wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.license
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Deblobing
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_Security
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>make.conf
show yours first owo

What the fuck is wrong with you, and everyone that uses gentoo
Why the fuck everyone that uses gentoo looks like a bunch of retards trying to make simple things more complicated just for the sake of it
Do i really need to compile VLC just to get 0.5%< more performance why i can't just use portage to download a precompiled bin?
Tell me why and maybe will switch to it.

echo | sudo tee /etc/make.conf >/dev/null

It's not about performance you fuck wit. It's about having more flexibility and options regarding the software you install.

>Install Gentoo.
No, thanks. Switched to pic related. Have enough flexibility to build something from source, same easiness in keeping several versions of the same package. And 90% of stuff is from bincache (no compile-everything outism). And very noice way to configure your system via 1 file with nicely tailored PL for the task.
Creating shell environs for dev work with all dependencies in the path with one command, easy rollback and inability to SNAFU your system (except you deliberately trash your bootloader) as an added bonus.
TL;DR: Gentoo done right

Attached: nixos-hires.png (1346x392, 50K)

Oh, and package manager feels lightning fast as fuck after portage.

It's not about performance you fuck wit. It's about FUN.

It's not about optimization for processor, faggot. It is about build-time configuration of your software.

Makeopts j8
cflags -march=native -ftree-vectorize -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -O2

Using gentoo for a week. Have systemd, kde, gnome, pulsaudio, qt4 blocked.

this. where the hell did that stupid performance meme come from? I don't know why people say it's so complicated when gentoo really simplifies things for you and makes compiling everything from source less of a pain in the ass. literally just people following memes without trying it out themselves

Aaaaaaaaaaa
I can't understand what's wrong! mplayer and mpv have problems running 1080p videos and up, saying it must be a driver problem. it runs great on pre-compiled distros.

Attached: 261929572012.png (431x551, 95K)

gentoo is equilavent of having a custom suit made to your size and preferences. the other distros are buying a ready suit from store from the rack. now you understand why gentoo is superior

what do you guys recommend when configuring my kernel, i can use menuconfig but i'm not sure whether or not it's best to be disabling as much stuff as i don't think i'll need or what

You also waste more time designing the suit rather than just fucking using jt.

check out the device drivers->Graphics support
checked?
>checked!

check out your current video driver. it is the xorg generic or the intel one? and what about your VIDEOS_CARDS="" in make.conf?
checked?
>checked

last, see if your mpv useflags

dont sweat about kernel. if you want you can manually configure it or you can just download complete kernel config for your version from aur. i use menuconfig and i disabled only intel specific stuff, max 3-4 switches to disable
it depends on your pc. i have no problem compiling packages with my r7 1700.

>user using Gentoo posts desktop scrot
>uptime: 1m
EVERY FUCKING TIME

I can agree with that statement for the first months of the Great Gentoo Experience.
but later on, you barely need to tweak stuff, your workflow simple becomes ideal and you'll never distrohop

What did you say?
Git gud. I can install gentoo from scratch on this PC and have every package I want for regular desktop usage in 10 hours.

Attached: 1548900742-669925905_scrot.png (1920x1080, 61K)

Congratulations, you left your laptop open overnight. I have never seen solid proof anyone on Jow Forums actually uses gentoo

>laptop
Ya think I'm som kinda Jow Forumstard or sumthang?

Attached: tmp_18335-c35d619162e7e4c2edd0ac3bbc4066cb3ee9bd98d4ce0d77b9256feb0aed4edf893176643.jpg.jpg (540x393, 24K)

>not valuing portability
What's it like, not being productive and all?

LMAO

make.conf = obscure security and mind games on Deb Stable. Thanks in advance, Papa.

Attached: softWaves_wiki_banner_v3.png (680x340, 95K)

Papa Blesses! OH BABY A QUADRUPLE.

Just installed. Only thing I’ve installed besides sudo and shit is Vim. What flags should I put into place and what software to get for ultimate freeduhm?

theres no what flags should i use. its up to you to customize to your needs

sudo apt-get pkg install Gentoo == '!god v.5' -y

Thanks, Siddhartha. Fiddhartha.

I actually did a gentoo install, a couple days ago for the first time, was pretty satisfying. Managed to get up to everything besides Xorg and a DE when I rebooted into it, xorg giving errors about framebuffers and no screens (I think my amd gpu was fucking up) looked up documentation and probably could have fixed it but I honestly couldn't be assed, after I tried looking the linux-firmware stuff and reconfiguring my kernel (the options I was seeing werent even the same as the documentation for the card, so I was pretty confused) I just wiped the hard drive.

This was my first one that actually booted out of like 3 without fucking something up, 1st time I didn't do it for uefi, 2nd time I did it all without being booted into a uefi enabled environment, and I could have fixed it but I just went another time since it wasn't that bad anymore and I learned things I could do better the third time

Anyways thank you for reading my blog, but I think I'm going to try installing gentoo seriously after they update from the 4.14 kernel. I'm pretty sure it will be much easier to troubleshoot my relatively modern hardware then? I assumed because amd drivers were incorporated into the kernel thats why it sucks messing around with them when its an older one. I know debian stable is fucking awful with my hardware and its 4.9 kernel.

Attached: 29.jpg (470x671, 75K)

I'm using gentoo right now, but I'm not happy with it. I waste too much time setting up (configuring, not compiling) things that I wasn't able to anticipate at install time. I'd rather use a fatter system that includes a lot of "bloat" for contingencies. However, I still really like the portage system and the gentoo source-based concept in general.

Besides Calculate Linux and CloverOS, what pre-built gentoo setups are around? I want to use a portage-based system where I install new packages / update from source, but I don't want to bother configuring everything initially. Sabayon doesn't count because it doesn't use portage normally (same for ChromeOS if anyone wants to sperge about it technically being gentoo).

Attached: 1357076573221.jpg (617x591, 253K)

Gentoo has profiles, which are basically as far as you can go with "anticipating" someone else's desired configuration.

It's not like binary distros are excluded from this issue, but with these you're simply rarely going "uh, okay, I'm gonna recompile all this against libressl rather than openssl or libc++ rather than libstdc++".
People there basically tend to accept it doesn't have x support, and that's that.

Hello gentoomen. I read that libressl is more secure than openssl cos its developed by the openbsd guys or something. So I followed wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:LibreSSL and everything went smoothly. But theres still many packages that seem to depend on openssl like dev-qt/qtnetwork and net-misc/megatools. Is there no way to use packages that haven't migrated to libressl? Or am I retarded and missing something.

Yes, some software just doesn't support libressl. Gentoo has patched a fairly large number of packages, among these the ones tracked here:
bugs.gentoo.org/561854

Qtnetwork also has a patch in progress that you could try to use:
bugs.gentoo.org/562050

But even with extra patches, it's not all packages so far.

I'm assuming its impossible to have both open/libressl installed at the same time because apparently they have the same soname. So you can't use openssl for openssl only packages and libressl for everything else?
I'm pretty new so I just want things to just werk while I wrap my head around portage, openrc, etc. Don't think I have the skills to contribute bug fixes and stuff yet. Should I just switch back to openssl and wait for the maintainers to add official libressl support for the packages I want? Might try the qtnetwork patch before I do that though.

Why the fuck would anyone give a shit about what you do with your system? Just install an ezmodo distro and fuck off.

>10 hours
lol fuck it takes me like 2 -3 hours tops.

Yea, its a bit of an upstream mess. It will be easier to use openssl until the dust has settled.

Alternatively, employ a mixture of patches, statically linked binaries, new applications, AppImages/ Nix packages and so on.

I mean the name of the distro is based on the fastest swimming penguin because of the possible performance boost. I agree that the customizability and increased control are far more important than the negligible performance gains, the Gentoo=extreme performance meme is really just a branding problem for Gentoo than anything else.

Profiles are helpful for streamlining setting up, say, the KDE suite, without as much messing around with flags, but there's still a ton of other stuff that needs to be addressed.

I am thinking about this as compared to a distro like Fedora or Ubuntu, or even Windows, where you can boot it up with almost any permutation of hardware (networking, graphics, audio, input, anything) and all will be detected and functional without additional work. Beyond that, there will always be many cases where things do not work, but that would be the advantage of using gentoo as the base-- flexibility to fix things if you have to.

Is there actually any performance benefit to Gentoo on modern hardware or it it just about control?

Here's my make.conf
I use portage squashfs snapshot as PORTDIR. It's much faster to just download the updated image and remount it than doing a sync using rsync. I also made a simple script for this task.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
SNAPSHOT_URL="distfiles.gentoo.org/snapshots/squashfs/gentoo-current.xz.sqfs"
DOWNLOAD_CMD="axel -an 16"
DEST_FILE="/usr/portage.xz.sqfs"
MOUNT_PATH="/usr/portage"

die() {
echo "$@" >&2
exit 1
}

[[ $EUID -eq 0 ]] || die "This script must be run as root"

echo "Downloading $SNAPSHOT_URL"
$DOWNLOAD_BIN "$SNAPSHOT_URL" -o "$DEST_FILE"".NEW" &> /dev/null \
|| die "Failed to download file"

if [[ -f "$DEST_FILE" ]]; then
echo "Backing up $DEST_FILE"
mv "$DEST_FILE" "$DEST_FILE"".OLD" || die "Filed to move file"
fi

mv "$DEST_FILE"".NEW" "$DEST_FILE" || die "Filed to move file"

echo "Remounting $MOUNT_PATH"
if mount | grep "$MOUNT_PATH" > /dev/null; then
umount "$MOUNT_PATH" || die "Failed to unmount $MOUNT_PATH"
fi
mount "$MOUNT_PATH" || die "Failed to mount $MOUNT_PATH"

if [[ -f "$DEST_FILE"".OLD" ]]; then
echo "Cleaning up"
rm "$DEST_FILE"".OLD"
fi

echo "Done"

Also I would suggest all the new Gentoo users to set ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE" in make.conf, I remember having some non-free packages installed without realizing it.

Some handy aliases for emerge and rc-service command:
alias sc="doas rc-service"
alias e="doas emerge"
alias es="doas emerge --sync"
alias ee="doas emerge -uDU @world"
alias eu="doas emerge --unmerge"
alias ec="doas emerge --depclean && doas eclean-dist -d"

Attached: make.conf.png (1054x661, 138K)

Why doas over sudo?

gentoo

Attached: j8iu6yt.jpg (675x675, 54K)

look through wiki. everything is explained, even amdgpu and how to set up the kernel. if you dont want to configure the kernel manually like some people then easier option is to just a use a complete kernel config like from here: git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/config?h=packages/linux

why dont you have atleast "-march native" in cflags? its recommended.

maybe some small perfomance benefit but its not noticable. its more about customizability. not rlly ok to compile a package with some random shit that you never use. its just bloating your system. all the packages that I have on my system are compiled just for my usage case. nothing is compiled with unnecesary shit

from sudo ebuild:
CDEPEND="
sys-libs/zlib:=
gcrypt? ( dev-libs/libgcrypt:= )
ldap? (
>=net-nds/openldap-2.1.30-r1
dev-libs/cyrus-sasl
)
openssl? ( dev-libs/openssl:0= )
pam? ( virtual/pam )
sasl? ( dev-libs/cyrus-sasl )
skey? ( >=sys-auth/skey-1.1.5-r1 )
sssd? ( sys-auth/sssd[sudo] )
"
RDEPEND="
${CDEPEND}
>=app-misc/editor-wrapper-3
virtual/editor
ldap? ( dev-lang/perl )
pam? ( sys-auth/pambase )
selinux? ( sec-policy/selinux-sudo )
sendmail? ( virtual/mta )
"
DEPEND="
${CDEPEND}
sys-devel/bison
"

from doas ebuild:
RDEPEND="pam? ( virtual/pam )"
DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
virtual/yacc"

also look at their source code:
wwwsudows/repos/sudo/file/tip/src
cvswebopenbsdorg/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/doas/

sudo is trying to do way too much than it should. A lot of people talk about how bloated systemd is but blindly ignore all the other bloated programs in GNU/Linux world. I might just switch to OpenBSD one day.

I used to do cross compilation for my banana pi

Gotta go fast
CFLAGS="-g0 -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER -pipe -O3 -march=pentium4 -fweb -funswitch-loops -funroll-all-loops -funit-at-a-time -fsched2-use-traces -fsched2-use-superblocks -fsched-stalled-insns=12 -frename-registers -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fpeel-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -fmerge-all-constants -finline-limit=32768 -finline-functions -ffunction-sections -ffast-math -fdata-sections -fbranch-target-load-optimize2"

Thinking about trying Lubuntu again since they added lxqt, how is it compared to lxde? Also thinking about trying budgie. This is coming from someone who used Ubuntu for 4 years.

I kept trying to do it on x86, shit would freeze after emerge genkernel -_-. Could be from laptop overheating? I have it on my modern laptop though...

I just completed my first install, used the desktop profile without systemd and haven’t installed anything besides vim yet. Do I need to look into anything before setting that Free flag? Like, will a lot of things break after recompiling with that if I don’t prepare ahead of time? I’d like to go full free.

MAKEOPT="-j4 -l6.0"

INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics wacom"

USE="
alsa -pulseaudio
-gnome
zsh-completion vim-syntax
libressl
ipv6 idn
cjk nls unicode
truetype type1 cleartype
"

PORTAGE_BINHOST="ssh://***@***/var/cache/portage/packages"

#CURL_SSL="libressl"
CURL_SSL="gnutls"

I should change curl back to libressl. Or maybe better write an ebuild that can have multiple versions installed at once.

>tfw 2m

Attached: desktop.png (2560x1440, 1.8M)

nice wp

>haven’t installed anything besides vim yet
Then only non-free package on your system will be gentoo-sources. You'll have to explicitly accept license for gentoo-sources. Here's how to do it:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.license
Then use the kernel deblob guide to make your kernel free:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Deblobing

>will a lot of things break after recompiling with that if I don’t prepare ahead of time?
ACCEPT_LICENSE doesn't affect any packages, setting it to @FREE will mask (block) any non-free (see wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/License_groups for more details on what is considered non-free) package. You can still install non-free packages by explicitly unmasking (unblocking) them.

Cool, thanks for the info

>10 hours on 4770
kek, my laptop takes less than 4 hours for my setup, though it would really depend on what you're installing. I usually avoid large bloated programs written in C++, packages that depend on libboost, etc. Only exceptions are GCC and firefox, there's no way to avoid GCC, but for firefox, I use firefox-bin.

t. has never used it so actually has no idea

Yea, I can boot up almost any permutation of x86_64 hardware and it can work.

I've replaced the whole hardware underneath a Gentoo install with more modern one once and individual parts another time (preparation was merely running genkernel and installing ati-drivers back when), and it still worked.

Not entirely sure what things didn't work, you might have more annoying issues if you're running a specialized kernel or such.

>It's much faster to just download the updated image and remount it than doing a sync using rsync.
Seems reasonable. That said, you know you also could use git for very fast updates, right?

From my >10 years of experience, no. Not a chance.

Gentoo uses little of your time to maintain once you've got it installed. And even compile times are quite short with current CPU, never mind that even 10 years ago you could just continue doing your stuff while it compiled, mainly as long as you had some RAM.

>could use git for very fast updates, right?
Is that wise? Since their git got compromised

>after they update from the 4.14 kernel
Uh, they long had gentoo-sources 4.19/20. Just accept ~arch for that.

Alternatively, directly git clone linux stable or such into /usr/src/ and use that, Gentoo really doesn't care as long as the current sauces are symlinked (ln -s) to /usr/src/linux , even genkernel / genkernel-next and so on operate on that, as do all ebuilds that check or compile against the kernel.

Gentoo's git never got compromised, only some github mirror.

Even then, Gentoo has signatures on the ebuilds and manifests and so on, so actually random compromised mirrors cannot appear as though they had legitimate ebuilds or even legitimate sauce tarballs.

(cont'd)
Here: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Portage_Security

Good to know, I didn't know a lot about the whole affair.

I'm pretty new at gentoo but the more I use it the more I like it. I don't get why everyone complains about compile times, it's not that bad except for browsers. But even then a bin is available.

so if I accept keyword ~amd64 from the start of the install genkernel will also work and ill basically be on bleeding edge?

I'm going to compile my own kernel but not at the start

Attached: 8F99CBCDD26B4644A0C9764A6BF2EBCF.jpg (371x509, 46K)

Bleeding edge is git-sources
gentoo-sources with ~amd64 is stable upstream.

what firewall do you use Jow Forums

Attached: 51249911_10156108109856167_5464768219648622592_n.jpg (480x406, 29K)

Did fresh install. Ethernet not working...what do?

did you check if your interface is enabled?

ip link if you don't already know