BAHAHAHAHA

Remember to make regular backups!

Attached: Screenshot_20190130_145749.png (1183x839, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AnxrJiS5uKU
camelcamelcamel.com/
google.com/search?q=camelcamelcamel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

At least they can check the history of hard drive prices to make sure they're not paying too much for new ones... oh wait

>3 disks failed
>new disks $14860
What, how

How the fuck are they paying so much for 3 hard drives?

$15k in hard drives to for what is essentially just an amazon text database? Why is this taking so much data?

I'm also asking myself why they aren't using a nosql database like scylladb for this. Eventual consistency is perfect for this type of use case.
It seems like they had one massive sql server with 3 very large ssds kek.

Attached: download (6).jpg (517x359, 48K)

>3 hard disks
>New disks: $14,860.79

Attached: 954F5B52-6F19-49A7-ABC4-8DD109A5CC9F.jpg (550x550, 36K)

>Remember to make regular backups!
but they did it wrong
>3 2 1

>disk = physical disk
hello retard

jesus 15k for 3 disks...even REDs aren't that expensive for 10/12 TB lol

RAID is availability solution, remember it.

they probably replaced all the drives, not just the bad ones. if you have that many fail at the same time, you'd be smart to replace all disks.

>if you have that many fail at the same time, you'd be smart to replace all disks

you'd be smart to replace the RAID controller and backplane

It literally says "our database had three hard drives fail", nigger.

Any nosql fags able to chime in and say if they would have been better off with a nosql solution with multiple nodes in a cluster instead of what they have?

How much data could they possibly have?

depends if they are hosting images of all amazon products locally.

Yes. A production cluster with a backup cluster would have prevented this.

>3 disks failed
>new disks $14860

Attached: demo.jpg (535x462, 34K)

deduplicate that shit

no u
they could maybe almost reach 200tb if they got really good deals on storage but they would be cheap hard drives
[spoiler]not counting their backups[/spoiler]

>data recovery $29,726.41

im in the wrong business

The retards probably bought 3 disks from the same production run

>backing up data on expensive mechanical drives
>not using magnetic tapes

>not using the cloud

but what happens with the data in the cloud when it rains?
youtube.com/watch?v=AnxrJiS5uKU

Those are for archives that don't need to be accessed frequently

So have one or two disks as a buffer and offload them to the tapes every week/month or so

congrats. you just invented the VTL.

Since they got backups, is data recovery really needed?

I bet their backups are over 90 days old

>camelcamelcamel
hʉ?

deadass you can get an LTO-8 tape drive and use LTO-7 mode M media, your 9TB tapes will cost ~$100 each. I don't have exact numbers but a LTO8 tape drive is around $20,000 or less.

These guys are fucking idiots.

As well as weekly/monthly/annual off-site rotations we keep 4 tapes (about 20tb) at all times for daily incrementals.

It's not great for disaster recovery but for your odd "I accidentally deleted a file, can you get it back for me" requests it's fine.

Shit how do I patent it???
Please respond

>deadass
Kill yourself

This isn't "I ran undelete on the external drive" data recovery, this is "I disassembled the drive in a specialized clean lab, replaced the controller and heads using specialized anti-static plastic tools, then used specialized in-house software to try and salvage the RAID array"

ok

>$30k for hard disk recovery
What a bunch of kikes.

Attached: dsfsafdasf.png (200x200, 77K)

That isn't $30k of specialized labor.
It's not even particularly difficult. Whatever data is saved from the last disk cycles is all they're getting back.

Or one failed and that caused a chain reaction killing all of them due to setting them up incorrectly.

It's more expensive to be unavailable/offline to some of these companies than a few K on recovery. They need their system back online ASAP as they bleed money without it. No doubt they will be reviewing their availability policy carefully from now on.

You really thing CamelCamelCamel is making $50k+ per week?

No idea. They will pay whatever they feel fit to get shit working again.

pls

Gold plated HDDs?

You're not paying for the day's work. You're paying for the years of experience and expertise that lead to that point. If you want trust your data recovery to a pajeet tier service that will fry what's left of your data, go for it.

Jesus they could have done a live backup to azure for a fraction the price.

>defending price gouging kikes
>for free
What a fag.

>Remember to make regular backups!
Golden words.
I wonder kind of hard drives they were using.

Seagates no doubt

Attached: 1548748163309.gif (500x491, 376K)

> Due to the shared age of the failed and remaining disks, we are replacing all 14 of the disks, not just those that failed.
I'm sure they ordered all 14 from the same production run.
inb4 all the drives fail again at once

Attached: 1531779009476 (1).png (720x720, 911K)

>the enormous retards are making probably on the order of tens of thousands of dollars every month
>their entire operation probably has under $15,000 worth of equipment
>they didn't spend the extra ~5% of ONE MONTH'S profit to have enough backups to where they could guarantee they could not be taken out by any remotely possible hardware failures
And yet these fucking idiots are making probably hundreds of times more money than me.

I hope it was worth saving that extra 2 grand to skip on the backups.

Attached: 1521873686389.jpg (468x510, 60K)

It looks like they didn't even pay for overnight shipping of the new drives.

Probably not per week, but they are almost certainly making in the range of tens of thousands per month.

These people are enormous, colossal fucking retards.

>14 drives
At most, at MOST, this is $6,000 in drives. And that's if they're using extremely cost-ineffective 10/12/14 TB drives.

The fact that they weren't willing to spend another few thousand dollars to *guarantee* that something like this is not possible, despite make probably multiple tens of thousands per month, makes me hate them even more.

I wish more of their drives had failed. What a bunch of fucking unbelievable retards.

>14 disks
>"New disks: $14,860.79"
Now hold on, what the fuck?

Where can you even find a hard drive that costs over $1,000?

Attached: 1526398382981.jpg (640x640, 187K)

This is like getting mad at a roofing company for charging you more than materials + 50 bucks.

Here's the $14,000 in "disks" pic they just uploaded to their downtime log

Attached: IMG-0391-thumb.jpg (382x928, 280K)

Should have used AWS or DigitalOcean :^)

This can't be real

oh god. Are they actually this stupid?

>bought a couple evos because pros were too expensive
lmao

camelcamelcamel wasn't needed after they decided to stop hosting newegg's history

I just checked, it's real

Attached: 1326592479789.jpg (363x310, 28K)

camelcamelcamel.com/

Attached: pepe laugh1.jpg (258x245, 12K)

R.I.P.

This is why AWS is exploding. I have a friend in contracting and Amazon builds like 20 sites a year alone in my state. It's cheaper and safer in the long run to leave to the actual pros.

Dumb bastards.

Why do they need so many space to store price changes?

$265.36 PER TERRYBITE

Enterprise disks cost that much.

I'd wager they're doing something really dumb, like saving entire item pages rather than just the relevant portions and metadata. They likely have no long-term/archival storage layer either, and have everything retrieved from the main drives. Yikes.

Wanna bet these are just the consumer 4TB drives?

I don't get it, what is this website and why does anyone care?

>after new RAID cables arrive.
>RAID cables

Attached: anime-girl-with-questionmark.jpg (362x346, 38K)

Based retard
google.com/search?q=camelcamelcamel

Thanks.

>only having 3 camels

Attached: Four_Desert_Camel_Animal_Pics.jpg (1600x1200, 134K)

Why the FUCK do you need 16k in hard disks to store fucking text

That's the drive I have. I'm an Enterprise!

SAS to SATA connectors

Is this cursed images thread?

Never heard of this site. Were the original disks hard drives because they could have maybe sent those to Louis Rossman and he could've charged half that or less. 3 simultaneous drive failures sound like a power surge which could be the same blown component on all three.

Lastly who gives a shit if they lose a few weeks/months worth of new user signups? Price tracker just means they're crawling amazon so big deal if they're a gap in their database. Is moot their admin?

F

But are they actually serious? They have 3 camels in their logo, website URL, name and then can't handle 3 HDDs failing? That be actually quite funny.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.34.58.png (259x150, 55K)

Why not burn the building down and start fresh, just to be sure.

>Never heard of this site.
All I know is Amazon lets them exist with the stipulation they only pricecheck Amazon and no other sites.

What's Amazon gonna do, ban their IP's?

Terminate their affiliate account and thus their access to the API?

>that's actually real
Oh my fucking god

Attached: 1547962015045.jpg (395x401, 59K)

Oh...they are a shitty affiliate marketing website. One of the worst internet commerce models currently. No wonder.

what the fuck

Why... why would you do that?

i dont get whats wrong, jusat maybe because its more expensive but wont the ssds last way longer than hdds to make up for the price?

HDDs are way more appropriate for redundancy than SSDs. I have no idea what these people are doing.

No

The two EVO's are really triggering my autism.

it's the other way around lel

What the fuck kind of outfit would they even be ordering from? These people are idiots

the fuck kinda disks cost 7k+?

this is what happens when a script kiddie thinks he can do big boy IT