Is web development even worth learning?

Is web development even worth learning?
I am a first year cs student at this moment (Eastern Europe) and I have been doing freelance jobs related to front end. Simple apps, converting psd into website, etc. I am learning php and more advanced js frameworks lately. But the thing is I simply don't see any serious jobs related web development. It is like you are hitting a sealing at some point and there is no way for you to get away from competing with pajet, while making websites for 50$.
Getting a 'real' job is simply not an option for me. Jobs here require extensive experience or/and phd. And in the end you wage won't be much higher than my wage is right now.

Attached: 1493590379676.jpg (640x852, 344K)

>Is web development even worth learning?
no
it rots your mind, even though you may make some easy money
it's up to you to decide

Yes it is worth it. Since you are earning money in first semester already, I guarantee you will be successful. I am very happy with my job and I started coding only in third semester and got a job after dropping off my Master's which was a waste of time. Some advice from my life:

1) Learn a real WebDev language: JS (and TS), Python (skip if you want to work only in enterprise companies and never do data engineering) and some Java (Java itself is piss-easy, it is Spring that you need to know)

2) Focus on 1-2 languages/frameworks, do not learn and advertise everything you know, put additional skills only as tags somewhere in your linkedin/XING or resumee. Nobody wants generalists, HR cannot comprehend that some people are just better at everything. They see person A listed X as their first skill while person B has listed it as third, so they will hire person A even if person B will be much more useful to the company. I recommend learning Angular and Spring if you go into enterprise or AWS-Lambda or Node.JS if you go into a startup

3) Move to a western country ASAP. I immigrated from Ukraine to Germany and here in Hamburg we have job ads for developers on the fucking subway and posters on the streets. Some companies pay thousands just for finding a new developer for the team. The demand is unbelievable.

4) Learn some Unix, Docker and K8 or other things as soon as possible. While the demand is high, the payment is not, at least for simple developers - but DevOps and experts at specific technologies (ELK, Data-Science, Security etc) can ask for ridiculous wages as freelancers. Never get stuck in one job for more than a year. Always switch and learn something new and practice what you have learned before in a new environment.

Attached: IMG_0138_Hwy118-West_of_Cardiff.jpg (1200x800, 485K)

Where I live in a metro in the American rust belt, there is a shitton of opportunity but a lot of it is rebuilding very boring stuff because it is cheap to hire developers where I live and they are desparate for an office gig. I suspect where you are in Eastern Europe it is similar.

I'd say if you like what you do, or like making money/being successful/whatever, yeah, it's worth it
is it fun? absolutely not. for me it's the most boring part of CS. I've heard some people are into it, so idk, maybe it works for you
if I wasn't going for something I like and instead focus on making money I'd never go with CS at all
I'm actually from a 3rd world shit hole, but it seems wev development is the same shit all over the world. we're just payed less and build more boring repetitive websites, but it's pretty much the same

You don't have to shit out CSS, there are more aspects to web dev. I was supposedly hired as a frontend dev, and I've barely touched CSS in my work, it mostly involves writing React and a node.js server (with ssr among other things). I think full stack would be a more appropriate title for my job.

Other people take care of writing styles for the design (including my supervisor). It really depends on what you get into, you could even be more of a sysadmin if you picked devops.

While I like writing ECMA-262 to some extent, I'm not sure which exact industry I want to work in in long term.

Just look around and try to look for a job where you do something more involving than converting designs into styles for websites. You can be a "web developer" and spend all your time just writing code, and it doesn't even have to be backend.

Guy from Ukraine here again.

But that is the best part of it. Webdev has lots of resources and industry standards. Even if you have never heard of a technology before, you can find solutions and best practices that somebody else figured out already.

Also, the technology is always changing. Years ago people switched from SOAP to REST, then shit got virtualized and later dockerized, then SPAs like Angular and React replaced PHP and jQuery, then came as-a-Service(AWS and Azure) and nowadays its BigData and Serverless that are making the biggest impact. So you always have a chance to succeed as a young and motivated dev who learns the current buzzword. In other branches (electrical engineering, C/C++ etc) "senior" devs occupy all the good positions and keep the young colleagues at bay

Django Dev here - web dev is easy money and I get to use emacs all day at work.

Attached: emacsnew.png (1024x1024, 153K)

I can see where you're coming from
I still think web dev is boring af
web dev, website development
backend otoh is interesting on various levels depending on the specifics
I refuse to take the redpill and realize I can't always work on what I find interesting, even though I don't dislike enterprise system development as much as web, so I'll probably not hate my job entirely
I currently work a minimum wage job to pay for college, only programming as a hobby, so I don't have any real world experiences except for friends and acquaintances I know that do or job postings and stuff

>job ads for developers on the fucking subway and
>posters on the streets
Hi user, I'm also Ukranian. Buy I can't believe this, I live in Nicosia, Cyprus, and this city is dead for junior jobs: they need php and .net with master degrees. Though it's different in Limassol and demand is high due to the startups, but I can't relocate now. I'm second year student CS.
What do you think about Elixir?

Ceiling, not sealing.
Other than that, your post is 97/100, A+. Great English.

Also, fuck pajeet.

tfw no emacs girl

petsu a cute

Wordpress is not web development. It's barely even programming, you just install a theme and modify it until it matches what you want with CSS.

Yeah. Guaranteed job in the states desu. No one here wants to do it.

I know, southern Europe is terrible for work in general. I live with a flatmate from Spain and I tried to find work there myself, but no luck. Just enjoy your studies and try to work on your social skills. The serious money comes when you graduate, work in a technology hub (in Germany its Hamburg, Berlin, Amsterdam or if you want to stay in southern Europe at least consider Barcelona or something alike) get 2 years of experience and go into freelancing.

Best you can do now is to work on private projects. Try to make a blog, participate at (remote) hackathons, publish apps to Playstore, make some affordable (AWS has student discount I think) certificates. Don't waste your time on PHP garbage unless you need the money for your studies.

Is emacs girl dead? She hasn't been on irc for a while but her bouncer is still connected

god bless helpful posters

Did you learn german before you went to Germany or learned there? I remember that I read somewhere that TI companies don't give a fuck if you talk the local language.

I don't know how you found this picture of my girlfriend, but please stop posting it on this board.

not him but there's enough english speaking people in those companies. especially since its the tech industry. germany is not japan

on another note, how hard is it to get into the industry without a B.Sc. in CS or something similar? anyone done it?