Press F for h264

Attached: file.png (946x318, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A1vD0gvQOMI
thepiratebay.org/search/av1/
anandtech.com/show/13570/the-amd-radeon-rx-590-review/2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Takes 1 millionth the time to encode
AV1 is useless for anyone other than netflix.

>>Takes 1 millionth the time to encode
1- Learn how to write in proper English.
2- It doesn't, stop lying.

fuck off retard. H264 is the predominant video codec and it isn’t going anywhere for a very long time

It does faglord, it's like 1000x HEVC speed and AVC is way the fuck faster than HEVC. Nobody but netflix is going to bother with this garbage. No actual person is going to spend 5 years rendering shit, and even jewgle is only going to encode supergiants' videos in that who are going to get 10 million views a video because it makes no sense to spend 100,000 machine hours encoding some shit video that gets a few thousand views.

Every major company that works with video is behind the push for AV1, h264 will die a quick death.

>It does faglord
It doesn't.

>Nobody but netflix is going to bother with this garbage
Why do retards like you like to talk about things they know nothing about?

Attached: file.png (1088x880, 61K)

>It doesn't
COPE

Attached: av1 lol.png (687x335, 49K)

>H264 isn't going anywhere
Just like DivX and MPEG2, right?

And what do you think overtook them you genius?
>paying for streaming services

Wake me up when even 5% of torrents use your garbage codec

What I mean is that it's going down, just like it's predecessors did.

youtube.com/watch?v=A1vD0gvQOMI
Imagine being this stupid and using outdated information to backup your retarded claims.

In 2 years tops, every new release will be av1.

>Linking a video about DECODING when I'm talking about ENCODING
Nice room temp IQ there sport. You don't even know what's being discussed so shut the fuck up.

You could enable this in previous versions as well.

1000 times slower than HEVC on a single core CPU shortly after the bitstream was frozen back in June (or was it July?) (see ). Some Google employee made claims in October that it's 16 times slower than VP9 (although no numbers to back up that claim).
Yes, AV1 encoding is slow, but the initial release was also only half a year ago.

Do we know how much AV1 saves compared to AVC for high bitrate encodes? I only know it's a little bit better when it comes to lossless intra compression.

Sure, like they're all HEVC now.

x265 has only just recently passed x264 's quality in high bitrate encodes. AV1 likely never will.
Big corporations care about royalty fees. Big corporations care about bandwidth costs. AV1 is a computationally expensive codec created for "Encode Despacito once, stream it 5 billion times." Google doesn't care if it has to throw $1,000 worth of CPU time at it when it saves them millions in hosting and millions in royalty fees, and they don't care about getting it to transparency where you're throwing twice the bitrate at it to get the last 10% improvement in quality.

HEVC will almost certainly be the king of everything that isn't streaming.

>x265 has only just recently passed x264 's quality in high bitrate encodes.
Can't say I noticed that yet with v2.9.

Those are ancient faggot, welcome back to 1999.

Attached: 002.jpg (1133x1197, 431K)

H.264 is ancient too, it was standardized in 2003.

Lol, what will all the poor fags with raspberry Pi's and all the other faggots with ARM based media players do then? They need hardware accelerated codecs or else they can't even play 720p videos, those CPU's are barely more powerful than an original Xbox from 2001.

>Those are ancient
So is H264, dipshit.

>Lol, what will all the poor fags with raspberry Pi's and all the other faggots with ARM based media players do then?
Who cares about dumb poorfags who got memed into buying underpowered shit.
They can't even play high bitrate h.264.

They will buy the successors to those PCs. It's not like they're expensive or something.

Save the planet an limit e-waste by using H264 you whore.

Not the other guy but that's not a 1000000x diference

>1FPS encodes
Yes, very cool.

kek

Attached: 014.jpg (413x395, 19K)

sure thing kid

>wont have hardware support for years
yikes and oof

Good. We need to shill AV1 very hard in order for hardware companies to include HW accelerated encoding/decoding.

They'll do it anyways if netflix and youtube say they want to use it on their platforms

YES! YES! YES!

They are already on board though. 2020 you'll probably start seeing hardware support.

Wow! New encoding! I want to watch a movie with it.

> thepiratebay.org/search/av1/

Why do people care about encoding or even worse compilation times?
You do encoding, what?, once per clip. So fucking what if you get less size, same quality and a fast low resource demanding decoding algorithm?
Wasn't the argument against gpu encoding that "it's fast but produces worse results than cpu".
Anyhow, the algorithm is early on its dev cycle.

Database maintenance, please check back in 10 minutes. 12

Jow Forums(nel) support when?

I swear in 2-3 years HEVC will be comfy vaporware and /our/ encoder by Jow Forums standards

There's a certain pace to human work. We don't work well beyond a certain time scale.
I've done encodes that took 10 days, and let me tell you it's pretty annoying to not be able to get anything else done. Anything much longer than overnight and you're getting into "this is holding me up" territory.
AV1 encoding is measured in months.

Never. We haven't even got VP9 support even though every notable browser except safari has supported it for years now.

AV1 is being backed by (((EVERYONE))), it will be unavoidable.

False equivalency, VP9 was only pushed by googlenet.

See

>False equivalency, VP9 was only pushed by googlenet.
And VP8 wasn't?

"one millionth" is grammatically and semantically correct.

And no one uses VP8 besides google.
You can't be this retarded, please tell me you are pretending to not understand my point.

>And no one uses VP8 besides google.
You are the one missing the point. Do tell me what codec Jow Forums currently uses for webm. Then explain why we don't yet have VP9.

Oh so webp has finally reached your browser?
Good, I see you're starting to catch-up, keep up the good work, maybe one day you will be as good as chromium.

I'll stick with having real ad block over being late to the party of adopting an format nobody is using at the moment.

>x265 has passed x264 quality
i doubt it. x265 reeks of pajeetware.

You know Jow Forums(nel) uses vp8 for webms right?

Inb4 jabbascript av1 encoders running in people browsers like bitcoin miners.

>HURR DURR Jow Forums USES IT SO ITS POPULAR
Did you go to a communist school of debate?
Like i said, no one uses VP8-9, and after today no one will.

Love it, hate it, have snarky dismissive reasons why you think it won't happen, doesn't fucking matter. They're going to make it happen regardless of all that to get out of paying royalties. It will surely improve, how much? Fuck if I know. They don't give a shit about your pirated 10 bit x264 anime or your collection of blu ray rips. This is about saving money on feeding streaming content to the normie hordes.

YouTube uses it extensively. It's the largest platform of it's kind in the entire world. You shouldn't post any more replies because you're a clueless fuckwit and your attempts to sound authoritative on the subject fall flat.

You shoild read the thread since it was alll about Jow Forums support.
You didn't answer my question. If Jow Forums supports VP8 then why doesn't it support VP9.

>After today no one will
Nigger Youtube still has videos in H264, VP9 content is going to be around for a very long time.

>and after today no one will.
Is hiro going to remove webm support?

Cable TV still uses MPEG2

You know that millionth means "a million times less" right?

It is, but it's the total opposite from what he was intending to say.

So does OTA TV in the US and they are still making DVDs. They only use it because their standards give no other option. Comcast has already migrated their systems to H264 though.

>Press f for h264
>[h264] takes a millionth the time to encode

Attached: 4c9.png (645x729, 113K)

Care to elaborate?

He was talking about av1
3/10 bait

>it was alll about Jow Forums support.
No it isn't.

>VP9 content is going to be around for a very long time.
Nope.

>user thinks he knows what I was talking about with my post better than I do
Okay.

Look at the chain.
Guy replied to op asked about Jow Forums support I said it isn't going to happen be because hiro can't even be bothered to support VP9 Then you jump in and act retarded.

it will on webm memesites

Yeah I'm sure Youtube is going to transcode all the trillion VP9 videos they right now at a rate of 0.003 FPS and they'll be done in no time.

Yep. People still use gif videos even today so webm clips people have lying around aren't going anywhere for a long time.

he's right and you'd know this if you'd actually tried using AV1. there's a fucking huge difference between waiting 3 hour and a month for a video to encode. AV1 isn't practically usable for anything.

>h264 will die a quick death
It won't. Widespread AV1 use is optimistically 3-5 years into the future. Meanwhile VP9 is a realistic alternative, there's hardware decoding support in a lot of things (Android SOCs, Intel CPUs, NVidia GPUs, NOT supported by most AMD GPUs for some reason).

>HW accelerated encoding/decoding
AV1 will have a chance if/when GPUs (or CPUs/APUs) get hardware encoding support, not before. Which is tricky, current hardware encoders produce lower quality than software encoders (for HEVC, anyway). This is the simple truth.

AV1 encoding in software is way too slow and comparing it with earlier codecs slower encoding times is stupid, it does not apply. If a video takes two hours to encode with one codec and two and a half with another than that's bad. If it takes 3 hours it's not good. Four hours, which is twice the encoding time, is very bad. But four hours doesn't rule it out and put it in the are you kidding me category. AV1 is beyond that, if it's two hours or a day it's disqualified and with AV1 we're talking two hours or a month.

That's why your post is retarded dude, you're the only one that reads it the way you think you said it

>NOT supported by most AMD GPUs for some reason).
anandtech.com/show/13570/the-amd-radeon-rx-590-review/2
AMD uses a modular design for each of the parts of their GPUs, they been reusing the same designs for half a decade now.

You're a dipshit

yes it sucks to have a re-re-rebrandeon GPU which can't into VP9 hardware decoding. interestingly it's possible to do GPU assisted VP9 decoding with the binary blob driver on Polaris cards (which isn't the same thing but it's done on GPU).

Attached: polaris-cant-decode-vp9.jpg (1537x1047, 284K)

can it play on c2d like x264? if not i don't want it

those were standartised even earlier fagget, like in 1995

> (((davi1d)))

this , the av1 is useless for the home user and the needed computation outweighs the cheaper storage, it's useless for anyone but yt

I get 2 fps on my X220 encoding x264 1080p. Under 1 fps for x265. I drop frames decoding x265 1080p. AV1 is dead in the water.

For some reason, even at high bitrate (0.6x+ bitrate of x264 encode), HEVC doesn't preserve grain, leading to loss of fine detail.

Nice to see amlogic on the list, hw av1 decoding on my cheap chink kodi boxes when? It was already badass enough that I got 4k VP9 decoding on a $30 box.

For you it is. You're not the target audience lol. The people responsible for AV1 don't give a single fuck about you.

The target audience is consumers. You can't stream Netflix 4k without hardware DRM baked into the CPU + Windows. All the while encode quality is worst than a Bluray.

How many people are watching Netflix on PCs? Again they don't give a shit about that. They will happily serve those people H264, HEVC, VP9 or whatever else instead. When HW decoding support matures and mobile/embedded devices most normies use for streaming have it they will save a lot of fucking money by using it. If you think Netflix cares about quality being worse than a bluray you've never seen any of their sub 4K encodes.

>"OY VEY, x265 BAD, SHUT IT DOWN, stop using it stupid goym, here take this free (((av1))) codec. You won't be able to encode anyway"

Attached: 2019-01-30-10:34:38-screenshot-cropped.png (993x995, 222K)

What tracker? I love leeching off Ru trackers and muxing out the Russian audio.

rutor [dot] info

The problem with x265 is that it's a licensing mess hence video hosting / streaming service companies aren't adopting it

hooray for tech advancements!
now we need a fucking supercomputer to finish encoding on a reasonable time!

>licensing mess
it's not like someone who's putting a BlueRay rip on a torrent site is going to pay license fees.

Those fees aren't all that of a big deal for some of the players, btw. It's not your biggest concern if you're adding hardware decoding and specially encoding support to a SoC. Sure, it's a cost, but it's not that much relatively speaking.

>Those fees aren't all that of a big deal for some of the players, btw.
Big enough for them to push something like AV1.

I'm quoting numbers I found on google for H264 here:
Paid Content Distributers (title-by-title sales):
$0.02 per title sold (no fee for content 12min or less)

Paid Content Distributers (subscription based service):
0 - 100,000 Subscribers = no royalty
100,001 - 250,000 Subscribers during the year = $25,000 250,001 - to 500,000 Subscribers during the year = $50,000
500,000 - 1,000,000 Subscribers during the year = $75,000
>1,000,000 Subscribers during the year = $100,000

Live/Rebroadcasting of Content
Either a or b:
a) one time $2500 fee for every stream encoder used
b) An anual fee based on broadcast market size:
Broadcast market of 0-99,999 = no royalty
Broadcast market of 100,000-499,999 = $2,500 per year
Broadcast market of 500,000-999,999 = $5,000 per year
1,000,000 or more = $10,000

This is the type of thing they're trying to avoid rather than anything to do with hardware. It's highly likely future hardware will retain support for h264/hevc due to their ubiquity and still pay licensing fees. This is more about the streaming industry avoiding the royalty fees associated with content distribution.

Those fees are absolutely insane and a good reason to use AV1. I did write "some of the players" and those fees don't matter if you're Mediatek and you're designing a SoC for cellphones. Of course they very much do matter if you're Netflix or Alphabeth/YouTube.

One small little detail of interest regarding those license fees, btw: MPEG-LA will seize all communications if you answers their demand for a license fee if you point out that Europe doesn't have software patents and ask if they can point to _any_ patent or law that applies in Europe.

>paying for media
AV1 is trash, why would I care about muh licensing fees when all my content is pirated anyways and h265 is clearly the superior technology

When the media pirated from such platforms you want to watch comes in AV1 it will matter for you. By then you'll probably be due for some hardware upgrades and such. Or you'll be curry and watch shitty transcodes. Up to you really.

If you are pirating the content is already encoded and thus the long encoding times are irrelevant. So what is the main complaint, then?

He's saying the only benefit is the lack of licensing fees which he doesn't have to pay anyway.

But an increasing amount of pirated content is sourced from streaming platforms. While they will continue to support H264, HEVC, etc they'll likely gimp the quality as they move forward with AV1. So either you get with the times or get left behind. But we're at least a couple years off from all that, pic related.

Attached: 12_AOMedia_AV1_Adoption_Timeline.jpg (1998x1125, 96K)

Is the picture quality that bad in av1? I thought they were very confident at besting hevc pictures at similar bitrates.

Such is the life of a retard