What would be the best programming language to head into as a novice with no programming knowledge or experience?

What would be the best programming language to head into as a novice with no programming knowledge or experience?

Attached: 1_jd8ZKUWtY1AOMwz2CvZG8A.jpg (1080x675, 127K)

Honestly something like Python or Javascript.
But if you ever try to bring that shit into my production backend services I will fucking kill you.

literally javascript

Python, pirate "Automate the boring stuff with python"

>oh look another "Learn To Code"er
fuck off we're full

Attached: 1548830037356.png (538x711, 88K)

Excel. Seriously, a huge amount of office work automation can be done with Excel if people just bothered to learn. The language is simple, all the data is readily seen, and it's immediately useful for whatever shit office job you're doing.

If you pick up Excel with ease, and dive into the really weird, underutilized parts of Excel and use those parts to solve real problems you're running into in your daily life or at work, you probably have a mind for programming and you could start with any well documented language and become a decent programmer.

Why pirate? You can read an online version for free.

FreePascal with Geany

none of that sounds awful
this person is just angry he doesn't have any hobbies or creative outlets, or even a meaningful reason to live other than to work.

If you don't know what you want to do with coding then javascript or python because they are the most user friendly. If you want to try out different languages you could try modding games. I've exposed myself to many new languages by modding games and usually the devs have everything you need already made so you don't have to get over the hurdle of coding from scratch.

Scheme with SICP. Do not believe pythonistas and webdevs.

c
learn the right way first before you start learning the fast/easy ways i.e. java, c#, javascript

brainfuck

OCaml

pdf is more convenient

Is choosing programming language even relevant for a novice? I don't see how can you choose "wrong" language as a beginner. Prove me wrong.

You can also start with PowerPoint, it's a great introduction to UI systems and a great way to learn signal based programming.

lisp

JavaScript.

Assembler

gentoo

C# or Python

Every startup ever uses Python or JS on the backend and they're doing fine.

isnt that basically what node is? Why is it bad? The idea of using one language for front and backend sounds cool

Brainfuck

If you want to discover algorithmics, Ada may be a good idea: it's easy to write and read thanks to a strong typing and clear syntax.

If you prefer a more common language, I'd say try Python

Avoid Javascript at all cost of course

Bingo

>avoid javascript
>loses eligibility for 2/3 of cs jobs

awk

Unironically C is a great language to learn about programming and computers in general. Though I wouldn't program everything in it. The down side is its steep learning curve, the need to understand computer memory fairly in depth, and the fact that you will probably end using another language for a lot of the development you wind up doing.

Another good option is Python. It has a gentler learning curve and their are more places looking to use Python than C. The downside is there is a lot of magic / abstractions that hide the implementation details in Python. Plus you will need to learn a lot of stuff to properly manage a Python development environment like virtual environments and Python's package system.

Just use cython

C

Get a soul

Dont need to pirate, you can donwload that book for free + video lessons that go along.
I'd recommend the hardcopy to highlight shit and scribble in it. It's good stuff.

> prove me wrong
Picking a language that would be too complex/burns you out

C and JS are both good answers. I'd recommend C then do the MDN web course which will get you a good understanding of JS / the web.

Python->Lisp/Haskell->Java->C/C++

>brainfuck or any code golf language

Assembler. No really.
>You'll see just how fucking shit those meme languages really are.

Guys i'm new to coding and just started with C++ a day ago, i'm going to be slowly reading a bunch of these books starting with

>2014 - Programming Principles and Practice Using C Plus Plus

I figured if I learn a bunch of C++ I can transition to C# much easier if I need to, am I retarded?

Attached: books.png (264x433, 12K)

Yes you are

Python+Java/Javascript then try a bit of C afterwards.

i 'learned to code' and instead of applying at the soulsucking jobs that this idiot and you apparently believe are the only options, i applied to non-tech industry companies who give a shit about work/life balance and i'm happy as hell. i suggest everyone take this approach (everyone who isn't an autistic loser like you)

Java
Simply because mooc.fi is the single best learning ressource I've ever encountered.

Imagine being a Tumblr leftist who complains that you can work from home.

Attached: found it.png (502x253, 10K)

Don't listen to anyway else here.

Your first language should be C. Very old and low level which will force you to learn certain aspects of programming. Many other languages are adaptations of C, knowing C makes it easier to learn these other languages (d, c++, c#, objective c, rust, Java, etc).

programming is hard capped by IQ
even the shitty kind of programming done by pajeets requires 100IQ+

Start with something limited and simple like Excel or Solidity
For your own good don't do this

Why this image? Do you really think that RoR, VS, Sublime, Atom are programming languages, do you know the difference between a text editor, a framework and a programming language are, fuck, why HTML is on this image?

dont do this to yourself
youre not going to grasp it correctly simply because you lack context for the more complex ideas

noones going to listen to me here but I'd learn it like this, now knowing what I know

C#/Java -> C -> Scala/Haskell

Attached: 1464771350963.png (295x229, 92K)

I scrolled through post history. He seems to like to look down on engineers for being stupid despite proclaiming he is bad at math. He thinks he has refined taste in film because he's a Tarantino fan. His vast knowledge of music empowers him to make fun of Weezer and their fans. He definitely seems like an edgy faux intellectual, probably in highschool or college and thinks studying humanities makes him really deep and interesting.

Lisp or FORTH

Attached: sicp1450651227519-1.gif (511x494, 9K)

have fun making bloated unreadable code for simple programs
and making no money
and hating yourself

The world is full of bloatware, this site is bloatware. Your computer is probably bloatware. Your keyboard is probably bloatware, you're probably bloatware.
We don't need more bloatware.

C, then Java for the classes, then whatever you want/need.

>python of you wanna go the easy route
>lisp if you wanna go the sicp route
>java if you wanna go the university route
>c if you wanna go the frustrating route
>javascript if you wanna go the webdev route

c you will learn the most but itll take the longest

python will be the quickest but youll learn the least

lisp you'll have to learn another language once youre done with the sicp textbook but itll give you a solid intro cs background

java is a good middle ground because its pretty easy to learn and you'll have less trouble transitioning to other languages, plus you have the benefit of having a ton of undergrad material available to you since pretty much every student in the world learns java in school

javascript is a clusterfuck but you're gonna have to learn it eventually because you're gonna do something web related eventually

sepples causes brain damage. learn haskell first

Unironically this

this
start with C and then go some modern OOP language like C#/Java/Python