Okay unironically what is the fucking point of this ?

okay unironically what is the fucking point of this ?

Attached: 20-167-458-V02.jpg (1280x960, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NohaUEnuEig
youtube.com/watch?v=ggIjr5Z0N10
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-optane-900p&num=4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't these have like a million times the endurance of a nand ssd?

write cache for qlc and tlc

are there any literal programs that require this kind of write speed ? i feel this is unnecessary flexing of tech and ultimately a waste of silicon by having it sold as a consumer product at this point

My reason was to move frequently modified blocks to 3d xpoint to preserve the limited write cycles on the qlc.

imagine having storage speeds compatible to your RAM speeds.

>we don't need advances in technology, it's fine what we have now. STOP ADVANCING!
that's not how progress works
don't need it? don't buy it
t. I like companies for their innovations

now, what's the point of this thread?

The point was to rival DIMMs' speed. Problem is they failed to do it, so now they market it as gamer shit. SAD!

Autistic screeching, as is the norm.

i can see this being reasonable justification
my brainlet head had assumed perhaps thered be data buffers that would limit processing despite the NVM being able to complete read write speeds ridiculously fast

i am not disputing the validity of technological advancement i just cant fathom any consumer programs that validate having this as a product right now

Keep imagining it.

imagine having self-destructing RAM

NVMe+RAID makes it a reality

not really tho

SSD alternative.

Real world use? Its the next best thing to RAM, which is hard to get and expensive in the terrabytes, so compute tasks that need that much will be finished a lot faster. And cheaper.

if there is little to no need of product like this, doesn't mean that we won't need this or faster storage devices in the future
you make no sense
again: don't need it? don't buy it
why in the hell you be upset with something existing?
just move on with your life, no one is forcing you too look at said product or buy it

i have one and it isnt fast enough

So you’re saying we should just stop advancing technology because you don’t need it? Fuck off brainlet

>Pros: Purchased when they first came out. Bench Marked in the top 99.9% and was 539% faster than the top 99.9% SSD/NVME drives previously bench marked. Loads DOOM levels significantly faster (less than 10 seconds) than any other drive I have tested to include Samsung "RED" Pro SSD's. Yes its expensive, so is a Lamborghini. You gotta pay to go Fast. This is not for the bargain bin guys or the AMD crowd. This drive is TOP SHELF, not Performance on a budget. System boots from power on to log-in in 8 seconds with bios post off. Installed with ease into my AzRock Z270 Extreme 4 Mobo, Intel Core i7-7700 KL processor, Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti, 32GB GSKILL Trident Z DDR4 3466 Memory. CPU is Overclocked to 5GHz using NZXT Kracken X62 mounted into a Thermaltake CORE P3 Case. Powered using an EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 Watt P2 Power Supply, Noctua Cooling Fans. HAS BEEN RUNNING GREAT for nearly a year; installed November 12, 2017, today is November 6, 2018
>Cons: I couldn't afford two at the time and I couldn't give it a 10 EGGS rating now!
>Other Thoughts: This drive will not improve the speed of your bargain bin over-hyped/overclocked "Insert Bargain Processor, Mother Board, memory Combo Names here". This is an accouterment to a high performance CPU/Mother Board/Memory combination. If you built a "high performance" PC using Volkswagen level cheap parts don't expect this Smoking Fast corvette drive to bring it all together. You'll be disappointed!

>Incel
>Advancing technology
I sure enjoyed the advances in tech with those 10 years of 4 cores 4 thread

based AMD redpilled

Fast storage for cache and swap for anything that needs it. It's cheaper than DDR while close in latency and access times to DDR.

Your reading comprehension is pretty low, user. Consider re-reading everything related to my post and try again.

I don't understand this mumbling about limited resource of SSDs.
Any memory has limited read/write resource, SSDs are much more predictable at least.

Attached: 1547405897008.png (1712x284, 24K)

>floptane

Optane DIMM is the reason that Cascade lake sell like hot cake

Lol'd

ah good old stuff when l1 did some testing and optane was faster on a amd system than a intel system

large datacenters or niche home servers that use hundreds of virtual machines

Ever try to load tarkov or gtav?

>The point was to rival DIMMs' speed.
The point was to close the latency gap between volatile storage, and non volatile storage.
>Problem is they failed to do it, so now they market it as gamer shit.
But they accomplished what they set out, and it's only a good choice for data centers since games won't really benefit all that much realistically.
>SAD!
It's sad that you don't know anything, but can still post on Jow Forums.

Meanwhile AMD's advancement's are
>copy intel
>pay for alternative ad campaigns
>introduce high dollar mainstream CPU segment

>he thinks we're advancing
Just because it's a bigger number than the previous version doesn't mean it 'advanced'.

Name a legit innovation in the last 50 years.

My dick advancing into you mom's cunt.

Is it faster than my 970 Evo? If so I bought the wrong SSD.

Yes, RAM alternative.

6-7 times at random read

rekt nigger

No point at all.
It would have a point if Intel released it on schedule, but they delayed it for a few years and in the meantime NAND mostly caught up.
Also roughly every year of the delay Intel chopped off a zero off of the claimed specs so when it came out it was rather unimpressive.
Right now Optane has an edge in a few very specific workloads like if you're VERY latency-sensitive, but in 99.99% scenarios NAND is just as good and massively cheaper.

>SSD alternative.
wrong.

Underageb&

>cascading failure
?

The speed is nice, but what he meant by endurance was that it can withstand more read/write cycles than NAND, which is a big deal.

Its storage, aka an alternative.

Nope.

Attached: endurance-final.gif (757x1036, 44K)

This is the correct answer. They failed at making what they wanted but still have to sell them to please investors.

It's not the correct answer though.

no, it's for caching

For home use, caching a HDD with Optane is pointless because for the combined price you can just get a SSD. Caching a SSD with Optane is also pointless because you're getting like +5% speed for +80% price.

>caching
That is storage, buddy.

caching is repeated re-writing.
storage is repeated reading.

fuck off back to /v/ you braindead moron

Databases

>name a legit innovation in the last 50 years
what is 64bit CPUs
what is flash memory
what is better CPU design
what is fiber optics
what is wifi
what is 5G (and pervious Gs)

looks like you're confusing innovation with invention
here's a friendly definition of innovation by merriam webster:
1 : the introduction of something new
2 : a new idea, method, or device : novelty
if you gonna argue that, for example, storage devices isn't new thing, because 100 years back they had heavy water canisters with microphone on top and speaker on bottom as storage device
then you're fucking retarded and I have nothing else to tell you

>caching is repeated re-writing.
Is this what they teach you comp org now?

They tried to brand it as "caching for SSDs" to increase volume, early SSDs did the same for harddrives.

If it wasn't clear, it was pretty tongue in cheek because its not worth it either as storage or cache to the normal consumer.

caching is not long term storage, fucktard.

Optane is for caching.
SSDs are for long term storage.

youtube.com/watch?v=NohaUEnuEig
youtube.com/watch?v=ggIjr5Z0N10

the other way around, friend

Real time ray tracing

AMD's advancements:
>MOAR CORES

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel-optane-900p&num=4

>don't need it? don't buy it
Based retard.

>why in the hell you be upset with something existing?
Ah yes, because mass production of technology doesn't take a toll on the climate.

and more efficiency

>Muh climate change
Come back when the day you stop living in a fantasy

And more latency.

>copy intel
since when did Intel had "MOAR CORES"?

>introduce high dollar mainstream CPU segment
like i9 and now i7?

>muh climate!
we need fast storage devices to hold all climate data for speedy access so we can save climate faster
retard

The first m2 versions were tiny (32/60GB) things. So they marketed them to the only niche they could find which was as a cache for shit boxes to speed up their crap spinning rust, their example were dual core i3s with an hdd vs the same with optane cache it was desperate but they had to put out a product to say it's shipped.
On the other side they were presented as a write cache for nas and san systems where admitedly they do quite well with the low queue depth performance and non volatility with no use of onboard ram like normal ssds.

I have a single use case for them at work but I'd need some decent way to make the optane drives portable and external, currently I copy 400GB game builds to usb3 ssds over night as a TB of mx500 is £130 whilst optane is £900 and needs to be plugged into the motherboard so I can't do 6 of them at a time. (delta/rsync crashes).

>since when did Intel had "MOAR CORES"?
Xeons, and hedt had most cores, and it
>like i9 and now i7?
No, like the $500 1800x wwith 16 usable pcie lanes, and dual channel ram silly.
That segment didn't exist before AMD introduced it.

>*HT

and how exactly does that impact performance in real life cases?

>how does higher latency negatively affect performance in real life cases
user can't be serious.

What is the "LS Swap" of SSDs

give me some examples if its so obvious because i've seen plenty of benchmarks and zen comes out first in everything except where frequency matters, and in those tests it's not far behind, and none of them lists any latency issues.

Not playing this game again.
>give examples
>examples are deemed not important enough by amdfag, because ashes of the singularity, and resident evil is playable

It just gets too tiresome, so just throw it in to the pile of shit that just doesn't matter anymore.

>Xeons
Xeons actually benefit from more cores though, your average gamer and boomer dad won't.

so you're playing the "lets compare workstation chips in gaming to prove one side's higher freq and lower latency is best at everything"

ok gotcha

No. I'm claiming that latency matters, but am tired of posting why, because you the amdfag will just say
>lul I don't care about latency, or that use case, io issues, or anything else, because the couple of vidya gaymes I play are all I need
If you don't know why latency is important then it's outside of your use case anyways, and you're literally not worth talking to.

More shekels for Intel

This, but not ironically.

>im an amd fanboi because i ask for examples
ok senpai. guess it's too technical for even gamersnexus to bring up that point, a brainlet like me with my 2500k is just an AyyMD fanboy

Attached: 1431921899256.jpg (171x208, 11K)

Anyone remember
>AMD Radeon SSD's
and
>AMD Radeon Ram

how fast is it and how much is it and how many gb is it?

i need a VM new workstation hd

>volkswagen level cheap parts
>builds world class rally cars

Gamers Nexus
>Gamers
Maybe Audio, Video, Software production, data center, scientific, medical. and RTOS Nexus would be better at explaining.
It's probably out of Gamers Nexus's scope.

It fell short of it's original sales pitches about being 1000x faster, but it still wipes the floor with everyone when it comes to random reads and writes.
It improved where all other SSDs have failed to make dramatic gains.
Unfortunately it's like 5x more expensive than the NVMe drives.

Attached: sustained-rr.png (650x398, 38K)

i always wanted one of these to blow out benchmarks

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 3.46.21 PM.png (970x632, 846K)

Imagine if they used ecc ram.

And that's your regular dirty cheap mlc samsung pro ssd vs the micron/intel version of slc a.k.a. 3dxpoint.

post something to back up your shit then, faggot

Samefag here
The ram came with free amd branded ramdisk software (which was also kind of free for sub 4gb ramdiscs), so you kind of saved $20 on the software.

It doesn't concern you though /v/ shitter you would already know if it did.

>it still wipes the floor with everyone when it comes to random reads and writes.
You don't know that IOPs are an architectural problem.
If samsung or anyone else wanted to have a ssd with that much random w/r they could do it. Stacking more layers and chips, more ram for the controller and there's your random i/o beast... But products are built around the useage patterns. There's no such use-case where you'd want 1GB/s random r/w.
When I/O reached a nice level for ssds, companies focused on making cheap nand, tlc and mlc, more durable and cheaper.
Intel repackaged slc with some micron IPs and everyone got crazy for like 1 week... Then they went back to their samsung ssds.
The funniest part is that they hacked 3dxpoint to work on zen and it got better speeds than on intel platforms.

>Anyone remember
>>AMD Radeon SSD's
>and
>>AMD Radeon Ram
Anyone remember when amd designed and fabricated memory chips?
No...that's why you are surprised by amd ssds and ram dimms.

>Anyone remember when amd designed and fabricated memory chips?
That special $1000 ram?

then why are a lot of companies involved in the things you mentioned switching to Zen?

brainlet intel shill

List of companies?

the point is to soon replace ram completely

Fucking kikenigger. If latency matters than why are Microsoft and Sony using AMD hardware?
Incelaviv and novideo can't even sell their garbage hardwares for console.
Brainlet

>only two uses of computers are servers and muh gaymes