Windows

> Windows
> New version every five years or so or keep running 7 forever
> Linux
> Update, break it all the time and a new version of distro every fucking month to install

Linux is a meme timesink

Attached: 1296757805624.jpg (450x600, 30K)

people use linux as a fuck you to the world and to make themselves feel good

not because it makes objective sense in terms of which OS meets their needs with a minimum of fuss

what keeps you from running the same gnu/linux version forever

Attached: 1490618502403.png (400x300, 39K)

Why are all the top super computers in the world use linux then?

>Why are all the top super computers in the world use linux then?
That kind of linux is completely different than trying to make linux work on a desktop for normal office and multimedia and personal use

there are far more windows and iOS programs that are far more refined for desktop purposes in windows than linux

linux will take you more hours per year of fucking with than windows, period

Linux was made for computers, not people.

NVIDIA DRIVERS

>t. never used Ubuntu in their life and thinks every Linux distro is like Arch
I use it because it gives me less input lag in rhythm games that aren't even native to Linux and because ALSA is superior to Wasapi. That doesn't fit your stawman too well, now does it?
Delusions from pic related

Attached: 1434159809659.png (1300x842, 206K)

unbuntu is an easy version of linux to use but it offers no benefit in a desktop environment to windows and there are far less programs that run natively on it and the ones that do are less refined

of what benefit is there to using unbutu to the average users? Less software is not a benefit

Then there is OS X which apple has been using forever. You don't see OS XI.

Microsoft BTFO, Linux BTFO

>t. someone who doesn’t know what “t.” means
>has never heard of post-purchase rationalization

Why do retards always appeal to the "top super computers" in the context of GNU/Linux desktop use? It's as bad as the empty-headed ThinkPad shills that tell you they're the toughest laptops around because NASA bolted some on the walls of the ISS.

Prestige by association.

linux is such a fucking waste of time

if i wanted to waste time i'd use windows, at least there installing toys to play with is easy. linux is all foreplay and no sex

I guess if ignore all the times windows decides to just delete shit after an update ok

Let's take a look at th negatives you found:
>low software compatibility
>....
Oh wait, that's it.
If you judge an OS' quality by software compatibility alone, you should stop browsing this board for our own good, and your own good.
>>t. someone who doesn’t know what “t.” means
Yup, forgot to type "someone".
>>post-purchase rationalization
Okay then, if I'm so darn biased, YOU give me an ""objective"" argument for why desktop Windows is better than desktop Linux. I'll wait. If you're too [insert excuse here] to argue for it, I'll give on for Linux.

Attached: 1546708021074 (1).png (1662x1617, 1.58M)

>If you judge an OS' quality by software compatibility alone, you should stop browsing this board for our own good, and your own good.
what do you base that on

do you think the average computer user is better served by having many high quality and refined options in every category of desktop software available or having some kernel process be 3% more efficient in theory

If it can survive on space. It can survive in yo average office environment. Same goes for linux. If it's good enough for a supercomputer, it's good enough for yo average nerd

>Linux
>Update, break it all the time
this never happens
>and a new version of distro every fucking month to install
this does however

>Update, break it all the time and a new version of distro every fucking month to install

Unlike with Windows, I can actually choose when and what to update. I've used Linux on and off for over 10 years, as my laptop OS for 6 years, and as my main desktop OS for 4 years. In that time, I've only had one update fuck up my system, which was a kernel update last year that fucked up my sound drivers in Virtual Box. I was too lazy to fix VB so I just reloaded the previous kernel on boot and there have been no issues.

>If it's good enough for a supercomputer, it's good enough for yo average nerd
that is actually not true, most super computers exist to distribute cycles between thousands and thousands of networked cores and not much else

of what benefit would that be to someone running a laptop who needs to use excel?

>>t. never used Ubuntu in their life and thinks every Linux distro is like Arch
While this is mostly true, Ubuntu is a bad example. I've never had Fedora, RHEL, OpenSUSE, Mint or Debian break on me. But I have had Ubuntu break on me before. Ubuntu is just a really shitty distro. Maybe it's better now. But version 14 or so was a mess.

I just assume anyone saying "hurdur updates break linux all the time!" is just a fucking retard and full of shit because Windows totally never fucks anything up with updates amirite?

Get debian stable fag

Any post criticizing Linux is immediately shot down by someone who's been using it for years

it's all ass backwards and pants-on-retarded until the stupid fucking OS brings you down to its level. next thing you know, you're speaking its language and doing its bidding. So yeah the OS only makes sense if you devote literally every waking moment of your life to it and the only people who've done that are so so far gone. If you want to be a knuckle dragging troglodyte who obsesses over every single little thing and gets their rocks off by having to tackle a learning curve by all means

Attached: 1537852942913.jpg (496x600, 34K)

The point to running linux as a desktop used to be that it was free and windows was too expensive, but retail windows is basically free now

there is no good reason for a normal person to use a linux desktop OS. Linuxfags got brainwashed by trying to save $150 one time 10 years ago and don't realize windows is basically free now

Ubuntu is unironically more stable, easier to use and faster than Windows 10.

>new version of distro every fucking month to install
its pronounced, "rolling release distro"

>stupid fucking OS brings you down to its level.

Yeah, when I'm using Windows, I'm the one in charge! No preinstalled software, no ads, no forced updates, no built in tracking, no "apps" that reinstall themselves no matter how often you remove them, easily customizable, it never fucks with my boot loader, no vague error messages, you can remove any component you need, etc.

What the fuck are you talking about? Windows is the complete fucking opposite of control forces you to use the Computer as it allows. OS X isn't even as bad.

This. However I'm a faggot because I use Unity on 18.04.

Then don't use an unstable distro dummy like arch dummy. Install linux mint to get the hang of things.

Just use centos.

>If you judge an OS' quality by software compatibility alone
You just went full retard user.

>people use linux as a fuck you to the world

Not to the world. Just to the Microsoft.

Linux runs way better than windows on low end systems, while keeping them somewhat modern

But they're not being used in space, they're being used sparingly and carefully in a heavily shielded, pressurized cabin that's arguably far more optimal than typical surface conditions, and they're rarely removed from their wall mounts. To anyone with even the slightest understanding of their actual use on the ISS, the "ThinkPads are used in space" gimmick is utterly meaningless and plain marketing bullshit.

Likewise, Supercomputer usage doesn't mean shit because the use cases, workloads and expectations are entirely different and the only people who try to appeal to it are morons who know nothing about any of that, or shills who are purposefully glossing over the details. Many architectures and platforms with plentiful representation in high-performance computing over the years have proven woefully inadequate or even useless for desktop systems.

Only if you're comparing the latest versions, people bloating out pre-Pentium III systems with Linux distributions rather than their contemporary Windows versions for anything but server use are generally retards.

>>t. someone who doesn’t know what “t.” means
He used it right you autist, lurk more

Best option is dual boot. There's way too many top tier CAD, CAE and CFD programs which are either windows only or linux only to go to just one OS.
The only OS with no value is macOS

Nah, "t." is short for "Terveisin" or basically "Regards" in Finnish, what he said made no sense and is the newfaggot-tier usage which you think is correct probably only because you've only seen it as the second-hand Jow Forums meme it became after it spread from Jow Forums.

t. former Jow Forums regular

>implying Jow Forums matters
>t. retard

Web developers seem to like macos and often use macbooks. There must be something behind it.

Well, yeah, where do you think it came from? This was before Jow Forums had flags.

This.
Windows 7/8.1 were great. 10 years of solid usage with only security updates, meanwhile Loonix distros get abandoned every 2 years and freecucks are FORCED to upgrade or get no security patches. Applel does the same bullshit supporting each toyOS release for only 2 years.

Microsoft basically adopted the retarded loonix 18-month upgrade cycle for W10, and now they're getting the same bullshit from it, with major showstoppers like deleted files from upgrades which are common with loonix system upgrades.

At least LTSC still exists.

Attached: 1545772325860.png (962x934, 293K)

The deleting file update was manual only and quickly pulled even from that. Took a long time before it was available automatically. Something affecting 0.01% of users is a non-issue. This one just got press because no one knows how to backup their data

Wow, I've been so lucky. Running Arch for 3 years now and I've always blindly updated, haven't broken anything yet.

>Running Arch
>I've always blindly updated
The absolute madman.

I've had probably 3 data loss causing upgrades running linux over the years. Thing is, I run linux only on my spare laptops since I never trusted them much to begin with, and never keep much data on them. It's basically to be expected at this point so when it inevitably happens it's not even surprising much less newsworthy, especially when they probably have backups as well from previous lessons learned. Linux users are also far more likely to be technically inclined and know how to fix these problems and recover their own data, whereas a normie would scream bloody murder if it ever happened on Windows.

Don't forget wine and proton that allow Windows native programs to run on Linux distributions clinics is getting really close to running almost every piece of software that can run on Windows and since you can make links look like the Windows 7 arrow desktop environment I might as well ride Windows 7 until the end

Attached: 58687_Talbotlynx_rainbowspockvomit.gif (100x62, 77K)

linux*

What you hear on g is "I just tried this and it works winshit btfo", just because a website or some linuxfangirl say it does doesn't mean shit. It may launch but be unusable or not actually work.
Test the programs fully that you need yourself, make sure they actually work.

>>a new distro every fucking month to install
This. We need more people to help update old distros. That is something we can't do with old Windows

>update antergos after few months of not using
>it breaks

this never happens, right?

i've been using the same installation of linux since before windows 8 came out
rolling release ftw

i left a VM of arch linux alone for about 7 months and went to update it the other day
i had to update the archlinux keyring package manually, and accept a couple package name changes, but that was it

>winfag has the audacity to mention updates
OH NO NO NO

The funniest thing, of course, is that MS forces Win10's updates, and yet they are seemingly incapable of making the damn things install smoothly at least.

>what is Debian

>> New version every five years
i don't know where you've been, but for the last few years windows has been getting feature updates every 6 months, and there's no more versions of windows, ever. windows 10 is the final release

>> Update, break it all the time and a new version of distro every fucking month to install
Only if you're a retard.
Just because you spend all your time on facefuck doesn't mean everyone else is the same as you.
I was less productive on windows than I ever was on linux. And I haven't reduced the amount of media I consume, so what changed? The operating system forced me to learn how to use my computer and then got out of my way.

This entire thread is just low quality bait.