>0 hope
>learn python to keep from thinking of dismal future and killing myself
>start automating a few job things
>use saved time to learn more shit
>pick up SQL too
>secretly automate most of my teams work
>dream of doing this shit full time
>apply to some programming focused jobs but not expecting shit
>got hired after 1 week as a Senior Data Scientist and data engineer making twice my current salary
>get to build data pipelines, automate shit, and experiment with neural networks for practical uses
We’re all gonna make it anons. Yes even YOU.
Post stories to inspire others to keep working hard.

Attached: F39C5D25-E97D-479E-8DCB-8B99BDAF6B0B.png (680x680, 76K)

Attached: 1509924135117.gif (141x141, 615K)

>be me
>today
>did not shit my pants

>tfw you did this but then realized technology is evil and modern development and innovation are horrible facade we willingly crucify ourselves on
32 yo doomer here. Time to die.

I'm proud of you, user!

I want to be DS/Machine Learning too, unfortun. i am unemployed! Should i take junior admin job? I wonder if you IT/Admin helped you with getting programming job? I had like 2 programming job interviews both failed

>got hired after 1 week as a Senior Data Scientist and data engineer making twice my current salary
How did you get hired as a senior data scientist without having prior experience as a data scientist?

I had no IT background at all. The admin was like medical research operations shit. Literal fucking NPC work.

>DS/Machine Learning
1. Data science and machine learning are not close to being the same thing
2. For actual work within either or these fields you're going to need a MSc at the least.

So is programming

Attached: 2.png (1000x1000, 247K)

I demonstrated that I could use data science principles and concepts in ways that are practical and valuable to businesses. This also demonstrated how quickly I could learn and improve. It also helps that I enjoy this shit genuinely. I like seeing my work translate to practical benefits for other ppl by making their life at work a little easier.

Learn everything you can with that free time. Create something with said skills that proves your capabilities. If you can impress, you can get any job you want. My brother taught me that. He has consistently acquired jobs that he isn't qualified for, then does well anyway. You just have to step up and learn. I believe you can do the same!

This user is correct. If you enjoy learning and are disciplined enough to stick with something til you really get it and can show you get it, then the world is yours.

Excuse me, is this the LARPing general?
I programmed an AI once, but it escaped so I don't have any proof now, kek

No need to be rude user. AI shit isn’t that difficult for simple tasks. We’re not talking about something in computational biology or something

isnt data science just data mining? both ds and ml are based on statistics, no?
sure bro! I learned from Nightcrawler what motivated fast learner is capable of!

based tedposter.

I have a wife(male) with a thick dick. I make $1kk a month. I have superpowers and am descendant to Gengis Khan.

>isnt data science just data mining? both ds and ml are based on statistics, no?
Data science is not just mining, it's more of applied stats from what I understand. ML is calculus, linear algebra, stats, and probability all in one. You need advanced level maths to work in the field.

Start mailing bombs.

GODSPEED MOTHERFUCKER

"Senior" requires previous experience at that position, regardless of how talented and skilled you are.
Nice LARPing though.

t. Never worked a real job before

>data science
It's a meme

I do actually, and no company would hire an admin who learned Python in his free time as a senior data scientist. You can keep embarrassing yourself though.

Really? Cause that offer letter, salary, paperwork, and my new boss all seemed pretty really but ok.
You must be a purist Scientist. Got news for you buddy. Businesses care about practical application and not high level nerd shit. If you can understand enough to deliver solutions, like I did and like other can as well, you’re in.

If that's the case, I highly question your SLT. Good luck, the company might not even exist in a year.

>Nightcrawler
?

Living the dream

Dont listen to this fag.
Keep on trucking and run to the hills if you fuck up

>be me
>retard
>fail highschool math
>end up working 12 hours a day to pay rent
>4 years later retake highschool math
>just barely pass
>apply for college expecting to get overlooked
>"We'd like to offer you a seat at our course for object oriented software development"
>YOU CAN'T STOP ME MY TIME IS NOW
>have enough banked for the time it'll take me to finish the course
>95% in industry placement for those that complete
>half way through now
>sitting at mostly 90%
>I have been given the opportunity to unfuck my life and that's exactly what I plan to do
>learning what I want to
>working with what I like
I did it boys, I'm free

Attached: UYxZrxW.png (324x432, 259K)

24 is too old in technology. Everyone is always learning now so the simple math dictates that you cannot catch up.

unironically good job, user.

>t. zoomer

its the perfect age to command authority towards both newgrads and people that matter

Hell yeah user. oop is going to be around for a while so enjoy it

If you're saying "enough is enough" at 24 I feel you're ahead of the curve

I believe this more than OP's story

>average to below average computer science student
>work at average jobs for about 9 years
>turn 30
>decide enough is enough
>good friend from a past job gets a job at Google
>another good friend from college gets a job at Google
>both tell me what they practiced to make it through the tier 1 tech company interview
>study up on Cracking the Coding Interview & doing leetcode exercises daily for 2 months
>just got accepted at a FAANG company making insanely cool software while receiving a comical amount of compensation.

It's literally a dream come true. After being middling throughout my 20s, I'm in the major leagues of software development now. My pay grade is putting me in a tier where I can save up millions in just a couple years. I'm starting soon and I cannot fucking wait. Anyone can do it if they put in the effort, and let me say, it's worth.

Senior, like everything else about a job title is bullshit retard. If they felt he met the check marks for senior developer position, then he's a senior developer whether you like it or not.

sneed

>out of college
>no job experience
>no internship experience
>rejected by 1000 companies
>stop going outside
>leetcode all day like a fucking dweeb
>apply to a major tech
>ace technical interviews
>get in
>move out
>family proud

cant complain, things going pretty well rn

31 year old *oomer here. Shit job as a paramedic. Just got an old Dell D630 to fuck around with Ubuntu. Turns out its pretty neat. Just enrolled in a C course. Is there hope? I'm not too old am I?

Attached: 2newcm.jpg (300x300, 36K)

>69600176
>good friend from a past job gets a job at Google
>another good friend from college gets a job at Google
>just got accepted at a FAANG company
I wonder which one.

In all serious, very similar situation desu, a few friends at the FAANGs, except no desire for any of them. I've been at large orgs, it's not fun to be a small, easily replaceable cog in a giant machine. Smaller orgs are where it's at IMO, where you have more ability to make an impact and are more essential to the outcome.

Attached: 1542088674257.jpg (630x536, 46K)

Are all these leetcode posts subtle advertising or something?
They basically all have the same story to them. Study hard, magically get job in some sf tier company (FANG or whatever faggy buzzword they call it), magic promises of big sums of money.

have you considered a career in journalism?

>Turn down conditional MIT acceptance for compEng after highschool because poor
>father passes to MS, spend 8 months suicidal depressive
>get A+, 3mo of experience working goysquad
>get hired by an ISP/hosting company, instaquit goysquad
>working as a NOC / T1 is a special hell, stagnate in alcoholism
>layed off after three years, company not doing well.
>get my shit together, get CCNP, learn C++, learn Python
>get new job, different ISP, working as a senior network admin
>we buy a hosting company, I spend two months virtualizing and automating everything possible
>suddenly the hosting company is a profit centre, no longer losing customers, my salary reflects.

We're going to make it, anons. never give up.

is a CS degree even worth it then? Wouldn't it be better to just go to a technical college instead since they provide more practical work instead of just learning theory?

You'll get stumped in the technical portion of the interview unless you have strong theory background. Knowing a variety of data structures and algorithms that operate on them are necessary and those will get drilled into you in your CS degree.

It's not a meme, it worked for me. You have to play the game to get in, the game is do leetcode and have referrals or a good job history.

>there is only today
well done user

If I had to do it again in 2019:
No college or school. Daily Leetcode. Be able to do the top 100 challenges on the site. Understand the solutions. Read Cracking the Coding Interview and complete all of the challenges. Daily Github with random projects. Daily whiteboarding.
Have a portfolio website linking to Github and LC (optional). Make a blog post about a tech project (think marketing). Contribute to a couple popular open source projects.
Be willing to relocate to the Bay Area.
By the time your would-be peers are graduating, you'll have 3+ years of industry exp., and a path to better roles.
This formula is enough to get an entry level engineering job. I've seen similar situations many times, not even that long ago.

just look up compensation statistics on degree vs no degree. If you think of it as an investment, it is low risk high return, especially considering low interest loans and scholarships. Not saying you can't do better without on, but if we're going strictly by probability it just makes sense to get a degree

While this isn't infeasible, if we're being realistic it is pretty bad advice. Nobody in their right mind would push their child down this path over a relatively safe investment in education

>be me
>one more day thinking about suicide
>not doing it

is this supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing?

>dead end shit admin job at a hospital entering patient referrals
>have nothing to my name but an Honours degree in Science (an industry killed by budget cuts) and 35k of student debt
>27 years old
>no prospects
>no hope
I'm not gonna make it.

Attached: 1531893466261.png (961x561, 918K)

Nobody said the path is easy, and likewise nobody should be pushed to go that direction. The post was in the spirit of OP's pic - it's just what I would do, and shouldn't be taken as advice.
Of course there's risk, but also reward. Hypothetically, if it didn't work out and I couldn't make it after a year or two, whose to say I couldn't start attending school?

>Create something with said skills that proves your capabilities
this. when i look over resumes, i always check github and any other websites listed, and i take notes about contributions and projects i see. the people who have built stuff in their free time always start out in a better position in interviews. even if you're busy with classes, throw together some python stuff like something to auto-push a json file to s3 or something, it's a good starting point.
my favorite so far was coming across a forum written in rails. it wasn't the most polished but it was the most extensive thing ive seen anyone build on their own in college, and i specifically asked about it during his interview just to make sure he didn't clone another repo (he ended up being the first person we sent an offer to)
what you put up will probably be looked at, and if you can talk about your skills and relate them back to your work, it makes you a much better candidate.

Get the CS degree.
I wrote and didn't mean for it to come off sounding like advice. It's not. The safe, reliable path is the CS degree. Doing projects on the side helps too!

proud of you user. wish I could find that fire in myself.

>Be me
>former recreational drug user
>no gf no money no real friends
>decide to go die in a war
>go to war
>don't die
>have college benefits now and money
>apply for more benefits
>technically homeless on paper
>get more money
>go to college
>get free college and even more money
>try to get into electrical engineering
>advisor fucks me over
>end up as manufacturing engineer
>slated to make more money than EEs
>people kinda like me now

All these accomplishments and I still can't truly smile joyfully. I'm hoping that once the cash comes in and I can buy what my heart desires I'll be a lot more happy. At least that's what I tell myself. Worst comes to worst I go find another war, or I force myself into world I don't belong.

Attached: Mustangbros.jpg (792x515, 82K)

>get hired after 1 week as Senior Data Scientist
>no work experience in programming
fake and gay
sage

Lmao IT admins know Jack about programming.
This is realistic as fuck.

Why do you stupid faggots fall for such obvious LARP? Goddamn this is ridiculous. Then some of you morons wonder why nobody wants to give you a fucking job.

What's larp about it, or are you just gonna sit there as a CS dropout and talk shit?

be 26
havnt worked in 2 years
savings getting low
get burst of motivation
study basic admin shit for 2 months
starting intro net admin class next week
no motivation to study any more since im joining a class
i might make it

Fuck off.

>be 21
>part time wagie at a warehouse making $2,400 a month
>chose to have a regular life with regular bills that prevent me from just up and leaving
>work 10-12 exhausting hours daily
>never have energy or willpower to do something that isn’t paid work
Am I fucked? Is my work ethic totally fucked? My brain literally blanks when I try to do something productive for myself rather than for money.

>getting a senior position with no experience
should've stopped reading there

>one year ago
>ready to kill myself becaues I can't get an internship
>not eating well, not doing anything except applying to internships and doing schoolwork
>don't get one and consider dropping out over the summer
>now have a 95k job lined up before i graduate

And?

>get a project engineering job in an industry that crashes the year I graduate
>work is shitty
>life is shitty
>no hope of upward movement
>industry is probably going to be dead by late career anyway
>pay is shitty and company wide paycuts start happening
>have to travel for months at a time for work
>no life
>considering suicide
>have "free time" at work that involves sitting at a desk watching a video feed waiting for something to happen
>start playing KSP
>get really into it
>start reading orbital mechanics books
>then analytical dynamics
>then optimal controls and orbital situational awareness
>then convex optimization
>start writing my own autopilot plugins for KSP
>write my own physics simulators because KSP isn't realistic enough
>decide to apply to grad school
>get into a graduate program
>quit my job and get a graduate degree
>get hired doing what I was doing in KSP, but in real life

deep

>have a job already
>pick up skills
>get better job

Duh?

did you work in car industry?

>start reading orbital mechanics books
>then analytical dynamics
>then optimal controls and orbital situational awareness
>then convex optimization
>start writing my own autopilot plugins for KSP
>write my own physics simulators because KSP isn't realistic enough
Really makes me want to try myself.

>multiple PhD in CS
>created many successful software all by myself
>no one is willing to hire me
>not even McDonald
>forced to sell my body
>still no customer

It seems like in the US you just need to half-ass some stuff and you'll get immediately handed a high-paying IT job. In what normal society could you become a "senior data scientist and engineer" with basic python and SQL skills?

>learn to code lmao

Honestly it depends on how smart and disciplined you are. If you have the discipline fuck no learn it on your own and start building projects. If you lack the discipline which is okay most people do just go to college. Still not a guarantee though and you should still work on projects.

As a 24 years old you kinda motivated me among all these depression memes even though the picture is kinda cringey

Hi Luke

AI doesn't necessarily have a physical body you sod

However it's a nice hook to tell my story
>be me 4 years ago
>23 years old
>white straight male with a Christian background
>all companies around me are focused on diversities so I really had to shine to get hired
>get an aeronautical engineering bachelor's because I fell for the space meme, but it was a shitty decision since positions are few there and it's a way more braindead job than it seems, so they put a lot of women and other categories that make them look good. also administration makes shitty decisions in general.
>switch to Robotics in my Msc
>love it since the beginning and study a lot
>get the degree in 3 years but with high grades and learning a lot through spending more time on taking some things slower
>now I work in a company which does medical robotics and I facilitate surgeons in their work

L O L

>admin to Senior DS in a week

nnnnnope no you didn't

what was your resume getting into it?
how many years of experience do you have?
t. guy who made three posts about contemplating an hero

fuck yeah dude

you're not too old
learn C and if you like it you might learn some OOP language to increase your employability
you might also learn web

i still hate myself because most of the people i know are 20 and making three times as much money as i am
i fucking hate myself and i'll never catch up

You can't think that way user, there are also 20 somethings making way less than you. Just do you and live below your means/save your schmeckles.

>Just do you and live below your means/save your schmeckles.
i hate being years behind though.
it's as if i'm doing a speedrun of life and every goal i hit is timestamped with "-3 years"
even then my chance to enjoy my youth was wasted.

>be SAP administrator
>on a company's biggest burning hellhole of a project

>be me
>apply for a traineeship
>realize I planned a vacation in the middle of it
Not gonna make it.

>>learn python
stopped right there.

>have math background
>know python,java and c++
>I've been practicing on kaggle for at least a year
>still think I am too incompetent to apply for a job
I just need courage at this point. I have shit mentality

I know that feel. Just start applying and learn from your failures.

kek

cute story
you're not getting industry placement
sorry to crush your dreams.

Same desu.

>Anyone can do it
Most people don't have friends who can tell us precisely what to study to ace some interview, nor do tey have 2+ months to just fuck off doing programming exercise.

>>rejected by 1000 companies
i'm on this step

>I've been at large orgs, it's not fun to be a small, easily replaceable cog in a giant machine. Smaller orgs are where it's at IMO, where you have more ability to make an impact and are more essential to the outcome.
I have done both and hate both, but I tend to agree that it's nice to see your work actually make a difference