is fucking retarded

I don't see a need to leave my linux machine on at all. It boots in 10 seconds so it's k.

i used to do this, too, but you should really be letting your PC get the sleep it needs, too. resetting the caches and RAM after a nice, clean reboot can do a lot of wonders to performance

This. And so is using your personal machine as a server, for that matter.

uma delicia

But that's frogspeak

Well as my machine and screens idle at 400W, I turn it off whenever I'm away from it for more than an hour or two. Costs too much otherwise.

Whenever I sleep or go to work.
Doesn't take long to boot even without an SSD so I don't see the point.

all the time. god bless SSDs

im on 8.1 so just monthly for security updates

I restart it every day, except for the week-end.
Because there's no reason for it to be on, when it take 10 seconds to start.
Used to have it always on when ssds didn't exist and booting was a pain.

>up 58 days, 22:15, 12 users, load average: 1.11, 1.36, 1.37
uwu

But what about muh late night anime downloads! I want it to me able to download while I sleep

whenever it loses power or something

Attached: longe-time.png (601x446, 9K)

also its child:
10:16:57 up 138 days, 1:12, 1 user, load average: 0.46, 0.11, 0.14

My win7 box has been on since october.

Canada or france?
How? Even the shittiest chips from nowadays have total system draw of like 200 under load. Like i9-9900k.

There are quad core intel nucs that idle at

Why the hell do you need to have it running for a month though? Just tell your torrent client to sleep/shut down once everything is finished and leave your computer on overnight once (or use a dedicated seedbox).

Ok i lied, about 6 watts, 4 mins in.

youtube.com/watch?v=KmdNvD0QfJY

I made it to 89 days, rebooted yesterday because I changed my Veracrypt settings slightly. No issues because I run Windows 7.

>get another computer so you can turn your computer off

Attached: 1540933841438.png (702x397, 145K)

>retarded post
>anime reaction image
Well color me flabbergasted.

didnt think that trough did you

Attached: 1548588865239.jpg (500x437, 38K)

Every 2 weeks, mainly for updates that require a reboot.

You should be shutting it down atleast once every month to dust/clean the insides out anyway.

Guys. Use prolonged sleep.
It boots up in less than a second.
And it's reliable now, unlike when they started it.

Why does it use so much wattage? Mine only uses 360W, and that's because I have my server plugged into the UPS which uses about 200W.(24x HDD's + 6x high RPM fans)

Sleep = disabled network activity, making it useless for me. If I'm away, I usually have a long term task running in the background.

>not using your server as a personal machine

Just get a whatever pc with linux and have it running all the time.

I already have a whatever pc with windows running all the time.

I mean, it doesn't have to be your main rig.
Depends on what services you want to run.

Why? Do you not have fast enough internet to download while watching in real time?

Fast boot or wake everyday I use it. Full restart is only for updates/changes that need it.

Every time I sit down to use it. It takes longer for my shitty monitor to register the input signal (about 5 seconds to wake up from "sleep") than it does for my machine to reach a login prompt.

Not him, its kind of a stupid question. Wireless or satellite is the only viable options where I live, wireless/mobile is what we use because it just makes more sense.

Actually, I heard that might cause damage to computers using Linux.

>Because there's no reason for it to be on, when it take 10 seconds to start.
There is on a hardware level as I've heard it effects on not only hard drives, but other components of the motherboard. People always seem to talk about start up surges, but never the release of energy from things like capacitors.

Is there any way a person could reset those without turning the entire motherboard off though? Like turning off isolated parts of the board, or even individual ram slots?

I turn it off every night

So what? Your mb/disks will give up a few hours earlier than they should.
Also, I have my disks off if they don't used past 10 minutes, and sleep mode keeps them shut down on wake up.

>Your mb/disks will give up a few hours earlier than they should.
Has anyone worked out the amount of lifespan preserved from keeping a HDD on? (without touching the computer of course)
On the other hand, if you use complex systems that always log data then I guess it may be wise to turn of the computer instead.

Win 10 users, looking at you.

>2019
>using hdd for system

For all of my machines, when it needs it. Some need it more often than others due to how they get used.

I'm not autistic so I shutdown when I'm not going to use for long periods of time for example at night while I sleep

For most people leaving it on will actually kill it faster thanks to heat and the component not being made to stay on 24/7

I'm not autistic so I don't shoot down unless reboot is required.

never

Attached: getonmylvl.png (913x149, 13K)

I can see how theoretically, if you made such components to cope better with the heat, you could have longer life with a computer running an OS that only writes data when you use it. Data logging/writing caused by imprecise software components and hardware components would become the issue then.

I bet your computer simply doesn't record downtime.

Wooow, that's a lot of uptime.

Attached: Screenshot_20190130_015936.png (579x48, 3K)

>Go to sleep
>Not gonna use PC
>Turn it off

Is it that complicated? Even if I need to torrent a huge file I just let it shutdown when the download completes overnight. Damn thing boots in less than a minute with SSDs too.

schools here give you a F R E E laptop with limited startups so I try to not turn it off at all unless completely necessary

What if your computer is your company's supercomputer?

>F R E E laptop with limited startups
Is this a joke?

Attached: fry sees through your bullshit.jpg (1200x1200, 85K)

no but they take it away unless you do well in school.

>boots in less than a minute
this impresses winbabbies

Attached: machi5.jpg (1920x1080, 158K)

my 9yo PC boots in 14 seconds on win 7
why are linux users so uuhg

Considering a tablet boots in seconds, it's still very slow.

WAIT WHAT

really it's just a way to encourage students to pursue tech related jobs since our shitty country lacks engineers

Which country

I turn my PC off but the CPU keeps ticking when I turn it back on in the morning

Why is that happening?

Argentina
they also come with ubuntu preinstalled, at least mine did.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-01-30 08-55-59.png (1628x1182, 42K)

Once a month usually

you don't update it, right?
nor install any new software, yes?
do you even use it?

also you suck bill gates' balls

The opposite is true. Constant shutdown completely fucks up HDD's and is the main cause of them dying early. Components do well when they're in an environment that doesn't have huge ranges in temperature changes.

I've had my server on with 24x HDD's running non-stop for an entire full year, and not a single one of has died or given any S.M.A.R.T issues yet.

however often it decides to break
which for samba is frequent

es mentira eso de los restarts. Bah la mia anda desde hace 5 years por lo menos y nunca tuve problemas.
Puto

ITT high uptimes are now suddenly a bad thing because Linux toddlers rarely achieve uptimes beyond few hours as is evident in desktop thread screenfetches

Attached: 1547911463094.gif (500x280, 1.25M)

The power flickers off and on about every other week or so.

based

Neck yorself, pedo weeb

I usually just make it sleep until shit start breaking down, then i reset it.

No. But it will lower your daddys powerbill

Whenever I'm not going to use it for several hours and I sleep it if it I'll be away for a short time (>1hr, but it's gonna explode someday
You people think this extends the life so much but I don't think it does enough for me to care. It's like leaving your lights on all the time so they don't blow out.
Not sure if this is b8 but no, the world's favorite server OS is not harmed by long uptimes.

I'm sure my disk has been healthy every since I stopped restarting everyday