AMD Opteron 6386 SE

This is the AMD Opteron 6386 SE.
It is the most performant x86 processor not to have a backdoor-spying-botnet chip in it like PSP or IME.
It performs the same as Intel's [email protected] in multithreaded tasks.
It has 16 cores on 8 modules.
It is capable of working on quad socketed motherboards, potentially quadrupling its performance.
It is on DDR3 and can use both ECC and non ECC sticks.
What is your excuse for not having these as your desktop CPUs?

Attached: ADFR_1317219630582275106e3IOLM6hy.jpg (640x480, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_eSAF_qT_FY
developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/12/AMD_Memory_Encryption_Whitepaper_v7-Public.pdf
developer.amd.com/wp-content/resources/55766.PDF
ebrary.net/24869/computer_science/secure_technology
freundschafter.com/cybersecurity-cpu-and-system-alternatives-without-intel-me-iamt-and-amd-psp-secure-technology/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>single thread performance of a Kaby [email protected]

That has a backdoor, and needs proprietary microcode to initiate the "cores".

If you don't do virtualizations, you don't need the microcode updates according to liberboot website - although they strongly recommend against it and suggest using a 6200 series Opteron.
Then don't use it for gaymen and soiscript? This thread's point is to show a privacy respecting high performance CPU.

>like PSP
You fucking idiot, psp is a crypto core, you give it data and a key and it encodes them.
It doesn't spy on you, it's not exposed to the network, it's there for when you need to sandbox vms and secure your data.

Yeah and stores the key for later use

I had a pair of 6220s in a Supermicro H8DG6-F from an eBay business liquidation firm....and got rid of them and the board and now wish I'd kept them.

Later use? You mean the constant w/r from programs like emulation software? How is it supposed to encrypt or decrypt you vm's mem pages if it doesn't have the key stored?
You fucking idiots will claim that cache memories are botnet because when you turn off the pc, the data are not deleted.
I am realizing slowly that nobody here has any fucking clue about anything.
Consumerism threads, battle station threads, watch threads and ofc speccy threads. That's the only right thing (You) can do here.

>emulation
Or (better)virtualization if you don't use bochs and use something like vmware

They are strongly against it, because the x3xx series microcode is needed to initiate the cores, and cannot work without them.

PSP is a CPU, and no one knows what it does not even amd (because it's not their product).

>What is your excuse for not having these as your desktop CPUs?
My phenom II x6 at 4ghz is also botnet-free and faster for my workloads

I don't use it because the tdp of the 6386 is 140w and 16 cores at 2.8 performs like my FX-8350 at 4.5, which also doesn't deal with botnet.

The PSP is basically just an HSM w/ extra VM-support features. The chances its also some spooky backdoor are pretty minimal. If you are worried about having some network packet from the WAN trigger your PSP into taking over your machine, I recommend learning basic network and firewall configuration skills. If you put a PC behind a copper wire interface and you can guarantee nothing naughty goes down that wire by any means, you can pretty reliably avoid any sort of botnetting trigger mechanism that would be plausible for mass-scale compromise. Whitelist only hosts you trust, shithole everything else. That is always a good start if you are serious about this. People rarely are though, because it's incredibly inconvenient.

How do you know what it's capable of?

What is the most nightmarish scenario you can come up with that is also remotely plausible? I am legitimately curious.

An arm processor that I have no control over is put in my CPU, and nobody really knows what it does is pretty nightmare scenario.

What's the actual bad thing that happens?

So far it's known to collect data, and has been exploited to obtain passwords, search data, and etc.
Is that more of a pleasant surprise, or a good thing to you you glow in the dark.

>So far it's known to collect data, and has been exploited to obtain passwords, search data, and etc.
So are you going to talk out of your ass or are you going to put up sources?

>So are you going to talk out of your ass or are you going to put up sources?
Google is the source.
And do you know what PSP does, or are you going to talk out your ass about it, because there literally are no sources available.

Not that user, but here's an example of an undocumented co-processor.

youtube.com/watch?v=_eSAF_qT_FY

The PSP or whats it's been renamed to AMD Secure Processor does secure memory encryption, firmware trusted platform module and secure encrypted virtualization, only 2 really need AMD specific documentation as the firmware TPM just amounts to a built in TPM
developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/12/AMD_Memory_Encryption_Whitepaper_v7-Public.pdf
developer.amd.com/wp-content/resources/55766.PDF

We all know that it's band's implementation of arm's trust zone, but what does the soc do, and why is it there?
Can you break NDA to tell us?

The SoC is where the shit listed is the post you replied gets executed and the SoC itself uses trustzone to secure those operations
ebrary.net/24869/computer_science/secure_technology

Maybe you just don't understand what anons are saying, or you're purposely being obtuse for (((reasons))).

The hell do you want from me then?
anons wanna jabber on about how nobody really knows what the PSP does and I'm posting what the PSP does and the documentation for it's functions and guess what it's not some purpose built spying device and has it's usefulness in enterprise

anyone have a list of pre-2013 AMD CPUs that don't have PSP?

freundschafter.com/cybersecurity-cpu-and-system-alternatives-without-intel-me-iamt-and-amd-psp-secure-technology/
A10-6800K is the "fastest". Slightly better multithreaded performance than i3-3250, ie it is shit.

This isn't looking at FX-8xxx CPUs at all
The FX-9590 housefire would be the fastest consumer CPU without PSP and the fastest one on single thread performance
iirc MiniFree or someone similar sold a FX-8350K build with all the freedom stuff like Libreboot

lmao these cpus were shit when they were new
tricking someone into buying these would make you a meme master

Attached: and slammed in the back of my dragula.jpg (1227x1430, 346K)

I really fucking wish AMD didn't put that shit on their consumer CPUs all for "enterprise" use
then they make a fucking special line of enterprise 'PRO' CPUs

Attached: 1539749911048.webm (480x480, 363K)

Tell than to the 9th fastest supercomputer in the world which has Opterons and Teslas. They used to be the fastest back in 2012. They sure got tricked into buying them.

Because it's a mediocre chip. Not as performant as modern day servers and too latent and slow for single-core tasks (web browsing included).

My next desktop CPU's going to be a POWER9 processor

How will you run anything on it?

Alt+Space, type program name, Return

Yeah but are you seriously going to compile every single piece of software?

No, just the stuff not available as packages.

So generally speaking, what's your setup plan? BSD? Linux? Gentoo?

A Linux distro (not sure which yet) as a type 1 hypervisor for BSD and Linux guests

Why not bare metal?

Because OpenBSD doesn't support it yet

That's interesting. By the way, what do you think about a bare boned linux distro hosting an OS entirely on ramdisk?

It'd be neat but a niche use case

So any tips on this? GPU passthrough or what's best?

Use a modified liveCD and just pump it full of whatever.

Use grub "toram" parameter.

Hmm but I'm trying to run windows in a VM. Always some brats that screw up windows and the dean wants me to use windows because of microsoft imagine program.

in terms of binning or die quality, could you push a 85W 6366 HE (1.8/2.3/3.1) to the same clocks as a 140W 6386 SE (2.8/3.2/3.5) with less power?

Attached: Opteron 6300.png (1227x536, 52K)

You can use winPE for that one.
Loads purely to RAM, same deal as linux liveCD but much more of a pain to setup and edit.

You can add QEMU-KVM to your liveCD and load in a winePE image to run simultaneously from that RAM loaded liveCD.

Since it's going to be my desktop OS I'll definitely be using GPU passthrough, going to pick up one of the newest gen FirePro / Radeon Pro cards supported.

Is there any online database which shows whether CPU model has PSP or not? I wonder if my A10-5700 has it

Anything after bulldozer I believe.
You're fine.

PSP isn't quite the same as the IME IIRC.

Thanks ,thats awesome.

The motherboards cost too much. For the price of just a motherboard you can get an AM3 board with an FX8350

are there G34 mobos confirmed working with coreboot?

>For the price of just a motherboard you can get an AM3 board with an FX8350
... and a backdoor

Most likely no. Lower clocked versions of CPUs are always from low quality dies that can't handle high clocks in a stable manner.
this meant for this

What's the proof the FX series are backdoored?
Seriously, why does nobody ever post source?

The AMD FX8000 chips are so based, clock it to 4.6ghz on one core per module and you get an i7 920 with only 4 threads.

Why disable cores? Wouldn't 8 cores with 4 FPUs still be better than 4 cores with 4 FPUs?

8 cores and 4 fps is 70 percent faster, but if you're into single core performance, cranking up the clock speed to 4.6 4.7, which can be done on air with 4 cores running, gets very good single core performance for games that canteverage 8 threads.

Of course I leave mine on 8 cores because I render video.

> What is your excuse for not having these as your desktop CPUs?
I like backdoors.

Cant leverage***

could you do that on an Opteron?

I know there are bulldozer based Opterons with modules, but I don't know if the boards can enable one core per CU