2 billion users

>2 billion users
>most, or possibly even more, also use instagram and facebook
>ignoring countries like India, it's still popular in the West
What can we do about the centralization of modern communications and social media? Why are most people so oblivious?

Attached: whatsapp-messenger.jpg (2000x1125, 127K)

i was forced to use ut wheb i goittt morried
me wiphs semds me normie stuff
i wish i wasmrt a dad

Being able to talk to a large fraction of the western world, and a relevant chunk of the rest too, is pretty nice.

Provide a good (!) decentralized alternative.

XMPP. It's what WhatsApp is using for its backend anyway.

Seems like there's one potentially good mobile client (Conversations) and it doesn't have encryption by default, it requires Omemo (whatever the fuck that is). Even then, encryption is only for 1to1 chats.
Also Conversations isn't free (gratis).

I said good and that's significantly worse from a just werks normie-friendly perspective.

>Why are most people so oblivious?

1. Want to get laid
2. Hot dumb gurl is using "Facebook Ltd Data Scraper Mobile TM"
3. Suck it up because you want a chance with her.

ps- getting harder captchas for posting comments critical of FB, lol

Signal

Attached: I.png (625x605, 112K)

XMPP is basically an email alternative / email chat. A decentralized IM would be Tox and Briar.

>signal
If you're going to use a centralized service then at least use something that isn't utter shit, like Wire or Riot.im.

Based strokeposter

Define 'centralized'.

>it doesn't have encryption by default
true, you need to click 1 (one) button on screen to enable it
>encryption is only for 1to1 chats
wrong, but from what I've heard it gets buggy for bigger (5+ participants) conversations
>Also Conversations isn't free (gratis).
Isn't it? I believe it's on open license, no reason why you wouldn't be able to download it from f-droid or compile it yourself. Also, there are several forks of conversations.

My main concern with xmpp and the reason that makes me use Wire instead is that there's not a single normie-friendly desktop / web client that supports omemo.

how does it make money?
>inb4 selling data
nope, otherwise EU and many countries would have blocked it already.

shill matrix, the ONLY protocol that is making federated communication like email and the ONLY One that will be around in decades to come.
Everything else is dead.
Get people to use riot or any other app on the matrix spec.

I never really liked whatsapp but my shitty third world country uses it for everything so I'm kinda forced to use it.

Riot *is* utter shit, their KEX implementation is atrocious

t. Telegram shill

AFAIRemember they used to "charge" money for it after some time of usage, there was a way to skip that.

Now, they're goingo to show ads in the status, just like instagram.

t. Kikebook rent boy

Do you really not know what "centralized" means?

Signal is literally a non-option since it requires a SIM card to register. I'm not saying Riot is great, but at least it's good enough.

wire. saves. metadata.
"We kill people based on metadata." -US

this but unironically

>IP, time a message is sent, sender and recipient
It's literally nothing. The communication itself is completely encrypted.

This is exactly the same as WhatsApp except that's proprietary
Signal on the other hand doesn't even have the ability to see that metadata with sealed sender

why Jow Forums like those comics? are cringe level as some tumblr shit

>IP, time a message is sent, sender and recipient
It's literally nothing. The communication itself is completely encrypted.
You obviously don't know how metadata can be used. This is exactly the type of trail you don't want to leave. IP-Address and time correlation will be strong evidence in court.

All online communication is botnet people who want privacy don't mention anything online

Attached: 1_2kLD3EnaJ-6INo0O-MvjzQ.jpg (612x440, 75K)