/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read
>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: happycutiewithasticcOwO.jpg (480x627, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is 150usd good deal for a used single blade server? im gonna use it for streaming 4k for plex

its a E5-2650 v2 with 16gb ddr3

Why does everyone shit on the 1060 6gb for 1080p usage

anyway to create a default user profile in win10 without audit mode and copyprofile?

I'm formatting my laptop (that came with win10) and installing win7 on it
anything to keep in mind? or do I just need graphic drivers and I'm golden

There's this one programming challenge that's asked on many coding interviews and I'm struggling to recall what it is. It's something like, at first it seems like a simple sorting algorithm, but then but then becomes much more difficult than it appears. It's called something like the forward-backward test, or I think it's the name of some food.

FizzBuzz?

When I plug my laptop (2017 chromebook) into my TV (slightly old flat screen) with an hdmi cable and try to watch a movie, there's severe lag. is there anything I can do in the settings to fix this or is my TV just too old?

Attached: 1548477819943.jpg (540x551, 80K)

Also, I think it was on the wiki but I can't find it now. There was an infographic of beginners programing projects. Anyone have that?

Yes, thank you. It was also on this, which I just found.

Attached: projects-noobz.jpg (1261x1000, 314K)

Attached: 1541187575801.png (1738x830, 102K)

Why does syncing keep disabling in k-9 mail?

Attached: Screenshot_20190130-133557_K-9_Mail.png (1080x2160, 133K)

Is there a tool which automatically does this for a folder:
>if X image is wider than it is taller
>then
>rotate it by 90 degrees
If not, how can I automate this?

I've cobbled together a simple audio output switch.
I understand you can get humming sound from ground connection conflict but why did i get it here? If the switch is set to headphones, the left, right and ground pins of speakers should be free of any signal.
Don't tell me the switch itself faintly picks up AC line in the wall.

Attached: swatch.gif (800x800, 43K)

Do I need to have Java on my computer? does anything nowadays still use it?

I am trying to install Manjaro 18.0.1 by creating a bootable USB in windows using Rufus. I get a warning stating "this image uses grub 2.03.2 but the application only includes the installation files for grub 2.02" I tell it to try and find the file but it can't then formats the USB. I then try too boot the USB and I get a black screen that says entering grub rescue mode. I am using the latest version of Rufus. What can I do? Any other live USB creating Windows software I should try?

you need an A B switch user

The pastebin says to use a tap adapter as a bypass.
Why use just that?
Doesn't it conflict if you want to use openvpn for something?

Etcher is the brainletproof alternative

>been told on Jow Forums that TN panels have better blacks
>sold my IPS panel today and took my brother's spare TN panel for a while, until I decide on what to buy
>blacks look far worse here, practically grey
so I got memed right

I got i3blocks for my linux desktop but I get: error: status_command process exited unexpectedly (exit 1) when starting X. When I run it on a terminal it appears just fine.

I have status_command i3blocks -c ~/.config/i3/i3blocks.conf on my i3 config file (as seen on the picture attached to my post) but it STILL gives me the same error

What can I do to fix this? And yes, I've already looked up how to fix this problem but none of the solutions worked for me

Attached: Untitled.png (615x35, 993)

Has anyone thought about overclocking their 2990WX to over 10GHz?

please respond

I just bought a mouse, and it's already fucking up.

Whenever I scroll the mouse will sort of jump up and down, I checked the laser, and I changed the vertical scroll settings.

Sup /sqt/

So I setup a Raspberry Pi via ssh and only use it that way.

Would it be possible to hook up a keyboard and monitor to it so as to use the command line "locally"?

I'm a Pre-Law student that's learning Philosophy and Polisci to do well on the LSAT/in law school. This means that my majors look retarded.

In order to have marketable skills to put on my resume, I'm going to teach myself Python and R. I already know logic.

My question: what software do I need to start? What's the best online resource for learning?

Asking again because last thread is archived
Do cuda computations slow down the rest of the GPU?
I'm doing cuda calculations, task manager shows 100% gpu computing, but 0 percent 3d acceleration. I thought why not play some Vidya while doing that.
I get about 20-30 fps in some older games. But I don't really get why. I expected it to run either perfectly fine or it to doesn't run at all. Anyone here has some insights in how this works? Would upgrading the GPU help?

I have a drive on a dual-booted laptop that I would like to have accessible from both the Windows and Linux-based partitions. Should I format this drive as exFAT or NTFS?

how do I copy something from vim to the system clipboard

Depends on the outputs on the Pi and what OS you installed.

Thank you for your answer
It's Raspbian Stretch Lite
I can output either via composite or via HDMI

best vpn service right now?

>go through openSUSE installer
>get to partitioning
>go through guided partitioning
>afterwards see that root partition has maybe 25 GiB too much
>pick expert partitioning based on current layout
>shrink root
>go to /home
>max size hasn't changed
>can't grow the partition
What in the fuck is this shit?

Hi anons i'm a college student studying
Mass Communications and I'm currently looking to get a laptop withing the 0-800$ range and I don't know what I should get any ideas? ps. usb C is a must

Attached: tilt face.gif (99x99, 12K)

I need to buy my dad a laptop. I don't know anything about laptops really. He wants a relatively cheap one. Which should I get?

Attached: Intense_Scorpid_Fight.webm (818x460, 2.75M)

I need some networking help here Jow Forumsuys.

Here's my problem:
I have two manageable switches and a dumb switch. Everything works fine in the circled area, but after the previous sysadmin installed the dumb switch, the Classroom 3 doesn't have access to the rest of the network. There are multiple Vlans inside the network. The PC's have static addresses.

Is it possible to make this work with a dumb switch? (network login etc..)

I think the problem is with the port settings between the Switch 2 and the dumb switch, I'll attach an image of the settings but I still can't find the problem.

Thanks in advance anons!

Attached: work.png (722x432, 24K)

Here's the picture of Switch 2's settings for the outgoing port to the DumbSwitch.

Attached: work2.png (1008x904, 37K)

Also disabled = PoE watts.

Dumb switches are dumb as fuck but they transfer vlans fine.
It will be a vlan issue on switch2.
Either its set to a vlan access port that isnt correct somehow, or most likely it is set to a trunk port but the native vlan for that trunk is not the correct one you want.

what does Jow Forums use to monitor hardware? something on par with gpu-z for other devices preferably, speccy is pretty shit

hwmonitor

thanks

If I'm running a VPN inside a VM, and paste some text into a website on the VM that was copied from the host machine, would the VPN still be able to log the text if they wanted to?

Thanks mate I'll look into it.

That port is in Auto mode and it has the same settings as an other port going to the Library so it should be fine. Could the "cable color order" be a problem too? Or any other ideas?

Attached: dumbme.jpg (1016x456, 40K)

don't see why not

Are you duplicating the display or extending it?

oh shit yeah, gotta use a crossover cable from switch to switch if it wasnt made in the last 30 years and doesnt have auto mdi/mdix

Get an old Thinkpad off ebay. T420, 430 or 440 if you need a better display or the ability to upgrade to one later.

What monitor calibrators does Jow Forums recommend? I need to calibrate my colors. My monitor runs at 144hz if that helps, all of the dark colors blend in with black and everything's oversaturated, and when I fix it, either everything's too bright, or everything's too desaturated. My limit is 150 bucks.

Because RX 580s are cheaper and better.

What happens if the other end of the cable got wired differently?

Some cables have been cut off at switch2 and I just put the usual g G o B b O br BR color code on their ends and plug them back.

Why do are there so few webapps for desktop operating systems

Well if you use 568-A everywhere, then you've made straightthrough cables,
If the site uses 568-B, then youve made a bunch of crossover cables.

Between the two switches verify they are 568-A (starts with green pair) to 568-B(starts orange pair)

I have one Jow Forums tab open but looking at background traffic, when having not reloaded the page for many minutes, my logs are spammed with about 20-30 connections per second to a random json file from the 4cdn.org
Why?

All right thanks mate! Hopefully straight through will be the problem then, gonna check it tomorrow

Any ideas on a good way to extend a mobile signal to dead areas?
I work underground and just want to have a way to get on the internet without having to go to the staircase every time.
It doesn't matter if it might cost a lot cause everyone else is dying for some internet too.

What happens if I unplug all my HDD and SSD from my computer and turn it on.

You'll boot into bios

Is it bad for my ssd that windows 10 automatically defragments/optimises it regularly?

Attached: 1376722514979.jpg (126x95, 4K)

yeah if it defrags it too much it might break

If it's an old TV, it's probably the latency.

>happycutiewithasticcOwO.jpg
cringe

brainlet here
what's the max ram freq the Athlon 200GE can use

Should I have a Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 on my AMD Ryzen 5 2400G?

Okay, full size GPU vs. a mini ITX one.
Only difference is one less fan, correct? What's the best way to improve on that in a itx case?

how much ram can a computer use for caching?

All that your system dosent reserve

so in that case is unused ram never wasted ram?

what's likely the cause if my computer has some random stutters? it's mainly when watching video and playing games, there will be small, brief ~1 second stutters where the video will freeze and the audio will stutter. I can't find any examples of what i'm talking about, but imagine if you were watching a video and someone said "apple", the video freezes for a second while the buffering symbol runs, and all you hear is "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAApple". this also happens in games. it only lasts a few seconds and most but it's common.

random guess is either my CPU or GPU dying but i'd like your opinions or possible ways to narrow it down.

Unused ram iIS wasted ram.
If you had 128GB of ram, its proportional to what services/programs you run. Ideally you want any and all ram that is not dedicated to running services and active programs to be cached. It scales as you add more ram. So of that 128 maybe 16-32gb is reserved for the system and active programs while the rest is allocated as cache

so cached ram is wasted ram?

If the TV has it, try switching to “game mode“

No

I have a USB drive that doesn't show on gparted, and windows reads it but says
>There is no drive on G: try again.
is it dead?

ded.

cached is possibly useful RAM in future, completely empty RAM is wasted.

"ITX" GPU isn't any official standard, just means it's probably

Can I get around Netflix's geoblocking without paying for a VPN or paying anything at all? If yes, what should I look into? Right now literally everything online just links me to a paid VPN and it's pissing me off.

no, based
Yes you got memed. I have no idea why people believe TN is better in any way. In any image of a TN panel, everything looks washed out and grey, especially when put next to an IPS

Attached: starboi.jpg (900x620, 191K)

I currently have an MSI x470 motherboard from last year that I never used on account of hearing the rumors of the upcoming Zen 2 CPUs. Now that they're almost here, could I still use the x470 motherboard with their 12 core CPU, or would it not work on account of it not being "current?"

I'm trying to download all the images of a certain page using JDownloader, but that page dynamically loads image as you scroll down, and thus JDownloader only detects the few images that are loaded with the page immediatly.
Does anyone know how it could scan the whole thing ?

Current rumours suggest it'll probably work, but almost nothing about Zen 2 products have been officially confirmed.

That isn't a question but I'll try to answer anyway.

How expensive was it? If it actually uses a laser instead of an LED, it costs too much to be doing that and probably has a warranty. If it's cheap enough you might as well disassemble the thing (there may be screws under the slider pads) and look for defective solder joints or something.

>postgresql
CREATE EXTENSION pg_trgm;
could not load library "/usr/lib/postgresql/pg_trgm.so": /usr/lib/postgresql/pg_trgm.so: undefined symbol: AllocSetContextCreateExtended
I noticed pg_trgm stopped working in my web app after a system update, and now I am getting this error after I dropped it and tried to create it again. Not sure what to do, there's not much help out there for this.

That sounds like the framerate dropping. There are a few possibilities. It could be a graphics driver issue, a GPU hardware issue, or if you're using integrated graphics, you might need more memory. If it's not that, it could just be that all the programs you're using are janky bloated piles of garbage. What are your current hardware specs?

Best way/program to download YouTube vids and convert them to music files? Used Auto Video Converter but it doesn't always work

how do i rename the folder on transmission? i want to seed some completed movies, but because the folder names don't match, it won't verify data.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 11.06.53 PM.png (942x660, 102K)

youtube-dl.

Yo i need me some good anime boys.Any recommendations?

Just stick around. OP posts one every thread.

>File:\BCD
>Error code: 0xc000000d

Friends, I assume this is an easy fix by just running repair from a boot disk or thumbdrive (pls advise if there is more to this meme than meets the eye). My problem is that I have neither because the version of Windows is OEM. On top of that my mother (it's her computer) said the OS was W10, but in the UEFI it says W8. I have zero experience with W10 or W8 (though I assume it can't be too different to the others that I have used the repair meme with before).
Where can I download what is required? It's not my computer, it's my mother's and she's insistent on taking it to the shop, but I would rather not throw the money away on what I know is a simple fix.
Pls send me halp.

i have a feeling more likely than not it's graphics driver related because i have been having issues with updating graphics drivers (every time i update the whole thing crashes and reverts to like 480p and i have to reinstall them all), but the fact that my drivers wont update leads me to believe the card itself is just dying so it may just be time for an upgrade i guess. shame though, i havent really been interested in playing any new games, and the ones i do play are within the requirements of the card so i dont really want to upgrade.

specs are
i5 4690k
16gb DDR3
GTX 970

One of my old monitors has started banding instead of refreshing properly.
Sometimes it'll work/initialize just fine, but now if there's any video or lots of refreshing on that monitor, it'll start banding again. Large refreshes will take a moment to finalize, but my mouse cursor doesn't phase it.

It's old, now vertical after years of living horizontally, on a dvi input. Have not updated video drivers in a while but I don't think that could be it since it will band on its own without any input. Even OSD messages are garbled. Tested the d-sub with a laptop but it's not responsive.

Guess I'm out a secondary monitor now?

I'm getting "Segmentation fault" with some programs.
First with qBittorrent and now with Hexchat after pressing a key in the text input. What the actual fuck? Is my system fucked? Are my drives going to die? Help

Doesn't matter what it says in bios. Probably just upgraded from what was originally 8. OEM doesn't have a special version of windows. Just use the OP installer. If she doesn't care about what's on there, a clean install is always good, especially if there hasn't been one since before the upgrade.

I got a GPD Pocket last week and everything is to fucking small, and sideways outside of lxqt.
Is thare a magic text file I can edit to make everything 1.5x bigger? I think I found a way to rotate the touchscreen.

should i just get the 2600 over the 2600x if i dont plan on overclocking

>OEM doesn't have a special version of windows

Yeah, I know, I'm just saying that because it was preinstalled so you don't get any recovery discs or anything with it, that's why I can't use the easy option.
There doesn't seem to be any options to do a clean install or anything. The splash screen comes up for about 2 seconds then immediately goes to the error code. And the only option from there is to go in the BIOS, but then there's nothing to change in the BIOS that's really relevant.
I discovered that it, allegedly, has some kind of physical "recovery button" built into it (it's on all Lenovo's apparently), but I can't even fucking find that. I think if I find that it probably wouldn't work anyway.

If I replace the motherboard of my laptop do I have to do anything to my hard drive to get it to boot normally or is it just plug and play?

So Anons I want to make a thread OP in a pastebin how are people able to know the URL of the pastebin before it has been posted? Just because I'd like to have a link in the Thread OP to the pastebin embedded in the pastebin.

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

>There doesn't seem to be any options to do a clean install or anything.

You flash a usb with the installer from OP, then you select that drive in the boot menu. Then you just delete all the existing partitions during setup.

>some kind of physical "recovery button" built into it
There may be some weak repair options, but any proper "recovery" would have to include a recovery partition, which is not the way to go. Lenovo is known for releasing malware, which is another reason to do a clean install.

thanks mang