How can we solve the robocall problem?

How can we solve the robocall problem?

Attached: robocalls.png (946x849, 797K)

Backtrace the calls
The consequences will never be the same again

Add an option to reject/sent to voice mail any incoming caller that isn't on your contact list. Done. I'll be awaiting my million dollar check from AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile, Apple and Google for saving the telephone.

>2019
>Having a landline

>2019
>rotary dial phone

Spammers dun goofed

Report them to the FBI.

I miss old Jow Forums.

i get scam calls on my cell phone all the time, it's so annoying

Force phone companies to reveal ANI (or IP addresses) of callers to recipients instead of the trivially spoofed Caller ID. Then you can block their real origins and create a subscription list to share with other cellphone users.

Not much use, they're out of the country and they spoof US numbers that aren't theirs.

Google is doing it. If you have an android phone they'll be marked.

>Not much use, they're out of the country and they spoof US numbers that aren't theirs.
There's no use in stopping me.
I report everything to
>FBI
>ADL
>NAACP
>MOSSAD
>TALIBAN
and whatever else that has a convenient online reporting page.

Hypothetically, if one were to send spam calls using senators' phone numbers as caller id, once enough of them are unable to make phone calls to any Android device without being marked as spam, the issue might be legislated properly.

mfw I reported my local McDonald's to the ADL, because they ran out if straws.
Not even Jewish, but it felt anti-Semitic.

Go for it but you're likely just inconveniencing some local person or business whose number has been spoofed by foreign callers at best, and doing nothing at worst.

You won't, since the carriers don't care in the slightest - they get paid for connecting a spam robocall just as much as for connecting a real call.

>2019
>using a phonograph

Idk but it's super annoying I never answer my phone anymore it's always spam.

>endless Obamacare scam calls
Thanks Obama

My phone allows me to block by area code, come at me scammers.

Most of the scam calls I get have my area code, and often the same next three digits of my phone number as well

Same. I keep notifications off entirely. I communicate with my friends and family via desktop chat clients.

I'll let the glow in the darks and Semites handle it okay.

track down one of the guys responsible and hang him publicly

Report robocallers to FBI. They'll handle it.

t. Robocaller
The FBI probably has an office in your country.

this already exists
> do not disturb settings > contacts only > yes
set phone to do not disturb and the phone will ring for your contacts
this is a problem however if somebody calls you on a private number for something important

I hate robocallers to the point where I'm considering just ditching phones entirely. But until phone companies are legislated to stop this shit and either verify caller id or reveal ani, it's mostly useless.

Set voicemail to disconect tone
Also make robocalls punishable by death

Attached: 62E7D986-312A-4EB2-BE85-54CDB0CB809A.jpg (220x139, 9K)

Thats somehow been bypassed on my phone have dnd on all the time still get robocalls

Attached: B32C0673-E02F-4AD9-BE4F-449156012CC4.jpg (300x293, 6K)

Black list all numbers except for numbers you program into your phone. Businesses (think your bank and whatnot) can set up QR codes for their customer service numbers so you can program those in to avoid missing calls.

It would be a short term solution, and work as well as using a nuke to get rid of the moles in your yard, but hey, it works.

Related note. I can't block all unknown numbers because sometimes I need to deal with unknown numbers for business reasons.

But is there a phone app for Android that will let me dismiss calls without hanging up on them? So the caller thinks it's still ringing but I can continue to work on whatever my previous task was before I was interrupted?

google's call screening is actually quite good for this, i wish more phone makers had something similar
my number's actually been spoofed for anthem health insurance, ive had to explain to 4 old ladies in the past few weeks that the caller id was faked. i think maybe 1 actually understood it? i kinda feel bad for them.

My area code is of a state and county I don't ever do business with, so I just completely ignore other local area code calls because they are obviously 100% bullshit.
That cuts down on 90% of it, and the rest is going to be the restricted or international or other shit.
It also helps to have a number that is off the record.
I have literally never gotten a single bullshit call on my second line.

have you got it set up correctly?
go through the settings and make sure its set to block calls , but be aware of the risks, such as missing potentially important calls if they're private number

>dismiss calls without hanging up on them
assuming the phone is unlocked, you can just swipe the notification up. it'll still be in the notification tray, and it'll continue ringing until voicemail picks up
if the phone is not unlocked (so it takes up the full screen), turn the screen back off

your contact should try send messages in Whatsapp/Telegram/Line/Sms before of call. You phone spammer always target landlines because they dont receive SMS or dont use anti-robocall apps

I'll try it out when I next get a call.

Captcha for phone calls

>i think maybe 1 actually understood it? i kinda feel bad for them.
This is what angers me the most. I can handle scammers, and we all know how to fuck with them.
But old people don't have a chance.

>Force phone companies to reveal ANI
Europoor here. Every time I read things like this I wonder what kind of a third world backwards phone system the US has. We don't have and never had this problem. You can either block caller ID (you can place calls with no ID) or it shows up.

What's with the US not having solved this a decade ago?

I want to make a program that adds a button to the call answer/reject screen. A third option: Earrape
What it will do is loop their voice back at them in a 0.2 ms offset. So think like holding two phones up to each other. It would become louder and more distored the more they talk. Please do this
Fuck robojeets

I get spam calls on the daily. I got my phone number like 4 years ago and I think the guy who had it before fucked up and bought some scammer's boner pills and dropped his number because of it. I still get occasional messages and calls from the guys contracts who don't know he switched numbers.
For random numbers, I just pick up, mute myself, go through any phone trees, connect with an actual person and waste their time with silence. I used to play along and let them waste ~10 minutes of their time while I worked, but it was too much effort to keep going. One call, some Pajeet asked for the previous guy, do I though it was a old contact, but it was a scammer asking if he wanted to buy more boner pills. I instantly knew the old number owner must have gotten duped and why he probably kept getting scam calls, mostly likely they sold his number to other scammers, and changed his phone number. When I told going the previous owner doesn't have my number anymore, the Pajeet quickly turned the conversation on how he has a great deal on pills that I should buy from him.
I'm just living with it since I like my number too much to change it, plus having to change everything tied to my phone number.

Attached: Screenshot_20190130-213120.png (720x1280, 105K)

The US is basically a third world country in the areas of phone infrastructure, internet infrastructure (with a few exceptions, I actually have a decent 300/300 symmetric connection), and payment processing (only recently got chip -and-pin, most places don't have tap-and-go payment support and neither do most cards).

I've had my number since at least 2004 and I get spam calls every single day. I report and block every number that calls me, but since they're spoofed it just doesn't end.

Many places in the US with chip and pin will still ask for a signature anyways. It's crazy.

Bank of america, citi, chase, they all think I’m the deadbeat who had the number in 2005 and owes them thousands of dollars. I can’t be bothered
Even the cops call me up asking for people who had this number. Why did I have to get an aids number. We should be able to pay for a virgin number that hasn’t been befouled yet

>go through any phone trees,
Pressing a number alone can open you up to getting charged tons of cash.

It'd be easier on everyone if telecoms just outright prevented such pay-by-phone options for international callpaths.

>What's with the US not having solved this a decade ago?
No clue. I'm not even sure why anons are having this problem. US here btw.
If a robocaller ever calls me I'll fucking report it to the FBI.

Is there a way to charge them instead? Can I make my cell phone a 900 number?

Make capitalism illegal.

All problems solved.

Attached: bbd.gif (325x325, 1.48M)

>theres a flaw in 150 year old technology
>obviously capitalism

Mr. Scam Likely calls me every single day, a lot of times twice a day. I don't use a ringtone or anything so its not too annoying.

ive had the same number since 07. i didnt have any scam calls until about a year ago, now i usually get 1 every other day
honestly the best idea ive read in awhile. i'll let you try to sell me useless shit, you're paying $2.99 for the first minute and $4.99 after that

How is this not a solved problem with honeypots?
Can't the FCC just put up a webpage that says "here's my number DO NOT CALL ME"
and disconnect every robot that calls it?

I have a voip setup for my number so when Indians call me I whisper for a while and then send the loudest audio I have over the line.

Attached: honeypot_big_logo-c551a80e.png (1000x715, 56K)

Kek another one for the comp

I use an app called robokiller (something like that) and it works pretty well. It is paid but it's something like $3/mo which is worth it to me to never get spam calls (which I don't anymore). On the slight occasion a call slips through (hardly ever) you can just blacklist the number and it gets added to their big spam numbers db.

I stopped getting robocalled after I started reporting each one of them to the FBI submit a crime page for cybercrimes.
I wonder if I'll get a medal.

shouldn't it be simple? when they call you they want something, so just track down the business and hit them with a $5 million fine
but our FCC is inept it seems

The problem is Chip and PIN is not standard in the US. It's Chip and Sign. Chip and PIN works perfectly here, the banks just don't push it. I've even billed a customer using a card he got in Europe that was Chip and PIN.
Probably not pushed because signature is optional (vendor's choice) but PIN would be required everywhere.

>most places don't have tap-and-go payment support and neither do most cards).
Is this true? I remember tap, and going in the US since the early 2000's. Are you sure that you know what you're talking about, or are you just bullshitting?

I remember reading somewhere that this was because retailers were deathly afraid of forcing customers to punch in PINs. Presumably because they know the intelligence of the average customer and aren't confident in their ability to memorize a four-digit number or do anything outside of the routine they've always done.

Not that user but I live on the East coast and even if we have them I guarantee most people don't use them here. I only see them at big stores.

Seems more like a myth that yurop likes to meme about the us than the truth. It's the equivalent of Americans thinking that the British have bad teeth, or that yurop as a whole don't shower/bathe daily.

The machines can do chip and pin but since they assume your average person is an idiot they're not all used that way. Honestly wish they just forced the transition instead of this babby mode shit. Also some places fall back to swiping when the pin doesn't work and some are still only swipe so CC theft hasn't gone down yet. Like I said, I wish this was forced. We have the systems we just need to use them.