Why doesn't Jow Forums get this?

Why doesn't Jow Forums get this?

Attached: GoxUIlT.jpg (1079x839, 522K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ibm.com/support/libraryserver/BOOKS/F29BDG00/CCONTENTS
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Literally, autism

Effective user interfaces are better than user interfaces catering to the lowest common denominator.

Luckily cli is easy to understand.

No wonder white women spread their legs for strong, athletic, tall BLACK MAN instead of a white beta incel in this board.

Attached: 1518674845773.png (898x904, 971K)

You on the left

Attached: 4ab.png (680x535, 529K)

> white women
Why are you so fixed on white women? Meanwhile black women marry beta incels to get out of ghettos, something that black men can't do.

Black women are rejects from Black MEN

We get it. We just think is not a 'skill' to make a decent one.

Taking pride in making UIs Is like saying 'I breathe very well'

a better bait than it looks

This has been a point of contention in every fucking workplace I've been in. Nothing reveals the ego of a programmer or designer then critiquing their user interface, even though that's literally what I'm hired to do. Nothing is more maddening than cargo cultish shitty design.

i have a great chin and im cel
not quite incel because i had to deny a few college thots who probably had diseases
but otherwise my personality keeps every girl who isnt absolute garbage away

unironically this
literally just type what you want and boom. no fiddling around hundreds of menus and tabs to look for the button that does what you want.
GUIs were a mistake.

It really depends what it is the gui is for

>user interface for a television, bank machine, photocopier, etc
should be simple and self explanatory, no reading of the manual needed

>user interface for a photo/video editor, 3d modeling program, etc
probably going to have a very wide assortment of tools that you are in no way going to just be able to intuitively figure out in 5 seconds, will probably require reading some guides or at least a lot of trial and error figuring things out

Sure some things like microwaves have really easy user interfaces that dont need explanation, but I don't want every program or tool that I use dumbed or cut down to the point of being that easy to use

>my personality is garbage and drives everybody away
fixed

spoken like a true incel

so why do so many people fail at making good user interfaces?

not him, but engineers generally suck at making things look nice, and designers generally suck at making things functional. If you can do both that's unironically a very useful talent/skill

tell that to the pajeets at microsoft

If your interface can be immediately understood from a glance then your software probably isn't doing anything important

nothing better than a well-designed CLI interface with logical command trees.

nice LARP

Real men use machine code.

pic related

Attached: 1546516199060.jpg (300x441, 36K)

That's pretty dumb. Cars have a really simple interface, but you still need to learn how to use it.

yeah that's a hard task.
i just hate the engineers vs designers war, i want everyone to work together and to accept critique from others.

>then your software probably isn't doing anything important
And that might be because the user hasn't done anything with it.

User interfaces are like bikes with training wheels though. Or suzuki swifts.

that's a pretty ignorant statement. There's tons of single use software in the financial and medical world that is vitally important (people's lives literally depend on it, or people would literally kill themselves if it failed) yet so easy a monkey could be taught how to use it. This is by design.

Do you really want your doctor or even medical tech having to consult the manual mid-procedure because the programmer's autism decided to make the software for the MRI machine cli-only?

>the difference between Chad and non-Chad is a complete skeletal restructure

Okay...? I mean, even if you think it's just looks, that's not really true. Physical defects are usually tightly coupled with mental defects. That Japanese AI was able to identify 88% of violent criminals in a random sampling based solely on their facial characteristics.

As someone who has actually seen the interface for an MRI machine I can tell you in all honesty that the person who created the quote in the OP would throw up in confusion and revulsion.

The kind of person who uses that quote thinks apple design is the pinnacle of quality.

If it makes you feel any better, the vast majority of the animal kingdom doesn't get to reproduce either. If we were lions, a more dominant alpha lion probably would have killed you as a cub or juvenile then raped your mom/sisters. If we were gorillas you would most likely not have a silver back and have to do beta things like grooming and not having sex with any of the females (they're all for chad silverback)

most animals who make it to maturity breed, animals aren't usually monogamous

this logic is so fucking stupid
>the difference between a retard and a non-retard is literally one chromosome xD

An MRI machine might have been a bad example, but still there's a reason they have a GUI and aren't solely text-based.

That's fucking epic!

That's not true.

In the case of animals like deer, sure there will be many males in the herd but only 1 will get to breed. Same with gorillas, walruses, baboons, etc, look up animals that form harems. Usually its one dominant male who comes in and kills the other dominant male, then kills all the babies and impregnates all the females. He doesn't let the smaller, weaker males mate with anyone, and these fights quite often go to the death

>Physical defects are usually tightly coupled with mental defects. That Japanese AI was able to identify 88% of violent criminals in a random sampling based solely on their facial characteristics.
So it's not them growing up with an intimidating looking face and learning how other people react to you? Or you "filling the role" of your facial characteristics by the simple conditioning of looking at your own face and then having other people react to you to make you think they get the same impression?

A lot of your personality is from your environment apparently and not your genes.

Attached: 1541293557171.jpg (1065x1375, 129K)

It means that you not only look like a faggot, but are almost likely to be a faggot too user.

Is this an experience thing? Because it sounds like you know about this.

Actually the less experience the better, most homos prefer to corrupt the inexperienced softcocks that don't know they're actually better off as a bitch.

>A lot of your personality is from your environment apparently and not your genes.
If that's true then why do ceo's/world leaders tend to be taller? I dont think there's a single US president who has ever been under 6'

i think, sometimes, interfaces can be devised that need explanation but in the end are more efficient. i suppose that depends on the understanding of the user

Now it really sounds like you know about this stuff.

this 100%. If I was some normie who had never touched a computer I would want to use GUI's like this, but otherwise it's just rarted

France's last president was notoriously tiny. Many are.
I think that might impact their selection for president in a different way other than because of their correlated personality. Tall presidents are needed to make the leader of the nation look stronger.

That's why Trump is a bit confusing because he looks like a clown in many ways at his age (he was fine in the past).

You have no idea.

Attached: whatareyoutalkinabout2.png (318x319, 95K)

>needing a UI
CLI is the best my man

They are a few phases when starting to use a new GUI. It goes from initial learning to advanced learning to pro usage with a phase of memorization in between each of these phases.
So yes you can explain efficient shortcuts and shit to allow experienced user to be more efficient, but first time user shouldn't need tutorials to use the tool in its most basic form.
Source is some academic shit I sure will never find again, you have to trust me on this one

*teleports behind you*
*ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -strict -2 -metadata:s:v rotate="90" -filter:v scale=1280x720 -c:a copy -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 20 -pix_fmt yuv420p -sn -hide_banner output.mp4*

Why don't they come with a tutorial mode?

When the complex is made less complex with only acceptable loss of control, that's good engineering. A child can turn up the heat in a house and it just werks. That child doesn't need to know how a gas fired boiler operates (it's more complex than you might believe) to safely, reliably and efficiently get the temperature in the house from 68 to 70.
Sometimes software needs to be complex because it offers a highly variable output and the user has to make all the decisions. Often though, software could do a lot more, but doesn't, or the operation is unintuitive for no reason. That's shit software; bad engineering.

Users are retarded and will ask about stupid things anyway, so why the fuck waste your time doing a "good UI"?

Taking pride in your work is a thing, and if you have any non-retarded users then they'll appreciate a good design.

Isn't an effective user interface both?

I don't see the analogy.

Find me a GUI wrapper for ffmpeg with a nonshit interface

it's just that when somebody who does know how to do both pops up, neither camp really wants to do shit so it all just piles up on that guy

t. software dev & ui designer

Or your users are brainlets

based black man

Handbrake.

Because user experience is a corporate money sink and a waste of time. They'll take the word of their code monkeys rather than actually listening to the users.

Because buying niggers is illegal here

not really. for example, LaTeX takes a bit of learning to grasp unlike a WYSIWYG editor where you can just hop in and get started. But anyone who has actually learnt LaTeX will tell you they'd rather castrate themselves with a rusty knife than manage their bibliographies, font sizes and sectionings Word-style.
sometimes investing just a bit of time in learning about the software you're gonna be using pays off.

People interpret differently

Wait so no chin is Chad? I'm confused, the writer of this meme doesn't seem to understand English.

also: good jokes are wasted on dumb people

damn that nigga swole af

Autistic retards take pride in UI that looks like shit and is impossible to learn how to use.
And Jow Forums is full of those.

ooga booga, command line is racist hwhite invention

Imagine being a GUI "programmer". Id kill myself

Take a look at this nigger's forehead. All the important parts of his brain are missing. That's why can't read man pages.

This. I'm glad that there are still people writing real operating systems with useful applications instead of just iToddler shit with big buttons that can't do anything.

Attached: 1548957314200.png (922x715, 282K)

ITT: SEETHING neckbeards.

>t. iNigger that doesn't know what a man page is

>neckbeards doesn't like nice GUI and graphic design
>neckbeards still like waifus and anime
???

Real Jow Forumsentoomen don't use user interfaces.

Correct.
Which is why android/IOS/Windows 10 are complete messes.

>Implying is impressive aesthetically wise

Attached: 8202454976_3702ab4dac_m.jpg (191x201, 16K)

>neckbeards still stuck in windows 95/98 GUI.
kys

Oops
>implying anime*
I'm an idiot.

If the guy on the left grew a small mustache, he'd look like Walt Disney.

>Why doesn't Jow Forums get this?
because if a nigger is selling something it means its just shit that only a nigger would think has any value

the fact this thread has this many replies only proves OP right, Jow Forums is literally autistic safespace

like anything worth it in life.

What is it with normalfags and these pictures where they have someone gesturing to something that has their argument or whatever written on it like it's the 100% truth?

Proof that this is one of the most retarded quotes in existence:

SCENARIO 1:
Person a - "You use a TilingWM? Why?"
Person b - "In all due respect, the convenience of graphical DEs in inarguable. But, you see, I don't like bloat. And controlling my Windows with a keyboard is more efficient and ergo-"
Person a - "I'm gonna have to stop you there. If you have to explain why you use a UI, it can't be good."

SCENARIO 2:
Person b - "You use a graphical DE? Why?"
Person a - "In all do respect, the efficiency of tiling WMs in inarguable. However, the effort necessary to learn WMs is just too high for me. Plus, it's high for tech illiterates like my grandma. Frankly, I think ALL deserve freedom, and don't require a time premium t-"
Person b - "I'm going to have to stop you there. If you have to explain why you use a UI, it can't be good."

I don't know how anything more than this analogy is necessary to debunk this.

Attached: 1491223201451.gif (236x224, 1.92M)

I didn't know Psycho-Pass was real life

i don't think OP is talking about explaining WHY you use a particular UI, it's more whether or not you have to explain HOW to use one

That's fair, thanks.
The quote is still retarded for being ambiguous like that, though.

i think that the premise of the OP is retarded, some UIs have to be complicated because of what the program is capable of. it would be unreasonable to expect users to intuitively know how to use every aspect of Photoshop, for example

Yea, totally agree. In fact, making UIs "intuitive" wherever possible often exactly makes them worse. Just look at Windows 10. That thing is bloated to the brim with hints that are useless to anyone marginally take savvy.

It really depends on the software. Software like Blender can't have a simple ui since what you can accomplish with it is diverse and complex. It definitely shouldn't be a motto for all software

IBM wrote a document called the "CUA (Common User Access) Basic Interface Design Guide". It makes a distinction between the terms "ease of use" and "ease of learning". "Ease of use" is related to long-term productivity, while "ease of learning" is related to the time it takes to reach the average level of productivity. These are related, but not equivalent. User interface design these days seems to have conflated the two, converging on the "ease of learning" definition.

If this kind of thing is interesting to you, I'd suggest reading the document in its original form - there's a lot of valuable information in there!

ibm.com/support/libraryserver/BOOKS/F29BDG00/CCONTENTS

But the desired output/use cases are simple for a thermostat. Software ike Cad or Maya can't be simplified because the software needs to be able to design something unique and complex. Many factors must be set to get the desired output. also when tools like photoshop try to simplify themselves with hot keys, users end up learning the extensive ui over learning hot keys.

>CLI interface

You're missing the point. Word and latex aren't trying to do the same thing.

The basics but no cli is not easy to understand. If I put you on a new shell unlike anything you used before with no documentation (because you don't know how to access it and no one else knows either) what you going to do?

Blender is the worst user interface ever concieved

You just type help and gives you all the possible commands

Hm... No.

Attached: 3443.jpg (1024x683, 400K)