Is C++ the best option for game development or is this Rust thing for real?

Is C++ the best option for game development or is this Rust thing for real?

Attached: Snap16.jpg (640x480, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1089286703817412608
github.com/ThePhD/sol2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Let's see what the game dev man has to say...
twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1089286703817412608

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-30 John Carmack on Twitter.png (615x528, 59K)

is that game Ceaser 2?

You will find a lot of support by game engines when it comes to C++ than rust.
Unless you want to make your own game engine like a madman.
Rust just solves problems that were already solved IMO.

Patrician taste in games although I prefer Tropico (the original) myself

Attached: tropico04.jpg (1280x1024, 879K)

Let's see if the game man releases anything in it.

Attached: fuckinglol.jpg (474x590, 29K)

That depends. If you're writing an AAA game, then C++ is the only option. If not, there's no reason not to use C#.

>not making games in your own programming language in 2019

Attached: 2784075-jon+blow+2015.1+cropped.jpg (538x640, 68K)

just use C++ as if it was C with classes and that's all you'll need for gaymes

>Implementing a language for 10 years, release some shit-tier sobokan replicate, nobody buys it. Nobody uses the language.
Seems legit productive way to waste time.

>Rust
No a single case study, so who fucking knows.

Why are there no city building games this good any more?

templates are much more useful than classes. in fact I find classes to be just structs on steroids. inheritance etc is garbage.

c++ c# and mostly LUA for the game logic themselves

Excessive focus on topics like SSAO and Chromatic hah-bi-dah-blah. Very little focus on actual game mechanics.

Rust is a meme. C++ is garbage. Use good ol' C.

ok kid

It depends what you want to really do. Making an engine is something you would do in C++, C and Rust should be a contender here as well.
All of the main game logic you wouldn't really want to write in a low level language though.

>All of the main game logic you wouldn't really want to write in a low level language though.
Thinking some more about it, I don't even think that the idea of Rust's borrow checker is even compatible with how you'd make a game. Imagine an RTS. There is a unit on screen, what is it owned by? Imagine to units are instructed to attack a target and thus they move towards it. Who is the owner?
Of course I never programmed anything in Rust
but it seems like you'd really want a high level language with a GC for the game logic. Imagine expecting your fellow game developers to understand issues like concurrency and lifetimes, and how Rust tackles those.

>2918
>implementing your own vector

Attached: seinstanza.jpg (823x549, 109K)

You need object orientation and not pointers
If Java is good enough for Minecraft OOP is good enough for games

No matter what language, for relationships between game objects you almost always use weak references, often just indices. You don't want a unit to not be destroyed just because something is targeting it. Ownership might be as shallow as having all game objects owned by a single collection, or maybe splitting it up into multiple collections for different types.

>Need More Plebs!!!
Try a Macfag thread.

Unsubtle

Sure an engine in c++ is a good idea, but write your game logic in Lua or python

whats the point of splitting your project into multiple languages?
Making the everything using C++ is less hard than having to implement bindings for those stupid languages

>talks about patrician taste

nigga, I evict patricians from their palazzos

Attached: patrician.png (800x600, 585K)

>decorations
My nigga. Once I'm militarily superior I always decorate the shit out of my city to send a message to others that yes, I could have an army twice as powerful, but I choose to build statues plant some motherfucking trees instead.

not him, but the typical use-case is having an actual team with designers who will want to rapidly prototype without having to wait for new builds

because some languages are more human-readable than others, apart from the obvious fact that different languages have different features as a result of their implementation

if you criticize someone for using Haskell in a mainly C project because they want to take advantage of lazy evaluation, you're a fucking retard and should hang from the neck until dead

maybe once you graduate from undergrad you'll understand

>hey bros, just tweaked the game logic from a few seconds ago let's try it out
>alright
10 hours later
>ah yes, it's done compiling. what were we doing again?

More expressive languages for faster iteration because game design needs to be iterated over if you ever want to create a game that isn't a piece of shit

>He can't into incremental builds

Where did this compiling meme taking forever meme originate in?

Ever heard of precompiled headers? Ever heard of object files so you don't rebuild the project every time? My shit compiles almost as fast as JIT, even for huge projects.

>because some languages are more human-readable than others
Freshman don't believe in this. They think harder = better. Making their first language C was a mistake. They should be taught Assembly first.

words of wisdom

anom doesn't know what he's talking about. you can easily use c++ for a one-man project for all aspects including game logic. the be probems come with automated build systems and big teams, where scripting languages come in
or, of course, if you want players to be able to script mods after release

>you can easily use c++ for a one-man project
maybe if you read "anom's" original post you'd realize the developer he described is either a team-member or schizophrenic

>automated build systems and big teams
not just that
expressing game logic in C++ is very verbose and time consuming compared to a dynamically typed language like Lua
It's faster to program in

i was talking about who he was quoting.chill

not really. you'd have to have all the plumbing in place to add bindings anyway. UE4 does fine with c++ game logic

fuck you, fag

The compile times are irrelevant. What you really want is to be able to modify stuff without having to shut down and restart the game at all.

Yeah you can set up your engine to hot load a native DLL with your game code but that's more work than just embedding a scripting language using an off the shelf library. With a scripting language you can also have a powerful developer console.

yes really
that's why people use it
once you've done the bindings you're free to sandbox all the game code you want
doesn't mean you have to, but the option is available

the real use of lua came about because it ran on an incredibly tiny memory footprint, something not relevant today. there are much better options if you want something fast to program

bingo

is this a scripted vs no scripts or lua vs other scripting languages discussion? lua is pretty barebones but I haven't actually seen any embedded languages for games that are better

>Making the everything using C++ is less hard than having to implement bindings for those stupid languages
C++/Lua bindings are so easy a toddler can do it, and there's already a really good header-only library that abstracts most of the details away.
github.com/ThePhD/sol2

That soundtrack

Attached: nice.gif (444x250, 3.04M)

are you autism

>not writing games in machine code
I like my games without the bloat

Attached: images (4).jpg (225x225, 9K)

This desu.
There's a reason why roller coaster tycoon runs so well.

Enjoy no portability

You’ve never used OOP for other than tiny project have you?

I'm only going to use javascript from now on

>Unless you want to make your own game engine like a madman.
It’s not that hard, and it’s kinda fun

Undergraduate are the laziest human being in the world, only Jow Forumsentoomen who never left his mother's basement would say harder=better.
In any case, a man shall never reinvent the wheel. You can write your own low level stuff to learn how it really works, but you would use existing working libraries/whatever for your other projects.

You'll be our hero.

One thing to note is that every "Why is there no___ anymore?" question is a nest of opportunities for the wise people...

Attached: 1541183229709.jpg (1280x720, 69K)

If you want to make a 2d platformer sure but if you want to make a 3d game no it is not.

>t. pajeet who can’t fathom making large projects

What do you consider a large project?

We're discussing games, with just one person full time making a 3d fps from scratch including all the art work would take years.

my nubian
my absolute nubian