Should i spend $70 on this + power supply + case + sd card, or to something else with my money?

Should i spend $70 on this + power supply + case + sd card, or to something else with my money?

Attached: 770A5842-1612x1080.jpg (1612x1080, 146K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Fheaven-Adapter-Connector-Connect-Samsung/dp/B01N5Q90XB
gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_562952.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dude playing snes games for the 100th time lmao

orange pi is a better choice.

>chinese botnet
Meh

what are you gonna do with it user

I thought these $35 what the fuck

definitely something else. I fell for the meme and currently have mine listed on ebay

they are. it's just that some people want them to look pretty and have a dedicated power plug instead of using a USB cable.

you should spend $20 on a used one because you know it'll go straight into the drawer never to see the light of day again

Or they live in europe... (50 evro here)

Just plug the USB cable into a phone charger adapter

You should get one of these amazon.com/Fheaven-Adapter-Connector-Connect-Samsung/dp/B01N5Q90XB if you're going to get the 7 inch screen. That way you can plug into a car cigarette lighter ( with 3.4 amps of raw USBC power ) and not get the undervoltage icon popping up or or it not working at all. Most 2.4 amp usb power supplies don't even power that setup up, and the ones that do get undervoltages. This is true even if you use 2 seperate 2.4 amp supplies, one for the screen and one for the pi. The pi needs more than 2.4 amps.

yeah even tablet chargers top at like 2A, so with two power hungry USB devices you will be using either it's nominal power which results in extreme heat and shortens the adapter's life or you will need more power than it can provide which will cause the Pi to start resetting in a loop

please leave

yes

>$70
Buy the case from China for $2.
It's just plastic.

>Should i spend
For what do you want to use your Pi?
It's pretty nice as a media center, console emulator or a small hardware firewall.

BUT the Raspberry Pi 4 should be announced soon, so wait a bit.

good hardware, but shit software. Don't expect any updates or security fixes.

You could use it for Kodi LibreElec or something if you get bored and watch streams or local media

There are so many uses for these. If you get one you won't be sorry.

Used optiplex with 3rd gen i5/4gb is

Didn't they announced some time ago that they basically reached perfection with 3 and won't be making any new Pi es? Hm...

Depends on two factors.
1: How much money you have
2: What you intend to do with it

I wouldn't spend $70 on a single pi, no.

>reached perfection with 3
>perfection
I don't know, where you heard this, but that's wrong. If they won't release any new platforms, they will just get bankrupt. Do you think anybody in one decade would buy a RPi 3, because it's "perfect"?

(You)

>own RPi3B+
>make octopi
>It's a bitch to adjust settings on the fly so go back to repurposed PC with Cura + Pronterface
>make kodi
>smartphone remote software is all shit and the experimental 3rd party mod for amazon prime doesn't work
>make rc tank
>Arduino does it better
>make desktop
>already have other PCs and don't need it
>make NAS
>the Cubietruck I bought in 2014 is still kickin' & does it better with gigabit ethernet and a built in SATA port
At the very least I guess I saved a few dollars by printing it's case instead of buying one. Maybe I'll turn it into a web server next just for shits & giggles, but I'm running out of practical ideas.

i use it as my main computer because its slow and doesnt allow for the video games

Attached: raspberry pi.png (670x514, 260K)

>good hardware, but shit software
What are you talking about? Linux is Linux.

Have archlinuxarm on my orangePi

> I started learning X programming language, what fun projects can I do with it, Jow Forums?
> Ok, Jow Forums, I finally installed arch. Now what?
> I rented a VPS Jow Forums, what can I use it for?
well guess what time it is

Where!
Its 30 here and tech is usually more expensive than in the rest of Europe

They said it's a 3 year product senpai

OP here, in Europe (Bulgaria) it is sold for like $46, and with all the other shit you need to use it like a white man, it reaches $70.

Resellers just add their share.

I'd like to point out that there exists these general purpose power supplies. Pic related is 7A and you have more freedom with wire lengths and plug types. These cost around $10.
Phone chargers are a bit borderline on the supplied current.

Attached: IMG_20190130_184017.jpg (4000x3000, 1.2M)

>go on craigslist
>search "desktop pc"
>find a full desktop pc + screen + kb + mouse for like 20 bucks
>spend 50 bucks on whatever upgrades you want

yes but then how do you make cool embedded projects and robots. How do you get the support that comes with a raspberry pi like raspberry pi stack exchange and the thousands of tutorials dedicated to rpi. How do you get to experience all the glory of physical computing and LED's etc. these things are priceless for kids and even boomers who are just starting learning computing.

Attached: pi-plug-in.gif (842x596, 234K)

nope

>Linux is Linux.
Nope. There are closed-source drivers, which never get updates.

Just look at MTK smartphones. You can't (except you reverse the drivers) just upgrade the phones yourself, because you don't have the sources of them. You are tied to the manufacturer and you can only hope, they update it for you.

OrangePis are based on shitty MTK CPUs. Don't except any updates.

get an odroid c2 instead

What do you use that RPI for?

Well yes, the HDMI doesn't work without some kernel tricks that are beyond me.
But otherwise the thing is running on stock Arch Linux.

Rather not say. Nothing fancy or anything normal PC couldn't do. It's just being small and low power computer.
Compiling kernel for ARM and tinkering with u-boot was new and "fun" too.

Lel no support for that shit, Literally pi zero is better opt.

Instead of case, buy a 3.5 inch tft screen and a small wireless keyboard.

I'm planning to run it headless with anyway (with my rtl-sdr dongle to stream a local radio frequency online), but the case is like $4, not a problem. The extra money come from the SD card and power supply, because i don't have anything that provides 2.5 A, my tablet charger is 2A. It will run fine with 2A (no keyboard, mice) if it was not the rtl-sdr dongle which is pretty power hungry.

Was trying to decide to get one of these or a Rock64 to stuff in an old portable TV. Deciding factor is support for Component video, which Rock64 may or may not have. I've found conflicting information on comparison websites and I haven't found any end users talking about it, so I'm still not sure.
Jesus Christ, clean up already.

depends what you want it for

>There are closed-source drivers
Where? The thing doesn't come with software.

Skip the case

>something else with my money?
yes, get a random intel tv box instead.
way more powerful and around the same price.
gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_562952.html

Yes go to aliexpress and buy yourself a handful of sensors and a few arduinos. I guarantee you you'll have more fun.

Attached: HmIymkD.png (341x555, 221K)

I was looking at the official website for the raspberry pi and I saw they had listed two different variants of the 3 series, 3A+ and 3B+. What is the difference between these two boards besides the A+ being a larger form factor? Does one have more USB ports than the other or something? Also, say for example I wanted to set something up like a PiHole or an emulation box, how hard would that be to do for someone who's never fooled with this kind of stuff before?

>How hard would that be
just follow the instructions

So I have RPI with a bunch of sensors and tested/deved them all

I need to make PLC type software ... read sensors and do x and y.

I'm going to use NodeJS but not really sure

Attached: 1538626684932.jpg (600x397, 30K)