/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: __nakano_miku_go_toubun_no_hanayome_drawn_by_ddt_darktrident__37b14b163f8a2f4898ffafe4c93a87a0.png (1102x1604, 1.54M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.de/Speedlink-Soundkarte-Mikrofon-Kopfhörereingang-kompaktes/dp/B0042RUGLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548684465&sr=8-1&keywords=speedlink soundkarte
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/neutral-sound-an-utopia/
old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/aldp1w/got_a_chance_to_listen_to_some_high_end/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/recommended-ones/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/70809n/when_youre_willing_to_go_to_the_ends_of_the_earth/dn4b93u/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a6m4fx/is_anything_close_to_the_he_1/ebwf2z7/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a3cinh/if_money_would_be_no_concern_what_headphone_would/eb5bkc2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

stax

Holy fr*cking based!

i'm using this
amazon.de/Speedlink-Soundkarte-Mikrofon-Kopfhörereingang-kompaktes/dp/B0042RUGLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548684465&sr=8-1&keywords=speedlink soundkarte
and it's actually loud enough. how is this even possible?
but i'm not super satisfied with the sound, that's why i was considering an amp or dac/amp.

even for high impedance cans?

Looking for some new headphones.
I've been using the Grado SR325i since 12/11
Love em but looking for an alternative as well.
Heavily considering the AKG 701/702/7XX/240
What is the differences between the models?
Which is the best overall?
I'm also open to other alternatives.
Budget 300-500 max.
An extra $200 at most for a dac/amp combo.
Doesn't have to max the budget (preferred).
This is for a few months down the road.

Attached: 1373676687277.jpg (796x1070, 134K)

WHERE ARE THE ANIME GIRL FEET

Only the right side of my 6xx is working and it sounds muffled. Is there something I can do, its not even a year and they shat the bed so hard. The cables are properly plugged in and the devices use the headphones on are working fine.

Best AKG headphone available right now is the K612. Other options to check out are HD600 and DT880.

Well that's probably because maybe it's just good enough? What is your volume on windows?

An amp won't change the sound just how much louder it can get.
A dac won't change the sound just make it cleaner if you get any hissing/distortion.

If you're not satisfied with the sound, try different headphones or give them a while to get used to them if you just got them. An amp won't solve your problem.

stop recommending shitty distortion cannons nikita

funny, all of those suck

Does anyone else feel like the JDS labs atom has emphasized mids?

Or am I just imagining things?

i just bought a stax setup and now my gf of 1 month just left me wtf!?

You don’t own any headphones and you’ve never had a girlfriend.

>What is your volume on windows?
i left it on 100% and regulate using the other software.
for musicplayers i only need 20% and for youtube or movies i need 50% to occasionally 100%.

yeah..
but i don't actually dislike them enough to send them back yet. they have some really good qualities to them as well.
but i'm starting to consider it.

wtf you must listen really loudly. But if it gets loud enough then. It might be just fine. Especially for music since youtube can be weird on volume sometimes.

You may just not like them though. Is there anything you feel like is missing maybe you prefer something more bassy/midcentric/whatever.

as user said k612 are the most neutral and considered the best sounding by most people, but not necessarily the best IMO. I have them and love them, I actually love the whole k6/7xx lineup because of the feeling of zero weight on your head, they're super light, comfy, the self-adjusting headband works better than anything I've ever seen and they just fit my melon of a head perfectly.
but the k712 have amazing pads. the k612 pads are cleary good enough and comfy, but especially with glasses the 712 are another level for the pads alone. in terms of sound they're actually all pretty close, some have more bass (k712), some have less, some are a little more sensitive, some are pretty damn hard to drive (k612), but it's all about the same ballpark
I can only suggest going to a place and putting them on your head, you might find something that you like better in terms of sound but I can promise you the comfort is fucking perfect. you have to weigh out that for yourself

>bassy/midcentric
are there any open backs that are like that?

well i don't know if you can have both..... Maybe Fidelio X2 but it has less treble. Bass is decent and mids aren't as recessed as I heard. What more do you want out of DT 990?

>What more do you want out of DT 990?
Or less?

Sadly I never happen to be in any towns with places that actually sell nicer headphones.
>some of the most well liked headphones in terms of sound
>SHITTY DISTORTION CANNONS
fucking hpg

lots of music stores have akg

Listen here girl. Your headphones suck. What brand is that even? Now get out of my house and don't return until you get STAX

>stax
no bass

What is the point of listening to music with high end equipment when they have absolutely no bass? This is coming from someone having no bass, crystal clear headphones. People who claim that bass is for niggers are simply coping. As someone who listens to way too much baroque and classical music I want my headphones to immerse me into the music and that happens, almost. You can clearly hear how its supposed to sound yet you can't feel it. There is so much pleasure lost from lack of bass. The composers absolutely didn't want their music to sound flat, but lively. It seems like you're just watching a 16k picture of a movie thinking you're seeing the real stuff. And then you look at modern music(not top 40) and how they use bass and module it to sound in so many different ways, you're probably miss half of the songs you're listening without bass. I have seen the difference yet don't know what to do. Should I get a subwoofer and if so, which.

this, people need to stop buying dynamic shitphones and start buying something with bass like stax

>STAX
No. Fucking. Bass.

Attached: upload_2018-3-23_3-31-49.png (1558x473, 211K)

Buy a replacement cable on amazon and if that doesnt work you can jus return it.

headphones, depending on your head shape, always had and will have a problem with sealing correctly. there's no way to completely ensure it and if it doesn't then all the bass is gone. some stax and other higher end equipment can have a shit tonne of bass, just look at some planars, but the pads have to seal correctly on your head, which sometimes just doesn't work out with a particular headphone
>which subwoofer
kh805

t. wooden beats owner

Attached: 1548780944117.jpg (340x462, 24K)

L300 LE has less bass? I thought it was sealed.

some people just can't measure for shit

L500 pads are not sealed

How am I supposed to read this? Is 85 db the target response?
Is the treble that recessed too?

it's a highly smoothed graph of unclear origin with zero documentation
it's not meant to be read in a specific way, you just use it to cherry pick and shitpost

graphs are used as propaganda pieces. no one here can actually read graphs because the first thing you need to understand before reading one is that you can't read them as well as you think you can. they aren't comparable across different rigs/persons. the one you are seeing is in fact a DIY rig which is even worse

I'm aware, I'm not using headphones for my first time. But if you need to seal them properly then they most likely have underwhelming bass in the first place.
>kh805
If I could get it I wouldn't make such a post.

You go and listen to the headphone. Graph reading isn't nearly as easy as double digit budgectivists would have you believe.

Why is there no good stax FR graphs? Hell even more popular headphone graphs are somewhat wonky.

I've had my AKG240's for a long time, and they still work great. I'm not a huge fan of them being open since I wear them everywhere (gym, subway, home, work), but otherwise they're wonderful.

now that i think about it might have to do with the fact that these are open back, that these are far more detailed and also the peak of course.

to elaborate, before this i used some cheap bass heavy cans, it's possible that the change itself is what is really throwing me off.
>open back
everything sounds more "live", i don't hate it but it's just unusual for me. again these are my first open backs.
>more detailed
i can really tell how something is recorded now. and it's constantly grabbing my attention. with flacs this is a good thing but with youtube videos and movies it's a bit distracting. sometimes the voices have too much bass and sometimes they sound like they are standing in a big empty room.
overall i feel like a "body" is missing. mind you it does do well with bass heavy stuff so its not like it can't do bass, but outside of that the highs stand out a lot. too much perhaps.

with most tracks these sound absolutely fine. but some things just sound so radically different (both in the amount of detail and the missing "body") that i'm thrown off.
maybe i'm just too used to my warm poverty cans.

>But if you need to seal them properly then they most likely have underwhelming bass in the first place
no, they're tuned with a specific measuring rig / engineer / test crowd, and they can only be tuned to that because what else are your options?
so you can either assume your headphone won't seal and ridiculously overshoot the bass and kill everyone who gets a seal.
or tune according to the circumstances you have and the data you can read out, which is obviously the more sensible thing to do.
I think hardly anyone deliberately builds headphones which that much "underwhelming bass"

because the amateur measuring community is relatively new and the people who can pull off a good measurement procedure aren't necessarily the ones who can afford a pair
the sement at less than half a price gets a lot more attention

here's why you don't read graphs, this is what it looks like after the L500 pads break it or L700 pads are used

Attached: L700_PADS_VS_L300.jpg (1137x499, 78K)

Idk man my Stax measures pretty well to the mudcannons

Stax are hard as fuck to measure, because they have a bulge on the bottom corner of the pad that causes them to seal improperly on flat plate couplers (real humans have a cavity behind the jawbone that is filled by that bulge :3). The lower end new ones are ported which simulates a bad seal but luckily that's easily fixed. Even still, most FR graphs for them sound wrong if you use them directly to EQ, I can't stand pushing up the upper mids by more than 3-4dB. People who complain about recessed upper mids have never heard them. Headphone measurements have a long ways to go before they can accurately capture every headphone.

Forgot graph

Attached: 20190130_115335.png (1350x652, 90K)

Did someone say bass?

Attached: comparison.png (639x529, 28K)

Why don't people just eq until there are no peaks and dips in a frequency sweep?

Did you finally get your TR-X00?

Not yet.

You also need to simulate any peaks or dips you hear in a frequency sweep of measurably flat speakers. That's at least a couple hundred in speakers and a measurement mic and maybe room treatment as well.

because these are created by refections which depend on where exactly the driver is located, means each time you put the headphone on your head or even move it around slightly it's all fucked up again and you might have just made everyhting way worse.
what shows up as dips and peaks on a graph rather is an important part of your spatial hearing and therefore super easy for your brain to filter out

Why should there be peaks and dips though? Wouldn't a perfectly flat volume across all frequencies be true neutral?

>true neutral?
there's no such thing as neutral, everyone listens and produces with something different
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/neutral-sound-an-utopia/

That's not nikita, that's sapphire. Sapphire recommends the 612 and 880 all the time when he doesn't turn on the full on sennheiser shill shit. He likes crappy ass bass-free headphones in general.

no, you want the headphone interact with your ear in a way that results in a flat perception, and unlike with a speaker that you can basically just tune in an anechoic chamber the problems you have to face with headphones and hearing physiology are massive

Because your perception of flat is influenced by your ears and brain. Of course you can also just say fuck it and do it like you said, but it won't be accurate to reality, ignoring the circle of confusion (basically a flat FR microphone -> flat FR speakers, something that never happens in real life). I guess what I'm saying is that true neutral is a meme, and you should just tune to what sounds good.

>JDS labs atom has emphasized mids?
throw your hd600/hd6xx/hd650/hd58x/hd660s away user

Im about to buy headphones to pair with my t61 on ebay i have $30 probably gonna go with these.
Can anyone think of a better deal?

Attached: s-l400.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Or the portapro lel

Attached: master.jpg (1500x1500, 126K)

The porta pro are MUCH better than the UR20. Full sized over-ear headphones at this price point tend to be garbage in general. Avoid trash like the m20x/m30x too.

Thx
Any advice before i go to /iemg/ for in ear headphones for $30?
Im trying not to look like a dweeb if i happen to be in public on my laptop.

KSC75 if you want something with less prominent bass. I don't have any IEM recommendation I don't do the ear penetration thing.

Currently considering these since they are $25 on aliexpressU used the ksc75?

Attached: th (5).jpg (474x355, 21K)

>U used the ksc75?
Yes.
They are the best $ spent for sound quality in the world. There are better headphones out there, but they are where each $ spent start buying you less and less sound improvement.
They'd be easier to recommend if Koss made an over-ear version for double or triple the price, with a decent enough build quality to last for aeons.

Attached: ksc75.jpg (1014x634, 105K)

when did headroom become such crap

Thoughts on Sennheiser Momentum 1.0? For 100$? There is a new rerelease?

>implying there was a time when they weren't crap

But now they dont even carry anything under $300

old.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/aldp1w/got_a_chance_to_listen_to_some_high_end/
stax mafia commits suicide

Attached: huehue.png (672x70, 13K)

I'm using it with DT 990. Mids sound more forward than on phone.

i got the momentum 2 "used" for ~100.
got a new cable on amazon for 8 bucks, nice and thick.
basically brand new, came with the case and everything, absolutely 0 cosmetic damage.

...the momentums kinda suck. especially the leather ones. very like... its a clear enough sound but very muddled because of the pads.
also they make my head sweat like a motherfucker, the clamp is way too much for normal use, and i can only realistically wear them in the dead of winter.

>Mids sound more forward than on phone.
>dt990
dude you're effin killin' me. your phone must have some bass boost active or something. atom is perfectly linear and 990s are not what people would describe as mid forward no matter what type of colored gear you put them on, holy fuck.

>your phone must have some bass boost active or something
Yeah that was it. I forgot I installed an equalizer and left it on. It sounds normal now.

>For mids and treble, please see my other post where i described the srs3100 system. Comparing to HD600 is like going from 30fps to 60fps.
stax mafia is literally just too dumb to EQ in some bass. don't associate us with the retards over at headcase

portapros

The only upgrade is speakers.

Attached: MD-3488_20140908125415_c669c917a140f4a4.png.jpg (1300x394, 117K)

stax, then speakers

Sorry, I prefer neutral headphones because I'm a speakerfag.

you are a own nothing fag with no setup to post

>neutral
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/
>Why Most Published Research Findings Are False
>Simulations show that for most study designs and settings, it is more likely for a research claim to be false than true. Moreover, for many current scientific fields, claimed research findings may often be simply accurate measures of the prevailing bias. In this essay, I discuss the implications of these problems for the conduct and interpretation of research.
>diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/neutral-sound-an-utopia/
neutral is a utopia

oh god bless not you again

diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/recommended-ones/
>Those looking for a ‘flat as possible’ headphone; the Sennheiser HD600 is the best possible option but does lack in subbass.

>open back dynamic
>velour pads
>nobass
checks out

let me repeat it once more just to really nail it in
>claimed research findings may often be simply accurate measures of the prevailing bias
feel free to attempt to prove that the hd600 is neutral, now you're just relying on subjective opinion. here's what oratory has to say, he's actually more qualified academically and with a better rig than solderdude:
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/70809n/when_youre_willing_to_go_to_the_ends_of_the_earth/dn4b93u/
>The Stax 007 (with the blue-tac mod!!) is one of the most neutral headphones out there. Truly amazing.

nice out of context quote

which quote is out of context user? here, have some more

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a6m4fx/is_anything_close_to_the_he_1/ebwf2z7/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/a3cinh/if_money_would_be_no_concern_what_headphone_would/eb5bkc2/
>Yeah, the Orpheus is great, but I‘d prefer a Stax 007 or 009 with a Paltauf amplifier.

can we all just agree that hd600 are mud and staxgang is yolosquad42

>I personally think that the HD600 is warm/"not bright" enough as it is,
That's what every single person who's not deaf yet actually thinks of the HD6 series. HD600 are veiled, and the HD650 are King of Veil.
Hearing damage can induce things like Hyperacusis, which is an heavily increased sensitivity to certain sounds, making the sufferer unable to tolerate louder treble.
Having tinnitus (another form of hearing damage) will also make you more sensitive to treble.
It's not the people who enjoy unveiled headphones who are diminished.

but hd600 is more neutral than any stax headphone thats currently produced

this is also true

average listening levels does the same thing. >deaf is not an argument it's just cope. neutralfags need to turn the volume down... oh nononono where did the treble and bass go?!

The TR-x00s have arrived
Impressions:
fat Punchy bass. the mids and thus vocals come out a bit recessed but the bass and treble do not eat the mids.
Not a claustrophobic sound like I have gotten when I tested out random closed backs in the store.
They look sexy as fuck.
The bass is tight. best sounding bass i have heard on a headphone I own. you can feel the sub bass too. Again recessed mids in favor of treble. I'm noticing some sibilant sounds on hi hats, I can see that becoming fatiguing after a while. Female vocals are crystal clear though. Actually, I cant tell if it is sibbillance or detail. I might EQ the treble a bit lower.

Overall thoughts, it really is V shaped, treble is slightly harsh desu not ear rape harsh but a bit elevated for my tastes, bass is excellent. I think it is important to note that the mids are not eaten by either bass or treble. Not very muddy. I can hear small details that I could not hear in my HD598s on the high and low end. suprisingly open sound for a closed back. Will be using these for music over the 598s.
Detailed "fun" sound.

audiophool garbage > 90s planars > mid-fi dynamics > listening to the glorious sounds of japanese birds in a bamboo forest on okinawa while sipping tea and cleaning your arisaka while some american shoots off his m1 like a spaz while shouting "THIS ONE'S FOR PEARL HARBOR, FUCKERS" > taking a shit, letting your dog eat it, then listening to your dog take a shit comprised of your own shit > hd600

Nakano Miku, more like Nakani Iku.

Attached: Hot.gif (184x184, 140K)

imagine being this mad because the hd600 has higher fidelity than whatever headphones you use lol

i only have hd600 ;-;
staxsoon2019

ok buddy, sick opinion. I dont own HD600s so I dont really have an opinion, but what you posted really is an opinion. nice.